Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, it's phenomenal art and stuff like Saitama kicking the portal away or changing the angle, all one-armed, is fun.... but despite those it largely feels it has left behind the charm of the story in favor of big spectacle, and I'm still not happy we lost the table sitdown (for now at least).

Maybe I've just got unfair expectations because the Monster Assocation Arc was taking so long that I ended up reading the entire Webcomic, so now I know what was "supposed" to happen.

Edit: This isn't the manga thread! It isn't the manga thread at all! :doh:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They're not the same thing anymore, with that said I just want more of the webcomic. It was fun and the past few chapters had been great and it's been so long.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

punting the Portal away is a good gag though

A brief moment of OPM comedy mired in a sea of fireworks that have been popping off for far too long.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Elentor posted:

They're not the same thing anymore, with that said I just want more of the webcomic. It was fun and the past few chapters had been great and it's been so long.

yeah, I'd like a resolution to the Hero Association Naming Victims arc at least

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

tbp posted:

Pretty disappointed and it's hard for me to tell how much of that is due to my unfair expectations

Not to dismiss people's feelings towards art, but I really think expectations are key here.

We saw how epic things were with the Boros arc. That was chapters 29 to 37 of the manga. Everything since then, up to chapter 167 has been the next major arc. No matter how much anyone wanted the manga to align to the webcomic, there was no way this wasn't going to end in an spectacle that puts Boros to shame.

It's fine if the spectacle isn't people's thing, but that is what the manga is: the webcomic but with everything amped up to 1000. Waiting every two weeks for a new manga chapter, just to come on here and complain that it doesn't live up to your expectations of the webcomic just dosent seem fair, to me.

And, look, if this thread was just for appreciation of the webcomic, it would be fine. But this is the only place to discuss the manga (which many of us love) in the context of knowing (and also loving) the webcomic.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bucswabe posted:

We saw how epic things were with the Boros arc. That was chapters 29 to 37 of the manga. Everything since then, up to chapter 167 has been the next major arc. No matter how much anyone wanted the manga to align to the webcomic, there was no way this wasn't going to end in an spectacle that puts Boros to shame.

Hot take: the current fight is worse at being a spectacle than the Boros fight.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

That's a fair criticism of the manga, if thats what you think. I wasn't around when the Boros fight was first being shown in the manga, and experienced that for the first time with the anime.

But from what I've seen, the manga community largely considers the last couple chapters to be some of the highest peaks of the series so far. And I agree. So it's strange to see so much hostility in this thread.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This redraw is cringe, I'm moving on to watching the RWBY anime

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bucswabe posted:

Not to dismiss people's feelings towards art

Waiting every two weeks for a new manga chapter, just to come on here and complain that it doesn't live up to your expectations of the webcomic just dosent seem fair, to me.

But this is the only place to discuss the manga (which many of us love) in the context of knowing (and also loving) the webcomic.

A) Your entire post is dismissing people.

B) not being fair to whom? I'm waiting way more than that for the webcomic. If it doesn't live to my expectations I'll also post about it, because

C) you don't get to decide what the thread is about. No one here is judging people enjoying the manga but you're weirdly gatekeeping people who dont. People are expressing their disappointment and if you don't want to read that tough luck, or use the block feature lol

Elentor fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 7, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Elentor posted:

B) not being fair to whom? I'm waiting way more than that for the webcomic. If it doesn't live to my expectations I'll also post about it, because

C) you don't get to decide what the thread is about. No one here is judging people enjoying the manga. People are expressing their disappointment and if you don't want to read that tough luck, or use the block feature lol

Watching this thread has just given the impression that there's nothing the manga could do that would satisfy it at this point.

If you dislike a manga for specific decisions, then it's useful to discuss those decisions and what could have been done differently. But when a manga actually reverses to show the opposite decision, and the complaints continue without even adjusting to note how the new decision changes the tone, then complaining isn't interesting. There's no consideration of what the manga does right. Just a conviction that any decision the manga makes is wrong, even if it means doing an abrupt 180 on previous complaints.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Elentor posted:

C) you don't get to decide what the thread is about. No one here is judging people enjoying the manga but you're weirdly gatekeeping people who dont. People are expressing their disappointment and if you don't want to read that tough luck, or use the block feature lol

I'm honestly not trying to gatekeep any conversation. It often feels like I'm in the slim minority of this threads' opinions.

It just seems to me that there is a fundamental refusal of many people to accept that the manga isn't meant to be the same as the webcomic. And far too many of the critisms that dominate this thread ultimately boil down to the fact that they don't like the manga as much as the webcomic. Which is totally fine! But it absolutely smuthers any discussion of things people like in the manga.

And yes, there is a manga thread, but we can't have story based conversations based on things we know about the webcomic.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The thread was tame until they start posting about posters. There's not much to discuss about the webcomic because there hasn't been one and as I said in my last post before they went on about how we're being unfair or some poo poo, I'd just like for it to resume.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Like in this last manga chapter we got an incredible Saitama character moment, with Saitama not feeling any excitement despite getting the fight he always wanted. And believing he can save Genos, and thats why he has to keep the core in his firm grip for the rest of the fight...

It even sets up the next webcomic arc perfectly...

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Elentor posted:

The thread was tame until they start posting about posters. There's not much to discuss about the webcomic because there hasn't been one and as I said in my last post before they went on about how we're being unfair or some poo poo, I'd just like for it to resume.

Couldn't agree more. I'm dying for a new webcomic chapter. It would such a great surprise.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

YggdrasilTM posted:

Eh, what did you expect? Serious punch divided in half the whole earth atmosphere, so of course serious table flip is something of continental size.

it's less the scale and more of this:

mabels big day posted:

Did the table flip destroy the entire moon they were on? What ground was there even to fall on?

I think what made the table flip work for me in the webcomic is there's quite a bit of fighting within the rubble in the air, and iirc the scene of garou trying to consider what he needs to defeat Saitama happens as he jumps around. Which makes his crash into the ground hit a lot harder as it feels like a natural way for Garou to realize that Saitama truly is unfair.

Like I have a hard time believing cosmic god garou is getting his directions messed up from some planetary rubble lol. The table flip needed to happen before this.

Although I read the chapter again with the translation and I feel a little better about it. If the manga ends soon like people are theorizing from tweets, then this arc being changed so much will make a lot of sense.

chiasaur11 posted:

Watching this thread has just given the impression that there's nothing the manga could do that would satisfy it at this point.

If you dislike a manga for specific decisions, then it's useful to discuss those decisions and what could have been done differently. But when a manga actually reverses to show the opposite decision, and the complaints continue without even adjusting to note how the new decision changes the tone, then complaining isn't interesting. There's no consideration of what the manga does right. Just a conviction that any decision the manga makes is wrong, even if it means doing an abrupt 180 on previous complaints.

That's a pretty negative viewpoint of this thread. Sure it's being critical of the manga, but I think there's been really good discussion of why people feel the manga is lesser for getting some of the details of the arc wrong. Also I think the initial gut reaction of not getting a table flip and seeing the kitchen table was the cause for a lot of people to post negatively. Then as people processed, it felt like, hey maybe this direction could work out because a lot of the previous complaints of the arc were about the softening of Garou. So them sitting down to talk felt like a good subversion of shounen tropes, which is kinda the whole point of the comic!

Then the authors took a 180 and we were back to the initial complaints that they weakened Garou's villiany and had to literally shove a god in him to make it work

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Also keeping any discussion of the differences between webcomic/manga to this thread is extremely good and nobody in this thread wants to poo poo on the manga-only readers or anyone's enjoyment of the manga. I don't think "the manga is obviously different" is a good defense of the manga, or any adaptation in general, when the story is actively diminished by the changes. I think I had some post ITT where I compared it to the new Dune movie, and my feelings on that adaptation diminishing the story, despite how incredible it looks.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Basically the manga feels like it is going some anime original ending route like FMA. Where ya some people like the original FMA more than FMA:brotherhood but I'm sure most manga readers would've wanted FMA:B instead at the time.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
For me it's not that it's going for more spectacle than the webcomic, it's that after some point, there's so much of it that you get desensitized.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Scallop Eyes posted:

For me it's not that it's going for more spectacle than the webcomic, it's that after some point, there's so much of it that you get desensitized.

Yeah that too. It's like that video of all the san diego fireworks going off at once and its just loud blinding light.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The manga version is still pretty good as far as manga goes but it's demonstrably less tightly-plotted than the webcomic. We even see this demonstrated in real time everytime there's yet another redraw that changes how the plot plays out. ONE has an artist who is willing to indulge him in excesses he probably didn't want to bother with when he was the person who had to draw them. Hell, a bunch of his author's notes for MP100 basically amount to "I wish someone else was drawing this for me lol." Meanwhile Murata's a perfectionist who will absolutely go back and redo something if he or ONE decide to revise something they've already put out. The seemingly-endless pursuit of perfection has made an enemy of good and now we have a product that feels diminished for it.

This is not to say the manga version is bad manga, there's much worse out there and the art's phenomenal. It's still, as I said, pretty good! That's probably why fans of the manga feel so offended that people who read the webcomic are criticizing it. Meanwhile, webcomic fans just prefer the version of the story that was, frankly, better written. And we'd like more of it. There hasn't been a webcomic update in a long, long time. Presumably, ONE's been busy.

I honestly don't really appreciate webcomic fans constantly getting sniped at with snide remarks everytime there's an impressive color splash page. I'm just trying to enjoy both versions on their own merits, and I don't agree I'm being unfair or that "nothing could please me" just because I prefer another version more.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah at this point I feel like every single decision the manga made for itself was the wrong one, and it's just kind of boring to read. Wow, pretty art. There are other stories with pretty art I could be reading that have good stories or more meaningful action scenes. So I do.

There's really no loving reason to say that though because....what, am I going to poo poo on the people that *are* liking it? I'm glad they like it, people liking things is cool and good. At this point though the manga is something I check up on once or twice a year to see if it's done anything interesting [I doubt he'll finish the web comic before the manga, so if the story is going to have any sort of conclusion I imagine it'll hit the manga first], then disappear into the ether again. It's just not worth more effort. Christ I'm more excited for a new Gash Bell to drop at this point. At least I have no idea where that crazy bullshit is going.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Basically this. Boros vs Saitama in the manga was a fantastic re-draw to the webcomic fight because like the Sea King before it and other moments afterwards it was a fusion of ONE's original story and panelling with Murata's art and just enough extra glitter and crunch to improve upon some aspects in my book. But maybe the addition of the Moon Kick was the writing on the wall for this fight because I can't help but notice that Garou v Saitama is trying to one-up that moment in the worst way possible. It's kind of ludicrous that we're here next to Jupiter with Garou being karate silver surfer flying through portals yet he somehow lost track of orientation during this moon destroying table flip. It isn't really tugging at the heart strings that Genos is in cyborg death limbo because by this point I'm aware that ONE probably hates that character and keeps him around to be humiliated. Blast and his cadre of potentially multiversal guardians shouldn't even be here nor should GOD be making Garou his emissary like he's Galactis.

Even taken on it's own there just so much crammed into this fight that feels like bloat that I honestly would have been happier if this was resolved with the sitdown at the table and Saitama telling Garou off. I also don't like the idea that the guy in a series called "One Punch Man" is apparently actually going as all out as one can do one-handed. And this fight is still happening. I never needed Garou to become a nuclear entity who could actually destroy the world and fight on par with Saitama, I just liked that somewhat scrappy fight junkie who really didn't understand his own motives and goals beyond the television script he'd written in his delusional mind. Even before this I was rolling my eyes at him punching the earth so hard it was raising lost continents on the opposite side of the planet.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

One thing I liked about the garou fight is that even in the webcomic Boros felt like a stronger and more existential threat to humanity than Garou did. Garou is extremely adept at hand to hand martial arts and was able to keep up with Saitama to an extent, but he could never blast away planets or whatever like Boros was implied to be able to do. It was a different kind of fight instead of an exact escalation of power levels

I honestly never had the impression that any of the Monster Association were *stronger* than Boros.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

mabels big day posted:

One thing I liked about the garou fight is that even in the webcomic Boros felt like a stronger and more existential threat to humanity than Garou did. Garou is extremely adept at hand to hand martial arts and was able to keep up with Saitama to an extent, but he could never blast away planets or whatever like Boros was implied to be able to do. It was a different kind of fight instead of an exact escalation of power levels

I honestly never had the impression that any of the Monster Association were *stronger* than Boros.

But do you think that the meteor was stronger than Vaccine Man?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

But do you think that the meteor was stronger than Vaccine Man?

No

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

My biggest complaint is that the arc is just dragging stuff out to long, It needs more compression

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

mabels big day posted:

Did the table flip destroy the entire moon they were on? What ground was there even to fall on?

I think what made the table flip work for me in the webcomic is there's quite a bit of fighting within the rubble in the air, and iirc the scene of garou trying to consider what he needs to defeat Saitama happens as he jumps around. Which makes his crash into the ground hit a lot harder as it feels like a natural way for Garou to realize that Saitama truly is unfair.

Like I have a hard time believing cosmic god garou is getting his directions messed up from some planetary rubble lol. The table flip needed to happen before this.

I think the idea here was that Saitama was just demonstrating that he can do the teleport around and attack from different places too

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Honestly the psychic fight that had an entire chunk of the Earth neatly cut off should have been the indicator that the final fight happening later on would be even more bombastic.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

My biggest complaint is that the arc is just dragging stuff out to long, It needs more compression

Hard agree. There was no need for the psychorochi/centipede/ENW fights. The spectacle stuff is great when it's connected to the character moments. E.g. Webcomic serious table flip is great because it conveys the hopelessness of Garou's situation at the same time as being a crazy visual. Manga Psychos is just some lady that came out of nowhere that we barely know anything about. She's just there to give Tatsumaki something to do. That's almost ok but then she hangs around for ages. That means all those chapters and all that time is spent in an emotional stasis, waiting for something to happen that we actually care about. No sense of stakes.

chiasaur11 posted:

I think that's probably true. For what it's worth though, I personally would have enjoyed the current bit with Garou a lot more if it felt more special and I think that could be achieved purely by removing fat. As is, after all the crazily scaled poo poo already, I'm just bored of it.

What frustrates me ultimately is the fact that this manga was tightly paced. It used to be judicious in the use of spectacle to really highlight particular moments. It lost its way, and I think lamenting that publicly has some value even if that might get tedious for those that still really like it.

A jargogle fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 7, 2022

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i just reread the manga for fun and its actually insanely epic as gently caress

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

A jargogle posted:

I think that's probably true. For what it's worth though, I personally would have enjoyed the current bit with Garou a lot more if it felt more special and I think that could be achieved purely by removing fat. As is, after all the crazily scaled poo poo already, I'm just bored of it.

What frustrates me ultimately is the fact that this manga was tightly paced. It used to be judicious in the use of spectacle to really highlight particular moments. It lost its way, and I think lamenting that publicly has some value even if that might get tedious for those that still really like it.

I remember the manga going sour around the tournament arc with Suiryu, which had some real highlights but was pretty sloppily paced. Iirc, the talk at the time was "yeah this ain't great but its gearing up for the monster association which will be fire" and now we're at the end of the monster association arc and it still ain't great.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
i think we'd be greatly satisfied if it wasn't all so bloated. Unironically this arc should've ended like seven years ago.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MorningMoon posted:

i think we'd be greatly satisfied if it wasn't all so bloated. Unironically this arc should've ended like seven years ago.

Jesus Christ I checked the dates and yeah. 76% of the manga has been the Garou arc.

In contrast the full arc took 48% of the webcomic by the time it ended in Chapter 96. A lot, but not like this.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 7, 2022

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
yeah the monster association arc legit began in late 2016

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I was 100% on board with the monster association raid up until we got the 3rd redraw of the Child Emperor fight. By then things had escalated into absurdity and I think some retroactive decisions based on developments in the web comic started to really sour the writing. But I stand by the idea that the Demon class expansions were overall fantastic and even some of the introductions for the dragon class combatants.

The manga was still doing things right but it's also feels apparent that there isn't a strong direction to cling to since we've deviated so far from the original. I think what most people wanted was just Saitama to no-sell Garou and be done with it. The fatigue is real.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah for me the manga kept undermining itself by attempting to course correct back to the webcomic.

At this rate im going to be genuinely disappointed if they also do the nose pick.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Yeah from the webcomic Saitama just wanted to stop garou because he was making a mess and being really loud, plus his friends mentioned garou to him, whereas manga garou is an evil monster in his eyes it looks like.

Plus I'm sad we don't get the funny fakeout gag with Saitama trying to fight garou and the heroes keep getting in the way

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I mean, this garou did probably lethally irradiated some people, including kids

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
You can probably recover from lethal radiation poisoning in the OPM verse with super science, sheer grit, or a tight enough tank top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like the universes where radiation is the ultimate gently caress you to magic powers, like Hunter x Hunter.