Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Soldier Boy owns because he's just Dean with all the "lovable rogue" aspects removed and replaced with "actual monster".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Supernatural fandom should probably not be patting itself on the back for their devotion to Jensen Ackles. Their irl wives get harassed by fans and any female character added to the show enraged the fanbase such that they almost all got unceremoniously killed off.

And not because the audience members envisioned themselves in Sam or Dean's arms, oh no. No, they wanted something else entirely.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

HOLY poo poo...

It's REAL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEy4izjNsUQ

And they did it 1:1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfgLKBfgkEA

Even the "Mon!"s were straight from the original!

:perfect:

Those magnificent bastards...Kripke must have seen all the extras Tarantino did for Once Upon A Time In Hollywood with Rick Dalton's fake career and been inspired to do the same for Soldier Boy. I can only imagine how much poo poo didn't even get filmed!

Edit: http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/62c102d5b0e30-soldier-boy-robert-mitchum.php (click the "Here" to turn off sync--for some reason one video won't start otherwise)

This is on Fallon/Rudd levels. :allears:

Astroman fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 3, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Big omega vibes coming from this thread, gonna activate my rut

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wonder what Homelander thinks of Bill Cosby

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
mm yeah the "I'm your daddy" thing is a gimme

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Also, Julian loving throne sniffing aristo licking Fellows to motherfucking write? Yeah, not obvious enough.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Fun to imagine him going on kids say the darndest things and popping off cosbys head with a hug for America’s dad

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Cosby could be his mom I guess. We know he hosed soldier boy

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Paul Reiser's line about what Solder Boy did to music comes from a story told to Ethan Hawke by Kris Kristofferson. Waylon Jennings said it, and it's heavily implied he was talking about Toby Keith:

Rolling Stone posted:

STANDING BACKSTAGE AT THE BEACON Theatre in New York, leaning against a crumbling brick wall in the dark, I could barely see Kris Kristofferson standing to my left. Willie Nelson was in the shadows to my right. Ray Charles was standing beside Willie, idly shifting his weight back and forth. A bit farther along the wall were Elvis Costello, Wyclef Jean, Norah Jones, Shelby Lynne, Paul Simon and respective managers, friends and family. Everybody was nervous and tight. We were there for Willie Nelson’s 70th birthday concert in 2003.

Up from the basement came one of country music’s brightest stars (who shall remain nameless). At that moment in time, the Star had a monster radio hit about bombing America’s enemies back into the Stone Age.

“Happy birthday,” the Star said to Willie, breezing by us. As he passed Kristofferson in one long, confident stride, out of the corner of his mouth came “None of that lefty poo poo out there tonight, Kris.”

“What the luck did you just say to me?” Kris growled, stepping forward.

“Oh, no,” groaned Willie under his breath. “Don’t get Kris all riled up.”

“You heard me,” the Star said, walking away in the darkness.

“Don’t turn your back to me, boy,” Kristofferson shouted, not giving a poo poo that basically the entire music industry seemed to be flanking him.

The Star turned around: “I don’t want any problems, Kris – I just want you to tone it down.”

“You ever worn your country’s uniform?” Kris asked rhetorically.

“What?”

“Don’t ‘What?’ me, boy! You heard the question. You just don’t like the answer.” He paused just long enough to get a full chest of air. “I asked, ‘Have you ever served your country?’ The answer is, no, you have not. Have you ever killed another man? Huh? Have you ever taken another man’s life and then cashed the check your country gave you for doing it? No, you have not. So shut the gently caress up!” I could feel his body pulsing with anger next to me. “You don’t know what the hell you are talking about!”

“Whatever,” the young Star muttered.

Ray Charles stood motionless. Willie Nelson looked at me and shrugged mischievously like a kid in the back of the classroom.

Kristofferson took a deep inhale and leaned against the wall, still vibrating with adrenaline. He looked over at Willie as if to say, “Don’t say a word.” Then his eyes found me.

“You know what Waylon Jennings said about guys like him?” he whispered.

I shook my head.

“They’re doin’ to country music what pantyhose did to finger-fuckin’.”

The whole article's great.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
She sure can cook though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kristofferson owns and gently caress Toby keith

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The main thing I remember about Supernatural is the season that revolved around evil worms using high-fructose corn syrup to mind control people.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Bussamove posted:

The main thing I remember about Supernatural is the season that revolved around evil worms using high-fructose corn syrup to mind control people.

Wasn't that literally in an Animorphs book.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I hardly know any of Kristofferson's music, but his performance as an old officer in Fallout: New Vegas was incredible. Sounds like it would've been personal to him.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wasn't that literally in an Animorphs book.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, the Yeerks tried to put mind control drugs in the food supply but couldn't find any that worked.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

homelander doesnt do bennies, no chance they can get on with each other

guess he'll have to bollocks 'im

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Scorched eRf

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

As Nero Danced posted:

At the risk of giving into peer pressure, which seasons of supernatural are worth watching?

I stopped at the start of Season 11, but as with X-Files there's good standalone episodes throughout. The crossover with Scooby Doo is pure genius.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Supernatural isn't that bad of a show depending on your tolerance for cheesy melodrama. For anyone interested in it thanks to the acting of Soldier Boy on this show, I'd recommend just grabbing season one and starting there. It's pretty up front when an episode is plot heavy and when it's just a monster of the week nothing episode so if you just aren't feeling it you can skip stuff that sucks, and any time you reach a point where you aren't having fun with it or think it's gotten too stupid to be funny anymore you can just kinda stop. There's a lot of Supernatural but the vast majority of it isn't like, any great mystery or overarching plot hook since it's usually at its best when they just let the characters bounce off one another.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

zoux posted:

The Supernatural fandom should probably not be patting itself on the back for their devotion to Jensen Ackles. Their irl wives get harassed by fans and any female character added to the show enraged the fanbase such that they almost all got unceremoniously killed off.

And not because the audience members envisioned themselves in Sam or Dean's arms, oh no. No, they wanted something else entirely.

the superwholock thing? Is the boys part of the superwholock universe now?

superwholockboys

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Absolutely don't skim season 1 of Supernatural. Experience the Racist Truck episode with the credulity that God intended.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You also get to see pre running for president Robert Singer.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Absolutely don't skim season 1 of Supernatural. Experience the Racist Truck episode with the credulity that God intended.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I hope at one point there is a bunch of insane fanfiction where Soldier Boy is in a incestuous gay relationship with Homelander

The only thing I know about Supernatural is that even for the internet they have an insane fandom and fanfiction scene. The yaoi mpreg alpha wolf people look at them and say " y'all need to chill"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I hope at one point there is a bunch of insane fanfiction where Soldier Boy is in a incestuous gay relationship with Homelander

The only thing I know about Supernatural is that even for the internet they have an insane fandom and fanfiction scene. The yaoi mpreg alpha wolf people look at them and say " y'all need to chill"

the yaoi mpreg alpha wolf people *started* in the supernatural fandom op :v

also bold of you to assume it hasn't already been written

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

As Nero Danced posted:

E: another thought, this one feels more like wishful thinking. Butcher telling Hughie they're out of temp V is effectively cutting Hughie off and saving him, whether it's the truth or not. Part of me is hoping that he's just trying to protect Hughie rather than saying "to hell with the consequences, we finish the job." But that's just not who Butcher is, is it?

The odds of that feel like less than 30%, and that's me tripling the odds because we're heading into a season finale and there's usually a few extra uplifting/humanizing moments in there. But honestly I feel Butcher got Scrooge'd and it's going to accomplish jack loving poo poo.

Starlight and Kimiko continue to hold it down, though; Girls Get It Done :colbert:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Would have been more impactful if Kimiko could speak while unpowered and had to go back to being mute by getting her powers back

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i prefer they didn't just do a "because uh, magic serum" thing in order to pull the ol' reverse little mermaid. shes not a person with a disability because of her superpowers, shes someone with a disability who has superpowers

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

That DICK! posted:

i prefer they didn't just do a "because uh, magic serum" thing in order to pull the ol' reverse little mermaid. shes not a person with a disability because of her superpowers, shes someone with a disability who has superpowers

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

That DICK! posted:

Yeah, it seriously adds nothing if she suddenly gets to speak. Geordi LaForge didn't get to regain his sight on Star Trek TNG in part because it's kind of a kick in the dick to people who actually have such a disability in real life.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
When professor X lost his powers did his hair grow back and regained the ability to walk?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Geordi‘s visor is better than regular vision

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Absolutely don't skim season 1 of Supernatural. Experience the Bugs episode with the credulity that God intended.

FTFY.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i think the difference is kimiko isn't physically disabled, it's a result of trauma. i think it's debatable whether something like that should be portrayed as a state to be overcome or a fact of life to be accepted, since in real life people do move past this when the cause isn't physical and start talking again. kimiko doesn't lack language.

i don't really know the answer, i think the sexist origins of the character as a token non-speaking girl party member are too messy to just pretend this is good representation on its own, but as far as whether it's better to just keep her silent now or not, i think it'd be better to hear from people who have actually experienced this rather than people taking offense at the idea on their behalf.

i wonder if the creators have consulted with anybody about that.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

from a purely storytelling perspective having her suddenly regain her ability to speak because she doesnt have a magic potion in her anymore is incredibly stupid baby brain poo poo. the entire selling point of the series, imo, is that they try to limit fantasy storytelling conceits beyond 'there is a magic potion that gives people superpowers.' the attempt to play it as straight to our world as possible is the hook, not 'there's guys who KILL superheroes and say swears.' if they did what you're saying, i would ask, why can she now speak after many many many years of not speaking? would she not have suffered some sort of physical or mental atrophy that would prevent this?

i thought they accomplished essentially what you were asking for, with the dancing scene and how she would not be able to dance with him and genuinely feel his arms without having to worry about breaking them, or the last real hug they'd be able to take without her popping his freaking head off. and at that point, I'm yelling at the screen, I am saying, what, why can she now speak after many many many years of not speaking? would she not have suffered some sort of physical or mental atrophy that would prevent this?

some people are better at writing things off to 'the Will of the Force' than others. I think it's pretty stupid anywhere, but especially in a show that's supposed to be the REAL superhero show. there's a very cool singing scene in the second season of Picard you should watch if you like that sort of stuff though, it's absolutely epic, you should watch the whole season (and Season 1 to get the back story of course)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

You also get to see pre running for president Robert Singer.

And this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvfVEm6qkG0

One of the show writers is Ben Edlund - you know the guy who invented The Tick and wrote all the shows - and he is to Supernatural as Darin Morgan is to the X-Files.

(The above outtake is from a "comedy episode" where dean gets infected with a disease that makes him a coward and it's just a showcase for Jensen Ackles to do his best Mr. Bean)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASZkRM1vx54&t=6s

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 3, 2022

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Watching the animated Gunpowder getting beaten to a pulp by Soldier Boy kinda makes what Butcher did to him ten times worse.

Imagine having that background and then suddenly the guy who's been stalking you turns out to have Soldier-Boy level superpowers, and proceeds to cave your face in.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Counterpoint: he's a CHUD piece of poo poo.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Panfilo posted:

When professor X lost his powers did his hair grow back and regained the ability to walk?

I don't know if it's cannon or whatever but in one episode of the animated series the x-men lose their powers and Xavier is able to walk again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah it’s hard to feel bad for the guy whose two instances of being onscreen were calling for an armed insurrection and mowing people down indiscriminately with a machine gun.