Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i pick cow and wildebeest that's like the easiest thing ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
but imagine the smell and the noise

...that i have to put up with because you took the other two

mystes
May 31, 2006

DaTroof posted:

cow, wildebeest, hn poster. you can only pick two
wow that's a really hard choice, can I have more time to think about it?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Can I feed the hn poster to the wildebeest? Perhaps as a slurry?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
The author of the V programming language (amedvednikov) is melting down on HN because people called him out on his past meltdowns over legitimate criticism of the language (like, "it leaks memory like a sieve" or "the http module uses system() to call curl without escaping its arguments").

amedvednikov 2 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

All of the issues there were fixed several days ago, so it's no longer relevant.

Since it was another anonymous attack, it's not going to be updated and will stay like this for years.

And the issues discussed are questionable at best. Half the article is about a type checker bug, which was a 3 line fix.

Then false claims like being able to modify array.len.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
until the v devs wrap their brains around the difference in communication between an aspirational todo list and a list of features they actually loving have implemented, v will remain a language by and for clowns

"check out my new language which solves the halting problem, cures cancer, has curly braces"

"at least 2 of those are false"

"WHY IS EVERYONE PERSONALLY ATTACKING ME, IT'S STILL IN ALPHA, FURTHERMORE YOU HAVEN'T USED IT ENOUGH TO CRITIQUE IT"

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 1, 2022

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Internet Janitor posted:

v will remain a language by and for clowns
this is all computer languages

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
nah, there are languages for all sorts; clowns, sadists, masochists

mystes
May 31, 2006

The v person is kind of dumb (especially listing things that aren't implemented as features) but also I'm surprised they're still sticking with it after getting mocked on the internet so much for years so I don't hate them

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
the best part of V is that functions are pure (besides I/O)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it’s starting to feel like the templeos guy though

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
the thing that amazes me is how many hn posters are jumping to v's defense and insisting that it's perfectly reasonable for a 0.3 release to not actually implement the things it claims to have implemented

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ah, star citizen fans

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Internet Janitor posted:

nah, there are languages for all sorts; clowns, sadists, masochists

c++, being multiparadigm, is for sadomaschist clowns.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

mystes posted:

The v person is kind of dumb (especially listing things that aren't implemented as features) but also I'm surprised they're still sticking with it after getting mocked on the internet so much for years so I don't hate them

on the other hand, v person is the kind of rear end in a top hat who responds to valid criticism by accusing the critic of being part of a vast conspiracy to destroy v

(and there is a whole lot to criticize, lol. example: v claims to have no undefined behavior. however, the v compiler is just a preprocessor which translates v to c, then runs a c compiler. but v does little to avoid UDB in its C codegen - it's as trivial as writing an integer overflow in your V source)

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

V for Still-in-beta

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Armitag3 posted:

V for Still-in-beta

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Armitag3 posted:

V for Still-in-beta

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

darkerside 5 minutes ago | prev [–]

Was the train running a red light? This seems confusing for a human driver, too. I'm usually looking for cars and pedestrians, not trains when turning left.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
uh...

mystes
May 31, 2006

This just shows that we need to ban trains, trams, pedestrians, and bikes so we can move forward with the self driving revolution.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
h2odragon 24 minutes ago | next [–]

What a great idea. Allow un-drugged, "natural" atheletes as a class, and allow "open" for those who choose to use chemicals or whatever to enhance performance. The rules on "cyber enhancements" should be good for centuries of pleasant and ultimately meaningless flame war.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I expected sarcasm after “What a great idea,” but I don’t think they were being sarcastic.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I wasn't even mining for quotes, I just recognized the author by the third sentence:

"I suspect any developer reading this is aware of the DRY principle because it is just so ubiquitous."

What the hell is "DRY"? Why can't you just PROGRAM? We didn't need any of these "patterns", "principles" practices or who-the-hell-knows-what-else when we cracked software protections or coded intros and demos... 28 years later and coding on UNIX we still don't, and software runs just fine.

No "industry best practice" or methodology will help if you if don't have what it takes. I know the "Hacker" "News" posse hates to read it, but sometimes one just needs a good kick in the rear end to wake up; the rest won't make it.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

mise_en_place 10 minutes ago [flagged] [dead] | parent | context | flag | vouch | favorite | on: Former PM Abe Shinzo dies after being shot

Strange. Must have owed a lot of money to some unsavory characters. At least that’s what my knowledge of old Japanese films and anime tells me. (Yakuza in case you can’t tell).

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

fritz posted:

mise_en_place 10 minutes ago [flagged] [dead] | parent | context | flag | vouch | favorite | on: Former PM Abe Shinzo dies after being shot

Strange. Must have owed a lot of money to some unsavory characters. At least that’s what my knowledge of old Japanese films and anime tells me. (Yakuza in case you can’t tell).

how is this person alive and able to function and type posts

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

4lokos basilisk posted:

how is this person alive and able to function and type posts

because they don't owe money to unsavory characters (Yakuza in case you can't tell)

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Qwertycoatl posted:

hn thread: unsavory characters (Yakuza in case you can't tell)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
lol

https://twitter.com/HNStatus/status/1545409429113229312

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
backup to the VM!

beauty queen breakdown
Dec 21, 2010

partially cromulent posting.
"2021's worst kept secret"

HN Is Up Again

And Nothing Of Value Was Gained™

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

roamerz 1 hour ago | prev [–]

I was going to reflect on how a gun that resembled an iphone might affect this conversation. I did a quick search and saw that they are easily available. So now as a Police Officer when someone takes a phone out of there pocket you have to immediately assess the risk. Am I going to be shot or recorded? Being in law enforcement is getting more dangerous by the day. drat.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

roamerz 1 hour ago | prev [–]

I was going to reflect on how a gun that resembled an iphone might affect this conversation. I did a quick search and saw that they are easily available. So now as a Police Officer when someone takes a phone out of there pocket you have to immediately assess the risk. Am I going to be shot or recorded? Being in law enforcement is getting more dangerous by the day. drat.

the obvious winning strategy here is to popularize iphone cases that look like guns

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

myko 2 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

A modification of a decades old meme popularized on the defunct SomethingAwful.com forums
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=omgwtfbbq%21

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

a random commenter actually figured out why both the primary and secondary servers went down at the same time and it’s kind of interesting: too much uptime!

https://twitter.com/jonahedwards/status/1545648218158993409?s=21&t=5aC4NhY4OBqkCdGnonperw

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

FCKGW posted:

a random commenter actually figured out why both the primary and secondary servers went down at the same time and it’s kind of interesting: too much uptime!

https://twitter.com/jonahedwards/status/1545648218158993409?s=21&t=5aC4NhY4OBqkCdGnonperw

lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

I imagine that's one of those things like that bug in one bios company's bios where it wouldn't recognize the MBT and refuse to boot if it had partition sizes that weren't divisible by some number in the late 90's where if you were affected by it you're definitely going to remember it forever

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 9, 2022

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
lol that loving owns

also it reminds me of how people mix their hdds from different batches when building storage

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
hoisted by my own uptime!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol that loving owns

also it reminds me of how people mix their hdds from different batches when building storage

that was less "people" and more "enterprise storage vendors" or so ive been lead to believe. not sure if they do it any more but the idea is that you'd stagger the MTBF of the drives so that they'd potentially fail months apart instead of weeks apart.