Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

https://twitter.com/USWNT/status/1496678578183933955

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
oh my god another one!!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
MACARIO DOES IT AGAIN GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

fake edit: also I've been pretty impressed by our goalie in this game, Murphy; I like her aggressiveness

real edit: PEW PEW PUGH MAKES IT 3-0

real edit 2: the male commentator for these games sounds so much like Bash Howard from GLOW, it's nuts

real edit 3: THE PUGH-MACARIO DREAM CONNECTION ROLLING 4-0 WOOOOOO

surf rock fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 24, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
PEW PEW PUGH x2

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
AND MEWIS MAKES FIVE

What a positive trendline for this tournament: a 0-0 draw, followed by a 5-0 win aided by three own goals, ending with a clean 5-0 win.

I don't feel that our defensive performance has been strong enough to merit the total tournament shutout, but hell, I'll take it!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Oh cool, the USL is creating a woman's league that will be tier 2 on US Soccer pyramid...with a fall-to-summer calendar...

...good luck with that.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Today marks the start of the NWSL Challenge Cup, a preseason tournament akin to the ones that took place the last two years because of COVID. The 12 teams will be split into 3 conferences (Reign [Seattle], Portland, San Diego, LA; Chicago, Houston, Kansas City, Louisville; NY/NJ, Washington, North Carolina, Orlando) in a round-robin group stage, with the conference winners and highest 2nd place team going to a single-legged knockout tourney which concludes May 7. Tonight's games will be KC @ Lousville at 7:30PM EST and Portland @ Reign at 10PM EST, both on Paramount+.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Ada is back on the national team.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

22 minutes is all it took and now she's scored two goals.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

this friendly v uzbekistan is a rout already, but lmao at the sequence of headers that led to the first goal and then the second coming immediately after the restart

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Ok, that 7th goal was a sick touch. Although it's rather telling that it was 2 on 5 or 6 when that cross was sent in and the US still scored.

E: holy poo poo the US actually conceded a goal :psyduck:

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 9, 2022

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

nice set piece defending

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

2nd match vs. Uzbekistan starts with an OG after :25.

Yeah, probably going to be another blowout.

E: 9-0 final. Could've been more but the US spent most of the second half shooting the ball either a foot wide or right at the keeper.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 13, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

And with Angel City playing a massive spoiler vs. a COVID-hit Portland, the group stage of the NWSL Challenge Cup has wrapped up. Semifinal matchups will be:

#1 OL Reign (4-0-2, West winner) vs. #4 Washington Spirit (2-0-4, best 2nd place team thanks to NWSL using Goal Differential instead of Wins as the first tiebreaker for some reason)
#2 North Carolina Courage (3-0-3, East winner) vs. #3 Kansas City Current (4-1-1, Central winner)

Games will take place on May 4 @ 8 and 10PM EST, final on May 7 at 1PM EST.

The Reign/Spirit matchup will be interesting because it's a rematch from last year's playoffs (which the Spirit won 2-1 before winning the final), a rematch in the same week (stupidly the start of the regular season overlaps the Challenge Cup playoffs, with the Spirit hosting the Reign) and both teams' stadiums are unavailable on May 4 so the match will take place at ???

e: Reign/Spirit will be held at Segra Field in Virginia, which is very much not close to Seattle. Sigh.

e2: Audi Field is unavailable due to an all-day summit...that the NWSL Commissioner and USSF President are speaking at :ironicat:

e3: lol n/m, the game will now be at Audi Field

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 28, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Guess not all of the shitbags in the league were caught last year: Houston Dash HC and GM suspended pending investigation

:smith:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

When you’ve wrung all the joy out your SGs nobody shows up. There was a full overhead tifo pull painted and staged, but not enough people showed up to pull ropes.

https://twitter.com/mkurfis/status/1520525095202029569?s=21&t=20v3gX0RGRnZeGoN7daR8A

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA
In Europe, the Women's Champion League final starts in about 13 hours (19:00 central euro time). Will air on Youtube, various countries also have TV deals.

The match features reigning champions Barcelona versus pre-pandemic powerhouse Lyon. It is a rematch of the 2019 final, where Lyon comfortably won 4-1, the only reason the score wasn't worse is probably because they took their foot off the gas after scoring 4 goals in the first 30 minutes.

Since then, Barça have generally handed out thumpings of their own, while Lyon missed out on both the UWCL final and the domestic league last year, although a couple of key players were out with injury. So we'll have Barcelona out for revenge, while Lyon is looking for redemption.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Lyon have a who's who of great players. Ada Hegerberger, Dzenifer Marozan, Wendy Renard, Amadine Henry, Euginie Le Sommer, and the list goes on. They drew once in 20 league games (against PSG), lost to PSG in the Coupe de France, and lost once in the Champions League group stage to Bayern Munich. I wouldn't be shocked if they really pushed Barca to their limit.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Final is live on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1o4Glymnzc

Bourricot fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 21, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I tuned in just in time to see a replay of Henry burying that :eyepop:

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

phwoar what a goal

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

barcelona's defending is farcical

one might say...farcelona

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Lyon making this look easy

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Not a terribly exciting second half, but I'm pretty sure Lyon doesn't really give a drat.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://twitter.com/diegodv8/status/1528062992516104192?s=21&t=ddtNk-0o34X49dQXuXuo_g

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

God god awmighty

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Didn't get to catch it live, but watched a replay and holy gently caress that Amandine Henry goal.

If Barca score one of their first couple good chances it might have been a different game, but Lyon were just so loving good. Hype to see a rematch at some point next season, hopefully.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Are the NWSL coaching ranks still :tif:?

quote:

The NWSL and NWSLPA Joint Investigative Team has recommended that Orlando Pride Head Coach Amanda Cromwell and Assistant Coach Sam Greene be placed on temporary administrative leave, effective immediately...

Yes :smith:

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

The eternal geniuses at the football federation decided to change the way the Norwegian women's league, Toppserien, works. The new system was postponed for two years due to corona, but it was finally implemented this year and it's a mess.

Instead of having a normal winner and relegation playoff at the end of the season it's now split into a "regular season" where the ten teams play a regular set of matches against each other until the table is sorted and then divided into a Top Four group and a Bottom Six. The Top Four start the playoff with 6, 4, 2 and 0 points depending on where they ended up, and then they play two games against each other and the winner and runner-up gets the Champions League spots for next year. Meanwhile the Bottom Six gets joined by the Top Two from the 1st Division and they play to avoid relegation, with the #7 and #8 team getting relegated, while the #6 team plays a qualifier against the winner of the Bottom Eight in the 1st Division.

Now that leaves 5 teams at least with not much to gain or lose from playing a new round of games as they're pretty safe from relegation and originally the thought was to give the best team in the Bottom Six the 2nd Champions League spot, so they have something to play for. But that was changed... uhhh... a week before the season started. Which kinda tracks with the intention of this change being to increase the co-efficiency of the Norwegian league in the UEFA rankings, by having the best teams in the league play more games against each other and thus get more practice against tougher teams. But there's so many downsides to this change and I think one of the coaches for one of the Top Four teams proposed just doing a playoff league with two best Swedish and Danish teams, which sounds infinitely better and more practical.

NRK sent out a questionnaire to every team and player in the league and one (1) player was positive towards the new system.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Wow, that sounds pretty goddamn stupid.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

watching the u.s. v colombia friendly and my takeaway is we need to work on penalties. both horan and lavelle missed one

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

LET'S GO ALEX

edit: LET'S GO ALEX x2

surf rock fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 5, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I think she's got a future with this squad...

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

sauerbrunn looks cooked

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

US lucked out there, yikes

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

yikes, that's a deserved red

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

That was not a subtle penalty

edit: SERIOUSLY?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

This is getting reviewed because...CONCACAF, I'm guessing

And it got overturned because lol concacaf

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

lol

possibly even lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

It looks like there are ~200 people in attendance.