Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Shellception posted:

Votecount for Day 1

My Second Re-Reg (7): Green Wing, NeverHelm, Caffeinated Jerkoff, Jadecore, AFancyQuestionMark, LupusAter, Jadecore, PlasticAutomaton, Bucnasti
NeverHelm (1): My Second Re-Reg
Green Wing (1): Cloacamazing!
Jadecore (0): Green Wing, Green Wing

Not Voting (4): cuntman.net, Hyper Crab Tank, Jadecore, wologar

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to execute.

Quoting this for my own reference. I think we'll find scum in the group that didn't vote day 1. I'm gonna re-read them all when I wake up, but my current reads have been town on HCT and Jadecore, and scum on wologar. I actually forgot Cuntman was in this game, though I am clearly one to talk. At a quick glance their posts have a lot of calling me out for my not posting, which is fair, but I'm gonna poke around in the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Hi everyone, sorry for the sudden absence. Family matters took priority. Still, it means I've got a lot of posts to dig into, so let's see what we've got.

First off - Plastic makes his return to the thread after a long time. He throws out three town reads that a number of people agree with including me, a scumread on someone I've also had my eye on, with an accompanying vote, and a call to look amongst the non-voters for scum which I also did earlier. It's still not a ton to go by, but it's better than nothing. I agree that it's noticeable that nobody's really been defending Plastic much besides a small push from Lupus. That suggests he's either town or this is a 4D chess sacrifice play, the latter of which would imply that Plastic's lurking is deliberate and also seems like kind of a stretch. But it's not impossible. Plastic still feels like he's keeping his cards close to his chest which isn't the best look but I also can't see anything obviously shady. Still high on my list of scum candidates.

What about Plastic's vote, wologar? Several of his posts feel like jokeposting (like the one where he accused himself of being scum) which is an easy way to look involved without saying much. His focus on meta aspects like the substitute needing to have a role to be relevant (which is very questionable logic) is eye-catching. And now that people seem to be starting to back off from Plastic a bit, his reaction is confusion. What I find most interesting however, is this set of posts:

wologar posted:

This is the same reason why I didn't push for PlasticAutomaton. Would mods give a missing scum role to a veteran in an otherwise newbie game? I want to say no, but his role has to be important. Otherwise, the game could have started with one less person, right? I know I may be completely wrong about this but I haven't discarded it.
Prior to this, wologar expressed a desire to vote Plastic for being a veteran when we had nothing else. And here he's using meta/role-assignment logic to say that Plastic isn't important, unless I'm completely misreading this. I dunno, its kind of vague. He then later goes back to it being a reason to vote Plastic later, once more people joined in on suspecting him. Their main reason, in fact:

wologar posted:

After checking some previous games, PlasticAutomaton disappearing from the thread seems par for the course. I would still vote him just for the replacement/role stuff.

wologar posted:

I don't think veterancy played a role, either. What I think happened is the following:

1. Game filled up.
2. Mods distributed roles randomly.
3. Someone ghosted discord.
4. Mods found out that the person that ghosted had an important role (scum? doctor?).
5. Game couldn't start without this role. Every other role had already been distributed and discord channels created. Solution? Wait for a replacement to appear.
6. PlasticAutomaton came to the rescue.

So, to be clear, I've got nothing against Plastic as a person. I would have been suspicious about anyone else in his situation. My extra wariness came from the fact that Plastic is a veteran and, if scum, could imbalance the game against town with his experience.

In summary: wologar claims to have nothing against Plastic but is still gunning for him really hard for questionable reasons, which aren't even the reasons I find Plastic suspicious. And they aren't even consistent in what those reasons are. All while openly considering the possibility that Plastic's "important role" could be a useful town role, they still think that voting Plastic is the correct play.

Personally I think one of these two are scum at this point. Maybe both of them, in the event that Plastic is a sacrificial scum. But wologar is giving me worse vibes right now. So I'm going to ##vote: wologar as well. I realize that might seem a little strange since my other top scumread just did the same. But I still stand by this logic. If wologar turn out to be town after all, then Plastic is a slam-dunk for my vote Day 3.

These two stand out the most right now. but what about the rest? Most of the reads I posted last time still hold true for me. CJ has improved a little bit while Lupus hasn't really done much except trying to counter HCT's arguments, which is a neutral action in my eyes. Of the remaining three non-voters, cuntman feels like the strongest case for scum. I feel like he's not adding much and mostly just going along with what others say. Cloacamazing is similar but not to the same extent, so I'm less confident in that one. HCT seems good so far, haven't got any real reason to think they are scum yet.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

wologar (2): PlasticAutomaton, NeverHelm
PlasticAutomaton (2): Hyper Crab Tank, wologar, Green Wing, Green Wing
Green Wing (1): Bucnasti
Bucnasti (0): Green Wing, Green Wing
Cloacamazing! (0): Green Wing, Green Wing

Not Voting (6): Caffeinated Jerkoff, Cloacamazing!, cuntman.net, Green Wing, Jadecore, LupusAter

With 11 alive, it's 6 votes to execute. The current deadline is July 05th, 2022 at 5 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 10 hours.

Deadline has been extended for 24h!

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

I've been trying to post some kind of grand unifying flip the chessboard (pour one out for the Golden Witch) theory for like two hours now and all I've got are several mutually exclusive theories that would just muddy things by posting. Game is hard, actually.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Game is hard right now, but I feel like whatever happens tonight, tomorrow will be easier. People have posted a lot of reads so depending on what the flip shows, we should know something we didn't know today, tomorrow.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Ok, screw it.

I don't like wologar's reasoning either.

The unanimity perhaps isn't as strong as I feared - by my count, there were 3 votes (counting my own), 2 highly-suspicious-trending-towards-vote, 4 most-suspicious-but-uncertain, and 1 "case isn't convincing.". The five on the end there gave themselves more than enough latitude to pull back from the vote (as NeverHelm has done, above).

The reason I originally put my vote on Plastic - the weird roleclaim-that-isn't-a-roleclaim - is still true regardless of anything. It's still a weird move that I don't trust, even if there are a number of other people (specifically, wologar, Cloaca, and Bucnasti) that I don't trust much (side note - HCT and wologar's reaction to getting just a hint of suspicion on them gave me a lot of pause).

But, anyway - despite those other suspicions (some but not all of which are mutually exclusive), I'm going to trust my own feelings on that weird roleclaim and go back to ##vote Plasticautomaton. Nothing changes the fact that hinting at having a special role seems like an odd move for a townie to make.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

To clarify because I just didn't finish a sentence there - I don't like wologar's reasoning but it doesn't at this time sufficiently change my own read, based on the odd roleclaim.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

NeverHelm posted:

If wologar turn out to be town after all, then Plastic is a slam-dunk for my vote Day 3.

This is what brings me solace.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Right now my top suspects are Plastic and Lupus as a pair.

Plastic for a lot of the same reasons as everyone else (not getting into the meta role selection an mod decision side of things), but especially because if they were town and had been IDed as the most experienced player in the game I really feel that scum would have offed them on Night one.

On his own Lupus is a little suspect but if I'm assuming that Plastic is Scum then Lupus has been indirectly deflecting from him since the beginning, as well as deflecting us from useful trains of thought like "why did scum choose Afancyquestionmark instead of somebody who was more active?"

My two big fears are:
1. Scum chose Afancyquestionmark completely arbitrarily on N1 to confuse people. In which case I'm wrong about everything.
2. That Green Wing is scum, and if I don't vote for them my masonic brother will go unavenged.

## Unvote

Although I don't think it matters at the moment, I'm taking my vote off Green Wing for clarity. BUT I STILL GOT MY EYE ON YOU.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Green Wing mentioned "flipping the board", so I'll try some what-if's for my strongest 'reads':

What if PlasticAutomaton is actually town?
That would mean that I've been completely wrong about the setup speculation from the very start. Then his reaction and vote would be justified as a human/emotional move. However, he appeared in the thread saying he would provide some information just to disappear again before doing it. Several times. He could be a very uninvested town.

What if LupusAter is actually town?
LupusAter pops up now and then to stifle discussion. I've been accused of doing the same Day 1, so it may well be that he's in the same position as me, where I don't communicate what's on my mind as well as I'd like to.

What if Green Wing is actually scum?
This is the most dangerous possibility of all, as Green Wing has been leading discussion from the start. The only thing I could say is that, were this the case, she's been doing a masterful job of leading town by the nose.

What if NeverHelm is actually scum?
They seem very analytical and reasonable. If scum, it could all be performative. The most damning thing I could say is that, both days, they have added their vote to someone else and then built a case.

What if Hyper Crab Tank is actually scum?
If that were the case, it would give me a good framework on how to act as scum for possible future games, because I can easily follow their line of thinking and agree with it.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

On his own Lupus is a little suspect but if I'm assuming that Plastic is Scum then Lupus has been indirectly deflecting from him since the beginning, as well as deflecting us from useful trains of thought like "why did scum choose Afancyquestionmark instead of somebody who was more active?"

Thing is, it's not a useful train of thought right now. With a single datapoint, it's at best reading tea leaves and at worst deliberately wasting time and effort.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

Green Wing posted:

Ok, screw it.

I don't like wologar's reasoning either.

The unanimity perhaps isn't as strong as I feared - by my count, there were 3 votes (counting my own), 2 highly-suspicious-trending-towards-vote, 4 most-suspicious-but-uncertain, and 1 "case isn't convincing.". The five on the end there gave themselves more than enough latitude to pull back from the vote (as NeverHelm has done, above).

The reason I originally put my vote on Plastic - the weird roleclaim-that-isn't-a-roleclaim - is still true regardless of anything. It's still a weird move that I don't trust, even if there are a number of other people (specifically, wologar, Cloaca, and Bucnasti) that I don't trust much (side note - HCT and wologar's reaction to getting just a hint of suspicion on them gave me a lot of pause).

But, anyway - despite those other suspicions (some but not all of which are mutually exclusive), I'm going to trust my own feelings on that weird roleclaim and go back to ##vote Plasticautomaton. Nothing changes the fact that hinting at having a special role seems like an odd move for a townie to make.

The role claim offer is bugging me, too. We don't have enough information D2 to guarantee we vote out a mafia member, and there's no evidence of a town protective role existing. So a town role claim would at best maybe catch a mafia member, and at worst redirect votes to a town member. Either way, if Plastic is town and claims a town-aligned role, odds are the mafia would run him out of town during the next night. Doesn't seem worth it at all. Of course, if he's a mafia member, then claiming a town role would be completely safe.

Without claiming a role, would you mind explaining why you said you'd reveal your role if necessary, PlasticAutomaton? I'm assuming it's something you can explain in terms of general game intent, without giving further hints about the hypothetical role itself.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

LupusAter posted:

Thing is, it's not a useful train of thought right now. With a single datapoint, it's at best reading tea leaves and at worst deliberately wasting time and effort.

You're not wrong about us not having enough data to be 100% certain about mafia motives, but being on the correct side of an argument that doesn't help town find the mafia is also wasting time and effort.

I know that's pretty rich coming from me, the guy who was pushing the wrong side of that argument for the first 30 hours of day 2, but I realized I was wrong and moved on to post about the thread's current suspicions and theories, and you're still correcting people. Who do you think is mafia, and why?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

LupusAter posted:

Then what data points should we be looking at? As far as I know we really only have one. So not perusing it is just reading tea leaves. Would you prefer just not deduce anything on Day 2 and vote randomly?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Caffeinated Jerkoff posted:

I apologize for the rough phrasing there, bad combo of being excited that day 2 was starting and rushed phoneposting. I wanted to get the idea that mafia intentionally avoided targeting Green Wing or NeverHelm posted ASAP, and didn't think too hard about whether I sounded accusatory or not.

I don't think the scenario I proposed is a massive leap, though. I think it's completely plausible that the mafia intentionally avoided targeting Green Wing or NeverHelm as their night elimination. Green Wing and NeverHelm were guaranteed to be under town scrutiny immediately after D2 started, and it would be easier for the mafia to convince town to vote either of them out than it would be to convince town to vote out a more innocuous poster.

so something about this has seemed weird for a while and i didnt realize why until now. at the time, the only other person who voted for green wing or was even suspicious of green wing at all was bucnasti. so if you follow this theory to the conclusion then it can only point to bucnasti. but none of your posts named bucnasti at all until you dropped the theory

basically what im saying is that i dont understand why you wouldnt follow your theory to its logical conclusion. im not sure if thats scum behavior though. another possibility is that you might have a role that protects someone from being night killed and youre trying to direct the mafia to night kill green wing so theyll waste their kill. or maybe theres some other role im not aware of

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

cuntman.net posted:

so something about this has seemed weird for a while and i didnt realize why until now. at the time, the only other person who voted for green wing or was even suspicious of green wing at all was bucnasti. so if you follow this theory to the conclusion then it can only point to bucnasti. but none of your posts named bucnasti at all until you dropped the theory

basically what im saying is that i dont understand why you wouldnt follow your theory to its logical conclusion. im not sure if thats scum behavior though. another possibility is that you might have a role that protects someone from being night killed and youre trying to direct the mafia to night kill green wing so theyll waste their kill. or maybe theres some other role im not aware of

My suspicion was 100% circumstantial, so I didn't want to hard accuse Bucnasti unless something else came up to support the idea that they're scum. I had my eye on what they were posting for a while, but after the whole mason rules mixup deal I didn't feel like pursuing it anymore. I still think they're suspicious, but not enough to try to push for a vote on them.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

The role claim offer is bugging me, too. We don't have enough information D2 to guarantee we vote out a mafia member, and there's no evidence of a town protective role existing. So a town role claim would at best maybe catch a mafia member, and at worst redirect votes to a town member. Either way, if Plastic is town and claims a town-aligned role, odds are the mafia would run him out of town during the next night. Doesn't seem worth it at all. Of course, if he's a mafia member, then claiming a town role would be completely safe.

Without claiming a role, would you mind explaining why you said you'd reveal your role if necessary, PlasticAutomaton? I'm assuming it's something you can explain in terms of general game intent, without giving further hints about the hypothetical role itself.

Oh yeah, it's quite simple. If I'm about to get voted out, then there's really no harm in outing what I am to give town maximum information. Worst case scenario, I still get voted out and town can be pointed right at the ones pushing me. Best case scenario, scum is forced to burn a bullet on me. It's doubly a good idea in this case since wologar's been arguing "he has to have an important role or is scum," and that's been basically the only reason stated to vote me.

My suspicion was 100% circumstantial, so I didn't want to hard accuse Bucnasti unless something else came up to support the idea that they're scum. I had my eye on what they were posting for a while, but after the whole mason rules mixup deal I didn't feel like pursuing it anymore. I still think they're suspicious, but not enough to try to push for a vote on them.

That's interesting. If you're not going to push on who you think is suspicious, then who do you want to push on?

(Also I re-read, and of the people not voting Day 1 I'm still most stuck on Wologar.)

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Oh yeah, it's quite simple. If I'm about to get voted out, then there's really no harm in outing what I am to give town maximum information. Worst case scenario, I still get voted out and town can be pointed right at the ones pushing me. Best case scenario, scum is forced to burn a bullet on me. It's doubly a good idea in this case since wologar's been arguing "he has to have an important role or is scum," and that's been basically the only reason stated to vote me.

That's an interesting way to think about it. I guess I was undervaluing the amount of information town gets after a vote, since it's been sort of hard to figure anything out from the D1 vote in this game (I assume that's normal for D1 votes).

PlasticAutomaton posted:

That's interesting. If you're not going to push on who you think is suspicious, then who do you want to push on?

It's a degree of suspicion thing. I thought Bucnasti was suspicious because they fit my expectation for what scum would do early D2, but they've since walked back their suspicion and tried to identify mafia using the D1 votes and people's posts. If they'd doubled down instead, that'd put them over the threshold of suspicious activity I'd expect from mafia, and I'd start trying to get people to vote for them.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

PlasticAutomaton posted:

(Also I re-read, and of the people not voting Day 1 I'm still most stuck on Wologar.)

I forgot to ask: Why do you think there's mafia within the group who didn't vote on Day 1?

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I've reconsidered.

Assuming Day 2's elimination remains between Plastic or myself, I see four scenarios:

Plastic is executed and is scum.
Result: All's right with the world.

Plastic is executed and is town.
Result: I'll probably get executed next and scum gets ahead.

I'm executed and Plastic is scum.
Result: Plastic probably gets executed next. All's right with the world.

I'm executed and Plastic is town.
Result: Plastic probably gets executed next and scum gets ahead.

I don't think a 50% chance to gift the game to scum is worthwhile at this stage and I've been doubting myself after I made my last post.

##unvote

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I forgot to ask: Why do you think there's mafia within the group who didn't vote on Day 1?

Scum can be a bit more hesitant to actually lay down a vote, especially early in the game. It's hard to form opinions early and follow through with votes as town. It's even harder for scum to fake opinions and push on them. So I'm pretty sure at least one scum is in that group of four.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
That is also why scum tend to bandwagon on the early votes, assuming it's not for one of them. Sometimes even then, especially if that vote seems like a lost cause and they get brownie points for joining in. It is easier to join the town's misguided crusade than start your own, and it won't attract the same amount of attention as Green Wing's example shows. As I stated previously I believe we're looking at a mix of strategies from scum. The non-voters aren't a terrible place to start looking. I focused on the ones actually voting earlier because I felt that they had more to actually read from, but I agree with the sentiment that there's probably a scum or two among those that didn't vote. Because that was about a third of us, and that's roughly the ratio I expect for scum-town. If they are mixing up their plays as I believe, at least one is likely to fall into that category.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

wologar posted:

I don't think a 50% chance to gift the game to scum is worthwhile at this stage and I've been doubting myself after I made my last post.

I don't disagree with your outcome matrix, but do we have a vote with a better than 50% chance of a good outcome somewhere else?

I feel like I should lay out all my current reads again for clarity, because we're getting closer to deadline.

Green Wing: Likely town. Has been actively posting and trying to find angles, although I think she jumps at shadows a bit too much (e.g. the "posting exactly 10 times" angle from day one I think is a complete dud). Nevertheless, this seems more like overly enthusiastic town than scum to me.

Bucnasti: Likely town. The whole masonry bit seems too specific to make up on the spot, the logic checks out, and I think scum would've tried to defend Re-Reg if Bucnasti was a scum mason.

PlasticAutomaton: Likely scum. Posting erratically, only posting the occasional hint that we could probably have figured out on our own, i.e. wanting to appear helpful but isn't actually. Implies he has a role early which seems suicidal. However, I am cursed to never be sure of anything so there's a chance he's just town and kind of apathetic. I do agree with the possibility of there being scum among the people who didn't vote, but it could also be misdirection.

LupusAter: Likely scum. Has been spending most of day two discouraging people from following trains of thought related to what the scum might be thinking and casting soft suspicion on Green Wing, who I think is likely town. Voted Re-Reg on day one with the justification that "advocating for people not to play the game isn't a good look", but seems to be doing the same thing now. Hasn't contributed any new theories or any scum reads. This combination of passivity and discouraging lines of questioning is giving me bad vibes.

NeverHelm: Slightly town. Has been posting theories and actively participating. Not a strong read.

Caffeinated Jerkoff: Slightly town. Similar to NeverHelm, not a strong read, but having similar scum reads to me might be making me more inclined to believe he's town.

Jadecore: Slightly scum. Seems to be trying to muddle the waters about PlasticAutomaton in her latest post while handwaving vaguely in my direction without outright wanting to call me scum. Day one reads were similarly wishy-washy, but ultimately landing on weakly anti-Green Wing and anti-Re-Reg. Gives me the feeling of someone trying their best to not appear too passive, but also not contribute anything that is strongly going to direct anyone in the direction of people they know are scum.

cuntman.net: Slightly scum. Has mostly been posting about Green Wing and not participated in any broader sense towards finding scum. Very reactive posting. Passivity is bad for town and good for scum, so that makes me lean a little towards scum.

wologar: Slightly scum. I don't buy the "Plastic likely has an important function" angle, because I think it's much more likely Shellception simply set up the game for a count of 13 and knew she could find replacements if we fell short, so getting Plastic into the game was just matter of course and does not hold any special significance. Other than that, hasn't been posting much of anything or voting, which is why they get a slightly scum rating instead of a neutral rating - but only because I think passivity is scummy. This is not a strong read.

Cloacamazing: Neutral. She hasn't been posting much day two and is in going to get a moderator warning if this keeps up until the end of the day. Mostly seems to be suspicious of Green Wing which could be a scum thing, but is too soft for me to really consider it a vibe.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Ffff that's what I get for typing on my phone, refresh the page, lose the whole thing.

I really, really don't like wologar's recent posting. First of all doing the "if I must be sacrificed fit the good of the town, so be it" thing, then doing what reads to be as a content less Hypothesising, then this weird 50% thing which again isn't so much analysis as stating 'eliminating town is bad'.

Plastic Automaton, you've gone into your thoughts about how and why you would claim, could you go on to explain why you relatively early said you would "claim if you had to", like, surely that is a tactical misstep? That was the final reason I decided to actually vote, so knowing your thoughts there might serve to sway me.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
It's less that 12h to deadline. From now on, all lurker rules are in. I realize I forgot to post the people who already got a warning D1, which usually are listed in public - Bucnasti, CaffeinatedJerkoff and LupusAter got a lurker warning Day 1.

We are doing a small rule change. We'd originally planned to go with the old "second offense is a straight on modkill", but I actually feel a tad badly about modkilling anyone on a game aimed to learning the ropes.

So we'll go with another interpretation of the rule, that's less used, but still used: players failing to meet the 10 posts minimum for two in-game days will become freely executable instead. That means that, if the thread reaches a majority on them, they'll flip. This vote will be separate from the normal vote, and the day will not end if they flip. This way, they will get an opportunity to defend themselves, instead of me doing the zapping behind the scenes.

This will go into effect the day after the second warning. If they are not executed that same day, they'll need a third offense to became executable again.

To be honest, this is mostly clarification. I don't think we're ever using this - thread isn't all high volume posting, but I'm seeing a good amount of participation, which is actually great!

Shellception fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 5, 2022

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I don't disagree with your outcome matrix, but do we have a vote with a better than 50% chance of a good outcome somewhere else?

I don't know yet.

Plastic, Green Wing and you have said that I'm not scum-hunting or that I'm making content-less posts. In my mind, besides joking around here and there, all I've been doing is trying to figure the game out to have a good time and hopefully win as town. It's not working.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Maybe my rating is unnecessarily suspicious there. I debated just putting neutral there instead and maybe I should have. It's mostly that you've mostly agreed with other people, besides the "Plastic must've filled in an important slot" theory, which I don't think is particularly useful - but maybe that's not a reason to be suspicious.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Green Wing posted:

Ffff that's what I get for typing on my phone, refresh the page, lose the whole thing.

I really, really don't like wologar's recent posting. First of all doing the "if I must be sacrificed fit the good of the town, so be it" thing, then doing what reads to be as a content less Hypothesising, then this weird 50% thing which again isn't so much analysis as stating 'eliminating town is bad'.

Plastic Automaton, you've gone into your thoughts about how and why you would claim, could you go on to explain why you relatively early said you would "claim if you had to", like, surely that is a tactical misstep? That was the final reason I decided to actually vote, so knowing your thoughts there might serve to sway me.

The whole crux of the argument involved roles, so I figured I'd be open and pledge to claim if needed. It's not even saying I actually HAVE a role, I could just be loving with scum after all. :devil: But I'll be stepping out for errands and be around before deadline, so offer's on the table if people are still concerned.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

PlasticAutomaton posted:

The whole crux of the argument involved roles, so I figured I'd be open and pledge to claim if needed. It's not even saying I actually HAVE a role, I could just be loving with scum after all. :devil: But I'll be stepping out for errands and be around before deadline, so offer's on the table if people are still concerned.

I only remembered what softclaiming was a couple days ago and I already remember that I hate it! :argh:

It's like 5 hours to deadline and we seem to be sliding into an apathy vote. I was starting to talk myself into voting for one of the lower-content people (Cloaca specifically), but at this stage that hardly seems worth it. I'm going to hold my fire for now, stay where I am, and see what else comes in over the next couple hours, I guess?

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

wologar (2): PlasticAutomaton, NeverHelm
PlasticAutomaton (2): Hyper Crab Tank, wologar, Green Wing, Green Wing, Green Wing, wologar
Bucnasti (0): Green Wing, Green Wing
Green Wing (0): Bucnasti, Bucnasti
Cloacamazing! (0): Green Wing, Green Wing

Not Voting (7): Bucnasti, Caffeinated Jerkoff, Cloacamazing!, cuntman.net, Jadecore, LupusAter, wologar

With 11 alive, it's 6 votes to execute. The current deadline is July 05th, 2022 at 5 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 5 hours, 16 minutes.

Deadline has been extended for 24h!

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
I’m coming to the conclusion that I might tend to read confidence at this stage of this game as suspicious if only because I really don’t know how to be confident in any of my reads. Which isn’t helpful.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Jadecore: Slightly scum. Seems to be trying to muddle the waters about PlasticAutomaton in her latest post while handwaving vaguely in my direction without outright wanting to call me scum. Day one reads were similarly wishy-washy, but ultimately landing on weakly anti-Green Wing and anti-Re-Reg. Gives me the feeling of someone trying their best to not appear too passive, but also not contribute anything that is strongly going to direct anyone in the direction of people they know are scum.

That being said, I do have to ask: do you want me to, like… lie? And say “oh wow, I’m getting MAJOR sussy vibes from this one individual and no counterarguments make any logical sense to me, time to burn”? Because even if I don’t agree with them, I can understand where a bunch of arguments in the thread are coming from. And I don’t really have reads I’m incredibly confident in. If that’s wishy-washy then I guess I am, but I don’t see that as an inherently bad thing. Also I don’t thiiiiink I was ever particularly anti Green Wing beyond “I understand the argument”.

I shouldn’t be taking an accusation particularly personally but your reasoning bugs me. Maybe I should have read some more old games and this is a normal train of thought.

Anyway, even if this sounds” wishy washy”, I haven’t really been particularly suspicious of wologar before this point but the whole “willing to sacrifice myself for town” thing has weird vibes, like actively trying to get martyred? Or using that AS a defense? There are probably third party roles in SA Mafia that want to get flipped, right?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I've been going back and forth between wologar and Plastic Automaton, and I'm still not entirely sure, but with the most recent posts, my gut feeling is on wologar. End of day is coming, so ##vote wologar .

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Jadecore posted:

There are probably third party roles in SA Mafia that want to get flipped, right?

The SA Mafia wiki lists a role called "Jester" that explicitly wants to get killed, but it also says that's an uncommon role. I can see why, and on the basis of that I assume Shellception wouldn't put a role like that in a beginner game.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Jadecore posted:

Anyway, even if this sounds” wishy washy”, I haven’t really been particularly suspicious of wologar before this point but the whole “willing to sacrifice myself for town” thing has weird vibes, like actively trying to get martyred? Or using that AS a defense? There are probably third party roles in SA Mafia that want to get flipped, right?

You mean jesters, yeah?

The SA Mafia Wiki posted:

A Jester is a fairly uncommon third-party role that must be executed to win the game. Other ways of dying, such as being killed by a Vigilante or nightkilled by the Mafia, do not satisfy this win condition.

Jesters are considered easy roles to win with, so typically they are not allowed to win on Day 1.

They are uncommon because they cause a town to second-guess themselves; mods often explicitly state in the OP that jesters are assured to not be in the game as a courtesy to players.

I agree that it gives weird vibes, but I'm not willing to consider the possibility of a jester because...that'd be wild? That seems like it'd be wild. For me, it's suspicious because it seems to be claiming "I'm *so* townie I'd happily be executed to prove it!" (where losing a townie is always a negative to the town really)

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Slipping a Jester into a newbie game seems like a cruel joke. Can't 100% rule it out of course, but wologar's recent backpedaling suggests to me that they don't have such a role. It feels like a move meant to reduce the heat on them.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Right, a jester. I know a role like that is pretty common in other mafia/werewolf style games, so I kinda figured that if we were going to have ANY third party role that would probably be it, but if they’re noted to be uncommon for SA then that’s prooooobably not what’s happening.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Bah, I feel like this day has gone on so long I've worked my brain into a knot. I really wish we had more information to go on, but the day is going to end soon. Right now, I'm still comfortable keeping my vote on Plastic, so if anyone has a better case, now's the time to pull it out.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Yeah I'm also feeling a bit spent on this long day, to be honest. I could be convinced for either Plastic or wologar (and have explained to death my reasons for suspicion on both) but, much like HCT and Plastic I don't think that they can both be scum. (and again - this is mutual exclusivity, there are of course scenarios where they're all town)

But, like, also:

Cloacamazing! posted:

I've been going back and forth between wologar and Plastic Automaton, and I'm still not entirely sure, but with the most recent posts, my gut feeling is on wologar. End of day is coming, so ##vote wologar .

I don't like this vote! I'm sorry for continuing to bash the cloaca drum (...ew?) but, eh. The list of people I'm not suspicious of is getting pretty small, so. I'm staying where I am, but I wouldn't be so unhappy with a wologar vote if necessary (or, like, any of the less-active players, sorry)

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

I just read back through the thread from the start of Day 2 looking at every mention of Plastic, and the case against them.

Suspicion against Plastic started with HCT pointing out that Plastic's missing Day 1 effortpost is suspicious. wologar followed up with the assertion that Plastic's role must be important. As the thread moves on, several other people voice suspicion of Plastic, largely either due to Plastic's inactivity or the missing Day 1 effortpost. wologar only begins to back down after suspicion is turned on them, based on their primary reasoning for voting Plastic.

From what I can tell, the case against Plastic is:
1. He promised an effortpost D1 and forgot to post
2. He hasn't been posting much/hasn't been helping town
3. His role must be important because the game couldn't start without it

I'd argue that's a bad case. The first point is a mistake, not malice. Plastic has actively tried to remedy the second point, by arguing that there must be at least one scum who didn't vote D1, and trying to narrow down who that is. And as far as I can tell, wologar is the only person who believes the third point.

I was suspicious of wologar as of my list post. I got less suspicious of wologar when they posted their list, because their takes seemed to agree with my own. But looking at the history of mentions of Plastic from D2 onward, wologar starts to look strange. Everything wologar has posted from this post onward really hasn't helped. They got frustrated that Green Wing backed off, then when heat started to direct at them, they questioned their own case and backed off. I think the frustration post might indicate that wologar's scum. Instead of asking themselves why Green Wing backed off, they lashed out and implied that they thought Green Wing was scum.

##vote wologar

While I'm sticking my neck out with an accusation... This vote is a bus:

Cloacamazing! posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Sorry, kind of tired, so I I didn't feel like making a long post, most of what I was thinking had already been said by others and I was getting frustrated that I couldn't think of much to say during this day and will get my first strike. I've slightly recovered now, so here's my reasoning:

The problem with this day was that, despite a good start, nothing much has happened in the later parts that could give any clue whatsoever. There have especially been no votes, just people saying who they think might be kind of suspicious, but not putting anything forward (discounting Green Wing, who has at this point voted more than the rest of us combined, but the constant retracting didn't really help). I went through most of the post for my big list at the beginning of the day, and the wologar/Plastic situation stuck out to me.

wologar has been fixated on Plastic Automaton being scum literally since the game started.

quote:

Hello my dear friends! It feels so wonderful to be here with you on my first Mafia game.

Speaking of, isn't it mighty suspicious that someone 'with experience' appeared right after a beloved member of our community was kidnapped? I call foul play.

quote:

PlasticAutomaton posted:
Hi friends, I just finished looking up the GameFAQs guide for Mafia so I feel confident that I know who all the scums are already.

Is it you?

quote:

That said, since Green Wing brought up no execution, I would rather vote PlasticAutomaton. As the only one here with previous game experience, he would be a great asset for the mafia team. And if he's town, we would still have superior numbers.

In the beginning it might have been a joke, but it's gone on a bit too long for that. From wologar's later posts on this day, I'm reaching the conclusion that they're scum who believe that Plastic Automaton, due to him being a replacement and because of the hints he's been dropping, has an important town role and are trying to push for that. It seems likely, and it's something I've seen before where a scum player was trying to jokingly get people to vote for a player they thought was dangerous.

(edit for grammar stuff, changed "getting to the conclusion" to "reaching the conclusion")