Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

cloud->mgs5 snake & tifa(?)->quiet mods, i think

different booby ladies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

haveblue posted:

the shame of your words and deeds

:hmmyes:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

cloud->mgs5 snake & tifa(?)->quiet mods, i think

you think you've answered the question but you haven't

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The Fool posted:

you think you've answered the question but you haven't

shameful

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PIZZA.BAT posted:

how much did you play? i can see it not really catching on if you didn’t make it to when the main loop makes itself known but if you made it past that and still aren’t into it then it’s probably not for you

not enough to enter the loop

couldn’t work out how to launch rocket at the start lol

but I really have heard such good things, I am prepared to persist with it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
literally went back and re-ran the shiva encounter just to grab the tunes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPEvwhYwiGo

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i watched some gameplay the last time you posted about that game and the level up jingle is positively pavlovian

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

literally went back and re-ran the shiva encounter just to grab the tunes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPEvwhYwiGo

all the primal themes are great and the ones with lyrics usually tell the story of the primal in questions. it's a shame the power creep on gear allows most groups to kill them before the music gets going

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kuvo posted:

all the primal themes are great and the ones with lyrics usually tell the story of the primal in questions. it's a shame the power creep on gear allows most groups to kill them before the music gets going

agreed. more full-party trusts when

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Ciaphas posted:

agreed. more full-party trusts when

apparently they are a bitch to program the ai for so probably not soon

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I played final fantasy 7 all the way thru and also 8
a
bit

would I like any other

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

echinopsis posted:

not enough to enter the loop

couldn’t work out how to launch rocket at the start lol

but I really have heard such good things, I am prepared to persist with it

ah. make sure you do *every* tutorial at the beginning as the game is very efficient in terms of gameplay mechanics so everything there is important to understand. that includes flying the model rocket :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

that model rocket is a loving son of a bitch

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah the model rocket is actually way harder to fly than the real spaceship

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

echinopsis posted:

a
bit

would I like any other

i love 9 but i was a 16 year old hydro addict the last time i played it. the only other one i tried is 10

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

if you grab 9 on pc, there's an incredibly thoughtful ml-upscale project called moguri mod where they also redid the alpha masks, hand retouched up scales if results weren't right, and expanding the viewport for modern displays

i had a fit of nostalgia and grabbed 9 and the mod on my desktop and chrono cross on switch and frankly its a testament to the fan work on 9 compared to an official rerelease of a game from the same era from square

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PIZZA.BAT posted:

ah. make sure you do *every* tutorial at the beginning as the game is very efficient in terms of gameplay mechanics so everything there is important to understand. that includes flying the model rocket :v:

good advice thanks

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

echinopsis posted:

a
bit

would I like any other

I liked X and it's one of the more mechanically interesting ones too (the levelling system is catnip for me). X-2 and 12 I remember enjoying but I think that was mostly me being a nerdy teen, 12 especially is way too slow paced.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis posted:

a
bit

would I like any other
i liked the gamieness of 5. but you should deffo try 6. good mechanics with some dumb broken stuff and interesting characters/story

i have 9 since ps3 days but haven't ever had the time to really get into it. but it's supposably pretty good

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you want to play them all at once just play 14 :haw:

fr though 9 and X are notbad, notbad. i hated 8. 7 is too long in the tooth but the story and materia system is iCoNiC

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

echinopsis posted:

a
bit

would I like any other

If you liked 7 then you will probably like 9

6 is the best of the old-school FF games, but it just doesn't click with some people so don't worry if it doesn't do anything for you

people who like 8 are weird

10 is very love it or hate it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i liked pretty much all of them up until 13 and 15, never played the mmos

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

i liked pretty much all of them up until 13 and 15, never played the mmos

15 is a ton of fun until they literally put you on rails

because they ran out of money lmao

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

a
bit

would I like any other

play 10… it’s a laugh

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

if you grab 9 on pc, there's an incredibly thoughtful ml-upscale project called moguri mod where they also redid the alpha masks, hand retouched up scales if results weren't right, and expanding the viewport for modern displays

i had a fit of nostalgia and grabbed 9 and the mod on my desktop and chrono cross on switch and frankly its a testament to the fan work on 9 compared to an official rerelease of a game from the same era from square

I find it hard to believe that they don't have source materials backed up somewhere. but that's what they claim

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
There's also an unannounced remake of ff9 secretly in development that showed up in a leak a while back

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

akadajet posted:

I find it hard to believe that they don't have source materials backed up somewhere. but that's what they claim

right? developers dig out partial source for games all the time, stuck on old drives in their garage, but somehow the entirety of this one disappeared from everywhere

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

right? developers dig out partial source for games all the time, stuck on old drives in their garage, but somehow the entirety of this one disappeared from everywhere

I’d imagine it might take a lot of work to get that stuff back online

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

10 is good, instead of playing the game you can just grind blitzball.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

10 is good, instead of playing the game you can just grind blitzball.

blitzball is the worst part of 10

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I like the music in 10. the ost is relaxing

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

akadajet posted:

blitzball is the worst part of 10
i liked blitzball :shobon: but i haven’t played it since i was like 17 so maybe it’s real bad actually

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
apparently some guy laughs really hard in 10

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

10 has a great place where you cam just stop if you arent vibing with it. Yuna even says “this upcoming section is a long boring slog where many people give up”

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

10 has a great place where you cam just stop if you arent vibing with it. Yuna even says “this upcoming section is a long boring slog where many people give up”

Like all FF games, it would benefit from being like 75% shorter and actually believing in its own mechanics

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

What was the part that FFX slowed down at? I thought it was a fairly well paced game. It's a JRPG, the story is supposed to be 20+ hours.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

What was the part that FFX slowed down at? I thought it was a fairly well paced game. It's a JRPG, the story is supposed to be 20+ hours.

thunder plains, its not that it slows down there but yuna just coming out and saying that wouldnt help someone who wasn’t used to jrpg pacing’s motivation

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

it slows down when it asks you to press this button:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

thunder plains, its not that it slows down there but yuna just coming out and saying that wouldnt help someone who wasn’t used to jrpg pacing’s motivation

I don’t remember that at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

:pwn:

Yuna isn't even there for the thunder plains section.