Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Terper posted:

The first time you meet that person.

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I havent played the first game since it came out but it's sounding like I should do a replay TBH

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Nyoro posted:

I havent played the first game since it came out but it's sounding like I should do a replay TBH

Same honestly. A lot of the finer details have leaked out of my memory. I mostly just remember The Twist and the parts that made me cry involving Mayumi.

Uchikoshi really likes to write emotional story pieces around parent & child relationships.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Same honestly. A lot of the finer details have leaked out of my memory. I mostly just remember The Twist and the parts that made me cry involving Mayumi.

Uchikoshi really likes to write emotional story pieces around parent & child relationships.

I only vaguely remember Date's somnium but I'm still pretty sure it's still my favorite out of both games combined

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Such timeless and relatable family moments as (Somnium Files) my mother is suffering from a gut-wrenching mentally debilitating disease that will only get worse and I can't deal with having to take responsibility, (Nirvana Initiative) I'd do anything for my son, even illegal business, but that very business is jeopardizing everything we have and I'm too proud to give up my career, and (Zero Time Dilemma) my father is a 70 year old man in a 25 year old man's body who built a robot copy of my mother before he met her and then teleported me to an alternate timeline in which I was raised by my adoptive mother, who is also myself and about 60 years old, from infancy to about 20 years old, and that's when I finally met my twin brother for the first time, who is 125.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The secret spice to the Date family is that everyone in it is incredibly tsundere and it makes everyone cute as heck.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Replay the last game? I gotta replay THIS game!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Really not a fan of how they replaced blood with endless amounts of dick jokes for this game. They're really starting to get on my nerves.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/SpikeChunsoft_e/status/1545395354165723136?s=20&t=3l4D4mnIyLH0_5gI4HdzvQ

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Finished it! Most of my complaints match what's already been said but I thought it was pretty decent overall.

Genuinely kind of bummed that they changed Mizuki's superpower explanation away from "Grandpa was raised by dolphins", though

Ryanbomber fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 8, 2022

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/sigmacatdilemma/status/1545531490137767938?t=4bFgvUCBs61vBurkMdLYdw&s=19

if you know, you know :v:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Don't have the energy to play right now, so dug up a CD player to play my CE OST. Got some bangers on it

btw here have a bragpost

I sold the xbone copy at little higher than msrp to cover shipping and marketplace fees, so I hope the person I sold it to kept it instead of reselling it :unsmith:

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Was Dahlia ever explained? Just a little confused why he used that instead of Uru

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Was Dahlia ever explained? Just a little confused why he used that instead of Uru

there's like six different meanings/takeways from dahlia boat, such as (massive spoilers):

- converting the word boat in to 2 15 1 20, or 2/15 12:00, when the missile was going to launch
- run the name through a rot12 cipher to get 'help me fsex' (fsex being considered a stand in for "mom")
- the fray to free youtube videos were uploaded by "db"
- db looks like a symbol that's been cut down the middle
- we know Uru played adventure/puzzle games like zero escape, so the word boat could be a 999 reference and dahlia could be an ace attorney reference
- we know uchikoshi likes anagrams, and if you rearrange the letters in dahlia boat you get ialdabaoth, the demiurge, a being in gnosticism who believes himself to be the one and only god (while not realizing there is a higher plane above him); functionally a false almighty
- as far as in universe meanings go, we can also assume that it was Uru's attempt at setting up his own iteration of the nil number like his mother did so he, too, could reach moksha, but his attempt failed while hers "succeeded" because the code word was never given to him, while ryuki eventually "remembers" the word it's never given to Uru and Uru is potentially already dead at that point

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Mix. posted:

there's like six different meanings/takeways from dahlia boat, such as (massive spoilers):

- converting the word boat in to 2 15 1 20, or 2/15 12:00, when the missile was going to launch
- run the name through a rot12 cipher to get 'help me fsex' (fsex being considered a stand in for "mom")
- we know Uru played adventure/puzzle games like zero escape, so the word boat could be a 999 reference and dahlia could be an ace attorney reference
- we know uchikoshi likes anagrams, and if you rearrange the letters in dahlia boat you get ialdabaoth, the demiurge, a being in gnosticism who believes himself to be the one and only god (while not realizing there is a higher plane above him); functionally a false almighty
- as far as in universe meanings go, we can also assume that it was Uru's attempt at setting up his own iteration of the nil number like his mother did so he, too, could reach moksha, but his attempt failed while hers "succeeded" because the code word was never given to him, while ryuki eventually "remembers" the word it's never given to Uru and Uru is potentially already dead at that point

-dahlia also refers to the black dahlia case, a murder case where a woman was bisected at the waist
-"boat" can also potentially refer to the "row row row your boat" nursery rhyme which ends in "life is but a dream"
-dahlia can also be yet another ZE reference since a black dahlia is the flower Phi has in her hair in VLR
-your last point can potentially also be a trigger for Tokiko to go all in with her plan, basically tokiko telling tearer to give those two names in different timelines and then using that to just be a signal that you're on the "dahlia boat" timeline and proceed to bisect herself

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Dang, guess I expected some heavy handed exposition with regard to that, but its cool that they wanted you to make those connections yourself.

I finished the game last night and I basically agree with everything thats been said and I feel like it's not as memorable. Being more focused on characters and their relationships is cool but not as impactful. The twist is some M Night Shamalyn level of "oh i see" and didn't really change the dynamic or anything compared to AI1.

I do gotta say the best things are Iris's wink psynchs and the rail gun.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Surprised to hear so many people down on the sequel. I’ve only heard that it’s an improvement over the first game. I haven’t played it yet - trying to avoid spoilers - but I really liked the Somnium Files, lacking only (IMO) particularly batshit and wild twists and turns. I was admittedly a little disappointed with how tame the first game was.

Sounds like this one is more of the same in that sense? Uchikoshi’s going soft, I guess :v: Think I might pick this up anyway, when it goes on sale.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Pollyanna posted:

Surprised to hear so many people down on the sequel. I’ve only heard that it’s an improvement over the first game. I haven’t played it yet - trying to avoid spoilers - but I really liked the Somnium Files, lacking only (IMO) particularly batshit and wild twists and turns. I was admittedly a little disappointed with how tame the first game was.

Sounds like this one is more of the same in that sense? Uchikoshi’s going soft, I guess :v: Think I might pick this up anyway, when it goes on sale.

I personally am not down on the sequel, I prefer to see it as the difference between, say, an 8/10 game and a 9/10 game. One is better, but both are good, and neither will be time wasted. I had a great time with it, and I'm glad Uchikoshi is still making stories.

Out of respect for avoiding spoilers I'll only say that I preferred the first AI as a complete package. AI2 has good character work and on the whole better somnium gameplay but it didn't quite come together, for me, to give it the edge over it's predecessor once the credits roll and I take some time to mull it over. Still worth every penny.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I liked this game more than the first, though I dunno how fair that is because I didn't play the first game very recently

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I'd still say Nirvana Initiative is good, it's just the kinda story you develop some nitpicks for when you marinate on it

I'd be down for an AI 3, but also I think I'd like to see Uchikoshi do another original thing. I think when he writes a story as a standalone, he's at his best, but he kinda stumbles a bit when he tries to sequel them out.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I think someone already went over it but the somniums in AI2 were just trial and error and didn't really go into the whole dream logic thing the way the first game did, which was so unique.

Also, Uru's being escape rooms made me feel kinda like them experimenting with zero escape style rooms in 3d space so I hope he works on another thing instead of AI3. I think I'm good on jpop endings now, even though I loved the bit with Lien.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I think someone already went over it but the somniums in AI2 were just trial and error and didn't really go into the whole dream logic thing the way the first game did, which was so unique.

Also, Uru's being escape rooms made me feel kinda like them experimenting with zero escape style rooms in 3d space so I hope he works on another thing instead of AI3. I think I'm good on jpop endings now, even though I loved the bit with Lien.

One of the bonuses for completing the game is literally the first escape room from 999, with Aiba filling in for Junpei. 3d remake teaser? Experiment for a new game? Or just fooling around?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Mix. posted:

Sounds like a guy on the street trying to explain numerology or something to me

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

lordfrikk posted:

Sounds like a guy on the street trying to explain numerology or something to me

that is literally 2/3 of the characters in any game uchikoshi makes :v:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Meiteron posted:

I personally am not down on the sequel, I prefer to see it as the difference between, say, an 8/10 game and a 9/10 game. One is better, but both are good, and neither will be time wasted. I had a great time with it, and I'm glad Uchikoshi is still making stories.

Out of respect for avoiding spoilers I'll only say that I preferred the first AI as a complete package. AI2 has good character work and on the whole better somnium gameplay but it didn't quite come together, for me, to give it the edge over it's predecessor once the credits roll and I take some time to mull it over. Still worth every penny.
Exactly my ratings/overall assessment too. I think most of it works and the mystery/twist is a good step up from the first game even if it's not as elegantly implemented but there are just enough unforced errors or things that could've been done better/tighter that it'll sit a rung below the first game for me. If nothing else I am glad Uchikoshi was finally able to make a direct sequel that is decent enough and wraps up well enough so even if a hypothetical AI3 comes along it won't have the VLR problem of having its ending undercut by its underwhelming own sequel.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

VLR made the mistake of going really hard on foreshadowing for the next game, and it seems like he changed plans in the middle of ZTD (which is understandable given how long it took for the game to actually get greenlit) so all that setup ended up mostly just disappointing everyone

AI is trying to be much more self-contained, which is working to its benefit for stuff like this. The only real "oh, this is for the sequel" thing that jumped out at me is the existence of Marco, which is pretty open-ended and should be easy to fit into a theoretical AI3, so it's not going to run into the same problem

(AI2 ending) The one thing that does bother me is Bibi. I have no idea how they can bring her back in AI3 and make it satisfying if they're going to keep the "no spoiling old games" thing going. Are they gonna put her in the mask for the entire game?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The big issue with ZTD is that the original ZE3 Uchikoshi was going to make got cancelled due to low sales in Japan and it took a lot of begging and several years for ZTD to even exist, so it seems like even then, it was a pretty compromised product and the original plans either could not be realized or had changed.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Glad that Uchikoshi seems to have found something of a niche in the west now.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Honestly even if the execution flags now and then I just want to see the man dream up more crazy twists.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I do hope he learned a lesson with this one when it comes to covering major story twists from previous games, AI 2's attempts to gloss over anything meaningful from the first game wound up pleasing no one and stuff like AI 2's Bibi would be extremely tedious to dance around in a hypothetical AI 3.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah probably my biggest complaint about the game is that it has quite a few concessions to spoiler-free mode that actively harm the story, characters, and game. And it absolutely can't stand on it's own without knowledge of the first game anyway, a lot of the high points of the game involve stuff from the last game so all those concessions just seem worse than useless.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I mean it depends on where you are looking for information online. There absolutely is a cult of personality around Uchikoshi online and there are certainly people who think he can do no wrong.

It also depends on what you are looking for I guess. I am noticing a pretty distinct correlation between people who were able to enjoy ZTD and people who really like AI2.

Its a pants on head stupid romp and the plot falls apart like sand in your hands if you spend more than 10 minutes thinking about it. Some people can enjoy that and some people cant. It does have a lot of the great character moments and charm of the first game, though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/lunarfrosts/status/1543465574855876609

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

even ztd is like a 7/10 at worst. dude makes good games

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, ZTD was not the game we were promised and it has very obvious issues but I still enjoyed it. I wouldn't really say AI2 has Issues, I would say it's more underwhelming than anything else.

I'll say my biggest gripe with AI2 is that it takes forever for anything to feel like an accomplishment. It feels like there are dozens of scenes (mostly with Ryuki) that end with "well we learned absolutely nothing here, let's try somewhere else" just for the exact same thing to happen again. By the end of the game he and Tama are there with everyone else in their victory dance, but it didn't really feel like he ended up contributing that much.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
I feel like AI2 rehashes too many recurring jokes from the first game without really adding any new ones.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

An Actual Princess posted:

even ztd is like a 7/10 at worst. dude makes good games

Extremely respectfully disagree lol

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

ztd doesn't do well at being a sequel to vlr but it still has a lot of really fun moments and great escape room puzzles. i still had a fun time with it overall

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

if you forget that it's supposed to be the final game and don't expect it to wrap up anything from vlr, ztd is actually really fun in an over the top way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/seacrowns/status/1544337192763408384?s=20&t=q_spydEXOMYi5mdQeBs8zw