Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

hbag posted:

i don't

there's this th white quote from once and future king that has stuck with me my entire life and has really helped me out in some bad places.

quote:

“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something. That's the only thing that never fails. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honour trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for it then — to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting. Learning is the only thing for you. Look what a lot of things there are to learn.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
again with the epic snype

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

oh I should read that book

matti
Mar 31, 2019

lord fifth posted:

oh yeah you're british lol good luck

rough chuckle

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Pollyanna posted:

oh I should read that book

it's not all like that, but it's a really good book

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pollyanna posted:

cjs: still sick with covid. new fun for today is an even sore-er throat. still have a fever sans medicine. still sleepy.

wondering if I should call in sick today too or try and fight it and wfh. the puritan guilt is strong in me.

you should go in to the office today op

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fart simpson posted:

matti
Mar 31, 2019

hbag did you not get epically drunk just few days ago?

the feel-good gunk in your brain may not just have recharged yet, dont worry about it

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

it's all the time
it's every time i come to this loving job i know nothing and i get nothing done and i bleed my dad dry
he's asking the bare loving minimum and i can't even manage that

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

matti posted:

hbag did you not get epically drunk just few days ago?

the feel-good gunk in your brain may not just have recharged yet, dont worry about it

that's a good point. this is nothing like the way hbag usually posts.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

hbag posted:

it's all the time
it's every time i come to this loving job i know nothing and i get nothing done and i bleed my dad dry
everyone at your level of experience is at least this bad and usually much worse

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

fart simpson posted:

I don’t think the suits are in town so it wouldn’t accomplish much

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

hbag posted:

it's all the time

This has a name and it’s called imposter syndrome. Everyone goes through it and sometimes it never really leaves you, even experienced hands that are starting a new job. This probably doesn’t sound like good advice, and you’re not particularly good at taking advice anyway, but just keep at it and you’ll push through eventually. It will get easier.

The only tangible suggestion i can give you is to not be afraid to ask for help even if you’re terrified that your peers are going to point at you like in They Live and shriek that you don’t belong here (that won’t happen).

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t think the suits are in town so it wouldn’t accomplish much

this is really short sighted thinking. the suits don't care if they have to go into quarantine, they care if the ppl who do the work have to.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

asking for help in a dev shop often goes well because there’s nothing most nerds like more than flexing about a thing they know

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

but i HAVE asked for help
several times
it's been explained to me
several times

i can still just do nothing but stare at the poo poo they're giving me as an example and fail to figure any of it out
they explain it and none of it loving stays in my head it's like they aren't even saying words

hbag fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 7, 2022

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

jesus WEP posted:

asking for help in a dev shop often goes well because there’s nothing most nerds like more than flexing about a thing they know

the only thing they like better is flexing about a thing they don't know.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Stringent posted:

the only thing they like better is flexing about a thing they don't know.

hell yeah bro

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

hbag posted:

but i HAVE asked for help
several times
it's been explained to me
several times

i can still just do nothing but stare at the poo poo they're giving me as an example and fail to figure any of it out
they explain it and bone of it loving stays in my head it's like they aren't even saying words

pair programming usually works this kind of thing out in a week or two.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Maybe they’re not explaining it well enough. Try to get them to lower the technical level first. It should be a back and forth, not you listening quietly and just not getting it.

If that still doesn’t work, then get someone to pair with you. It’s exhausting but it’s gold for junior devs to learn from hearing and seeing.

As a last resort ask your dad for a task that’s more in your range and that you’re not quite ready for this serializer shenanigan

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i feel like i need medical help

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Stringent posted:

this is really short sighted thinking. the suits don't care if they have to go into quarantine, they care if the ppl who do the work have to.

I always considered it an “if it doesn’t personally affect me then it doesn’t matter” thing tbqh

besides I got nothing against my coworkers

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

hbag posted:

i feel like i need medical help

Can’t help you with that, try asking endlessmonotony

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Pollyanna posted:

I always considered it an “if it doesn’t personally affect me then it doesn’t matter” thing tbqh

besides I got nothing against my coworkers

yeah it was just a joke

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

christ he's going to come back from his lunch and ask if ive been crying

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Stringent posted:

yeah it was just a joke

lol yea I know

mine tho was more of an expression of frustration cause god drat we hosed this up hard

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hbag posted:

christ he's going to come back from his lunch and ask if ive been crying

ok is that necessarily a bad thing?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

3D Megadoodoo posted:

ok is that necessarily a bad thing?

yeah id rather he didn't know ive been crying because i can't do my loving job that he's paying me to do

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

hbag posted:

yeah id rather he didn't know ive been crying because i can't do my loving job that he's paying me to do

i've got a fantasy of taking up freelance ios work in the future as a way to teach my kids how to program.

if one of them came to me crying about how they didn't know how to do the work i'd tell them i know that, that's why you're here.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

he's going to loving try and comfort me and it's going to make it worse

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
cjs: got my first promotion ever, to senior dev! only took 13 years workin lol

but, uh, the comp change is only 10%. that seems rather low. not sure if I should ask for more but I am getting by and take a 2 hour nap every day and have an incredible mentor. maybe just hang out, learn more, work relatively little and see how the recession goes

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hbag posted:

i'm all for bottling everything up forever as i'm a finn, but it doesn't work for everyone

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

legit, hbag, ask someone to start it for you or even just do it. no harm is saying you havent' learned this yet. and once it's done make sure you study the code and understand it.

or just google it in whatever language you're writing lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Enderzero posted:

cjs: got my first promotion ever, to senior dev! only took 13 years workin lol

but, uh, the comp change is only 10%. that seems rather low. not sure if I should ask for more but I am getting by and take a 2 hour nap every day and have an incredible mentor. maybe just hang out, learn more, work relatively little and see how the recession goes
this happens all the time and you just use your new job title as a way to get more money somewhere else

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Vintersorg posted:

legit, hbag, ask someone to start it for you or even just do it. no harm is saying you havent' learned this yet. and once it's done make sure you study the code and understand it.

or just google it in whatever language you're writing lol

ive been given code that pretty much does the exact thing im trying to do except it's for a different project so it's very slightly different and im a dumb piece of poo poo who can't figure out how to modify it very slightly to fit my needs or work with my poo poo, despite the concept being explained multiple times

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

hbag posted:

ive been given code that pretty much does the exact thing im trying to do except it's for a different project so it's very slightly different and im a dumb piece of poo poo who can't figure out how to modify it very slightly to fit my needs or work with my poo poo, despite the concept being explained multiple times

hi a dumb piece of poo poo who can't figure out how to modify it very slightly to fit my needs or work with my poo poo, despite the concept being explained multiple times, im hdad

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

hbag posted:

he's going to loving try and comfort me and it's going to make it worse

another once and future king quote

quote:

Merlyn turned round and looked closely at the boy through his spectacles. “What is the matter now?” he enquired nastily. His inspection had shown him that his pupil was trying not to cry, and if he spoke in a kind voice he would break down and do it. “I shall not be a knight,” replied the Wart coldly. Merlyn’s trick had worked and he no longer wanted to weep: he wanted to kick Merlyn. “I shall not be a knight because I am not a proper son of Sir Ector’s. They will knight Kay, and I shall be his squire.” Merlyn’s back was turned again, but his eyes were bright behind his spectacles. “Too bad,” he said, without commiseration.

White, T. H.. The Once and Future King (pp. 52-53). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

hbag posted:

try just copying it right into your codebase and see what happens, it's dev, who cares and go from there :)

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i can tell you right now it won't because it calls poo poo that doesn't exist in this codebase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im sorry