Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Zamujasa posted:

not since they got rid of the $1.50 polish sausage :arghfist:

Eat a hot dog, like an American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Zamujasa posted:

Not in the great northern land of Canada. $1.50 CAD for a polish sausage or hotdog with a refillable drink.

No chicken bake or churro up here though.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Weatherman posted:

Racist, sexist, and homophobic ones.

I'll admit, I'm a bit weak on the slurs. "Please stop calling me," doesn't work.

On the other hand, screaming that I support nukes for Pakistan, let's just wipe Mumbai off the loving map already, it's full of loving wogs, only cuts down on the calls by like 10%.

OK, I pulled that number out of my rear end.

Past a certain point when you're hurling racist slurs against people you have nothing against aside from them calling you, the slurs are kind of weak.

I just figure I asked nicely, but after that, Argle bargle racist BS comes into play.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 2, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

thrakkorzog posted:

I'll admit, I'm a bit weak on the slurs. "Please stop calling me," doesn't work.

On the other hand, screaming that I support nukes for Pakistan, let's just wipe Mumbai off the loving map already, it's full of loving wogs, only cuts down on the calls by like 10%.

Past a certain point when you're hurling racist slurs against people you have nothing against aside from them calling you, the slurs are kind of weak.

I just figure I asked nicely, but after that, Argle bargle racist BS comes into play.

What the gently caress, though

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

thrakkorzog posted:

It is very easy to hang up the phone.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

If I ran a spam call center I would definitely direct agents to increase call volume to harass the impotent angry racist more tbh.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

thrakkorzog posted:

Saying racist things, when you decide to answer a spam call rather than my ignore it, is merely you looking for an excuse to be racist, because that's a deep-seated feeling in your heart. Many people never consider hurling slurs, and therefore do not seek the excuse. I hope we can all learn and grow from this.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Finding an excuse to be racist still means you are being racist.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

thrakkorzog posted:

Kurt Vonnegut posted:

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

thrakkorzog posted:

It's been said but it cannot be overstated how weird and lovely this is lmao.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nighthand posted:

If I ran a spam call center I would definitely direct agents to increase call volume to harass the impotent angry racist more tbh.

That's unprofitable. Spam call centers exist to find as many elderly and vulnerable people to prey on as possible, not for the purpose of being annoying.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

That's unprofitable. Spam call centers exist to find as many elderly and vulnerable people to prey on as possible, not for the purpose of being annoying.

Yeah but people who work in spam call centers don't give a gently caress about that, or anything really. I worked in one at one point and there were a lot of people who would mark irate responses to get called again.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

Blue Moonlight posted:

Kurt Vonnegut posted:

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

Mother Night was one of my favorite books.

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

Nighthand posted:

The real answer is to set your caller id spoofer to that person's number so they get hundreds of old people phoning them 'back' ranging from the confused 'why did you call me?' to 'gently caress you scammer'

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Pekinduck posted:

In Massachusetts retailers must take cash but I think that's an unusual law.

Unfortunately uncommon.

Laws that require bars and restaurants to take cash should be the norm. "Card only" places discriminate against the poor and unbanked. Restaurants shouldn't force you to scan a QR code to look at a menu. A lot of people have difficulty reading a phone menu and it's literally age discrimination to not have printed menus.

Zamujasa posted:

We had brats, then polish, then brats again before they discontinued the alternative sausages. The people that miss the polish bug me because they don't even know that they were missing out on the superior brat option. Brat with kraut, onion, brown mustard was so, so vastly superior to anything else. The only thing even close was a polish with everything + pepper packet + parmesan packet.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

MisterOblivious posted:

Unfortunately uncommon.

Laws that require bars and restaurants to take cash should be the norm. "Card only" places discriminate against the poor and unbanked. Restaurants shouldn't force you to scan a QR code to look at a menu. A lot of people have difficulty reading a phone menu and it's literally age discrimination to not have printed menus.

One restaurant has started this here and I make a point of asking for the menu. They bring you a tablet. I find it very annoying to use compared to classic paper menus.

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

SEKCobra posted:

One restaurant has started this here and I make a point of asking for the menu. They bring you a tablet. I find it very annoying to use compared to classic paper menus.

I get it to be honest, printing menus is expensive and with all the price volatility it makes it easier to make changes.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

DiabloStarCraft posted:

I get it to be honest, printing menus is expensive and with all the price volatility it makes it easier to make changes.

Yeah, I do get that, but even on the tablet finding stuff on that convoluted menu is a chore, I did look at it on my phone briefly and it was a total nightmare. They aren't using the technology to give you instant previews of the meal or a detailed description of exotic foods so you don't have to google them, instead it's endless lists of items, with only two objects on the screen at one time as the best case you can hope for. A normal paper menu lets me get an overview of stuff, jump between starters and stuff, not open fiddly dropdowns or reload the side multiple times while trying to decide what to order. If the UX was flawless, I'd be more forgiving, but trying to pass the buck onto the customer while making the whole experience worse is just lovely all around. Not to mention the loss of accessibility for people less able.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Digital menus are totally hopeless in comparison, but obviously they represent a theoretical saving to the restaurant and probably ecologically. Too bad places that have them tend to universally be more expensive anyway.

It's also so true that the UX is just dogshit and there's literally no way with current technology to make it not so. Pandemic ordering to me is defined by these godawful drop down menus on a shambolic, poorly maintained temp website that's hardly functional. Putting stuff in a basket like it's a independent Shopify retailer, only to have a sheepish waiter arrive 10 minutes later to say actually it's out of stock but nobody has permission or the knowledge to update the site. But your card was charged anyway and can you phone back another day and they'll refund you.

Come and take an order with a pen and paper please. I've seen places where they have work tablets to take your order, and it's like 2x as slow as just scribbling in shorthand. Or even worse, typing on a phone keyboard on some kind of notes app.

why

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

In my experience the places that have tablets or QR code menus are usually tourist traps and hotel/airport restaurants. Which makes sense, they got hit the hardest by the labour shortage and some of them have a ton of outdoor seating that can't be covered without a small army of wait staff. They also don't really care about return customers so long as they don't get dinged on Yelp for having slow service.

As of 5 years ago when I was in the service industry, the pre-built solutions for digital menus were expensive AF. It took some special circumstances to make them viable.

I don't mind them in principle but its usually a sign that the establishment has an enormous menu and isn't exactly fine dining.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 4, 2022

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
We ate at a Cajun seafood boil where each guest could order via QR code. You can order more as you eat and it automatically splits the items for the check. It was actually extremely convenient.

That is probably the ideal scenario for that though. Relatively simple menu and a meal where you might order second or thirds or additional sides as you go. Also made paying extremely easy while allowing people to get whatever they wanted.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 4, 2022

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

MisterOblivious posted:

Unfortunately uncommon.

We had brats, then polish, then brats again before they discontinued the alternative sausages. The people that miss the polish bug me because they don't even know that they were missing out on the superior brat option. Brat with kraut, onion, brown mustard was so, so vastly superior to anything else. The only thing even close was a polish with everything + pepper packet + parmesan packet.

Its so obnoxious. I'm helping a friend with a restaurant and we decided to avoid all tech gimmicks like this. The majority of the customers are coming from their white-collar job, the last thing they want to do is wrangle another computer program.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Theres a place near me that has a really good idea that's nearly ruined by this poo poo.

A large food hall with many food trucks/pop up small food maker stand things and a single app and wait staff.

The idea is you sit down, go on their app and can order whatever combo you want from whatever food stands/trucks etc and the wait staff bring it all to your table.

If you want Bob's burgers but with the Nachos from Rockin' Randy go for it, your vegan friend wants the beans and halloumi wrap thing from Hippie Joes great everyone's happy and they have a full bar on the same app.

However they ruin it by making you order and pay for each place seperately. Like you're already a central payment processor just split that poo poo behind the scenes and let me add it all to basket and make one payment. How hard is this? How did you do all the above and not take the very last step.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
The Seattle airport added a new food court last year, and it's got about 5 different places, with all the ordering done via central touchpad kiosks.

While this sounds simple, the system frequently won't send orders to the correct restaurant (they usually just vanish), or it'll send absolute gibberish orders, so the poor SOB's making the food have no clue what's actually been ordered.

This is the same airport that took three years to build a Subway (home of the $15 footlong), so it's absolutely not a surprise that they managed to gently caress up a food court this badly.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Got at call from the bank - apparently someone transfered 2500 shekels from my account to Armenia. It's kinda weird that the bank is calling me to begin with (I first thought it was about an unusual transaction I made the day before), in Russian, and Caller ID doesn't ID the number as the bank.

Ok, how did the money get transferred? Where did the instruction came from, what got hacked? The caller has a really hard time processing the query, though maybe I just suck at communicating. Do I use the application? Do I visit the local branch often? (In retrospect, I shouldn't have answered either question).

All right, he's going to "insure" my funds. How much money do I have in my account? I'm not going to answer that question.

Cool, local police will contact me. I said I live in Arad, right?

Hang up the phone, mark the number on caller ID as "Bank - probably a scammer?"

A few minutes later, I get a call marked as "Next town over - Police". Another Russian speaker, a woman. At this point I'm fairly confident I'm getting scammed, so I start loving around - everyone are so conveniently speak Russian today, the police are calling me back ever so quickly, and how can I be of service to the local law enforcement?

She's in no mood to be hosed with - "Xander, did you always sound like a total fag or are you just pretending for my benefit?" and hangs up the phone. This one gets marked down as a scammer without a question mark.

Notes:
1. I read about this type of scam in several random Russian blogs. Not sure how I'd react if I didn't have that info.

2. People who comment on these blogs don't have a life, and don't believe anything interesting ever happens to anyone else. They're particularly "oh, and everyone stood up and clapped, amirite?" about stories that end with the scammer being annoyed at the target loving with them, cussing them out and hanging up. And yet.

3. Apparently the target audience are Russian pensioners, but they'll happily take on an younger crowd? Or they don't have a way to tell.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Xander77 posted:

She's in no mood to be hosed with - "Xander, did you always sound like a total fag or are you just pretending for my benefit?" and hangs up the phone.

To be fair this bit does sound like police so far.

What's the scam supposed to be? Advance fee fraud? They will "insure" your account for 500 shekels, please do use an Amazon gift card, yes the bank only takes that now and definitely cannot just withdraw from your account?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Volmarias posted:

To be fair this bit does sound like police so far.

What's the scam supposed to be? Advance fee fraud? They will "insure" your account for 500 shekels, please do use an Amazon gift card, yes the bank only takes that now and definitely cannot just withdraw from your account?
As far I know (we didn't get that far) the aim is for you to share your credit card info, transfer money from your account to a "non-compromised" account, or outright withdraw cash from your bank account before it gets stolen and hand it over to a "security consultant".

Use google translate for further info:

https://www.exler.ru/blog/razvod-zvonok-iz-banka.htm

https://www.exler.ru/blog/novyy-vid-telefonnogo-moshennichestva-budte-bditelny.htm?sort_nested=-created_at

https://www.vokrug.tv/article/show/15801012611/

https://www.exler.ru/blog/ocherednoy-razvod-voprosy.htm?sort=created_at

https://www.facebook.com/lala.brynza/posts/3293737834006291

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
So my friend was selling a bunch of crap on Facebook marketplace, and would get these people who’d aggressively insist that they send her money ahead of time via Zelle. Then they’d say that they weren’t going to come pick up, but that it’d be their brother or cousin or whatever.

She’d be like, “if you want the item, I’ll just hold it for you, and then you can Zelle me whatever after you come over to pick it up. Also. I don’t care who is coming to pick it up. Just get this crap out of my house.” She was in the process of moving, and didn’t have time for this crap.

So I googled around a bit, and it looks like this is a scam where they fake send you money, and then when the money doesn’t hit your account, run off with the stuff? But I’m confused because nobody was coming the same day as the payment. It’d be a day or two after.

Edit: she told me the situation because it sounded suspicious to her. I told her to block those people, because it all sounded scammy as hell.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

dino. posted:

So my friend was selling a bunch of crap on Facebook marketplace, and would get these people who’d aggressively insist that they send her money ahead of time via Zelle. Then they’d say that they weren’t going to come pick up, but that it’d be their brother or cousin or whatever.

She’d be like, “if you want the item, I’ll just hold it for you, and then you can Zelle me whatever after you come over to pick it up. Also. I don’t care who is coming to pick it up. Just get this crap out of my house.” She was in the process of moving, and didn’t have time for this crap.

So I googled around a bit, and it looks like this is a scam where they fake send you money, and then when the money doesn’t hit your account, run off with the stuff? But I’m confused because nobody was coming the same day as the payment. It’d be a day or two after.

Edit: she told me the situation because it sounded suspicious to her. I told her to block those people, because it all sounded scammy as hell.
Nobody shows up and they message you later for the money back. Their fraudulent transaction gets reversed eventually but your transfer back is legit so you’re out the money.

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

dino. posted:

Nah the scam is they send an email saying 'hey this is zelle someone sent you money but we can't give it to you till you upgrade your account by sending them some money' and the email isn't from zelle. Once you send the money it's gone of course. Scammers may optionally follow up by pretending to be police or something telling you they can recover the money.

See the example I found on Reddit

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

This is legit interesting to me.

1999: I had to deal with the fallout from someone copying the EarthLink website pixel for pixel and spamming out “lol reset your password” emails.

2009: Your computer has been locked because you looked at the Bad Porn(tm). *it wasn’t usually locked except this pop up on login*

2019: All your data is encrypted now, send me a sliver of a bitcoin…please?

My dumb rear end walked into a brand new job that got shitslammed by HR lady clicking on a thing and I spent a week fixing permissions and asking for office lady to not have computer access to all of our production files.

I was denied.

HR missus click a lot is the boss’ wife.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

goatsestretchgoals posted:

This is legit interesting to me.

1999: I had to deal with the fallout from someone copying the EarthLink website pixel for pixel and spamming out “lol reset your password” emails.

2009: Your computer has been locked because you looked at the Bad Porn(tm). *it wasn’t usually locked except this pop up on login*

2019: All your data is encrypted now, send me a sliver of a bitcoin…please?

My dumb rear end walked into a brand new job that got shitslammed by HR lady clicking on a thing and I spent a week fixing permissions and asking for office lady to not have computer access to all of our production files.

I was denied.

HR missus click a lot is the boss’ wife.

just accidentally change it and nobody will know

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

CommonShore posted:

just accidentally change it and nobody will know

I debated this but every account on the network is effectively admin. Also I kept getting MalwareBytes hits on production libraries. “Oh, that’s the DLL that pretends to be a copy protect dongle.”

Also our source control is a bunch of unlabeled flash drives. Also also we need loving 3.5” floppies to put programs on our 4 of our ancient rear end CNC lathes and I’m down to one working disk.

FFUUCCKK

Thanks for coming to my TED talk on how not to run the IT side of a machine shop.

E: I legit thought this was the bad workplace thread, I will let my stupidity stand but I’m gonna repost over there too.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 9, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Also also we need loving 3.5” floppies to put programs on our 4 of our ancient rear end CNC lathes and I’m down to one working disk.

You can get new old stock floppies off eBay or whatever for about $2 each. They will suffer a bit of fragility from age but if the box is still sealed and they were stored in an office cabinet or something for the last 10 years you'll probably have 90%+ still working.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Fair, that was a bitch fest that was meant for the lovely job thread.

The true scam was agreeing to hire me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You should be able to replace the floppy drives with something like a Gotek or something similar and use USB sticks. I believe they were even originally designed to replace floppy drives in industrial equipment.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

You should be able to replace the floppy drives with something like a Gotek or something similar and use USB sticks. I believe they were even originally designed to replace floppy drives in industrial equipment.

You get weird fuckery with things like that sometimes; it was not uncommon for industrial equipment to do a bunch of direct access or some homegroan custom interface scheme and sometimes the emulators fall short on nonstandard comms like that. That will be a longer term solution than a shoebox of new floppies if it works though, and if your bossmasters aren't super cheapskates lmao they are it's worth a few bucks of company money to investigate, since they definitely aren't going to buy machines made after the World Trade Center was destroyed.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I never get those car warranty calls. I always get "Thanks for being a Colorado Electric customer."

[That is not a real electric provider and obviously not mine.]

I've never stayed on the line. Anyone know what kind of scam this leads to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I never get those car warranty calls. I always get "Thanks for being a Colorado Electric customer."

[That is not a real electric provider and obviously not mine.]

I've never stayed on the line. Anyone know what kind of scam this leads to?

Either they need you to "pay an overdue bill" or they want to have a fig leaf for changing your electric provider to one that charges you $3/kWh