Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

qirex posted:

Classical lives and dies on dynamic range so that makes sense. Meanwhile there’s plug-ins for rap producers to intentionally dither the audio down to 10 bit to make it sound more old school.

thats not how it works ffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

qirex posted:

Yeah, a lot of the music of my youth sounds terrible [especially the hundreds of literal cassette rips from raves]. If you want a good example of this listen to Pretty Hate Machine in the original mix vs the remaster, both are on streaming.

The same thing applies to these ancient jazz recordings dudes are spending $40 for a new mix of, they were recorded on garbage equipment, maybe not as bad as most early punk but still not great stuff. Or my favorite scam, paying extra for a new, even higher resolution rip of a 60 year old 1/4".

Yeah no HiFi system is ever going to reproduce what you would like to reproduce in a 1920’s Duke Ellington recording, because the information is not there in the first place.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm having difficulty getting the Marantz Face on the Aiwa Stack system guys, i need some new screws since the supplied ones don't match. Do you have a recomendation on the right set of screws to curve out square wave of the DAC.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Paradoxically you need a Robertson head to do that

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm not an idiot. I was wondering what kind of alloy mix is the best.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Googling for a funny answer led me to this: SoundScrews

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

qirex posted:

Yeah, a lot of the music of my youth sounds terrible [especially the hundreds of literal cassette rips from raves]

But the tape here says it is DAT RECORDED! What more could anyone want? (MC goes on 15 minute rant about the sound engineer who has left his post).

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

here's some peak boomer-rear end poo poo: someone paid almost 2 million dollars for a unique bob dylan recording on a bullshit "ultimate" disc

quote:

Announced in April and met with a fair amount of scepticism, Ionic Originals consist of "lacquer painted onto an aluminium disc, with a spiral etched into it by music... which can be heard by putting a stylus into the spiral and spinning it", similar to a test pressing.

Unlike a test pressing or acetate, however, the Ionic Original shouldn't suffer from degradation after multiple plays because the coating on the disc is made from a gradient of sapphire and quartz, which Burnett says is, "what they use on the Space Station to shield it from the direct light of the sun". In this instance, it helps improve the disc's longevity and reduces crackling.

"Friction creates static electricity, which attracts dust, which causes pops," Burnett explained to the BBC (opens in new tab). "So with this coating removing friction, if some dust does land on the needle, it cleans it out. So the discs are essentially self-cleaning." Hmm.

Described by Burnett as "the pinnacle of sound", the discs are playable on regular turntables and created through his own, newly-formed company, called NeoFidelity Inc. Similar to NFTs in the art world, Burnett hopes that the long-gestated project can go some way toward "reset[ing] the valuation of recorded music".
the good news is whoever bought this is at least 70 so what it actually sounds like is irrelevant

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It’s always fun when Ionic pops up in here as they are peak format fuckery.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

And what you're getting is, at best, a perfect reproduction of a guy who can't sing worth a drat, playing some songs that he will completely change the arrangements on because the musical specifics are not important to the actual songs.
And the original recording is poo poo of course.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You could just buy 2 regular LPs of it, and not play one.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

You could just buy 2 regular LPs of it, and not play one.

Or 50,000 regular LPs, and play a new one every time you listen

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

don't they make like, laser record players that don't actually contact the record

seems like that'd be cheaper and get the same "does not wear down" result

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Zereth posted:

don't they make like, laser record players that don't actually contact the record

That's a CD :v:

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Zereth posted:

they exist but suck because they can't deal with specks of dust

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

AlexDeGruven posted:

AIWA was the loving balls in the 80s, tho

For a while they were really good, and not nearly as expensive as most other brands.

I got one of their personal stereos in, I think, 1983 and made everyone that saw it jealous as gently caress. There was a running gear shop that had it in the window for £30 which wasn't exactly cheap as it wasn't new. It had been bought by the shop owner when he was in Japan so it was exotic (until it appeared here too), as well as ridiculously small relative to anything at the time, or even for a few years afterwards. The housing was metal too which was just so loving cool.

It lasted me for years and sounded great too.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Crime on a Dime posted:

they exist but suck because they can't deal with specks of dust

Maybe the record could be stored in some sort of... caddy? that protects it from the elements. The caddy would need to be made of space-grade quartz, naturally.

Behold, the future!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Ugh, now I have to remember working for a department where that was the only available CD drive, and most of my job was archiving and editing photos from CDs. I only had one caddy, and it was annoying as poo poo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What if we took the record and somehow zapped it inside a computer where it could be preserved as a series of 1s and 0 as for all eternity? It happens to people in bad anime all the time so surely it's possible.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

KillHour posted:

What if we took the record and somehow zapped it inside a computer where it could be preserved as a series of 1s and 0 as for all eternity? It happens to people in bad anime all the time so surely it's possible.

Would you believe that almost every record since 1980 has already been stored like this, just on different media?!

It’s almost like these new ‘perfect analogue’ prints are being made from a set of ADAT tapes.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
but analog is analog

you can't explain 'dat

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

all right which one of you was this

quote:

RICHMOND, Calif. - Richmond Mayor Tom Butt announced Sunday a $500 reward to the person who can clearly identify the source of a mysterious sound haunting the city.

The persistent ‘bass beat’ disturbed the sleep of residents Saturday night and early Sunday, according to the Richmond Standard. People from Point Richmond to El Sobrante to San Pablo desperately sought its source.

They vented their frustrations on Nextdoor and social media about the "incessant bass tone beat that kept them up all night."

"Wasn’t normal music; it was a loop of some sort of electronic dance music (edm)/techno [that] would start and stop a few times, get louder and louder and then stop," said Jay Men on Next Door. "Then it would start all over… Horrible night."
I'd semi-seriously guess this was an outdoor party with a :krad: sound system, when it's foggy and windy you get real weird shifting acoustics with all the hills and valleys around here

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Very “me neighbors are always listening to loud drum n bass music…whether they like it or not!” energy from that article.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

That's an area of several square miles including a whole rear end oil refinery so this isn't one bad neighbor.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

qirex posted:

I'd semi-seriously guess this was an outdoor party with a :krad: sound system, when it's foggy and windy you get real weird shifting acoustics with all the hills and valleys around here

This is my bet too. A lot of folks don't realize how much party music has one of like three standard rhythms until they're in a situation where they can only hear the bass.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

qirex posted:

I thought desert raves stopped years ago. Pretty cool to see that they're still going.

I live in a flat midwestern hellscape so all we get is random fireworks/guns in the middle of the night and you just learn to ignore it.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
That reminds me though, when I first got a system that would produce real sub-bass I was listening to a tape manipulation piece that had a section with pronounced 11-12 Hz frequencies and you couldn't hear them but they would rattle my cheap apartment windows. I talked to the guy who made it and he had no idea, he was only able to hear a normal range of frequencies on the speakers he was using.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I've had that issue with someone who painstakingly digitized a lot of pretty rare records, then ran an equalizer on them to make them sound better (which they did, he does have an ear for that kind of stuff). All with really high quality speakers, though speakers that didn't realistically reproduced very low frequencies in his room partially due to standing waves.

I always noticed that his digitized records would sound too thumpy, and if i was listening to them through an old stereo tube radio that otherwise sounds nice, it would quickly saturate the output transformers.

It took until he got some speakers with flatter <50Hz response that he figured out i was right about the excessive really low bass content, and he re-did everything.
When you screw around with frequency response corrections, it's always important to use multiple types of monitor. Sometimes an objectively crap loudspeaker can help you discover things about your recordings, that you don't notice on high end stuff.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've noticed that a lot of YouTube channels don't use any kind of high-pass filters, or much audio processing at all, to be honest.

It's fine when you listen on a crappy phone speaker or earbuds, but on proper headphones or a stereo with a subwoofer, you suddenly get massive bass from wind and bumps and stuff completely overwhelming everything else.

Just put a simple 80Hz HPF on your mics people, please!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The recording engineer on my band's EP specifically borrowed the drummer's weird hi-fi setup (which was a bunch of crap he got in trades) to get a feel for how the result would be from something that was not his own professional monitors. You gotta mix for both audiophile setups, typical users and idiots if you want a truly good mix.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

BonHair posted:

The recording engineer on my band's EP specifically borrowed the drummer's weird hi-fi setup (which was a bunch of crap he got in trades) to get a feel for how the result would be from something that was not his own professional monitors. You gotta mix for both audiophile setups, typical users and idiots if you want a truly good mix.

Yeah all the real pros make a mono mix that they play on everything from their monitors to crappy mono Bluetooth speakers so they can balance the mix properly.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I follow a bunch of hip hop producers on social media and I see them ask who has a car with a good system they can test stuff out on from time to time.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah it's well-established practice in any audio mixing discipline that you try out your mixes on as many playback systems as you can.

LimaBiker posted:

When you screw around with frequency response corrections, it's always important to use multiple types of monitor. Sometimes an objectively crap loudspeaker can help you discover things about your recordings, that you don't notice on high end stuff.

Listening on lovely little speakers is almost the most important part, since the vast majority of music consumers aren't sitting at a quality hi-fi or pair of studio monitors, they've got a Bluetooth speaker in a corner of the kitchen.

Incidentally this is sort of how I feel about the venerated Yamaha NS-10. They don't sound good. They actually sound kind of lovely. But if you can make a mix sound good on them, it'll probably sound good anywhere.

Re: weird noise in that California town: Windsor, Ontario used to have a weird humming sound that went unexplained for decades. Lots of conspiracy theories went around to explain it, but it turned out to be a steel mill on the Detroit side of the river. When the mill shut down due to COVID, the hum stopped.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah it's well-established practice in any audio mixing discipline that you try out your mixes on as many playback systems as you can.

It's especially important to listen to it in mono, because of Bluetooth speakers etc., as you mentioned. A mix that sounds good in stereo can get really messed up in the downmix to mono, because of phase differences between the channels, leading to weird cancellations and warbly sound.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

Re: weird noise in that California town: Windsor, Ontario used to have a weird humming sound that went unexplained for decades. Lots of conspiracy theories went around to explain it, but it turned out to be a steel mill on the Detroit side of the river. When the mill shut down due to COVID, the hum stopped.

It turns out it was some event with crazy pickup trucks just loaded with speakers. It's a mobile party thing originally from Brazil called "deboxe."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Speaking of.... Holy poo poo One More Time by Daft Punk has some crazy sub bass that I never noticed until now. It has to be like 12 hz or something.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

KillHour posted:

Speaking of.... Holy poo poo One More Time by Daft Punk has some crazy sub bass that I never noticed until now. It has to be like 12 hz or something.

Wouldn't surprise me. They're (were, I guess) masters of their craft. Listening to them on higher quality gear has always left me in increasing states of awe. Random Access Memories is a masterpiece.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The funny thing about Discovery is that everyone seems to credit it as the first popular use of sidechain compression for effect, but AFAIK there's virtually none on the album. 'Masters of their craft' they were, but the reason it sounds so pumpy is because the entire thing was mastered with a lovely Alesis compressor you can get for like $30 these days.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Speaking of bass, the low end in this has always sounded like a mistake if you listen to it. It just doesn't flow with the tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnJIb4A-DuY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
Please give us $2k for an amplifier that has been specially modded to have as much harmonic distortion as possible and probably blow up if you run it for too long at high power:
https://skyfiaudio.com/products/dynaco-st-70-vintage-stereo-tube-amplifier-hot-rodded-with-kt90s?mc_cid=2e77221ca6&mc_eid=9ba39bfcb4