Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

gohuskies posted:

I don't know if staff at the Tour or at QS are responsible for choosing the photo but whoever did is a genuine hero.

Dunno what the crowd mentality for these hype events is, but they shoulda started a CA-VEN-DISH chant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Unbelievable amount of ill will towards Quickstep in the cycling press.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

serious gaylord posted:

Good. They murdered my boys Cav and Alaphilippe. Whoever is responsible for putting Cav on the big screen is a hero, that was some quality trolling.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Danish police getting in on the action

https://twitter.com/cyclingpro/status/1542397472189960192?t=vt1U3rQIGDxZz28XwLtFDA&s=19

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

My dog picked G, so I guess I’m all in on the Ineos hype train this year.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

This Bahrain story might be the result of a prank?

Link

https://incyclingveritas.wordpress.com/2022/06/29/jai-piege-antoine-vayer-et-thierry-vildary/

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

serious gaylord posted:

english language press, not surprised

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

it's also the result of the same French investigation according to CN

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Quick question before the Tour:

In terms of pro sports how popular is cycling in Europe? I’m assuming football is far and away #1 but are there countries where cycling is the #2 or 3 sport? If someone could make an analogy to American pro sports that would be great.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
Here in Belgium it's very definitely #2 after football. I don't know enough about American pro sports to make analogies though.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Actual Dutch people may know better than me but I'd guess it's like 4th here? Definitely below football, F1, maybe speedskating. Tom Dumoulin was always big news though.

In the UK it's pretty far down the list.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Ganna, Wout and Pogacar are setting off 1 minute after each other in the TT.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Actual participation in competitive cycling is probably pretty low down the ranks in the UK, but casual cycling is reasonably large. As a spectator sport it depends entirely on how much those casuals and the wider population can be stirred up. People will turn out for a big road race if they think it's an event.

The #1 sport by participation in the UK used to be angling. Dunno if it still is.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:

Heliosicle posted:

Actual Dutch people may know better than me but I'd guess it's like 4th here? Definitely below football, F1, maybe speedskating. Tom Dumoulin was always big news though.

In the UK it's pretty far down the list.

It depends a bit on the region, but i would say that on the whole cycling is definitely the number 2 sport in the netherlands. Maybe this is land hockey erasure but that's okay.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

nawilo_420 posted:

It depends a bit on the region, but i would say that on the whole cycling is definitely the number 2 sport in the netherlands. Maybe this is land hockey erasure but that's okay.

It's called field hockey, you swiss gently caress

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:

Smirr posted:

It's called field hockey, you swiss gently caress

i dont know how it is called in english op because in dutch it's just called 'hockey', and it's exclusively played by douchebags. basically the lacrosse of the netherlands (american sports analogy)

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Ganna, Wout and Pogacar are setting off 1 minute after each other in the TT.

https://twitter.com/AG2RCITROENTEAM/status/1542498595370201090?t=MuiUdTMXdBjgJo5Ks-QpzA&s=19

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

nawilo_420 posted:

yeah, you're right. barring the Olympics it's either skating or cycling to come second and those are seasonal

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Eric Heiden dabbled in pro cycling late in his career and I remember stories about how some of the Dutch riders were practically awe-struck at having him in the peloton lol

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

UCI have just dropped the requirement for teams with 2+ positive covid cases to drop out, and also appear to be allowing riders with positive cases to remain in the race. I’m sure that’ll end well.

https://twitter.com/nealrogers/status/1541793595056848896?s=20&t=qeBGMQFaxyf603WJYVA2Hw

The solution to covid positives removing half the peloton is to stop removing covid positives from the peloton. Surely this won't backfire in a horrible and easily predictable way.

https://twitter.com/AG2RCITROENTEAM/status/1542450557520121857

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I haven't been this hyped for a TDF in a while, which probably means it'll suck.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

I haven't been this hyped for a TDF in a while, which probably means it'll suck.

Hell yeah

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Is there a discord or something for live chatting, or is it just this thread?

Skarsnik posted:

Hell yeah
:ohdear:

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

My dog picked G, so I guess I’m all in on the Ineos hype train this year.

I'm gonna need you to pet this good dog.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 1, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Double-post but, is there any chance that one of you fine folks not from Denmark, can record the opening programming for the Grand Depart? Preferably in English, if at all possible.
I'd love to see how other countries cover it.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.europol.europa.eu/media-press/newsroom/news/doping-crackdown-in-cycling

quote:

Between 27 and 30 June, a total of 14 locations were searched in 6 countries. Three people were interrogated. The investigation is ongoing and the evidence seized is being forensically examined.

The properties of several riders and their staff were searched in Belgium, Spain, Croatia, Italy, Poland and Slovenia.
A few pictures in there, here's one showing some pills and stuff:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I would expect a team doctor to be carrying a wide range of supplements, generic medications for common illnesses and painkillers of various strengths. That doesn't look like anything excessive for them to be holding.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Surely even if teams are doping (ofc the are) they're all way beyond the level of keeping dodgy poo poo in Tour team hotel rooms?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I'm so hype!!

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Rainy course and there's already been some tarmac eaten. Hope it stays wet for Ganna, Wout and Pogacar :getin:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Crashing in that clown suit has got to suck

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

peanut- posted:

Surely even if teams are doping (ofc the are) they're all way beyond the level of keeping dodgy poo poo in Tour team hotel rooms?

I'd imagine so unless the team is a Pro/Continental Italian team at the Giro

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

bit wet like.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Laughing every time the commentators refer to the riders entering the little mermaid

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Hell yeah, Big Matty

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Disc tri spokes look rad

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

StarkingBarfish posted:

Rainy course and there's already been some tarmac eaten. Hope it stays wet for Ganna, Wout and Pogacar :getin:
Let it be wet for Ganna, Wout and Pogacar, and dry for Mads Pedersen. :denmark:

Smirr posted:

Crashing in that clown suit has got to suck
There's not much protection in it, that's for sure.

HappyCamperGL posted:

bit wet like.
A real Danish summer. :allears:

StarkingBarfish posted:

Laughing every time the commentators refer to the riders entering the little mermaid
:laffo:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That corner doesn't get any nicer looking.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
The road surface looks like pure poo poo too, loads of manholes, patches, paint markings... it's a real fucker of a course for wet weather and I love it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Roglic's massive arse not looking so massive this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:
So much paint in these corners. Making me pucker up just watching it.