Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, those last few seconds completely change things. The smile - he totally meant to kill her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
The Deep gill-rape scene is humorous but not comedic. Here, Mark Twain explains the difference:

The humorous story is told gravely; the teller does his best to conceal the fact that he even dimly suspects that there is anything funny about it; but the teller of the comic story tells you beforehand that it is one of the funniest things he has ever heard, then tells it with eager delight, and is the first person to laugh when he gets through. And sometimes, if he has had good success, he is so glad and happy that he will repeat the "nub" of it and glance around from face to face, collecting applause, and then repeat it again. It is a pathetic thing to see.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Is the finale extra long? There's a lot of loose threads. I'm curious about Stan Edgar in particular, but also put me in the "Stormfront is still alive" camp.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Like the doctor said there’s a lot going on. I think mostly he’s testing her “I’ll always be here to protect you” thing. It tells him no, she won’t be, the things he’s being told aren’t necessarily the truth and his parental figures are willing to lie

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tender Bender posted:

I don't know why you're so aggro about this but this post implies that the question of "malign intent" is somehow important to the validity of the question of "Is X racist?" I guess that wasn't their point so I misunderstood them and I'm genuinely sorry this is so upsetting to you, but I'd prefer if you let this person come back and explain what they were saying instead of starting some dumb slapfight.

And I'll once again remind you that if you read their post, they very clearly are restating a theme of the show which is "If you don't specifically mean to cause racial harm, but you do in fact cause massive, disproportionate damage to minorities, is there a meaningful difference between you and a racist?" Which if you ever like, took a religion or a philosophy or a literature class or just like thought about things for a bit, is a classic question of intent vs effect and how that interacts with morality.

Or you can just say it "implies" an icky thing (i.e. it references that there are bad things without a weird aside condemning them because that's literally the entire point of the discussion) and be dense as hell and refuse to read and then act like it's weird that I'd be frustrated having to explain the same simple thing in increasingly small words like I'm talking to a child.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Little Homelander kills her for lying to him. He knows perfectly well she’s not his mommy and doesn’t love him and won’t always be there for him.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dalael posted:

I think you're projecting your own mommy issues on homelander. He absolutely meant to hug, but just cant control hus own strength.

is this a joke? its so hard to tell the jokes from the genuine bad takes

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

wizardofloneliness posted:

Little Homelander kills her for lying to him. He knows perfectly well she’s not his mommy and doesn’t love him and won’t always be there for him.

Exactly, he can hear her heartbeat and tell when she's lying. Probably senses that she's scared of him, just like everyone else.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Mat Cauthon posted:

He absolutely meant to kill her- he smile afterwards. Look at the last ~15 seconds of the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruDhNvcT9Eo

Whether he did just to demonstrate to his captors that he could, or because he wanted a different tutor (because that one wasn't the first), or he was taking out some latent anger/resentment at his "mother" not being there to protect and nurture him, or some combination of all three it doesn't matter. The intent was there.

Tbh I'd either forgotten that bit or ended the video early. You're right.

I do think it's a bit more complex than he killed her for lying though. Those first few seconds are a genuine hug. Dude's a messed up kid.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SpeakSlow posted:

So, if we're drawing real-world parallels here between The Boys and our world, superpowers == access to obscene piles of cash, right?

We're basically watching millionaires fight.

That's Succession, which has interesting parallels. The kids in the show, of super-rich totally not Rupert Murdoch, born into wealth all have different dysfunctions and can't really deal with people other than through weird power moves, mostly through money or sexual abuse, and the people not born into wealth who are drawn into their orbits develop their own dysfunctions because it's a really messed up reality they live in.

Characters like Homelander basically never had a chance, and while Butcher really was ready to straight up beat Ryan to death, eventually the characters in the show try to give him a "normal" childhood even outside the Stepford Wives alternate world town, because you have to deal with people to be able to relate to them. And now we're seeing the inverse with Billy and Hughie losing their grip on humanity because they can straight up mulch people by punching them.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

TIP posted:

hadn't seen it in a while so I pulled up this terrible video of a TV on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86K6PdeFr9A

and after watching it again I can say even more confidently that there is nothing comedic about that scene

they're clearly trying to make it as uncomfortable and visceral as they can

This needs to be played in the context which it exists in the show. The Deep only shows up for comedy bits. He's purely the comedic relief in the first season, getting a little scene here and there in order to break the tension of the main plot. This scene plays after a joke scene with him and a lobster. This scene plays before a joke scene where he has to shill for an Ohio waterpark. The fact that he himself is raped isn't ruminated on at any point in the season, we don't see the consequences of it, we don't see any conclusion. It exists purely as a comedic beat.

The Deep's entire arc is about laughing at his life falling apart after he raped Starlight, about how he fell from grace and got sent to Ohio. This scene exists in the direct center of that comedic subplot. They provide zero context for the audience to treat it as anything other than one of the existing comedy bits. It is dumped and forgotten for the next skit, just like every other scene involving The Deep.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i dont think so tim

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Beartaco posted:

The Deep's entire arc is about laughing at his life falling apart after he raped Starlight,

That's... really not that funny.

There are some elements of dark comedy to The Deep, mainly from him being stupid and his powers being inherently ridiculous, but he's not a comedy character by any stretch.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

jabby posted:

There are some elements of dark comedy to The Deep, mainly from him being stupid and his powers being inherently ridiculous, but he's not a comedy character by any stretch.

Let's not overcorrect The Deep is totally comedic relief.

I hate to say it but he might be one of my favorite characters

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
So are we going to find out that Ryan isn't really Homelander's kid at some point? Feels like they're focusing a ton on fathers this season and they've said multiple times that there shouldn't have been a way for him to have a kid, correct? I doubt they'd go that way since it's more interesting if he is, but just a weird stray thought I had.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Robobot posted:

So are we going to find out that Ryan isn't really Homelander's kid at some point? Feels like they're focusing a ton on fathers this season and they've said multiple times that there shouldn't have been a way for him to have a kid, correct? I doubt they'd go that way since it's more interesting if he is, but just a weird stray thought I had.

Given the circumstances of his concept and his power set any alternative explanation for his birth would likely be an incredibly dumb asspull

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Beartaco posted:

The Deep's entire arc is about laughing at his life falling apart after he raped Starlight, about how he fell from grace and got sent to Ohio. This scene exists in the direct center of that comedic subplot. They provide zero context for the audience to treat it as anything other than one of the existing comedy bits. It is dumped and forgotten for the next skit, just like every other scene involving The Deep.

:yeah: still laughed at they clip just now having not seen it since it aired

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Beartaco posted:

This needs to be played in the context which it exists in the show. The Deep only shows up for comedy bits. He's purely the comedic relief in the first season, getting a little scene here and there in order to break the tension of the main plot. This scene plays after a joke scene with him and a lobster. This scene plays before a joke scene where he has to shill for an Ohio waterpark. The fact that he himself is raped isn't ruminated on at any point in the season, we don't see the consequences of it, we don't see any conclusion. It exists purely as a comedic beat.

You keep saying that it’s obviously comedy but your only evidence is that you say so and it’s obvious, but everyone disagrees with you.

In fact I’d argue the opposite, and just like the lobster scene it starts with what should be comedy beats but keeps heightening them while reminding you of actual stakes to juxtapose those and make you squirm and feel guilty for wanting to laugh.

This isn’t like hardcore post-modern lit poo poo, this is really basic “watch the show with your eyes” stuff.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

jabby posted:

Yea the guy who fucks octopi and is fed dialog by his church provided spouse definitely isn't meant to be comedic relief :wtc:

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

We’ve now had two episodes in a row of deep just having his dick inside a fish. It’s such a played out joke at this point and they’re still trying to milk it. Compare that with the dolphin scene in S1 and it’s a perfect example of how much the writing in this show has fallen off imo.

I still enjoy the acting and the MK style fatalities though, the guy playing SB is great.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, those last few seconds completely change things. The smile - he totally meant to kill her.

I think it wasn't his intent, but he rationalizes it by thinking she had it coming. She's weak, she couldn't protect him, and weak people deserve to die. That smile is Homelander realizing he's not to blame.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Starks posted:

We’ve now had two episodes in a row of deep just having his dick inside a fish. It’s such a played out joke at this point and they’re still trying to milk it. Compare that with the dolphin scene in S1 and it’s a perfect example of how much the writing in this show has fallen off imo.

I still enjoy the acting and the MK style fatalities though, the guy playing SB is great.

I agree they've taken a step too far to the comics this season. Homelander sexually milking a cow is a tad too much.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
can the guy who thinks rape scenes are hilarious shut the gently caress up

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Chamale posted:

I think it wasn't his intent, but he rationalizes it by thinking she had it coming. She's weak, she couldn't protect him, and weak people deserve to die. That smile is Homelander realizing he's not to blame.

This. He gave her a genuine bear hug and killed her. He just happens to be turning into an evil fucker and he enjoyed the feeling of power it gave him. At this point in his life, he's a kid who feels powerless despite knowing none of the people around are actually stronger than him.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

TwoPair posted:

I'm kinda surprised how easy the fix was for A-train, as in I thought a new heart wouldn't be such an easy fix to his problem. I feel like if they knew that was the case, they would've gotten A-train a transfer a long time ago. I mean come on, it's Vought, you know they can do some shady poo poo to get him to the top of the transfer list. Maybe it had to be a supe heart? But again, that doesn't seem too necessarily hard to come by.

I don't think Vought cared about him and just treated him as a disposable product useful for the diversity quota. They only fixed his heart to keep him in line about the Blue Hawk story. Because exposing what happened to Blue Hawk would lower the value of the company stock by a few percent.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

And I'll once again remind you that if you read their post, they very clearly are restating a theme of the show which is "If you don't specifically mean to cause racial harm, but you do in fact cause massive, disproportionate damage to minorities, is there a meaningful difference between you and a racist?" Which if you ever like, took a religion or a philosophy or a literature class or just like thought about things for a bit, is a classic question of intent vs effect and how that interacts with morality.

Or you can just say it "implies" an icky thing (i.e. it references that there are bad things without a weird aside condemning them because that's literally the entire point of the discussion) and be dense as hell and refuse to read and then act like it's weird that I'd be frustrated having to explain the same simple thing in increasingly small words like I'm talking to a child.

Yea I just thought they meant what other people were saying earlier in this thread, ie "Homelander ISN'T racist because he just hates everyone." I didn't realize they were going in the other direction. Thanks for clarifying, though you could probably do without this weirdly overwritten aggressive posturing.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 2, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

can the guy who thinks rape scenes are hilarious shut the gently caress up

I don't think they're arguing that rape is funny -- in their original post they talk about how Anmie's scene in the pilot is powerful and seriously handled. To me, their argument is that this particular scene can be read as darkly comic, because a) it involves an ironic reversal of fortune and b) it features a character who's been established as comic relief, and that the dark comedy in this makes them uncomfortable. Their point is that it's a joke, and that it's not a funny one.

I'm not weighing in on this argument one way or the other, since it'd require me to rewatch the scene, but I think it'd be helpful for debate if the argument wasn't misrepresented.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Isn't someone who hates everyone simultaneously racist, sexist, ableist. classist and so on and so on instead of none of them?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Yeah, man. The Deep's gill-rape scene was funny. The being forced to eat his octopus lover scene was funny. Starlight turning around to find Deep with his pants down was funny. The guy is just a living, water-breathing comic relief generator, and I don't know what to tell you losers who can't see all this very obvious comedy.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't think they're arguing that rape is funny -- in their original post they talk about how Anmie's scene in the pilot is powerful and seriously handled. To me, their argument is that this particular scene can be read as darkly comic, because a) it involves an ironic reversal of fortune and b) it features a character who's been established as comic relief, and that the dark comedy in this makes them uncomfortable. Their point is that it's a joke, and that it's not a funny one.

I'm not weighing in on this argument one way or the other, since it'd require me to rewatch the scene, but I think it'd be helpful for debate if the argument wasn't misrepresented.

It seems like they’re not suggesting that it can be read as comedic, but that it can only be read as comedic, and that if you don’t agree you don’t understand film theory.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, obviously rape isn't objectively funny; I certainly wasn't laughing in EP1. But I vehemently reject the notion that any one topic is so sensitive that it cannot be joked about in any way, because lovely Aquaman getting his gills penetrated is actually absurdly funny.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

:gas: thread.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Anyway, I've always taken the point of the scene that it was a hosed up experience that The Deep didn't deserve, but would have maybe given him the opportunity to realize just what he'd done to Starlight and that, being the Deep he just ignored all possibility of growth. Sort of like all the chances A-Train has been given to grow only to explicitly choose not to

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

christmas boots posted:

Anyway, I've always taken the point of the scene that it was a hosed up experience that The Deep didn't deserve, but would have maybe given him the opportunity to realize just what he'd done to Starlight and that, being the Deep he just ignored all possibility of growth. Sort of like all the chances A-Train has been given to grow only to explicitly choose not to

Agreed, it was a chance for introspection and to develop some empathy, but Deep is too much an rear end in a top hat to realize it and improve himself as a human.

Also I guess we've found this week's derail, didn't expect it to be about season 1.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Holy poo poo, yall... He's called "The Deep" but he's actually really shallow... Mind gently caress...

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Habibi posted:

Yeah, man. The Deep's gill-rape scene was funny. The being forced to eat his octopus lover scene was funny.

Those were explicitly not shot as comedy. Maybe the octopus eating scene as extremely dark comedy, but it was meant to convey just how loving in control Homelander is

quote:

Starlight turning around to find Deep with his pants down was funny.

This one was shot as comedy

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

GunnerJ posted:

Holy poo poo, yall... He's called "The Deep" but he's actually really shallow... Mind gently caress...

What if he's named after his rectum?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Starks posted:

They can't stop now . . . we're in two deep

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

jisforjosh posted:

Those were explicitly not shot as comedy. Maybe the octopus eating scene as extremely dark comedy, but it was meant to convey just how loving in control Homelander is

This one was shot as comedy

The deep getting raped was dark humour. Its not meant to be funny HAHA but its still a comedic bit.

It is also meant to make you feel uncomfortable.

A scene can convey multiple types of emotions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

christmas boots posted:

That scientology lady did say that The Deep is the ultimate narcissist and questioned if he had any chance of joining the church.