Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i'm trying to remember why mass effect andromeda was received so badly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
didn’t bring anything new to the table or take advantage of the ambitious concept. extremely hamhanded treatment of a transgender character (at launch, later corrected). bugs. lingering ill will from ME3 and whatever else EA was doing at the time

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i think i remember people saying the animation was really bad. never played it myself though

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i'm tired and mad

gonna play wolfenstein: the new order because you can't stop fighting nazis just because you're ~tired~

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

psiox posted:

you can't stop fighting nazis just because you're ~tired~

o7

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

haveblue posted:

didn’t bring anything new to the table or take advantage of the ambitious concept. extremely hamhanded treatment of a transgender character (at launch, later corrected). bugs. lingering ill will from ME3 and whatever else EA was doing at the time

Also gating the cutscenes explaining how the Andromeda colonization project came about in relation to the events of the previous mass effect game behind some bullshit open world collection minigame

But the real problem imo is that they were too timid with the story, probably because they didn't want to repeat the issue of the first trilogy of revealing almost everything in the first episode which probably made it difficult to followup. So you have your decoy antagonists like the geth (the kett), you have some god like "good guy" precursors (the remnants), you have some galaxy-wide fuckup that hints at the existence of a bigger picture ultra powerful, reaper grade antagonist but it kinda stops as that with a big cliffhanger and nothing gets resolved, and after dealing with all that diluted open world bullshit that's just not enough story telling payoff.

The first mass effect game was so good because it was designed to stand on its own, probably because the only reason Microsoft funded its development was to sell Xboxes and they were never interested in making sequels

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I finally found a good role to play in Fallout 4: a Chinese communist infiltrator.

1) really good reason to just disregard Shaun as the family was all a front
2) build settlements, indoctrinate wastelanders
3) ushanka
4) destroy any vestiges of the US government (BOS, Minutemen, Institute)
5) synths are proles

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/turnip-boy-commits-tax-evasion

:ok:

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc8vrGjyqes

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I finally found a good role to play in Fallout 4: a Chinese communist infiltrator.

1) really good reason to just disregard Shaun as the family was all a front
2) build settlements, indoctrinate wastelanders
3) ushanka
4) destroy any vestiges of the US government (BOS, Minutemen, Institute)
5) synths are proles

i did a playthrough where i just resisted meeting shaun until i was super powerful and then immediately just blasted him and left

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

got a steam deck coming :cool:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Zlodo posted:

Also gating the cutscenes explaining how the Andromeda colonization project came about in relation to the events of the previous mass effect game behind some bullshit open world collection minigame

But the real problem imo is that they were too timid with the story, probably because they didn't want to repeat the issue of the first trilogy of revealing almost everything in the first episode which probably made it difficult to followup. So you have your decoy antagonists like the geth (the kett), you have some god like "good guy" precursors (the remnants), you have some galaxy-wide fuckup that hints at the existence of a bigger picture ultra powerful, reaper grade antagonist but it kinda stops as that with a big cliffhanger and nothing gets resolved, and after dealing with all that diluted open world bullshit that's just not enough story telling payoff.

The first mass effect game was so good because it was designed to stand on its own, probably because the only reason Microsoft funded its development was to sell Xboxes and they were never interested in making sequels

I kinda liked the backstory to the big bad you get reading the kett datapads The kett senate is furious at archon because he's gone silent and stopped reporting back, implying he's gone off script with their gene stealing

I also played with french on which improved the experience on the whole, imo. Krogans speaking french sounds very natural.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I started a new FO4 playthrough using the 'Oops! All Legendaries' mutator mod that MATN is currently playing on his weekly Fallout video, and even though I started on Normal instead of Hard, yeah the early game can be a fucker until you get a lucky good Legendary weapon drop.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7004/

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I just 100%ed Carrion, I give it a B+. If you like chill puzzly metroidvanias I highly recommend giving it a whirl. If you can't deal with a mildly archnid-esque main character, I'd warn you that the creature made me think of spiders a bunch even though it's more of a writhing lumpy mass. My only real complaint is that it gets easy to get lost later in the game, and the "combat" leans much more on the puzzle side than the action side.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
finished the original ff14 main quest line, onward and upward. having a good time. i bought some cargo pants today

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Could I see a Hat Wobble?

Truman Peyote posted:

i think i remember people saying the animation was really bad. never played it myself though

something about beating the female mc with the ugly stick somewhere in beta for no apparent reason

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

been playing v rising. drinking bear blood

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Astarath posted:

something about beating the female mc with the ugly stick somewhere in beta for no apparent reason

There's the whole "hey let's rebuild all of our tools and poo poo in frostbite" factor at play too, especially since in my experience proprietary engines are never as polished as commercial ones like unreal

They're actually moving back to unreal for ME4 lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

vacation time, think i am going to give three houses another chance. burned out halfway through last time, fed up with the heredity/aristocracy tropes. will lean into it going black eagles and try to crit-path a bit rather than bore myself doing excessively much school stuff this time around.

e: this plan lasted until i glanced at game pass and saw that yakuza 0 as well as kiwami 1 and 2 were just added (meaning all main-series games are on game pass currently). good times ahead.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 8, 2022

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

vacation time, think i am going to give three houses another chance. burned out halfway through last time, fed up with the heredity/aristocracy tropes. will lean into it going black eagles and try to crit-path a bit rather than bore myself doing excessively much school stuff this time around.

e: this plan lasted until i glanced at game pass and saw that yakuza 0 as well as kiwami 1 and 2 were just added (meaning all main-series games are on game pass currently). good times ahead.

its hard to play kiwami 1 after zero, since kiwami 1 is really very clearly a remake of an older game, and 0 is maybe the best yakuza game ever

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

bump_fn posted:

its hard to play kiwami 1 after zero, since kiwami 1 is really very clearly a remake of an older game, and 0 is maybe the best yakuza game ever

yeah, did some googling and decided to try kiwami 1 first, can always go for 0 if i do stall out on that. some people suggest going actually chronological, but as usual those recommendations sound like they are made by nerds who themselves had encyclopedic knowledge of the series before 0.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol this brought back arcade memories from being a kid, what a lovely game this was to put 10p into :o:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3k_BvlYLqY&t=18s

^^CW: some nasty strobing right at the start of the game, you wouldn't get away with that poo poo today.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

MrQueasy posted:

I just 100%ed Carrion, I give it a B+. If you like chill puzzly metroidvanias I highly recommend giving it a whirl. If you can't deal with a mildly archnid-esque main character, I'd warn you that the creature made me think of spiders a bunch even though it's more of a writhing lumpy mass. My only real complaint is that it gets easy to get lost later in the game, and the "combat" leans much more on the puzzle side than the action side.

i like thinking of spiders

they are tiny friends

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

MrQueasy posted:

that was already on my radar, and "chill puzzly metroidvania" seems like exactly what I want these days. thanks!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

im making another go at this 40k poo poo. a friend hooked it up with some tau cuties so now im official team anime robots. my friends and i are making a field trip to the “good” gaming store this weekend so im gonna be able to watch the nerds in the mist up close and personal.

with all the recent brouhaha i kinda wanna get good enough to get to a regional tournament and then show up in rogal dorn drag and mentally destroy people.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I can't handle being at the gaming store during events, good luck

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

I have never warhammed but I would play the berserkers of korn if I wanted to

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Roosevelt posted:

I have never warhammed but I would play the berserkers of korn if I wanted to

lol brb finding a suitable artist with open commissions to paint 'Jonathan Davis of Khorne'.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
why find an artist when dall-e is right there

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Casual Encountess posted:

im making another go at this 40k poo poo. a friend hooked it up with some tau cuties so now im official team anime robots. my friends and i are making a field trip to the “good” gaming store this weekend so im gonna be able to watch the nerds in the mist up close and personal.

with all the recent brouhaha i kinda wanna get good enough to get to a regional tournament and then show up in rogal dorn drag and mentally destroy people.

tau are neat. i recommend choosing some units that look cool, getting a rough idea of what kind of list you want to run and not worrying to much about specifics until you're playing regularly.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I recommend getting shoved into a locker

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I like chaos a lot though

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
necrons ftw

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

orks ftw

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
admech ftw

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
when will we get a space marine sequel? WHEN??

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

it's in the works! i don't know when either tho and i'm champing at the goddamn bit for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgxVQRTXtz0