Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

okay well thats certainly a plot twist

i was thinking it was either caffeinated jerkoff or neverhelm because i was assuming scum would be among the people who voted wologar and were pushing hardest for cloacamazing and yes that group includes me

i guess now we have to see if anyone counterclaims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Is that so? In other words, according to you, either Bucnasti or Jade are scum then. Though I find it a bit strange that you were that confident in the Godfather theory that you voted out

Personally, I'm not entirely sure I believe this just yet. I will give people time to respond before I decide. I did have my suspicions about who the Cop might be given yesterday's posts, and it wasn't you.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
*that you voted out Cloacamazing, even dropping the hammer+.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Caffeinated Jerkoff posted:

wologar isn't double and tripling down, they've retracted their vote and are speculating about what would happen if all of their suspicions were wrong, and what would happen if they and/or Plastic got voted out

"what if wologar is a cop" feels like grasping at straws. If they want to claim it, they can do that

i suppose this makes me look at this post in another light

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

Yeah voting for Cloacamazing was a big fuckup on my part. I wavered basically that whole day between claiming to defend her and voting for her. I ended up landing on voting for her, because I'd been suspicious of her since mid Day 2, and didn't have any other scum reads I was more confident in.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

NeverHelm posted:

Is that so? In other words, according to you, either Bucnasti or Jade are scum then. Though I find it a bit strange that you were that confident in the Godfather theory that you voted out

Personally, I'm not entirely sure I believe this just yet. I will give people time to respond before I decide. I did have my suspicions about who the Cop might be given yesterday's posts, and it wasn't you.

100% understandable to have doubt because of that. I really shouldn't have let the possibility of a godfather influence whether or not I believed the information I got from my role.

If it helps, my day 2 "scum want us to vote green wing or neverhelm here" take was mainly from my investigation result from checking you. It's also evidence that I have a habit of impulsively believing theories that only hold up under very specific conditions :v:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Does the cop investigation only give someones alignment and not their role?

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Well poo poo. I checked the thread after hanging out with my cousin yesterday, and, like... five votes to eliminate cast when only four where needed. And then the best read just... was ordinary town. And now the most pumped up poster is gone. (Though I hope she's doing fine wherever she's gone off to.)

I'm... really not sure what to make of CJ's claim? For one thing, like, even if saying it "was a fuckup", that jump in was the fifth vote when four were needed. An incredibly last minute hurling on to the majority. For another, their early game was a lot of "step into the killer's shoes" stuff that didn't really help any of us. And also, for the last two people left alive... I know I'm town, and I think Bucnasti probably is actually the remaining mason. So if CJ is actually telling the truth here, then everyone's reading town and thus someone's the godfather, which means the report doesn't... tell us anything. Right?

But NeverHelm seems to think someone else is the cop, but nobody's counterclaiming. So... I don't know.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Yeah voting for Cloacamazing was a big fuckup on my part. I wavered basically that whole day between claiming to defend her and voting for her. I ended up landing on voting for her, because I'd been suspicious of her since mid Day 2, and didn't have any other scum reads I was more confident in.

Well, you could have just, you know, not voted. And let the rest of us do it. I mean, in this case it was pretty obvious it was going to happen. And there was plenty of time left in the day.

Bucnasti posted:

Most of the time, this is the case from what I understand. Often, this power is given to a separate "Rolecop", which tends to be (but not always) a Mafia role.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Bucnasti posted:

I think that's generally how it works, right? Getting a full look at someone's role card would be kinda game breaking.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Jadecore posted:

But NeverHelm seems to think someone else is the cop, but nobody's counterclaiming. So... I don't know.
Someone in particular, yes.

I was thinking that this person had checked Cloacamazing, but didn't want to reveal it yesterday because it would incriminate them if they defended someone the thread was clearly about to lunch. It would explain some things I found odd on a re-read. But if I'm wrong and that person doesn't claim, I might just have to assume CJ is telling the truth here.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

Jadecore posted:

Well poo poo. I checked the thread after hanging out with my cousin yesterday, and, like... five votes to eliminate cast when only four where needed. And then the best read just... was ordinary town. And now the most pumped up poster is gone. (Though I hope she's doing fine wherever she's gone off to.)

I'm... really not sure what to make of CJ's claim? For one thing, like, even if saying it "was a fuckup", that jump in was the fifth vote when four were needed. An incredibly last minute hurling on to the majority. For another, their early game was a lot of "step into the killer's shoes" stuff that didn't really help any of us. And also, for the last two people left alive... I know I'm town, and I think Bucnasti probably is actually the remaining mason. So if CJ is actually telling the truth here, then everyone's reading town and thus someone's the godfather, which means the report doesn't... tell us anything. Right?

I didn't see Bucnasti's vote come in before I posted. I imagine Bucnasti and I must've posted within like 15 seconds of one another.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

I mean, I still find CJ's story a little hard to believe. But I found a lot of people's stories hard to believe and voted accordingly, and they ended up being town. So...

I didn't see Bucnasti's vote come in before I posted. I imagine Bucnasti and I must've posted within like 15 seconds of one another.

Yeah, those votes were so close the bot didn't seem to react properly.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

I don't think we're likely to see a counterclaim, because it'd be suicide. They'd have to thread the needle between claiming I'm lying and convincing town to vote for someone who isn't me, so my role card doesn't flip and reveal that they're lying.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Well... Caffeinated Jerkoff did vote both Lupus and Plastic so... I guess that's a point in their favor.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

With only five of us remaining.
There's at least 1 scum
1 Mason (me)
1 Doctor or other town defensive role
and CJ is claiming to be a cop

That leaves 1 person to be either a second scum or a vanilla town.

I'm not completely sure what to do with this information.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

NeverHelm posted:

Well... Caffeinated Jerkoff did vote both Lupus and Plastic so... I guess that's a point in their favor.

That's... true. I think most of us did?

I'll be honest CJ was next on my line of suspicion before this and now I don't know what to think.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Say, CJ. I was wondering something. Earlier, when we were going up against Plastic, you said the following:

doctor can't protect themselves
Why?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

if cj isnt the cop that means he would be betting the game on there not being an actual cop, because even if someone counterclaims and gets voted out, he'd be getting voted out the next day. seems like a really big risk

thats assuming theres 1 scum left. but if theres 2 scum left it also seems like a big risk to take when theyre that close to winning

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

I agree. But I want to be completely sure.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

NeverHelm posted:

Say, CJ. I was wondering something. Earlier, when we were going up against Plastic, you said the following:

Why?

It could vary by moderator, but that's how the doctor works according to the samafia wiki and mafia discussion thread OP.

mafia discussion thread OP posted:

● Doctor - Protects one person from a night kill. Typically cannot target themselves or the same person twice in a row.

I posted it fast hoping that it would prevent the potential real doctor from accidentally outing themselves

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

I see. That makes sense.

Well the person I expected to counterclaim, hasn't. So I guess I'm going to have to assume I was wrong, and CJ is the real Cop then.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

NeverHelm posted:

I see. That makes sense.

Well the person I expected to counterclaim, hasn't. So I guess I'm going to have to assume I was wrong, and CJ is the real Cop then.

If you're talking about me because I wanted more discussion time, sorry. I'm not a cop.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

That leaves me with three possibilities then. Bucnasti, Jadecore, or the possibility that there actually is a Mafia Godfather after all and cuntman is scum. But I'd rather not go down that last rabbit hole just yet. So there are really only two choices.

Jadecore posted:

If you're talking about me because I wanted more discussion time, sorry. I'm not a cop.

Yes, it is exactly you I was thinking of. Both because of your reluctance to vote, and how you suddenly brought up the proper strategy for when Cops should claim. Reading those posts made me suspect you might be Cop. Quite strongly in fact. But you haven't reacted to my prodding at all.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

NeverHelm posted:

Yes, it is exactly you I was thinking of. Both because of your reluctance to vote, and how you suddenly brought up the proper strategy for when Cops should claim. Reading those posts made me suspect you might be Cop. Quite strongly in fact. But you haven't reacted to my prodding at all.

Yeah, I can totally get that, but, like. I'm not, so I'm not going to say that I am. I was largely asking because we were getting down to a notably low amount of people, so I figured that since a cop hadn't turned up flipped, they should probably have a good list, and wanted to figure out if I should be expecting someone to say it or if I needed to start doing close readings of who people seemed suspicious of.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

well if we assume that cj is the cop, all this tells us is that cj isnt scum. by my own logic that makes me the next most suspicious so i guess that means im screwed v:v:v

my next guess was neverhelm but that would mean they were working with plastic automaton on some sort of crazy puppetmaster scheme and they had it running since day 2. that just seems way too early for that, with not much benefit. maybe it would explain why plastic automaton seemed to be slacking off a bit that day but i dont know

my only other guess is jadecore just because shes done a good job of staying under the radar. people have been suspicious of her before but it never lasted long

neverhelm being scum would really be the funniest possible option though. im imagining all the dead townspeople in heaven screaming at us to vote them since the beginning and all the dead scum laughing at us from hell

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Ok. Crackpot theory time. Feel free to stop me if this sounds too insane.

CJ claimed really early in the day. Like, right away. As if they were in a hurry.

Why would they be in a hurry?

Because someone else had hinted at being Cop, and was going to try to usurp their role. So they claimed right away, to pre-empt them.

Does that make sense to anyone else?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

im not completely following here but someone counterclaiming would be the best possible scenario because it narrows it down to just 2 people

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Exactly. Which is why they haven't done so now, even though they had originally planned to claim.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

NeverHelm posted:

Ok. Crackpot theory time. Feel free to stop me if this sounds too insane.

CJ claimed really early in the day. Like, right away. As if they were in a hurry.

Why would they be in a hurry?

Because someone else had hinted at being Cop, and was going to try to usurp their role. So they claimed right away, to pre-empt them.

Does that make sense to anyone else?

Okay see, I see the thread of your logic there. I can even get where it's coming from. The problem is: I'm both not a cop and was never planning to claim that, and am town, so I know it's incorrect. I don't have, like, evidence, unfortunately. But it's not right.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Sorry. Its just... The only other options, if we believe CJ, is to assume that Bucnasti is a master actor playing an insane long con, or that cuntman is Godfather.

I don't want to think you're scum, Jade. But it seems like the reasonable conclusion here.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Or from the perspective of the rest of you, me being Godfather and a master actor playing an insane long con.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

NeverHelm posted:

Sorry. Its just... The only other options, if we believe CJ, is to assume that Bucnasti is a master actor playing an insane long con, or that cuntman is Godfather.

I don't want to think you're scum, Jade. But it seems like the reasonable conclusion here.

No I totally get that! That's the problem! From your perspective, this would make total sense! It's just that I[ know that it's incorrect because I'm not scum. But I don't really have any way to prove that.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

whichever one of you is scum deserves to win at this point

neverhelm for the super long term puppetmaster con

jadecore for completely staying under the radar the entire game

bucnasti for going under all the scrutiny without letting anything slip

caffeinated jerkoff for taking a huge risk and having it pay off

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

What's your take on this, Caffeinated Jerkoff?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I feel like if there's only one scum left town will probably still win, even if we vote out a townie today.
If there are two scum, then I think we're screwed, but I also think if there were two scum, one of them would counterclaim CJ.

All my thoughts just keep coming around in circles and rely on whether or not CJ is telling the truth.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

I also generally read Jadecore as town, so I'm hesitant to jump on this. But following the 'Jadecore could have been setting up a claim' line of reasoning, these two posts seem like the same move but for Doctor instead of Cop:

Jadecore posted:

This may be a weird point, but don't Doctors have to successfully mindmeld with scum to pick the person they think scum will target that night? It's obviously extremely powerful, but if there's enough roulette elements to it, couldn't scum just gamble, not kill theoretical Doctor Plastic, and then let town flip him the next day if their kill goes through? ...I mean that's taking a lot of chance and not playing optimally, but as strictly a mind game bamboozler play it could throw people off.

That being said, it's a really dramatic claim. I feel like a counterclaim would be very dangerous if Plastic is scum, and while Cloaca has been on my list of possibly suspicious, Plastic has the much more... active air. I don't want to move my vote for the moment.

Jadecore posted:

I get what you're saying but also this feels dependent on the doctor having those self sacrifice instincts and being online and also I think something's weird about the logic here?

And I hit preview after stepping away for a moment and glance down and we have undergone a complete circle throw, so I'm just gonna stay where I am, thanks.

I noticed these posts formed a sort of implied claim when I was trying to figure out who Green Wing thought the doctor was after voting Plastic on Day 3. That said, it's all sort of circumstantial, and it would be odd for scum to attempt the same setup twice.

I agree that Jadecore seems like the most likely pick from the evidence we've got from my investigation results. Since the possibility of a godfather isn't really an actionable thing, I think it's the best option we've got. I don't like it, but I don't think anything more obvious is going to turn up, either.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Ok then. Since we seem to be mostly in agreement about Jade then, I'll ##vote Jadecore. To be honest, I don't think anyone could convince me to vote otherwise because I have trouble seeing it as anyone else given your report.
If you are conning us I'm not even going to be mad. Because that would be a masterful play.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

I... don't really have anything I can give you. I honestly think the most plausible solution here is cuntman being godfather. If CJ is telling the truth and had investigated me instead last night, we'd be in opposite positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

I'd be lying if I said I felt good about this vote. But assuming someone is Godfather when there's another, more plausible option is too far of a leap for me.