Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Alarbus posted:

Do you still have MTG cards? Have you seen prices recently?

Because, uh, they could fund anything from a laptop to a car based on what you have.

I poo poo you not, I just checked and I have a couple of $500 cards in there. Might as well see what I can get for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

necrobobsledder posted:

I will never stop being amazed at the lengths people will go to to use whatever they have lying around to solve simple problems in the most convoluted ways possible. Bravo

DIY until I die likely from my own handiwork

knox
Oct 28, 2004

anakha posted:

Hopefully my company pushes through this year with replacing the lovely work-issued laptop I've had now for the past 5 years.

nice1, this is the sort of setup I've had in my head to make once I get new desktop PC & monitors, with I guess an additional laptop. I have my basic work-issued Dell laptop, & this Lenovo Legion gaming laptop that I've used as my main PC for 2 years now; this monitor setup here is what I'd want though. I guess I could go for dual monitors with a smaller third vertical monitor but it tends to look or feel like too much/overkill.

God of Mischief
Oct 22, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

oh god, that’s the worst one

No I was thinking of this one, of which at least two iterations appear to have been produced:

I have one of these. It's a great bag that holds a ton. It sucks for M:tG cards. Way too much open space that jostles your precious cardboard around in.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

God of Mischief posted:

I have one of these. It's a great bag that holds a ton. It sucks for M:tG cards. Way too much open space that jostles your precious cardboard around in.

it’s the bag equivalent of one of those microsuede sectional couches with the cup holders built into the armrests that have light up LED rings

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

oh god, that’s the worst one

No I was thinking of this one, of which at least two iterations appear to have been produced:

I have that exact bag, it's okay. Those kind of bags will give you neck/shoulder issues

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Ok Comboomer posted:

it’s the bag equivalent of one of those microsuede sectional couches with the cup holders built into the armrests that have light up LED rings

I thought you were being harsh before but lol this won me over

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Does anyone have a recommendation for a computer desk/work bench combo? I have up to 72" width by about 30-36" depth to play with. I might just go with a flat wood top table but it'd be cool to have drawers, built in lights, power and a pegboard. Those aren't all necessary I suppose. It'd be for mostly computer stuff but also for electronics and jewelry making.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Laopooh posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a computer desk/work bench combo? I have up to 72" width by about 30-36" depth to play with. I might just go with a flat wood top table but it'd be cool to have drawers, built in lights, power and a pegboard. Those aren't all necessary I suppose. It'd be for mostly computer stuff but also for electronics and jewelry making.

this thread loves the Husky workbenches at Home Despot for a reason. There are height-adjustable ones that are great for sit/stand and also static ones and all make good desks.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I highly recommend varidesk, it’s gonna be a more polished solution over a Husky.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Inner Light posted:

I highly recommend varidesk, it’s gonna be a more polished solution over a Husky.

yes and it’s also 4-5x the price

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Just taking a quick peek it looks like the Varidesk is only 3x the price of the Husky, and something like I did with an Autonomous frame and just reusing the top from my existing desk is less than 2x. You can do even better if you're willing to slow-boat an Aliexpress version of the same frames basically everyone rebrands.

That's still a few hundred bucks difference, but if you plan to change height regularly that extra price could easily be worth it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

wolrah posted:

Just taking a quick peek it looks like the Varidesk is only 3x the price of the Husky, and something like I did with an Autonomous frame and just reusing the top from my existing desk is less than 2x. You can do even better if you're willing to slow-boat an Aliexpress version of the same frames basically everyone rebrands.

That's still a few hundred bucks difference, but if you plan to change height regularly that extra price could easily be worth it.

the hand crank on the Husky is actually its own separate piece which pops right off, revealing a standard hex that can be driven with any low-power electric screwdriver, to say nothing of a bigger driver or (god forbid, lol) a cordless drill.

Even if you budget $20-60 for the driver of your choice, just for that one role, it still comes out way cheaper than more admittedly polished alternatives. And if you’ve ever bought a bundle pack of power tools then there’s a good chance that you already have one kicking around—or will come into ownership of one if you have plans to outfit a workshop.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
That sounds like a great hack for intermittently adjusting it in a garage or shop environment, but IMO the value of the electronic controls comes from the presets.

When I want to stand I push the 2 button and then just push my chair out of the way while pulling my standing mat out from under my desk. When I want to sit I kick the mat back under, press 1, and go grab my chair. I don't have to hold a drill in line with the desk, I don't have to fiddle around to get the right height, it just goes to the place I want it.

The super cheap motorized frames that just have up and down buttons, yeah, I'd just do the drill hack rather than deal with one of those.

Your use case may be different so the presets aren't as important, but for my use case where I try to spend time in both positions every day it's really nice to just tap a button and have it end up in the right place.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

wolrah posted:

it's really nice to just tap a button and have it end up in the right place.

Yeah it really is. Plus I can push a button while one of my cats is on the desk and they act really cute while it's moving :3:

If anybody is looking at buying one I'd def recommend looking into making one yourself. Super easy, you only need a drill and a measuring tape, and it'll generally save you a few bills.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Johnny Truant posted:

Plus I can push a button while one of my cats is on the desk and they act really cute while it's moving :3:

Yep, my cat loved to sit on top of my tower and ride it up to inspect the ceiling :catte:

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Wanna just repeat that the cheap Amazon/eBay standing desks are Totally Mostly Fine. Between two coasts, my girlfriend and I have had 5 total with memory controls and zero issues.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I bought a dual motor frame for like $160 and a butcher block acacia top for maybe $140 and I've had a great experience with it minus me being stupid and not properly staining and sealing it near the beginning of the pandemic and I had to quickly setup my home office.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Moved in April but finally got everything setup the way I like it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Looks amazing! Congrats

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

So I went the route of making a butcher block desk and everything turned out great for the first few months. Now the polyurethane has developed into a tacky like substance and can be scrapped and peeled off. It’s developed in the high usage areas of the desk and is a real bummer. Do I pretty much need to strip the entire thing and reapply? Is it even worth it to?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

So I went the route of making a butcher block desk and everything turned out great for the first few months. Now the polyurethane has developed into a tacky like substance and can be scrapped and peeled off. It’s developed in the high usage areas of the desk and is a real bummer. Do I pretty much need to strip the entire thing and reapply? Is it even worth it to?

yes, and yes

the good thing about butcher block is that you can sand it down easily

you could retry applying polyurethane if it’s hot in your area and really let it cure in the summer heat, or try a different finish like epoxy or something else (maybe something made specifically for tabletops and work surfaces?)

honestly you might just get away with sanding it down and just rubbing some light mineral oil into the wood, but I honestly don’t know- I’ve never really had good luck finishing my own tabletops in a way that didn’t make them feel at least a little bit gross, except for the times I’ve had spray paint or automotive paint cure really well on something

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have two butcher blocks tables I have finished and both turned out fine and I'm a few years in to one and haven't had any issues with the poly. The one thing I will say is that I used a water based flat poly on the second desk and only applied 3 coats over 3 days and it turned out way better than the oil based satin one I did.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Nice setup! So much inspiration in this thread! (I also laughed that my desk is on your monitor in that picture)

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

SalTheBard posted:

Nice setup! So much inspiration in this thread! (I also laughed that my desk is on your monitor in that picture)

That's funny, it's an older photo since I couldn't upload a new one to imgur this morning for some reason (nice setup yourself) .

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Rusty posted:

I have two butcher blocks tables I have finished and both turned out fine and I'm a few years in to one and haven't had any issues with the poly. The one thing I will say is that I used a water based flat poly on the second desk and only applied 3 coats over 3 days and it turned out way better than the oil based satin one I did.

That cat is part of your pc's thermal heatsink

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That cat is part of your pc's thermal heatsink
The cat is a permanent feature of my PC. He will just lay on it for hours at a time.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm hoping i can maybe get a bit of advice here on a new desk setup.

Basically, I've been using this Ikea Hemnes Desk for about 10 years or so, including the back panel.
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/hemnes-desk-with-add-on-unit-black-brown-s09000500/

It's been perfect, it's solidly built has great storage and whatnot and just looks the part... for a single monitor setup.

My 36" monitor fits in the cavity perfectly and it's all neat and poo poo.

Except now I'm working from home petty much full time and have navigated to a dual monitor setup. I either have to park the second monitor out on the desk in front and angle myself maybe 30 degrees to look at the centre of the two screens which then plays havok with mouse/keyboard positioning.

The alternative (and my current config) is that I basically park both monitors further forward, leaving just enough space for the keyboard and not much else.

The floating monitor brackets don't fit on my desk or either of my monitors, so that's out as an option and I've pretty much resigned myself to getting rid of the back panel to get more desk space back.

However, the shelves and drawers are super loving handy so I'm wondering if there's a dual monitor equivalent that anyone's come across? Like some kind of monitor enclosure that has shelves and drawers below, above and to the sides of the monitors if possible

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
why do so many of you have your computers on top of your desks? living like poo poo, y’all

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah I think It's so you can see where all your money went but I don't get it either.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Too many people with RGB windowed cases in the last 10 years

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

why do so many of you have your computers on top of your desks? living like poo poo, y’all

Keeps my psu from sucking up a bunch cat hair from the floor.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

TenementFunster posted:

Cat

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

TenementFunster posted:

I like looking at it :-/

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Dust but same, I have carpet cause I like it cozy but the bottom intake doesn't exactly love it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just lol if your desktop is light enough to be supported by your desk.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
My tower is under a fern

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'd have my desktop on my desk but I have three monitors and even with an 84" desk there isn't enough room

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mik posted:

My tower is under a fern

The one adjustable/cantable drafting table trestle and one inert cabinet base are kinda throwing me for a loop here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
The obvious and optimal compromise is to hang the computer under your desk.