Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Achmed Jones posted:

lol git submodules are so fuckin bad

i've seen so much bad architecture as a result of how lovely they are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

remember that time git submodules had an RCE?

pepperidge farm remembers

edit: i guess it's more of an ace than an rce, but still a nasty vuln

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
git submodules are indefensibly awful

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

nudgenudgetilt posted:

ok, I'll bite. tell me more about this development environment that uses rcs with unreal engine.

well blueprints are binaries so you kinda have to lock them otherwise other people might gently caress with them too and then it's a whole mess

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

oh sorry no we use cvs with unreal

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

you absolutely dont have to lock binaries and even if you do, you can lock files or directories in github

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

rotor posted:

my last ten or so months have been partly spent creating our current system - migrating away from a bespoke pile of ruby & perl running over CGI that no one understood anymore - with me starting on gently caress-all knowledge of CI or CD

i've... learned a lot, let's say

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

rotor posted:

man this is the worst. whenever i feel lovely my solution is always to take a nap and it mostly works and when I cant do it my poo poo starts to fuckin fall apart.

i can nap just fine (knock on wood) but it think it's the summer. after the sun goes down an hour ish before i go to bed i crank the a/c so everythings cooler. then i hop in bed and warm everything up, but the a/c doesnt kick back on because its already cooler, so im in this weird phase of managing the duvet coverage until i get warmly comfy without being too hot or too cold and sometimes the pillow then gets too hot, etc

bump_fn posted:

watch wimbledon instead of working

we have been blessed with rafa/kyrgios friday. major championship tennis loving rules

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i worked for a company that used subversion around i think 2009. it was ok. i definitely broke things a few times though

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

my last ten or so months have been partly spent creating our current system, with me starting on gently caress-all knowledge of CI or CD

i've... learned a lot, let's say

my second programming job was as a build engineer and I actually liked it a lot except for the part that you were the end of the chain and lateness accumulates so every issue that lands at your feet is already weeks overdue and is a hair-on-fire emergency.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

graph posted:

we have been blessed with rafa/kyrgios friday. major championship tennis loving rules

a jabeur/halep final would kick loving rear end too

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

rotor posted:

my second programming job was as a build engineer and I actually liked it a lot except for the part that you were the end of the chain and lateness accumulates so every issue that lands at your feet is already weeks overdue and is a hair-on-fire emergency.

i like it more than actually working production code, tbh, tho i'll be damned if i know why

i go back and forth from build system stuff to production code in my regular day-to-day and it is not so easy to switch gears lol

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 6, 2022

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

graph posted:

a jabeur/halep final

graph posted:

rafa/kyrgios friday

Ok so Jabeur is being obsoleted in favor of Rafa, so @ me on Halep when it completes and posts results to Kyrgios

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Achmed Jones posted:

lol git submodules are so fuckin bad

Lady Radia posted:

git submodules are indefensibly awful

rotor posted:

Ciaphas posted:

oh man submodules suck and i hate having to use them sob

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i use the git cli because i am a 1337 hax0r

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I use Fork because I’m not looking to make any more mistakes than I already do

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Truman Peyote posted:

i use the git cli because i am a 1337 hax0r

:hmmyes: this is the way

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I prefer the clit gi over the git cli

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

it just doesn't feel like sharing header files between two+ repositories and keeping said repositories in sync with each other should be so goddamn fiddly and fickle

note to self: see how or if other vc systems solve this problem - not that we can change platforms but maybe i'll learn some better strategy that doesn't require shifting to full monorepo

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 6, 2022

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

apparently the WoW guild that hdad founded Back In The Day is still going
and whenever he renews his subscription he immediately gets an invite

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

only 1.5 more hours of work and then i'm off again until the 12th

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i returned to work two weeks ago after months off for surgery and part of the arrangement for my physical recuperation is that i work 20-30 hrs/week remotely (this is an institution run by olds and working remotely is NOT ALLOWED for most people). so far i've put in about 1.5 hours of time into looking at work stuff, including responding to emails. today i watered the tomato and basil plants and went to the store to get some snacks. i can probably pull this off for the rest of the week but i should start acting busy on monday. going back to work is hard

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Just use lazygit for like 95% of all tasks you're generally going to need to do, with the occasional dip into the CLI when things get fucky.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
all the git guis i've used have been horrendous. the best ones are exactly the same as the cli except I have to take my hands off the keyboard to click on a button instead of just typing, and i've got a longstanding grudge with using the analog input device to enter in binary data

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Corla Plankun posted:

all the git guis i've used have been horrendous. the best ones are exactly the same as the cli except I have to take my hands off the keyboard to click on a button instead of just typing, and i've got a longstanding grudge with using the analog input device to enter in binary data

mouse is binary. click or no click

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Corla Plankun posted:

yeah I had that issue too. try Fork, much easier to see what’s in queue, allows for block discarding per file, and makes branching and merging easy as

gitkraken was good until they made it a subscription service, and it’s still good if you can convince ur org to pay for it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Asleep Style posted:

mouse is binary. click or no click

is it though? or is that just an artifact of software that makes you think its binary?

https://www.digikey.com/en/articles/how-to-implement-hardware-debounce-for-switches-and-relays

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
cjs: jeuss christ i am exhausted

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

rotor posted:

is it though? or is that just an artifact of software that makes you think its binary?

https://www.digikey.com/en/articles/how-to-implement-hardware-debounce-for-switches-and-relays

it is at the human-computer interface. we can talk about keyboard debounce too if you want

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Asleep Style posted:

it is at the human-computer interface

yes, because we insist on a binary state in software.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Corla Plankun posted:

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Just use lazygit for like 95% of all tasks you're generally going to need to do, with the occasional dip into the CLI when things get fucky.

give this a try if you haven’t, I started using it a month ago and it’s been a good upgrade from the cli

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

rotor posted:

yes, because we insist on a binary state in software.

look, I also hate the mouse and was just trying to take the piss. it's very rude to throw it back in my face like this

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
half a mouse click

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

c kebab s: 2 and a half hours in line for mustafas kebab, but hot drat it was the best drat kebab i ever had

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
more like git bad

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

c life s: I dunno, man. I’m tired.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

prefect posted:

sometimes i unironically miss clearcase

this was a few pages back but i have to use clearcase at work because ~the contract~ says so and oh my lord is it bad. git is proof that technology becomes better over time

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

lord fifth posted:

this was a few pages back but i have to use clearcase at work because ~the contract~ says so and oh my lord is it bad. git is proof that technology becomes better over time

one of my highlights at lastjob was getting the poor fuckers off clearcase and onto git

... actually, hell, that was a highlight at currentjob too, except it was P4 instead of clearcase

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Ciaphas posted:

one of my highlights at lastjob was getting the poor fuckers off clearcase and onto git

... actually, hell, that was a highlight at currentjob too, except it was P4 instead of clearcase

Perforce? ughhhhhhhhhhh, I still have nightmares of the time I realized it didn't branch by reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

saving all the history of every stream was... fun