Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Stare-Out posted:

Shocking reveal on The Wire at 20 podcast that JD Williams (Bodie) once made Domenick Lombardozzi (Herc) watch an episode of anime.

I came here, breathless, to report this as soon as I heard it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

What anime though?? We need to know :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Herc: Listen, I'm guessing that you're a black woman. And you can probably tell that I'm a white man. Now, can you think of the last time a middle-aged white man was obsessed with whether Luffy became King of the Pirates?
Citizen: Depressingly, yes.
Herc: Exactly. He's just simply the best candidate :hai:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

Herc: Listen, I'm guessing that you're a black woman. And you can probably tell that I'm a white man. Now, can you think of the last time a middle-aged white man was obsessed with whether Luffy became King of the Pirates?
Citizen: Depressingly, yes.
Herc: Exactly. He's just simply the best candidate :hai:

Bodie: Here's the deal.
Herc: What I'm not watching no loving cartoon alright.
Bodie: He's a pig.
Herc: A loving what?
Bodie: He flies a plane.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I'm reading the corner, and i want to avoid spoilers so i haven't googled it but

How did he write this book?

I get embedding yourself with the Homicide unit, getting the approvals, etc. But with dealers and addicts?

Did he spend a night with Gary, Curt, etc. or is it built a lot more on hearsay than Homicide?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He actually discusses it fairly in depth at the end of the book, from memory. Basically explains how he built up trust and developed relationships, and how at points there were conflicts because cops he had embedded himself with for a year during the time he was researching Homicide would encounter him hanging around with corner boys and addicts they were rounding up and not be happy to learn he was writing about things from their perspective. He also lays out how he did his best to make himself (and I think he had other people working with him too?) invisible in the narrative, with explanations like "When I wrote that Fran was able to organise a car ride to a job interview, I was the one who gave her the car ride" etc.

I should read it again, The Corner really is an incredible book.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 3, 2022

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Okay thanks, I forgot to say that if it was discussed in the book I was okay with not knowing.

So I read your first sentence and I'm good for now. Back to the book, I'll report when I finis it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mr. Nemo posted:

Okay thanks, I forgot to say that if it was discussed in the book I was okay with not knowing.

So I read your first sentence and I'm good for now. Back to the book, I'll report when I finis it.

Oh poo poo, sorry I misinterpreted your post! I'll throw it in spoiler tags so you don't accidentally see it while scrolling!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Well now I am rewatching s1 for the first time in years.

Carver and Herc are such a great duo.

I don't really have anything insightful to say except it's really good. It also doesn't feel like it starts slow on rewatch I think that once you know where the pieces fit its more enjoyable watching them slide into place early on.

The question is what to do about season 2, a season of TV I've probably watched more than any other show. I don't know if I can handle Frank walking to meet the Greek again.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 4, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Maybe this time the Detail will ask him to stay put in HQ until they can get all their paperwork in order!

:negative:

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

The corner really provides the complementary pieces to Homicide.

Rught from page 2 you can see stuff lifted for season 4 and Bubbles' story.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yikes Kima's shooting plays a lot differently knowing she was meant to die.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Mr. Nemo posted:

I'm reading the corner, and i want to avoid spoilers so i haven't googled it but

How did he write this book?

I get embedding yourself with the Homicide unit, getting the approvals, etc. But with dealers and addicts?

Did he spend a night with Gary, Curt, etc. or is it built a lot more on hearsay than Homicide?

If you want to see this happening right now in real time, look up Mark Laita's work on YouTube. While he is welcome in some addict communities, there are still places he won't go and he's had multiple bad experiences. The patience and determination to make this kind of work successful is unimaginable.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

A similar book done in a similar manner is Evicted. The writer essentially embedded himself in very poor communities in Milwaukee and hung out with people all day observing their lives.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Where's Wallace?

:negative:

I'm going straight into season 2, even though I know it all by heart.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

algebra testes posted:

Yikes Kima's shooting plays a lot differently knowing she was meant to die.

I'd never heard that, what's the story?

algebra testes posted:

I'm going straight into season 2, even though I know it all by heart.

Malaka. I mentioned the same "walking to the greek scene" while I was gearing up for my rewatch a couple weeks ago, it's so heartbreaking.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Wire is so good that you think you remember all the good bits, but there are more good bits.

I lost my poo poo at "Lester Freamon. Pawn Shop Unit." in Season 1, and already laughing at "When we step off ship, English is once again heard right?" "Pretty much, yeah."

Mr. Nemo posted:

I'd never heard that, what's the story?

She was written to be killed, one of the higher up producers at HBO put the kybosh on it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

algebra testes posted:

I lost my poo poo at "Lester Freamon. Pawn Shop Unit." in Season 1, and already laughing at "When we step off ship, English is once again heard right?" "Pretty much, yeah."

mishy gishy gushy gushy mishy meshy mushy, motherfucker

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

:smith: every time

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Frank.... :negative:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Characters reading books in the Wire is probably a thread all of its own.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

algebra testes posted:

characters reading books in the Wire is probably a thread all of its own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcZI02m7JOE

I wanna know more about Prom-ah-fuss Bound, by Ah-Silly-is :hmmyes:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 11, 2022

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

MrMojok posted:

mishy gishy gushy gushy mishy meshy mushy, motherfucker

Yaba daba daba doo.

Kunta Kinte.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Season 3 is better than I remembered so far. But I think knowing that Avon/Stringer is a tragedy means it sort of plays differently.

McNulty is a total prick this season and I'm one hundred percent with Daniels.

"Is you taking notes on a criminal loving conspiracy" is a classic for a reason.

Cutty's story is excellent. Also Herc and Carv being total dingbats which leads towards Carv's redemption into decent police.

Oh and Real Life Jay Landsman's accent is so clearly real bawldimore I'm waiting for him to say ambalanz.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Homes don't have depots man, only improvements.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
He mean Hardware Barn, but he ain’t know it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol Ziggy isn't even in the duck row

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Whiskey isn't food.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
just started watching this and coincidentally it's the 20th anniversary.

i was reading that season 2 was panned and i guess that's common knowledge, but i liked it a lot and particularly liked the tension in both scenes where they killed frank and the last scene where we didn't know if Nick was gonna get murdered

does a 20 year old show require spoilers? and also should I stop reading this thread now? just started season 3 last night

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm sure people will be happy to use spoiler tags if responding to you and trying to avoid revealing things you haven't seen, but there is a good chance people might inadvertently spoil you on something while posting in general about the show in other posts, so you are taking a risk by actively reading the thread while watching.

Regardless, please drop in with your impressions as you go along with the show, it's always great seeing people experiencing it for the first time.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Jerusalem posted:

I'm sure people will be happy to use spoiler tags if responding to you and trying to avoid revealing things you haven't seen, but there is a good chance people might inadvertently spoil you on something while posting in general about the show in other posts, so you are taking a risk by actively reading the thread while watching.

Regardless, please drop in with your impressions as you go along with the show, it's always great seeing people experiencing it for the first time.
Seconding this - there is a wonderful spoiler-free thread for first time viewers of the show "Babylon 5", where new viewers record their thoughts as they go through the series. It is great fun for long-time fans of the show to see new reactions to it - I would read the hell out your impressions of the episodes going forward.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

sweet. well in that case: i usually get stoned before I watch, so it's been a highlight of my day to end the night watching in bed. My biggest thought so far is how the idea of "making baltimore a better place by increasing police overtime, getting more wires, getting more equipment, etc." is pretty crazy dated and it's really interesting to watch it through a 2022 lens.

herc and carv specifically are pretty interesting characters watching now because they're policing for all the wrong reasons, and it's really cringey to see the poo poo they do and say, which I probably would have thought about less even 5 years ago. And it seems like this show was really ahead of it's time by almost parodying a police department and emphasizing the terrible police that are mostly focused on arrest stats, status/title, and chain-of-command.

This show does a really good job of making me feel for people slinging drugs, especially after living in Philadelphia all my life where the city has no good action plan to make dangerous parts like North Philly safer or do something about the homeless problem and all the people who are just living out of tents near safe injection sites.

All that to say, this show is insanely good.

My fav character was Wallace but now it's either Bodie or Omar

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

teen phone cutie posted:

My biggest thought so far is how the idea of "making baltimore a better place by increasing police overtime, getting more wires, getting more equipment, etc." is pretty crazy dated and it's really interesting to watch it through a 2022 lens.

It really is fascinating, Simon's experience shadowing the police and Ed Burns' own experience as a police detective was already slightly dated by the time The Wire was set, but was still largely believable as the techniques they would use, the beliefs they would have, what was considered the right way to do things etc. The following spoilers are related to Season 4 and 5: overtime - both the promise of and later lack of - is used as a key indicator of what the police need to do good policework: a case needs to go green before it can go black etc.

It is REALLY interesting watching Simon and Pelecanos' We Own This City, which aired this year where overtime is revealed as being almost openly used by police to steal massive amounts of money on top of all the other corrupt bullshit they're doing.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 18, 2022

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

algebra testes posted:

Characters reading books in the Wire is probably a thread all of its own.

https://twitter.com/Ziggys_Duck/status/1548722837397045249

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

method man is also doing an official 20th anniversary podcast about the show with interviews and i thought it would be cool to listen as i watch and instantly spoiled myself on the second episode of the pod :cripes:

so i will not be listening to that podcast

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is Irish Lasses still in publication?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

teen phone cutie posted:

method man is also doing an official 20th anniversary podcast about the show with interviews and i thought it would be cool to listen as i watch and instantly spoiled myself on the second episode of the pod :cripes:

so i will not be listening to that podcast

Lmao true cheese move

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Where's The Love Bodie? Where's the motherfuckin' love? I go back so far with this kid I was chasing him through juvie. But does any of that matter when we roll up here? I get so much as a wave, a nod, a smile? Nothing?

*spit*

edit: holy poo poo gently caress lmao I forgot how funny this is

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

algebra testes posted:

Where's The Love Bodie? Where's the motherfuckin' love? I go back so far with this kid I was chasing him through juvie. But does any of that matter when we roll up here? I get so much as a wave, a nod, a smile? Nothing?