Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

3 percent of American adults own half the guns.

you asked dawg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

What the gently caress would be the point of Las Vegas being an op? Wanted to ban bump stocks that badly? We let 20 first graders get murdered we aren't doing jack poo poo.

Ok why do you think he carefully planned and perpetrated the largest mass shooting in US history

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Ok why do you think he carefully planned and perpetrated the largest mass shooting in US history

Why did Adam Lanza murder 20 first graders.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

any day now the CIA will get around to finally cashing in on decades of mass shootings and take our guns away, any day now.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

to cover up what Stephen Paddock was actually doing there with that many guns.

he was going postal

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Tezer posted:

The TFR gun control thread is going well

delivering 360 no scopes to the guy launching a bottle rocket 300 yards from my barn

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

probably had something to do with him being a racist conservative ideologue. we don’t even know that much about Paddock

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

after the wild success of the op at sandy hook and the banning of assault rifles, the CIA then orchestrated the las vegas shootings to then ban all handguns in america, paving the way for the communist state

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

I’ll answer your question after you answer mine :)

WoodrowSkillson posted:

any day now the CIA will get around to finally cashing in on decades of mass shootings and take our guns away, any day now.

I think you watch too much Fox News if that’s what you believe

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Bakers Cousin posted:

lol good thread to pop into to defend guns protecting private property btw bud

yw

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

WoodrowSkillson posted:

In Canada there’s a major scandal right now as not only did the RCMP gently caress up their response to what seems like an RCMP informant committing a mass shooting, they also interfered in the investigation to help the Liberal Party ban guns.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

if it’s an op (it definitely isn’t) the goal wouldn’t be to take our guns away, the goal’s to normalize mass murders as anomalous unrelated individualist actions perpetrated overwhelmingly by extreme rightists so they could cash in on it at some point by killing a bunch of commies or union organizers without triggering alarm bells

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

indigi posted:

if it’s an op (it definitely isn’t) the goal wouldn’t be to take our guns away, the goal’s to normalize mass murders as anomalous unrelated individualist actions perpetrated overwhelmingly by extreme rightists so they could cash in on it at some point by killing a bunch of commies or union organizers without triggering alarm bells

truly this is what needs to be done, as the national outrage after the Ferguson protest leaders all committed suicide by shooting themselves and then setting their cars on fire led to widespread scrutiny of the police and reforms that changed national policing policy

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

A Bakers Cousin posted:

lol every single public area with a fire warning also has giant NO GUNS EITHER signs

the supreme court just ruled that the right to bear arms can't be infringed in public places so none of those signs are constitutional now

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

truly this is what needs to be done, as the national outrage after the Ferguson protest leaders all committed suicide by shooting themselves and then setting their cars on fire led to widespread scrutiny of the police and reforms that changed national policing policy

are you capable of stating what you actually believe or do you feel the need to couch everything in low effort sarcasm

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Groovelord Neato posted:

What the gently caress would be the point of Las Vegas being an op? Wanted to ban bump stocks that badly? We let 20 first graders get murdered we aren't doing jack poo poo.

The material effect of any one of these events is never significant and has no impact on policy that I can discern.

The net impact of all of these events is a general contribution to destabilization of the republic, polarization along partisan lines, public anxiety which swells in predictable waves and can be manipulated through media, and shaking faith in institutions to protect us.

If one is inclined to believe a certain set of theories that arise, more or less, out of the existence of MKULTRA and related programs and the likelihood that these programs continued long beyond where the declassified public records that can be found with FOIA start, then it's pretty easy to start inventing reasons that such acts could have happened as a result of either direct state action or groups of spooks trying to steer public anxiety.

The flipside is that, based on 41 years of living here, many people are loving assholes and like 2/3 of that group seems to be armed to the loving teeth. So, what's more likely, the state secretly and covertly setting up some number of these events or explicitly allowing them to occur with foresight and knowledge -- or, the state simply being a place that's full of rear end in a top hat lunatics with guns, and periodically capitalizing on it when one of them decides to go shoot up some public space?

I don't actually know but the second thing doesn't involve any real spoopyness and also seems like a thing that's prone to just happen with frequency as a nation full of armed idiots gets increasingly squeezed for material goods.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Complications posted:

the supreme court just ruled that the right to bear arms can't be infringed in public places so none of those signs are constitutional now

its mainly about shooting i think you can still have guns with you to like shoot bears or whatever fireworks handlers i suppose

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

are you capable of stating what you actually believe or do you feel the need to couch everything in low effort sarcasm

good question. serious question. everybody take some time and think about this. I know I will

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i don't understand why the cia would need to run ops to do mass shootings in america, we already have them

and if you're looking for evidence of mind control, you don't need to dig up shadowy cia conspiracies, just check out what's playing on OANN

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

the white hand posted:

good question. serious question. everybody take some time and think about this. I know I will

so no then? lol

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Complications posted:

it's a lovely opinion that's going to make it harder for states to regulate guns, but this is a misrepresentation. It looks to me like they are telling NYS (and implicitly everywhere else), that "shall issue" permits are the law of the land. That is, this ruling does not prevent NYS from requiring permits to own or carry pistols. It does prevent NYS from saying "if you want to carry a gun you need to provide a good reason for why which is then approved by the state", and flips the onus around to "if the state wants to prevent you from carrying a gun, then the state must demonstrate a good reason why you are not entitled to do so".

Yes, lovely, very very very loving far from saying "gun free zones in schools are now illegal". In fact, NYC is at least making noise about just designating the entire loving city as a gun-free zone (https://www.thecity.nyc/2022/6/23/23180506/could-all-new-york-city-designated-gun-free-zone) -- the current SCOTUS would obviously strike that down, but we'd find out what the new limits in the new normal are.

Groovelord Neato posted:

3 percent of American adults own half the guns.

this is true, but also seems like mostly a thief magnet since even Paddock couldn't use more than 1-2 weapons at a time. Also, while a small number of people have a lot of the guns, if you have 3 neighbors, statistically 1-2 of them are armed

https://www.statista.com/statistics/249740/percentage-of-households-in-the-united-states-owning-a-firearm/
I think this is an underestimate because of the number of paranoiac gun owners who would immediately slam the phone down if some surveyor asked them about weapons.

Dustcat posted:

i don't understand why the cia would need to run ops to do mass shootings in america, we already have them

and if you're looking for evidence of mind control, you don't need to dig up shadowy cia conspiracies, just check out what's playing on OANN

This is where Occam tends to get me, but also the CIA etc have done some really gross poo poo and if there were 1-2 mass casualty events over the years that had the stink of the MIC on them somewhere it wouldn't meaningfully change my world view.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

those weren’t mass murders but go off son

someusername
Jan 26, 2015

Cabbages and Kings posted:

edit: for FUCKS sake did I just give someone advice on buying a gun in the loving mass shootings thread? What the gently caress is wrong with me, what the gently caress is wrong with this demon cracker nation

Sold me on it, thanks! I mostly wanted to know if I should get in on some cheap plentiful murdersticks before some kind of bubble pops or I get classified as lesser human.

someusername has issued a correction as of 16:09 on Jul 6, 2022

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

Mass gatherings threaten the State. Doesn't matter if it's a concert, a protest, a fireworks show, or the local team winning the World Series.

School shootings are allowed because the bourgeois dictatorship intends to privatize them.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 16:04 on Jul 6, 2022

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Shouldn't the thread title say more American than 4th of July now?

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

good question. Also why was there some dude in camo and black gear behind the school who was initially arrested and then let go and no information was ever released on who he was or why?

It's certainly possible, perhaps likely, that it's a dumb coincidence of some kind but the initial reporting was along these lines:

quote:

A man with a gun who was spotted in the woods near the school on the day of the incident was an off-duty tactical squad police officer from another town, according to the source.

The information was attributed to “a reliable local law enforcement source.” The only links that mention this information all refer back to the original Newtown Bee article

That Newton Bee article has been scrubbed, so, all we have is wordpress poo poo saying it existed!

I do remember at the time thinking "why the gently caress was there an off-duty tactical officer in gear behind the school before the shooting? That's kinda weird".

Not any weirder than the fact that a couple people from the Boston Marathon bombing told the media that LEO was conducting a "bomb drill" the day of the event

quote:

"At the starting line this morning, they had bomb sniffing dogs and the bomb squad out there," he said. "They kept announcing to runners not to be alarmed, that they were running a training exercise."

He added, "I've run a lot of races like this one, but I never saw bomb dogs at the starting line of any running event. It led me to believe that something like (a bomb detonation) might have happened."
https://www.al.com/live/2013/04/boston_marathon_explosion_univ.html

There's weird poo poo around most events if you start digging and losing your sense of incredulousness because the world is a weird, inexplicable place.

Cabbages and Kings has issued a correction as of 16:19 on Jul 6, 2022

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

the issue is that probably half of mass shootings are ops and the other half are crazy lone wolfs. It can be difficult to tell them apart without doing alot of research

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Calibanibal posted:

the issue is that probably half of mass shootings are ops and the other half are crazy lone wolfs. It can be difficult to tell them apart without doing alot of research

Mass shootings are more american than psyops now!!

make sure your research avoids facebook and sticks to reliable places like abovetopsecret and godlikeproductions. MEDIA LITERACY, PEOPLE!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

the CIA does not need to loving orchestrate mass shootings in the country where any lunatic can get a gun and do whatever they like. conspiracies to explain away mass shootings are just people trying to shield themselves from the fact that their neighbors and fellow Americans are absolutely capable of these horrific acts. blaming las vegas on an op is simply hiding from reality.

the police, the cia, the govt in general already act with utter and complete impunity and false flag shootings are completely unnecessary.

indigi posted:

those weren’t mass murders but go off son

this was not referencing mass murders, i was responding to this

indigi posted:

wherein you claimed they need to orchestrate mass shootings to kill a bunch of commies or union organizers when they already murder people right out in the open like when the us marshals gunned down that protestor. they don't need to do it all at once, they can just kill them individually whenever they choose to, and already do so.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we save our psyops for things like trying to get people to watch the olympics or value troops

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
"never trust cops," I tell myself as I rely on an anonymous but 'reliable' law enforcement source from a newspaper that nuked the article once they figured out it was probably complete horseshit.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Calibanibal posted:

I swear to God I saw someone post "cspam doesn't do the false flag thing" recently.

Lol.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

on the titanic, watching lifeboats float away

"guys i think they are not letting us into the engine room because they might be planning on sinking this ship!"

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

one cop tells me its an op and another cop tells me its not an op. my brain explodes like the Scanners guy because im a very intelligent and media literate leftist

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

standing the wreckage of the MOVE bombing

"im really worried about the last shooting that killed 5 people, it might be the government manufacturing consent to use mass violence on people!"

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ikanreed posted:

I swear to God I saw someone post "cspam doesn't do the false flag thing" recently.

Lol.

now take this and run with it, quick, before you even see who it is

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Benagain posted:

"never trust cops," I tell myself as I rely on an anonymous but 'reliable' law enforcement source from a newspaper that nuked the article once they figured out it was probably complete horseshit.

:hmmyes:

There's weird poo poo around most events if you start digging and losing your sense of incredulousness because the world is a weird, inexplicable place.

[Lone wolves doing murdersprees] is where Occam tends to get me, but also the CIA etc have done some really gross poo poo and if there were 1-2 mass casualty events over the years that had the stink of the MIC on them somewhere it wouldn't meaningfully change my world view.

I don't disagree with you, I do not believe these events were state sponsored, and to the extent coverups have been involved, I believe Columbine shows us the playbook for why that is: when law enforcement gets involved during/after a ton of people, especially kids, get killed, then every action they take will be called into question and cops constantly gently caress poo poo up or do dumb poo poo or say racist poo poo over the radio, and also are willing to commit crimes to cover up basically meaningless events like "said the n-word during a mass shooting" which, while lovely, is unlikely to have impacted the material outcome.

However, just because these events are not (likely) some kind of operation, doesn't mean the media narratives around them are at all trustworthy or reliable. They are almost always cop-sympathetic etc, and even when they take a critical view, they do so gingerly and in a way that doesn't cause changes. I mean for fucks sake look at Uvalde which started this thread (or did it? too many shootings lately to say!)

ikanreed posted:

Lol.

did you notice who made that particular post, this is relevant to interpreting its intent, I believe? guessing not, pretty good username/post combo there

also whoever posted that deffo does not read of all of cspam because i know there's at least one thread which does not believe that Epstein killed himself :colbert:

Cabbages and Kings has issued a correction as of 16:33 on Jul 6, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the CIA does not need to loving orchestrate mass shootings in the country where any lunatic can get a gun and do whatever they like. conspiracies to explain away mass shootings are just people trying to shield themselves from the fact that their neighbors and fellow Americans are absolutely capable of these horrific acts. blaming las vegas on an op is simply hiding from reality.

See you're not saying anything that's incorrect, but grouping every mass shooting together and refusing to see anything that contradicts that narrative is just as pigheaded as thinking every single one was conducted by "the CIA"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

this was not referencing mass murders, i was responding to this

wherein you claimed they need to orchestrate mass shootings to kill a bunch of commies or union organizers

in the context of mass shootings, e.g. gunning down a group not individuals. hence the modifier “a bunch.” up your comprehension game my dear child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

the white hand posted:

now take this and run with it, quick, before you even see who it is

did you notice who made that particular post, this is relevant to interpreting its intent, I believe? guessing not, pretty good username/post combo there

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal is and I do not know why I should know.