Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Fingats are overrated, anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Uthor posted:

Everything I hear is how roundabouts are safer, and I for them, but there's a pair of them on my way to work (one on each side of the highway for the on/off ramps) and they are double lane roundabouts and EVERY DAY I see people enter the roundabout and immediately change lanes while going around. Thankfully, it's only been a close call a couple of times the 8 months I've been working there.

There's another one that I hit when I decide to avoid the highway due to traffic that is right after a stop light intersection. So, I have to wait for a green light before entering. What's the point?!

they cause glancing crashes.... usually, so there's fewer injuries.

They also cause a lot of stupid people to destroy their cars in drunk driving incidents

https://youtube.com/c/MilwaukeeRoundabout

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ChesterJT posted:

I'm not even sure what this one is meant to do:
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7116870746399378734

Very large and very slow lathe.

Someone get that poor man a leaf blower.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

VectorSigma posted:

So here's a thing I didn't know existed until today, and it has me wondering what horrors it may be capable of producing:

Ah yes, the "Groovy Grape" has a much finer, more sophisticated nose to it than the "Strawberry Blast". The grape contains hints of spice in the top of the bouquet, with earthy tones of vanillin and high notes of caramel, whereas the SB has more of an overall "Tin Man's festering scrote" metallic back-of-the-throat thing happening. Important to know in advance what sort of sophistication you're wading into when you're getting your Fuel Fragrance huff on.

(Seriously, what the gently caress.)

Edit: Did a little digging and found a snowmobile forum thread discussing it...a few people wtf-ing and a few more saying "yeah, this stuff's great because it smells nice and your throat and nose don't burn so much while you're working on an engine!" :yikes:

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 11, 2022

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

You would think that robot arms would have "if cannot complete action, return to first position and try again" programming

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

aas Bandit posted:

Ah yes, the "Groovy Grape" has a much finer, more sophisticated nose to it than the "Strawberry Blast". The grape contains hints of spice in the top of the bouquet, with earthy tones of vanillin and high notes of caramel, whereas the SB has more of an overall "Tin Man's festering scrote" metallic back-of-the-throat thing happening. Important to know in advance what sort of sophistication you're wading into when you're getting your Fuel Fragrance huff on.

(Seriously, what the gently caress.)

Edit: Did a little digging and found a snowmobile forum thread discussing it...a few people wtf-ing and a few more saying "yeah, this stuff's great because it smells nice and your throat and nose don't burn so much while you're working on an engine!" :yikes:

"I thought it was safe to light up a cig. All I done smelt was some grape stuff, not no gasoline vapor. Now I look like a wax model of Freddy Krueger that's started to melt."

Not to mention that one of the best diagnostic tools for any internal combustion engine is your nose. Seems fair to me that if you don't like the smell of fuel, you probably chose the wrong hobby.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

SuddenCactus posted:

You would think that robot arms would have "if cannot complete action, return to first position and try again" programming
That just results in the victim being repeatedly bludgeoned instead of being trapped.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

How many cars need to be unloaded before this thing pays for itself vs the cars with a trapdoor on the bottom?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Hatter posted:

How many cars need to be unloaded before this thing pays for itself vs the cars with a trapdoor on the bottom?

Probably a few trainloads? Those bottom dump cars are maintenance nightmares, and spill coal constantly. Most of the car rotator is just the big hoops to hold on to everything, the actually mechanics of it are pretty simple.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

SuddenCactus posted:

Nah, they'll plow right through you. That worker was lucky, there are a few videos out there of workers who were not so lucky.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

ChesterJT posted:

Turn your sound on, it’s obviously an industrial phonograph to pump calming music into the factory and keep the workers sedate.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

SuddenCactus posted:

Best practices for a robot would be to stop when it detects a collision, and wait for manual intervention. But that is mostly for robots that are contained within cells and cannot move at all if the cell is open without a person driving it at a slower speed.

This video doesn't look like there is a safety cage around the robot area, and there are certain types of robots and applications where people can work alongside them. These types of robots would move much slower and be much more sensitive to resistance. They may even be and to pushed away by the human workers.

Since multiple people got caught by moving robots on this video, I'd say that their process is seriously lacking laser scanners which could detect people approaching the work area and halt robots.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

ChesterJT posted:

It's the blue chips factory!

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

ChesterJT posted:

It's exhausting, but someone's gotta sweep the unicorn poop off the carousel counterweight.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

VectorSigma posted:

So here's a thing I didn't know existed until today, and it has me wondering what horrors it may be capable of producing:

I used to run strawberry scented 2 stroke oil in a dirt bike. poo poo was awesome

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

iwentdoodie posted:

I used to run strawberry scented 2 stroke oil in a dirt bike. poo poo was awesome

LOL, that rules.

For some reason my vehicles just smell like weed constantly.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/scotfoodjames/status/1546204861309517824?s=21&t=oVpcq7gC4pL1etPQ71de5w

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I sent this to my kid who works in a paper mill. His casual response was, yeah we got something like that

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does the connector between cars rotate somehow or does it disconnect first?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

So like did this dude die because that looks like he died.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hollismason posted:

Scroll forward about seven posts from the one you quoted and you might find out!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Hollismason posted:

One of the other threads had a quote by the guy. He is standing next to the only safe hole, running would have killed him.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Does the connector between cars rotate somehow or does it disconnect first?

I toured a coal power plant once that had one of these, and yeah the connectors pivot on the cars - the cars are designed to expect this.

Also the yard switcher had a wireless remote so one person can stand by the rotating machine and work the whole train. It was pretty well thought out.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Erwin posted:

I toured a coal power plant once that had one of these, and yeah the connectors pivot on the cars - the cars are designed to expect this.

Also the yard switcher had a wireless remote so one person can stand by the rotating machine and work the whole train. It was pretty well thought out.

It's also been a standard thing for about 100 years. It's cool to watch but not particularly OSHA.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

My company has done motor and VFD work on these in the steel mills near our offices. I like watching them.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I think the water spray to reduce coal dust kick up is a nice touch. Probably saves decades of lung life for the people who work there

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Deteriorata posted:

It's also been a standard thing for about 100 years. It's cool to watch but not particularly OSHA.

The OSHA is reflecting on the efforts that must've gone into making it as safe as it is and applying those to other workplaces.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
OSHA's role would be to make rules like "no one is allowed in the pit while the cars are dumping" or "you must get adequate sleep to use the car dumper"

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Cat Hatter posted:

I've just spent a half hour in a fugue state after your reminder about the bottom discharge cars...

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

I think the water spray to reduce coal dust kick up is a nice touch. Probably saves decades of lung life for the people who work there

Be real, that's likely more to keep that precious coal where it's supposed to be, I.e., in the pit and not taken home by the lungful by some freeloading worker.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

DelphiAegis posted:

Be real, that's likely more to keep that precious coal where it's supposed to be, I.e., in the pit and not taken home by the lungful by some freeloading worker.

I'd imagine it's to reduce the chance of giant explosions

urzaserra256
Nov 29, 2009
Explosions are a big one, even things like flour and sugar can cause fuel air explosions if its ground up enough and then dispersed. Also they would want to keep dust under control so it doesnt start getting into the mechanisms and sensors.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

urzaserra256 posted:

Explosions are a big one, even things like flour and sugar can cause fuel air explosions if its ground up enough and then dispersed. Also they would want to keep dust under control so it doesnt start getting into the mechanisms and sensors.

This'll probably get me on a watchlist, but I just googled "wasabi powder" "fuel air explosion" and there are no results. Someone's got to have tried that or at least proposed it before, right?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm sure that could work, you can start a YouTube career with something this silly!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Will wasabi powder burn? I think the principle is that anything that's both combustible and finely grained enough to become airborne can cause an explosion, it's a physical process not a chemical one

vvvvvv I mean, it doesn't depend on what the powder actually is, just whether it ticks the boxes

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 11, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Will wasabi powder burn? I think the principle is that anything that's both combustible and finely grained enough to become airborne can cause an explosion, it's a physical process not a chemical one

Isn't fire a chemical process?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

In addition to explosion hazard, there is a big fire risk attached to having a layer of settled flammable dust coating everything. Sawmills tend to have problems with this. Even if there is no boom, a small fire can get out of hand far faster if you don't have some kind of dust control.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

haveblue posted:

vvvvvv I mean, it doesn't depend on what the powder actually is, just whether it ticks the boxes

Yes, any remotely combustible powder is a fire hazard, an explosive hazard, and likely a breathing hazard. The finer the powder, the worse it is.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Like I said build a miniature wasabi bomb and become a YouTube superstar!
Superstardom not guaranteed, building bombs is frowned upon in many places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

There are so many safer ways to do this oh my God those fingers are not long for this world.