Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

explosivo posted:

Does Good Company play like a management game or is it more of a factory-themed puzzler like that Automachef game that came out a bit ago? I always assumed the latter but I'm watching Orbital Potato play and this looks pretty intriguing. Recent reviews seem a bit all over the place though.

It's more like a regular management game. The layout for your factory is pretty freeform since different stations are connected by logistic employee and they are very flexible in terms of pathing and range. You also decide what you want to make, what kind of parts you want to research and put into your product, etc.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That's cool, I'm watching this vid now and I think I was sorely mistaken by what this game was because this looks neat.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I have no idea how to increase the number of things you're supposed to be making in Good Company.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it's ugly, but it's 3 trophies :colbert:

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Mayveena posted:

I have no idea how to increase the number of things you're supposed to be making in Good Company.

To unlock new product categories, you need insight points (gained from researching new parts, advancing product level, doing company milestones). To increase total demand for a product, you need to advance product level.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 1, 2022

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

pedro0930 posted:

To unlock new product categories, you need insight points (gained from researching new parts, advancing product level, doing company milestones). To increase total demand for a product, you need to advance product level.

I misread what the game wanted me to do. Once I got past that I now have a battery permanently stuck to my mouse. So I guess I'll be starting over again.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mayveena posted:

I misread what the game wanted me to do. Once I got past that I now have a battery permanently stuck to my mouse. So I guess I'll be starting over again.

Put it into your inventory bar at the bottom.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Mayveena posted:

Physically?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm thinking of picking up Project Hospital after burning out on Two Point Hospital around level six or seven. It's a good game, but a little samey and the jokes don't completely carry it. And I think reading about people breaking the game buy putting 100 diagnostic boosting things in one room did it in for me.

Project Hospital is more "real life" and less humorous and that might tickle me. I'm just debating picking up the full thing for €25 or the base game for about €12. It's rare I play a game enough to make use of extra content.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Wolfy posted:

Has anyone given Travelers Rest a shot? I like the idea but I'm not sure why.

If you can stand the art, it’s a lot of fun. The core gameplay loop is making food/drinks then selling it from the bar the next day. You get almost complete control over what kind of “tavern” you are. You control when and for how long you are open. If you want to pretend you are first watch and only serve breakfast, you can do that. If you want to stay open 18 hours a day, you can do that too.

The game has had a lot of improvements if you haven’t played in a while. The area outside the tavern is now much larger and you can farm almost anywhere. All woodworking and metalworking tasks have been moved outside, which makes it difficult to duck out long enough to do it in the middle of the day. I found myself closing for a whole day every few days or for part of every day in order to progress that part of the game. Right now, I think it may be more cost-effective to just buy barrels and tables from the mail, but not overwhelmingly so.

Eventually you will unlock the option to rent rooms and hire staff to work in the tavern for you if you want.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

i got an oxygen not included in the steam sale on a lark seems like it should be good

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

My economy in W&R is in a continuous state of dying on account of me not immediately going for oil processing as a money printer (and playing on harder settings so I can't afford near as much infrastructure), but I'm at least making a nice looking republic this time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is that a silo mod !?
I may have to get that

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

euphronius posted:

Is that a silo mod !?
I may have to get that

Yup, it's here. Probably 2/3 of my workshop buildings come from this guy. They're good models.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A big silo is generally quite important because you get a year's worth of grain produced within a month or two, and then you have to store it over the rest of the year while you make stuff out of it.

Which I think with the silos the game gives you would take, like, 20 of them lmao.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mrenda posted:

I'm thinking of picking up Project Hospital after burning out on Two Point Hospital around level six or seven. It's a good game, but a little samey and the jokes don't completely carry it. And I think reading about people breaking the game buy putting 100 diagnostic boosting things in one room did it in for me.

Project Hospital is more "real life" and less humorous and that might tickle me. I'm just debating picking up the full thing for €25 or the base game for about €12. It's rare I play a game enough to make use of extra content.

Yeah, I remember that turning me off of Two Point Hospital as well, but also I remember it being necessary to do because you'd get these huge bottlenecks at the diagnosis stage because of how long diagnosing the higher level maladies took. I hear it has been fixed now though.

From what little I played of Project Hospital, it felt more like a sandbox to me. There are so many furnishings and doodads and poo poo to place, kinda like The Sims. If anyone can speak to the level of simulation/management that exists (money, patients, etc) that'd be great.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My purchase this steam sale was W&R, did a couple tutorials, got bored of them, started a fresh game and spent an hour trying to figure out why my cement plant wasn't accepting coal deliveries. Eventually figured out that the icon for coal ore is different from the processed coal that the factory wants, and I needed a facility to run that step.

My own comfort level with these types of games did me in, I am so used to coal coming out of the ground in a perfectly usable state.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

xzzy posted:

My purchase this steam sale was W&R, did a couple tutorials, got bored of them, started a fresh game and spent an hour trying to figure out why my cement plant wasn't accepting coal deliveries. Eventually figured out that the icon for coal ore is different from the processed coal that the factory wants, and I needed a facility to run that step.

My own comfort level with these types of games did me in, I am so used to coal coming out of the ground in a perfectly usable state.

It gets me too. Here's my embarrassing one: I've sunk about 50 hours in in the past two weeks, I've looked at the buttons near constantly, and I only just figured out last night that the underground power lines both exist and can almost completely substitute for the above ground ones (except for backbone power).
The tutorials are a little rough. Learning through practice is about the only way to make it work, and even then the game is not always very communicative about what you should be doing.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

My embarrassing story is that played probably hundreds of hours since the patch that added building mirroring (press T) and it took an offhand post in the dedicated thread for me to learn about it.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

It's been said, but the W&R tutorial is 100% "here are the buttons to press" and 0% "here is why and/or when you should do this".

SkyeAuroline posted:

My economy in W&R is in a continuous state of dying on account of me not immediately going for oil processing as a money printer (and playing on harder settings so I can't afford near as much infrastructure), but I'm at least making a nice looking republic this time.

I tried the medium starting cash option once, and pretty quickly noped back to the easy amount. It's trivial do to loans, so the difference just ends up being delaying (or preventing) when the interest payments start.

Also turned off fires, because they add nothing and I ended up having a building burn down that was about 2m outside of the radius of my existing fire station.

My favorite part of the W&R thread is even people with ASA and Owlfancier amounts of time and expertise are like gently caress it, easy cash and no fires is way more enjoyable than playing Cosmonaut mode "correctly"

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Blowjob Overtime posted:

It's been said, but the W&R tutorial is 100% "here are the buttons to press" and 0% "here is why and/or when you should do this".

I tried the medium starting cash option once, and pretty quickly noped back to the easy amount. It's trivial do to loans, so the difference just ends up being delaying (or preventing) when the interest payments start.

Also turned off fires, because they add nothing and I ended up having a building burn down that was about 2m outside of the radius of my existing fire station.

My favorite part of the W&R thread is even people with ASA and Owlfancier amounts of time and expertise are like gently caress it, easy cash and no fires is way more enjoyable than playing Cosmonaut mode "correctly"

Yeah, I'm not doing full cosmonaut personally. For the run I posted a screenshot from, I'm doing medium money, no water (hell mechanics that make no sense) or seasons (the map is intended to be "tropical"), and no "complex traffic" - turned everything else on. Quick-funding things where I really need them immediately, a couple of autobuys set up to avert death spirals from dumb AI behavior (I could ramble about this at length), and otherwise mostly/entirely cosmonaut style. It's just more fun to not spend the entire run worrying about sticking to strict rules. I am, however, on a rolling platform of loads of loans until my economy starts working again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Specifically I would suggest that as they have added more and more features, and thus more and more systems you have to set up, it has become increasingly necessary to start with a lot of money.

The starting cash amounts I do not believe have changed since the game had half as many systems that your soviets require to live, so the harder amounts may verge on unusable at this point.

Once they add the full cosmonaut mode we will see how it goes. It will depend on how expensive it is to truck labour in from the border, but it may become more practical to set up infrastructure on a budget. At the least, being able to simply buy asphalt and concrete in will probably help because you won't need to build a construction yard.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Money is everything or nothing so it can get kind of weird. Almost no reason not to start with max, there is enough pressure to solve your economy just because you want to see it work well.

There is maybe a different version of W&R where it just tracks your trade deficit which affects things instead of just being money and loans plumb ran out, save is dead.

Alternately turn money into a good you shovel in and out of storages.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

zedprime posted:

Alternately turn money into a good you shovel in and out of storages.

Specifically make it a kind of aggregate, so you can put it on conveyors.

Also repeating my suggestion that this should be the case with children.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

My embarrassing story is that played probably hundreds of hours since the patch that added building mirroring (press T) and it took an offhand post in the dedicated thread for me to learn about it.

Speaking of which: in CoI you can mirror building plans by pressing F or SHIFT+F if you prefer the exhaust or input on one side or another

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
F is also handy in CoI to avoid apparent transport collisions. That is, try it if you’re laying pipes or belts in close quarters and the game keeps trying to curl the belt around a space.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

This all sounds very familiar. I have yet to do crime or water, and have plenty of other plates to spin without them. Got my iron mine -> steel plant up and running, then started focusing on my remote oil field to supplement my three pumps. Got the helicopter construction up and going, cool. Started building out the rail extension that will bring the oil to the refinery, and realized allllll of my trains were stuck because two of them are trying to go opposite directions in/out of the fuel area :negative:

SkyeAuroline posted:

no "complex traffic"

Tried to figure it out from Googling, but is there a disadvantage to having Complex Traffic on? What I found said it just adds the option to use all of the signs and restrictions, but if you have complex traffic on and don't use those options it's no different?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Blowjob Overtime posted:

This all sounds very familiar. I have yet to do crime or water, and have plenty of other plates to spin without them. Got my iron mine -> steel plant up and running, then started focusing on my remote oil field to supplement my three pumps. Got the helicopter construction up and going, cool. Started building out the rail extension that will bring the oil to the refinery, and realized allllll of my trains were stuck because two of them are trying to go opposite directions in/out of the fuel area :negative:

Tried to figure it out from Googling, but is there a disadvantage to having Complex Traffic on? What I found said it just adds the option to use all of the signs and restrictions, but if you have complex traffic on and don't use those options it's no different?

Re: complex traffic: I don't know. I have no idea what it does or doesn't do. But the AI is already stupid enough with just simple traffic (see: any passenger routes at all, ESPECIALLY for prisoners) that I don't want to push my luck any further. Almost all the road signs still function so I'm hopefully going to still be able to set up my misc special-situation designs; we'll see, though. My prior attempt to build a highway with a minimum speed limit went poorly, and my current highway needs to support too many slow vehicles for me to put that in place.

Re: rail construction, yeah, that sounds about right. I'm about to start spinning up rail construction myself (I laid out my plans for a steel mill, even if I can't actually mine any iron on this half of the map; for now I'll be training in iron and supplying the coal myself) and I'm not looking forward to doing the signaling on the fly or trying to prevent the many jams I feel are in my future. Competent enough with signals to make them work in Factorio, but I'm also much better at anticipating train length in Factorio so I know when my blocks will actually break down or work.

I did try out water. It was a nightmare.
I also am trying crime this time around, and it's mostly unnoticeable, aside from some prison labor that falls prey to the game's horrible passenger vehicle logic. The only tempting argument ever made in favor of personal cars in W&R is to free me from the hell of bus transit organization and the lack of competent tools for scheduling. Cargo all works fine, distribution offices make it work 99% of the time... buses really, really need better mechanics though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got Oxygen Not Included and I'm having fun but I am not sure what the gently caress I am doing and I'm constantly struggling to maintain enough resources for...anything other than these dirt/water bars my colonists keep barfing up because it's gross (and I just unlocked the device that lets you DEEP FRY these loving things)

but it's somehow a lot of fun?

I'm constantly worried I'm exploring too much and it's going to be like terrarria and suddenly there's a bunch of enemies coming to kill all my unarmed settlers

also getting them to pick up items off the floor even marking them up to a yellow alert they're just like "yeah i'm not doing that bitch" Like, you have a chest that isn't full you can put this poo poo away so I can see whatever else is on the ground

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I got Oxygen Not Included and I'm having fun but I am not sure what the gently caress I am doing and I'm constantly struggling to maintain enough resources for...anything other than these dirt/water bars my colonists keep barfing up because it's gross (and I just unlocked the device that lets you DEEP FRY these loving things)

I'm constantly worried I'm exploring too much and it's going to be like terrarria and suddenly there's a bunch of enemies coming to kill all my unarmed settlers

also getting them to pick up items off the floor even marking them up to a yellow alert they're just like "yeah i'm not doing that bitch" Like, you have a chest that isn't full you can put this poo poo away so I can see whatever else is on the ground

To the best of my knowledge, you won't have to deal with raiders. You WILL have top deal with hostile biomes and probably not being able to oxygenate everything you dig out, so take your expansion slow and steady.

Also the starting chest is just for rations, you need to build some storage for other materials

I have a lot of fun with it though

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Also the starting chest is just for rations, you need to build some storage for other materials

I did

anyway i'm looking at some tutorials and it seems even more complicated, what you use to build the smith and whatever else matters so it doesn't melt itself? that's overly realistic and I know I'm gonna forget to check that poo poo

washbasins can be used in a certain direction?? what!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Workshops are trash, weeks and months have gone by and it has garnered me a profit of 400 denars. What the heck. I can't even overload it with input ingredients so it can churn out goods. It just works super slow.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I did

anyway i'm looking at some tutorials and it seems even more complicated, what you use to build the smith and whatever else matters so it doesn't melt itself? that's overly realistic and I know I'm gonna forget to check that poo poo

The smith is way, way late in the game. Right now, you want to concentrate on food, water, oxygen, and exploration.

Research agriculture, if you haven't. Plant mealwood. You need roughly 4 plants per dupe. Turn off the musher. Dig in all directions, watching the temperature and stopping when it gets hot. Digging helps you find more food, more resources, and more living space.

Watch Francis John's newbie startup guides. You don't have to watch all of them; watch one or two, go forward, come back and watch when you need more ideas. First one is here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Cq013hkNo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The way it works is that dupes will use them whenever they go past them in that direction, so put them between the shitter and the rest of the base, assigned to use when dupes exit the bathroom.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Here’s the deal on that. There are two kinds of priority:

1) The task type priority you set per dupe by clicking the priorities tab at the top of the screen. Here you can tell a dupe something like “focus on mining over other stuff”.
2) The priority you give to an individual task or building, using the 1-9 priority by clicking on the thing or by using the priority button at the bottom right of the screen. Like you can issue a sweep command on a piece of slime and set that particular task's priority to 9.

The first one takes precedence over the second one. So using the example above, let’s say you only have one dupe with two tasks — mining a piece of sandstone (task priority 5) and picking up a piece of slime (task priority 9). Because you told the dupe to focus on mining they will mine the sandstone before picking up the slime. If you have a whole bunch of mining queued up, they’ll never pick up the slime (until all the mining is done).

If you really want the stuff picked up like now, you need to go into the priorities tab at the top and tell at least one dupe to focus on tidying.

E: I guess “mining” is “digging”. Playing too many games lately.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Thinking of getting Planet Zoo, which DLC should I get with it before the sale ends?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Picked up DSP after a year of not touching it. God that game is crack.

I am just now getting to interstellar tower thing, and have some titanium on another planet I'm trying to offload to my main planet and I can't figure out how to get the drat titanium to the main planet

I was able to get the fireice and hydrogen off the gas giant but not from the other planet....

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I am just now getting to interstellar tower thing, and have some titanium on another planet I'm trying to offload to my main planet and I can't figure out how to get the drat titanium to the main planet

I was able to get the fireice and hydrogen off the gas giant but not from the other planet....

You have to fiddle with the Supply/Demand settings.

Set titanium mine planet to Local Demand and Remote Supply.
Set main planet destination to Local Supply and Remote Demand.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Even if it's not your specific problem right now- there's an upgrade tech you need in order for ships to use warpers to go between star systems, even though the towers have a slot for them already. It is very easy to miss that it exists, given most of the upgrade tree is just one similar tech after another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Do not waste time storing stuff for a long time, you do not have the spare dupe labor early on and it's really not that big a deal leaving poo poo on the ground, maybe clean up the bedroom/research areas. Your primary concern early on should be getting some sort of stable crop and research going. A fun early tip, light makes people work faster, the portal you get new dupes from generates exactly enough light to put a regular and super research station on each side of giving you a nice early research speed boost.