Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
he's got that SSRI dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

NutritiousSnack posted:

Quick question, but how bad is MM at sex that Todd just replaced him?

Bad? Hes amazing. He gets down there and goes nom nom nom nom, they said so in the show

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

2nd level spells posted:

Somebody's already called Ryan HomeBoy, right?

I did back in season 2, it didn't seem to catch on. Maybe he'll get a costume and the name will stick.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

NutritiousSnack posted:

Quick question, but how bad is MM at sex that Todd just replaced him?

He's completely non-threatening, most likely has a very boring, crime free past, has a stable job with a future, is good with her daughter, and she is confident he won't cheat. Source: my life. I was almost Todd. God, I wish I was Todd.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

As Nero Danced posted:

I did back in season 2, it didn't seem to catch on. Maybe he'll get a costume and the name will stick.

his name is not homeman!!! it doesnt work! get out of here!!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
lmao at them getting a bear head shaman prick in the crowd there at the end.

It was merely an okay finale overall but I did like Homelander managing to give an almost sweet and tender dad talk to Ryan at the start. And 99% sure we'll get a new Black Noir next season, curious as to who (please not the comic clone)

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Marsupial Ape posted:

He's completely non-threatening, most likely has a very boring, crime free past, has a stable job with a future, is good with her daughter, and she is confident he won't cheat. Source: my life. I was almost Todd. God, I wish I was Todd.

Missed opportunity by making him a school teacher. He definitely should have been "Todd from accounting."

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Kind of funny how herogasm felt like a season finale, and the actual finale felt like a bit of a dud. It definitely wasn't bad, but just didn't quite hit the same high notes as the previous confrontation, and didn't stick the landing.

I still think the Nina subplot was a misstep overall, and the de-supe beam was a bit of a red herring, but oh well. A lot of the conflict between the protagonists towards the end felt kinda shoehorned in and not well-reasoned (gassing Soldier Boy could have been worked into the plan of what to do after he killed Homelander if they'd stopped to think a second). Ryan finding it comfortable under the arm of the devil sets him up to be even worse than Homelander as he starts to grow and explore his powers and lack of restraint.

I do wonder how they're going to work Cindy from season 2 in going forward, if that's even still a part of the plan.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I did like that they somewhat subverted the Bury Your Gays thing with Maeve and she got both a heroic sacrifice and a depowered and well-deserved retirement.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

I did like that they somewhat subverted the Bury Your Gays thing with Maeve and she got both a heroic sacrifice and a depowered and well-deserved retirement.

Yeah, I hated that. Do one or the other.

Wheeee posted:

MM has to lay three towels down on the bed first, insists on wearing mormon pajamas to stay clean, and freaks out if he feels anything wet

Given his OCD, he's probably incapable of eating pussy. Much like Butcher, he's secretly very much like a famous superhero.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i dont mind maeve getting to ride off in the sunset happy but i can't get over the feeling that tackling soldier boy in a defiant self-sacrifice was a scene they wrote for noir, then they switcharoo'd it to maeve after realizing they'd given her basically poo poo all to do all season.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

That DICK! posted:

i dont mind maeve getting to ride off in the sunset happy but i can't get over the feeling that tackling soldier boy in a defiant self-sacrifice was a scene they wrote for noir, then they switcharoo'd it to maeve after realizing they'd given her basically poo poo all to do all season.

Same, and I can get into this is also a trope with black people in media. They have Noir the pathetic out of nowhere death, when Maeve was fully on the Butcher Train (more so than loving Butcher) because she was there and responsible when that plane went down

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

That DICK! posted:

his name is not homeman!!! it doesnt work! get out of here!!

The Homeladdy?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
also Novachick would be a banging name for a Russian supe

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Most of The Seven have been incredibly underutilized through much of the shows run, no reason for that to change now.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Frenchie big "i will not shut up" moment was hilarious cuz only kimiko has context for it and everyone else just looked real confused

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

That DICK! posted:

Same. Glad they gave Maeve the happy ending but also if the roles were switched between Noir and Maeve everything else makes way more sense once the finale gets going:

- Butcher fights SB while Noir holds off Homelander
- Noir sacrifices himself to take out SB, dies at peace
- Dunno what you do with Maeve at this point but honestly they could've just let her go do her thing after escaping from the truck and still pulled the "Ashley covering tracks" ending

Sucks for the actress playing Maeve but it would've made all the arcs a lot cleaner.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Was A-Train's brother aware that A-Train killed Hughie's girlfriend because he was out scoring Compound V?

He had to be right? There was a press conference about the "collateral" death, and Nathan was well aware that A-Train was addicted to Compound V. Did he ever connect the dots in S1 & 2?

I get that the narrative reason is to show that Nathan has principles and that A-Train can't absolve himself by murdering assholes. But it seems odd that Blue Hawk was the final straw and not "you manslaughtered an innocent woman because of the drug addiction that I already disapprove of".

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Hmm.

https://ew.com/tv/black-noir-nathan-mitchell-recast-the-boys-season-4/

quote:

Come season 4, which will start filming this August, Mitchell will play "a different character who wears the Black Noir suit," Kripke reveals. "It's definitely not the last we've seen of Black Noir as a hero. It's just that the guy who was inside [the Noir suit] in season 3, he's gone. But we have Nathan playing a really interesting and hilarious character who wears the suit next season."

Comic spoilers: Well that's one way to bring back that plotline. And I guess it will be proven when Homelander can't xray the mask or something.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
That guy Homelander lasered was an antifa supersoldier who was coming right at him. Or at least Homelander thought he was, and he was in fear for his life.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

ghostinmyshell posted:

Hmm.

Comic spoilers: Well that's one way to bring back that plotline. And I guess it will be proven when Homelander can't xray the mask or something.

Wait so the same actor is playing the same "hero" but a different person behind the mask? That's weird.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I.... didn't really like that episode. First time I've thought that. Noir's death was anticlimactic and wasted the whole buildup, after I was really interested in seeing where it went. Meanwhile the Soldier Boy storyline ended exactly where it started and accomplished nothing. I need to rewatch it, maybe my expectations were too high.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

ghostinmyshell posted:

Hmm.

Oh, now, we're gonna get The Boys version of Deadpool, aren't we?

boo_radley posted:

also Novachick would be a banging name for a Russian supe

I always thought "Flyrock" would be a cool name for an Appalachian supe.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The finale was ok. Something I’ve seen a lot of is people feeling that the show is just spinning it’s wheels if we don’t get the final Butcher - Homelander showdown where one of them dies, and if that is the only thing you are waiting for, you probably need to check out until the final few episodes of the final season.

I also wouldn’t expect any of the the boys to die until at least the finale of next season, assuming it’s the penultimate season.

Maybe season 3 should have been about taking down other low-mid level supes and battling homelanders fascist upstarts (with local chapters run by guys like Blue Hawk). Then you have season 4 where they find Soldier Boy as the supposed secret weapon to take out Homelander and put an end to everything.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Mat Cauthon posted:

Same. Glad they gave Maeve the happy ending but also if the roles were switched between Noir and Maeve everything else makes way more sense once the finale gets going:

- Butcher fights SB while Noir holds off Homelander
- Noir sacrifices himself to take out SB, dies at peace
- Dunno what you do with Maeve at this point but honestly they could've just let her go do her thing after escaping from the truck and still pulled the "Ashley covering tracks" ending

Sucks for the actress playing Maeve but it would've made all the arcs a lot cleaner.

this is possibly a suffering from success deal because

i feel like this was always the endgame. they had a masked hero, wouldnt it be such a joke on like, ageism or capitalism or whatever if we just replaced him with a hip young fella. so they actually had to establish him as a character you'd care about being replaced, and whoopsie daisy, he's baby yoda status. can't believe that a nameless, faceless brain damaged and depressed guy who's stayed at his job for too dang long and reimagines past grievances in cartoon characters was relatable to today's audiences. now everyones mad

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's just a way for them to get him some actual lines and make him a real character. New Black Noir ruffles Homelander's feathers because he's not mute and doesn't wear the mask 100% of the time.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

goodog posted:

Was A-Train's brother aware that A-Train killed Hughie's girlfriend because he was out scoring Compound V?

He had to be right? There was a press conference about the "collateral" death, and Nathan was well aware that A-Train was addicted to Compound V. Did he ever connect the dots in S1 & 2?

I get that the narrative reason is to show that Nathan has principles and that A-Train can't absolve himself by murdering assholes. But it seems odd that Blue Hawk was the final straw and not "you manslaughtered an innocent woman because of the drug addiction that I already disapprove of".

I think it makes sense. As horrible as it was what he did to Robin it was still an accident--or at least it was something he intended to do. Killing Blue Hawk was an intentional decision that he made

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Did not like the way Noir went out. Such a let down. He deserved his confrontation with Soldier Boy. But drat, he really was dain bramaged. When we walked in with that folded paper I thought it was going to be a letter to Homelander about "Yeah, Soldier Boy is a dick, he was abusive towards me, we stopped him but he destroyed me and now he's back and we have to stop him" in a long infodump. Instead it was SOLDER BOY BAD WE KIL HIM in crayon. :(

Even worse that he died when it was literally

for the rest.

But I am glad Maeve didn't die and that we have a chance to see more Soldier Boy. If they bring back Stormfront, getting to see Aya Cash chew scenery with Jensen Ackles and Antony Starr will be glorious. Loved hearing more of his backstory. I had at least thought he might have had a kernel of being an actual hero--like he was a regular Joe who volunteered for WWII and did actual basic training, maybe some combat before taking the V. Nope, he's just always been a douche. But that was key for him recognizing what a shitheel Homelander was. Takes one to know one. Props to him for not going back on his deal with Butcher too.

I think there is one missed plot thread--Stan Edgar. He is literally the most likely candidate for actual villain in the show. He is behind the misery of almost everyone--from getting Noir and Payback to take out Soldier Boy and giving him to the Russians, to raising Homelander to be hosed up, to setting up the current system of "heroes" and covering up their misdeeds, manipulating Butcher, raising his adoptive daughter as both a weapon and political snake--outside of Frederick Vought and whichever corporate bosses ran the company between his death and Edgar taking power, but they're all dead.

Pretty much every character in the show could team up to get revenge on Stan Edgar. And I can't believe he doesn't have a backup plan somehow to get back in control.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I wish Frenchie had died his entire plot this season was wasted garbage

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Piell posted:

I wish Frenchie had died his entire plot this season was wasted garbage

I hope Frenchie is the only survivor by the end of the series

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I really like the Frenchy/Kimiko relationship and I'm rooting for them :3:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I like them too but that dance fight scene was pretty lame

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

FistEnergy posted:

I really like the Frenchy/Kimiko relationship and I'm rooting for them :3:

:hfive:

They're great, I want them, MM and Annie to be happy. Hughie maybe too if he keeps his poo poo together. Maybe.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Pretty mediocre finale. The showdown was a mess of personal drama that made clear that they had lost sight of the real priorities. Fine. Except judging by the way the episode ended, that's not something they're aware of or feeling (yet, maybe). They still have no alternative to Soldier Boy and so they're ending the season much more hosed and imperiled than they started it, but nothing about how the season ended suggests that they're really processing that. Which would be fine if the season ended after the big fight, but it's been days or maybe weeks by the time the credits roll and the Boys' scene in the Gridiron Building plays like its the season finale of some lovely network detective procedural and not like a show where basically everything has completely fallen apart for them.

My heart was pumping during the Herogasm fight but this episode had me scratching my head and hoping for Soldier Boy to kill or disable everyone who lost sight of the endgame. Down to the setup for next season, it plays out as though Homelander is dead or neutralized, except they all know that neither is the case.

The major contradiction this season is that Butcher was and remains 100% correct about the stakes and the means, whether or not the ends justify them, and yet the season ends with nobody recognizing that.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
So so finale, but a great season.

I had to press pause or mute several scenes when i didn't know whether a supe was about to murder a completely innocent person. This show does sudden and extreme violence very well.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What show was this again?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
i want every male character to die

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

tokin opposition posted:

i want every male character to die

Even MM?!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think a major difference at the end of this season to the start (and prior seasons) is that now the main characters are aware that they kind of brought into the myth of Homelander themselves, and that he's far from invulnerable. He can be bruised, he can bleed, he can be hurt, and his proclamations that he could wipe out the entire planet on a whim if he wanted to aren't as cut and dry as he made out. Plus of course Mallory has Soldier Boy's body now, and presumably will continue the research that Russia was doing on his V-Destroying Beam.

On the flip side, you have Homelander realizing that he can take the mask of civility off and that people will STILL love him and adore him and worship him regardless, or at least enough of them that he can continue to surround himself in yes-men/worshipers and bask in their adoration in a desperate attempt to fill the gap left in him by the way he was raised, while still indulging in all the horrible excesses he wants to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

MM who put a revenge mission above saving the world from Evil Superman?

When Super MAGA chuds are burning his house down, maybe his suffering will be less for the heart-to-heart he had with his daughter.