Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's like sculpting, you have to look at the pile of poo poo and take away everything that isn't poo poo.

I just barely had anything left after...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Kitchen was 100% sanded today, finally. Went over it with a fine tooth comb and found all the areas that needed one final coat of touch up mud, did that with blue chalk tinted mud so I can find it all, called it a night. My shoulders are wrecked. I guess in the morning I'll sand the touch-up spots and prime it!

Next room needs to go even faster. I gotta get the gently caress out of here.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

Kitchen was 100% sanded today, finally. Went over it with a fine tooth comb and found all the areas that needed one final coat of touch up mud, did that with blue chalk tinted mud so I can find it all, called it a night. My shoulders are wrecked. I guess in the morning I'll sand the touch-up spots and prime it!

Next room needs to go even faster. I gotta get the gently caress out of here.

You gotta get that albatross on the market asap before the market starts turning man.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I know, I'm really worried and have been for a few weeks.

If it does sell lower than I want I'll have to console myself with the fact that it would have sold for 5 figures less last summer.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
It's close enough that you can list it and keep working on it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

:jerkbag:

Please keep your entirely unwanted, repeated, and unasked for advise and "questions" on IRC where I will continue to ignore it. This is as useful as repeatedly asking your kids why they are single.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Why are you still single?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

daslog posted:

It's close enough that you can list it and keep working on it.

As someone that had a hard date limit for listing and absolutely was killing themselves doing renovations and two jobs and moving for 2 straight months. Dear loving god no never goddamn do this. I still don't know how I made it through June and July in 2020 and didn't end up in the hospital

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

So the next part of the kitchen mudding required me to take the kitchen sink out, and I didn't want the new bathroom sink getting hosed up mixing mud in it. Which meant I needed to finally bother to hook up the basement slop sink. So I redid all the DWV piping that was done 11 years ago and patched into since then, and then finished the hot and cold lines to the sink that I stubbed out a year or two ago when I redid the washer and dryer hookups:

You'll probably notice that the front fitting into the faucet itself is not soldered as nicely as the rear one. This was very annoying to me because I'm super OCD about my sweat soldering but I just couldn't get it to come out as nicely. They're dual thread+sweat fittings and I got the rear one to fill beautifully with solder with a nice fillet but the front one just wouldn't fill so eventually I settled for function over form.

Then finally got it all mudded, sanded, mudded, sanded, primed, and painted.

The whole first floor is now done, walls wise. All it needs is one floor, trim, shove the cabinets back in place, screw them in, and put in countertop.

Oh, I taped most of the basement stairwell drywall with leftover mud from the last batch I mixed up for the kitchen. Another two coats on that and it'll be ready for paint. It's just utility space so I'm not going to bother going for a perfect finish or anything.

And finally finished mudding and sanding this nightmare of a chamfered corner going up against the stair stringer:

The little tiny vertical face took at least half an hour to "sand" because I had to carefully plane it down with my 1.5" wide stainless putty knife, as none of my sanding tools fit in that space well. Note to future self: gently caress you, don't even think about doing this again.

Also things finally came to a head with the leaking water main that services my place and my neighbors place, so we had that fixed Wednesday. It was money I didn't want to spend but it's done now. This line was buried in 1947 and back then there were no backfill standards so they filled it in with the same native soil and fieldstone that came out, and it shows.

Since then I've been mostly prepping the master bedroom and upstairs hallway for final mud. I hope to have them ready for paint shortly.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's super bonkers to me that you've spent over a decade living in a project house, and as soon as it's done you're gonna sell it and start over again :psyduck:

Sounds like you made some serious progress lately though! Nice work. I feel you on that soldering job; sometimes it just doesn't want to behave.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It was good practice and it taught me a lot, and I'm very likely to profit at least 150k on it too. I'm alright with that.

It also taught me what I actually want to build, which honestly is not what I built this time, and where I want to build it, which is also not where I built it this time. Live and learn. I really wish I'd taken the opportunity to see the country before I bought this house because I'd probably be living in a newly built house in Washington ten years ago already by now if I had.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

I'm very likely to profit at least 150k on it too.

What's your profit per hour of labor?

don't do the calculations

Looks great as always. I remember how bad it was the first time I came out there. It's seriously impressive how far you've dragged that house.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

It was good practice and it taught me a lot, and I'm very likely to profit at least 150k on it too. I'm alright with that.

It also taught me what I actually want to build, which honestly is not what I built this time, and where I want to build it, which is also not where I built it this time. Live and learn. I really wish I'd taken the opportunity to see the country before I bought this house because I'd probably be living in a newly built house in Washington ten years ago already by now if I had.

If it helps, it's also taught me a lot. :)

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the next house!

On one hand it seems like a bummer that you don't get to enjoy this house being done, but it seems like the enjoyment now is moving on, and doing it right from the beginning instead of working around years of POs and neglect. I've also learned a bunch and been encouraged by the "gently caress it, I guess I'm learning X now".

You should set up a few go pros for the next house build!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

sharkytm posted:

What's your profit per hour of labor?

don't do the calculations

Looks great as always. I remember how bad it was the first time I came out there. It's seriously impressive how far you've dragged that house.

I honestly do not want to know.

A smaller house down the block from me is currently listed for 380k without central air though, so unless I totally screw the pooch on this, I might have even been underestimating... We'll see.

As soon as it's considered habitable (all rooms mudded, painted, floored, trimmed, kitchen slapped in, stair railing installed) I am actually listing it, then might knock out a few minor things after that based on what my realtor says. I just don't want it on market with stuff missing that would result in banks being unwilling to mortgage it, ya know?

Feel free to come on by and really see the place if you happen to be in the area, BTW. The yard is also... Less of a junkyard.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Alright, mega update again.

The only remaining structural issue is some posts in the basement that hold up the massive cross beams that support all the joists. Everything is rough sawn (and likely from 1879, when the house was built) except these posts, which are even older - they're hand adzed from tree trunks and show lots of signs of being salvaged from something else to build this. I would guess 1830s or even earlier based on their condition and the fact that they have slots and holes in them from mortise and tenon joinery with wood pegs instead of any kind of nail.

Anyways. They have so many powderpost boring beetle holes in them in places that it looks like I got the shotgun out. I KNOW that's going to fail under any competent home inspectors gaze, so guess what, it's time to put lally columns in. Easy right?

Nah. Home Depot sells 4in ones but not post caps that meet my standards, so it's time to make something out of $9 of offcuts from my local steel shop and two feet of leftover 6x½ hot roll plate:

That'll do.

I haven't installed the lally columns yet though so moving on...

I hung the first kitchen cabinet because it was in my way. Now it's not in my way and I can put things in it.

Measured the remaining areas that need flooring and figured out exactly how much more plywood I needed. Went and got it.

Figured out how much insulation the basement ceiling needs. Went and got it.

Continued mudding the master bedroom one layer at a time. The upstairs hall and basement stairwell too.

Sanded forever.

Primed the master bedroom, upstairs hall, and basement stairwell.

Painted the upstairs hall

Painted the master bedroom and finally pulled the masking tape and paper off the stained oak collar tie beams

Finished painting the one nightmare corner remaining in the living room ceiling by the stairs

Painted the basement stairwell

And finally installed the custom indirect lighting I got 5 or 6 years ago for the master bedroom. I had already bought all the supplies and I think it'll really make it look nicer than the crappy overhead lamp so figured I'd blow an hour on that.

I'm so tired. I just finished the first pass of cleaning the construction debris off the master bedroom floor, need to scrape a few clods of drywall mud and paint off, vacuum it again, and I can install the second layer of subflooring and get ready to glue down some bamboo yet again.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That lighting looks really slick!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Good work, man. I could feel all the effort through the screen.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
That master bedroom looks amazing, wow!

The house will amaze anyone that looks at it... if only they knew. :D

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Those tie beams are pretty rad. Good work on putting up a cabinet.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Holy poo poo

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You ain't seen poo poo yet.

Before: (pics in this post and the next few during gable wall demo and rebuild) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3478212&pagenumber=21&perpage=40&userid=0#post452227779

During (see previous posts on this page and maybe the last one)

Second layer of subflooring down:

Flooring down:

And it's almost my standard feral bedtime of 6-8am now so I guess that's it for tonight/today/this 24 hour period in whatever timezone I currently seem to be awake in.

I am very sore. Something about glue-down flooring (probably the million squats since I'm working on the floor and cutting on the floor in the next room over, but don't want to crawl in between the two to avoid getting glue on my everything) really kicks the poo poo out of me.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I keep getting the urge to pick up a place that needs some work since I know I'm going to want to gut the kitchen anyway, and watching your stuff reminds me why that's a terrible idea given how much time I have to spend at work. Great to see the place coming together, whoever buys it off you is going to be getting a hell of a house!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

DON'T DO IT

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm working to channel that self-destructive impulse into something in the way of a beater car instead. At least I don't have to try to live in it! :v:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm working to channel that self-destructive impulse into something in the way of a beater car instead. At least I don't have to try to live in it! :v:

Buy a boat instead. Then live on it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I was going to say buy an old RV has both of these things covered and then I had a moment that involved far too much self awareness.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Heh. Hopefully not foreshadowing of the next project.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kastein posted:

I hung the first kitchen cabinet because it was in my way. Now it's not in my way and I can put things in it.

Something about this cabinet flush against the wall is bothering me. Does the cabinet door open against the window there? Will it still fit once you add trim around the window cutout?

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
The door hinges up

:classiclol:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Something about this cabinet flush against the wall is bothering me. Does the cabinet door open against the window there? Will it still fit once you add trim around the window cutout?

It does, and it'll still open far enough, honestly I rarely open it further than 60 degrees or so anyways. There will be a counter under the cabinet as well as under the window it opens against, so non giants will be reaching anyways. I fully expect the next owner to pull all these cabinets out and replace them within a year of buying the place. I wasn't about to spend much time making filler plates and stuff.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

tinned owl posted:

The door hinges up

:classiclol:

I love it. Cause my girlfriend isn't tall enough to reach up and close it from full open. Oh that would be fun.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

I was going to say buy an old RV has both of these things covered and then I had a moment that involved far too much self awareness.

You laugh. I kind of need to buy an RV so we can remodel certain parts of the house. Not that I can afford to do any of these things. It's not like I have time off to travel and use the RV as, well, an RV afterward, either! Bonus!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kastein posted:

It does, and it'll still open far enough, honestly I rarely open it further than 60 degrees or so anyways. There will be a counter under the cabinet as well as under the window it opens against, so non giants will be reaching anyways. I fully expect the next owner to pull all these cabinets out and replace them within a year of buying the place. I wasn't about to spend much time making filler plates and stuff.

Fair enough! The next owner really ought to have at least one thing they can shake their fist at PO about, and given how insanely thorough you've been on everything else, this is a pretty drat minor quibble.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Fair enough! The next owner really ought to have at least one thing they can shake their fist at PO about, and given how insanely thorough you've been on everything else, this is a pretty drat minor quibble.

You also don't have to put trim around the window opening if you don't want to.

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

You also don't have to put trim around the window opening if you don't want to.
Too bad for Ken this isn't something that it seems he would let slide based on his standards of quality.

I am continually impressed by how fast you're knocking this out when you're basically at this on your own. I hope your remaining punch list items don't multiply so you can get this out on the market ASAP.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

pr0craztinazn posted:

Too bad for Ken this isn't something that it seems he would let slide based on his standards of quality
A caseless window isn't a low standard thing, it's a different look. Might look out of place if the other windows in the room are cased though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah I categorically refuse to do more drywall work for caseless windows.

Today I've mostly been prepping for the stair railing. Trying to keep within the opposing constraints of baluster stock length and residential code handrail minimum height has been an experience. I think I've used my tape measure more today than I have in the last year and trigonometry more today than I have since I graduated college. Go figure, stair railings require more trig than designing flying cars or laser cutters.

At least I think I'm mostly done with it, I'll just need to figure a way to hold a 14 foot long railing in the correct place while I get the first 2-3 balusters in place under it, then cut the ends to shape as well as cutting the starting easing and ending return to the correct tangent lines without making any of it too short. A sixteenth of an inch off any of this in the wrong spot means it's a $150 firewood log.

:shepspends:

There's a reason most people leave this to the pros and I'm really kind of regretting tackling it at all, but it's pretty hard to get a mortgage without home insurance and it's pretty hard to get home insurance without a railing on the open side of the stairs, so... Here we go.

I finally bought a tool I should have forever ago, a digital angle finder, so hopefully I'll get this all right on the first shot. My math says the railing is 41.24° from level but I can't measure the length or angle I'll need for the starting easing nor how to make the bottom Newell post extension I need until the railing is in place.

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 10, 2022

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

kastein posted:

At least I think I'm mostly done with it, I'll just need to figure a way to hold a 14 foot long railing in the correct place while I get the first 2-3 balusters in place under it, then cut the ends to shape as well as cutting the starting easing and ending return to the correct tangent lines without making any of it too short. A sixteenth of an inch off any of this in the wrong spot means it's a $150 firewood log.

I've done some preposterous stuff with suspended ratchet straps to do similar things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I have nothing left to ratchet strap things to because I covered it all in drywall and mud and paint. That was my first thought :lol: