Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Green Wing posted:

Yet to post: Buncasti; Cloacamazing; My Second Re-Reg.

I mean it's day 1 and there's nothing to go on, and I feel nervous when I'm not doing something which is arguably useful.

Previously in in-person Werewolf or whatever, I'd suggest skipping the execution on day 1, but since we don't know how many scum there are (right?) and we get the information when we execute, I guess there's little reason not to execute on day 1?

Timezones. I was sleeping. Probably should have picked a vampire character. Speaking of, are we supposed to post in character or is that only for the inevitable death scenes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

My Second Re-Reg posted:

I feel like everybody playing this has way more experience in what "forums mafia" is/does than I do. Unless anybody can convince me otherwise, I'm going for whatever vote seems the most chaotic at the last minute.

Don't worry, I can tutorialize for you!

If you are a law-abiding citizen of this beautiful suburb, you will naturally be confused at to what is going on. Sadly, criminal elements seem to have made their home here and are trying to destroy all that is good and wholesome. We need to root out this evil as soon as possible! Unfortunately, we have no idea who these evil miscreants are, so that is going to be a little bit difficult. As time goes on, we will need to gather our collective wisdom to uncover them and prevent them from taking over our beloved hometown. Some of us might be more helpful than others, but will likely fear to speak up, as this will put them in grave danger. However, remember that even the lowliest Newbie can still do their part to keep our town safe and recover the Pong upper paddle! As of now, we do need to act and vote for a suspicious character as soon as possible, but there is a danger. The criminal elements are better organized than we are. They know who they can trust, we don't. So there is a good chance they will attempt to sway the public vote into descending on an innocent. Stay vigilant!

If you are one of those evil scum, I have nothing to say to you. Wait, actually I do: Return the upper paddle at once and renounce your evil ways! Meanwhile, I vehemently refuse to tutorialize for you! Go ask your fellow scum, you probably have a hideout somewhere. A scummy hideout!

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Still unconvinced; voting chaos

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

wologar posted:

Yes please, everyone should buy avatars so I can be the only Stupid Newbie.

I got bad news for you...

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
I very much agree with the idea of executing someone today. For one, it gives us something to go off of on Day 2 since we do get to know their alignment. Also, not executing is giving up one of our precious chances to kill a scum, even if it's just a shot in the dark. Remember that in the absence of any role abilities that can kill, this is town's only way to remove scum. And depending on how many scum there are, we might not have bad odds just spinning the wheel and hitting someone at random (not that I'm saying we should do that).

Some have brought up the idea of voting out the only "veteran" player - Plastic could be a dangerous scum, especially if he's advising the others. But at the same time, he could also be an asset to town if he's not scum. Though I'm not entirely sure how much that game experience would help when everyone else is inexperienced - some it comes down to meta-knowledge and "knowing the players", which might not be especially useful in a game full of newbies.

In summary, scum should raise their hands so we can vote them out early

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Speaking of the number of scum players... My understanding is that usually, somewhere between a third to a quarter of the players are scum in a typical game. This is a newbie game so that might not apply, but if that ratio holds we probably have about three or four scum with us at the moment. Something to keep in mind.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
My limited experience suggests we should be trying to lunch someone day one, even if a random guess would be more likely to hit town than scum. Plastic Automaton, does Green Wing's logic check out to you? Help us out here.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Yeah, from what I understand not executing is a gift to the scum because it gives them control, and that's before you factor in that votes give precious information. So yeah, we should vote for someone even if ATM I don't have strong feelings about anyone in particular.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Yes, we should definitely vote. I have no idea who though.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

we could vote for either green wing or jadecore because both have vaguely indicated being reluctant to vote at some point. but thats a lousy reason especially because both of those posts were before it was established that voting someone out only benefits the town

alternatively we could go with wologars reasoning and vote out plastic automaton. and also because getting voted out on day one probably won't feel as bad for a veteran compared to a newbie

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Yeah, in the absence of any better choices I might vote Plastic merely to make this a "pure" newbie game as was originally intended. That's sort of a last resort for me, though. I'd much rather vote for someone actually giving scum vibes. So far there hasn't been much of that, the closest thing being Jade for maintaining a reluctance to vote but that doesn't mean much coming from a newbie.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
…I guess this is the mafia newbie experience, huh? :v:

Really though, y’all have been making actually really good arguments for why we should flip someone right away overnight. The extent of my logic was “well it seems like a dick move to pick someone to off already”; I haven’t been studying the statistical meta. But y’all have Proper Reasoning and stuff. So sure, I’ll vote for someone.

That being said I don’t know who rn (especially bc wologar apologized for being kinda harsh)

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

NeverHelm posted:

Yeah, in the absence of any better choices I might vote Plastic merely to make this a "pure" newbie game as was originally intended. That's sort of a last resort for me, though. I'd much rather vote for someone actually giving scum vibes. So far there hasn't been much of that, the closest thing being Jade for maintaining a reluctance to vote but that doesn't mean much coming from a newbie.

I think a vote for a veteran, because they are a veteran, would be a mislay. Much better to vote for vibes, however weak, than for a, like, game design reason - the latter becomes a defence for the vote so removes information from this day. Too easy to dismiss later questioning and vote count analysis with "well, I thought we agreed to just make this a newbie game".

cuntman.net posted:

we could vote for either green wing or jadecore because both have vaguely indicated being reluctant to vote at some point. but thats a lousy reason especially because both of those posts were before it was established that voting someone out only benefits the town

Nah I said that in *in person* werewolf that's often my move but that I didn't see an advantage here. Just mulling, but indicated the opposite.

Jadecore posted:

Really though, y’all have been making actually really good arguments for why we should flip someone right away overnight. The extent of my logic was “well it seems like a dick move to pick someone to off already"

I think it's always going to feel like that, I figured it's better to rip the plaster off early :v:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

NeverHelm posted:

Ok, this is where I'm lost, how does somebody give scum vibes right at the beginning? Like what should I be looking for right now?
If the scum are able to coordinate, I assume they'll target somebody the first night and so the rest of us will need to work together to counter that, otherwise I'd just follow MSRR and spin the wheel at the last minute.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Bucnasti posted:

Ok, this is where I'm lost, how does somebody give scum vibes right at the beginning? Like what should I be looking for right now?
If the scum are able to coordinate, I assume they'll target somebody the first night and so the rest of us will need to work together to counter that, otherwise I'd just follow MSRR and spin the wheel at the last minute.

How does anybody give up scum vibes any time? Through the things they're suggesting and where they're trying to pull the conversation. It's going to be weak in day 1, but the resulting flip gives that information and puts the votes into context that can be used in future days.

Countering at night implies role use. Unless protective roles get very lucky (or even exist) somebody will flip at night - if none of us have put forward arguments on this day, that flip won't be information. So it's up to townies to make those arguments and add to content.

Simply spinning the wheel at the last moment...not good. No information, not useful. MSRR?

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Green Wing posted:

Simply spinning the wheel at the last moment...not good. No information, not useful. MSRR?

I think they mean My Second Re Reg, who has decided to vote whatever’s chaos?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Well right now the only one who has actually voted put their vote on Jadecore. Nobody else seems willing to actually commit right now, so we need some better reads or this is going to come down to a last-minute chaos vote and that only favors scum.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

NeverHelm posted:

merely to make this a "pure" newbie game as was originally intended

Jadecore posted:

So is anybody else in this thread ACTUALLY a newcomer to this whole thing? Or is it just me over here by myself with no clue what's going on while a bunch of Mafia Veterans stand around and act like it's just another day at the Guessing Game Inc office?

Because at this point, in line with my stated chaos vote, I'm going to start targeting people who keep going on about making this a "newbie experience" while obviously not being newbies themselves. Hearing everyone talk about who's a veteran and who isn't just shows that you're all vets and can't be trusted.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

My Second Re-Reg posted:

So is anybody else in this thread ACTUALLY a newcomer to this whole thing?

Legit, I’ve never done one of these before, I was going bleh at getting the first vote at me.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I've never played a mafia game, on this forum or another. I'm just trying my best to osmose some vague understanding of how to read other people from the threads linked by OP and pretending like I know what I'm doing. Truth is I have no clue who to vote for and I'm suspicious towards people who do.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Alrighty, then I double down on my previous statement - I'm now headhunting people who obviously know wtf they're talking about and are trying to steer the rest of us down their own path.

NeverHelm, you're my first vote.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Oh while I remember, since now discussions are happening more freely and I'm pretty confident the no-vote argument has been nipped in the bud I'm going to ##unvote and build up a more proper case later today/early tomorrow morning once there's more to go on, now the content and positions are slowly trickling in.

Sorry if I'm posting too much and too early, I just haven't played mafia in over a decade - and only once online - and realised how much I missed it. :shobon:

I'm also super unemployed so spent a lot of time reading the wiki and other games last night.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Green Wing makes good points. I could subscribe to her newsletter.

I also relate to Jadecore. My brief stint in IRL Werewolf was cut short because I felt like a dick eliminating people on incomplete information as a villager or lying to them as a werewolf.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
My experience comes exclusively from drunkenly playing One Night Warewolf a number of times, and watching people at a con play a massive in person game once.

So we gotta vote somebody off, and the good guys should decide here, or the bad guys will do it privately right? Even if it's not the correct choice it's better than letting the bad guys direct the first move. Am I getting this correct?

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

My Second Re-Reg posted:

So is anybody else in this thread ACTUALLY a newcomer to this whole thing? Or is it just me over here by myself with no clue what's going on while a bunch of Mafia Veterans stand around and act like it's just another day at the Guessing Game Inc office?

Because at this point, in line with my stated chaos vote, I'm going to start targeting people who keep going on about making this a "newbie experience" while obviously not being newbies themselves. Hearing everyone talk about who's a veteran and who isn't just shows that you're all vets and can't be trusted.

I've only played IRL Werewolf and Avalon like thrice. I've been reading through some threads in the Game Room (https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=103), though, where I found out that NeverHelm has actually played before!!

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Oh, just once according to Votefinder, so nevermind.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Bucnasti posted:

So we gotta vote somebody off, and the good guys should decide here, or the bad guys will do it privately right? Even if it's not the correct choice it's better than letting the bad guys direct the first move. Am I getting this correct?

What I think happens is the scum just sit back and let the town randomly set their sights on someone and then scum comes in later on and try to tip the scales towards someone they know is town. So maybe we should be focusing on whoever seems too content to sit back and not point any fingers at all.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Also LupusAter, so w/e.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I wish I could delete my posts now.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

I think one thing to keep in mind - I may have said this before but it's worth emphasising - is that people are going to get unceremoniously removed from the game anyway (through night actions) and that it's something that could happen to any of us so, like. While it can feel bad to be voted out early on shaky premises, there's actually a page I found on the wiki (that I'm not sure is updated any more) but "games that voted out scum D1" so I think it's a very rare thing - so it's just the way of the game that you gotta be brutal

Bucnasti posted:

We all decide here - including the bad guys (scum) hiding among us. And yeah, during the night they will kill somebody anyway (unless there are protective roles and they get lucky). So yeah, you've got it right.

One thing I'm totally undecided on is whether it's good or not to kill a lurker in day 1. Like...it seems like that's a good scum tactic, but I love information and data and loathe to do something that gains so little (also I'm not sure anybody is specifically lurking at this point, idk I haven't done a post count)

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Green Wing posted:

One thing I'm totally undecided on is whether it's good or not to kill a lurker in day 1. Like...it seems like that's a good scum tactic, but I love information and data and loathe to do something that gains so little (also I'm not sure anybody is specifically lurking at this point, idk I haven't done a post count)

(to be clear, I mean - lurking seems like a good scum tactic. But then I guess there are rules against that, so...ok I'm going to keep my thoughts to myself for a little bit and come back later like I said I would. Sorry, unemployed, excited by the game, posting too much)

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
My only experience with playing Mafia is Gnosia, Raging Loop, and a bit of Town of Salem. All of those have clearly defined roles that are the same for each match, so this whole not knowing literally anything thing is quite new to me.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Could you elaborate on why you think this is a tell?

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Alrighty, then I double down on my previous statement - I'm now headhunting people who obviously know wtf they're talking about and are trying to steer the rest of us down their own path.

NeverHelm, you're my first vote.

No hard feelings! Though I do find it somewhat ironic that you're seemingly trying to rebel against my "veteran influence" (from a single game, mind) by following the spirit of what I suggested that I personally might do if I had no better option: Voting for someone who is, going by your posts in the thread so far, a veteran in your eyes. Or are you actually saying that you think voting out someone who "sounds competent" (thanks, I guess?) is a good idea? It's not like competence by itself is a scum signal, any more than being a veteran is.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

NeverHelm posted:

No hard feelings! Though I do find it somewhat ironic that you're seemingly trying to rebel against my "veteran influence" (from a single game, mind) by following the spirit of what I suggested that I personally might do if I had no better option: Voting for someone who is, going by your posts in the thread so far, a veteran in your eyes. Or are you actually saying that you think voting out someone who "sounds competent" (thanks, I guess?) is a good idea? It's not like competence by itself is a scum signal, any more than being a veteran is.

Green Wing posted:

Could you elaborate on why you think this is a tell?

I think you two misunderstand me - I'm not attempting to apply game logic to my actions.

I'm spraying down the room with a tommy gun at this point, it's just that NeverHelm is the one putting themselves closest to the heater.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Green Wing posted:

Nah I said that in *in person* werewolf that's often my move but that I didn't see an advantage here. Just mulling, but indicated the opposite.

what makes it different in person? sounds like youve killed before and youll kill again

seriously though im genuinely curious as to how that works

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

cuntman.net posted:

what makes it different in person? sounds like youve killed before and youll kill again

seriously though im genuinely curious as to how that works

tbh I'm not sure, possibly because I was in my first year at university at the time, and an idiot. Also they were sort of wacky 40-person randomised setup games where it was possible there were no scum at all, or lots of factions. They were a mess.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Now that would be a fun setup. A game where everyone is town and the hidden winning condition is to vote on no-execution three consecutive times.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Oh, just in case, I was musing about a possible game setup for another time. I highly doubt we're on a Vault-11 situation here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Isn’t that basically Vault 11 in Fallout: New Vegas?