Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

i see we're at the pets dot com dog stage

For a long time as a dumb kid I didn't process that the dot com crash happened because "nah it couldn't have been that bad, that dog was all over TV" so their plan is flawless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

this looks like a sad drugged mold centipede chained to a desk

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
more like buttchain

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

"Creeper from Minecraft"?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
an outspoken puppet you say

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
we're going to make a company mascot!

what shall we make it look like?

how about "miserable and hoping forlornly for death"?

can bitcoiners do anything right

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

fins posted:

Justin Sun update: Grenada's ruling party changed in the recent election. New Government will be recalling all ambassadors.

There is a very high chance that "his excellency" Justin Sun will be stripped of his post. Having drinks with some folks later that will give me a better idea of the timeline.

Also Justin sun update

https://mobile.twitter.com/justinsuntron/status/1546026281266909185

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

the old block and chain

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
they'd be better off with (more) Chinese debt traps

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

they should take this guy to the president's swimming pool and hold his head under until he starts talking sense

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

This is the first time I see this type of wikipedia disclaimer

This is the guy who escaped to Grenada, right?

trucutru fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 11, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

trucutru posted:

This is the first time I see this type of wikipedia disclaimer

This is the guy who escaped to Grenada, right?

yeah there was a verge article about him too i think? everyone they interviewed was afraid he'd have them killed lol

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah there was a verge article about him too i think? everyone they interviewed was afraid he'd have them killed lol

I went and read the article. Lol, the balls on that dude. He needs to move to Russia and then just break all the rules there to finish his international crypto hat trick.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

gee I wonder why all these places dragged their feet so hard on kyc/aml

quote:

LONDON, July 11 (Reuters) - The world's largest crypto exchange, Binance, continued to process trades by clients in Iran despite U.S. sanctions and a company ban on doing business there, a Reuters investigation has found.

In 2018, the United States reimposed sanctions that had been suspended three years earlier as part of Iran's nuclear deal with major world powers. That November, Binance informed traders in Iran it would no longer serve them, telling them to liquidate their accounts.

But in interviews with Reuters, seven traders said they skirted the ban. The traders said they continued to use their Binance accounts until as recently as September last year, only losing access after the exchange tightened its anti-money laundering checks a month earlier. Until that point, customers could trade by registering with just an email address.

"There were some alternatives, but none of them were as good as Binance," said Asal Alizade, a trader in Tehran who said she used the exchange for two years until September 2021. "It didn't need identity verification, so we all used it."

Eleven other people in Iran beyond those interviewed by Reuters said on their LinkedIn profiles that they too traded crypto at Binance after the 2018 ban. None of them responded to questions.

The exchange's popularity in Iran was known inside the company. Senior employees knew of, and joked about, the exchange's growing ranks of Iranian users, according to 10 messages they sent to one another in 2019 and 2020 that are reported here for the first time. "IRAN BOYS," one of them wrote in response to data showing the popularity of Binance on Instagram in Iran.

Binance did not respond to Reuters' questions about Iran. In a March blog post, published in response to Western sanctions on Russia, Binance said it "follows international sanction rules strictly" and had assembled a "global compliance task force, including world-renowned sanctions and law enforcement experts." Binance said it used "banking grade tools" to prevent sanctioned people or entities from using its platform.
this is an excellent way to get just royally owned by the us government

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

qirex posted:

gee I wonder why all these places dragged their feet so hard on kyc/aml

this is an excellent way to get just royally owned by the us government

"banking grade tools" purchased directly from Deutsche Bank's fraud-creation division (I believe it's called "High Interest Transaction Leveraging for Enterprise Relations")

quote:

Lawyers say this structure means Binance is protected from direct U.S. sanctions that ban U.S. firms from doing business in Iran. This is because the traders in Iran used Binance's main exchange, which is not a U.S. company.

One weird trick the world's foremost economic and military superpower HATES!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i haven't used photoshop in a while and had to open it up today, when did they add this bullshit lmao:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i'm morbidly curious as to what this entails. is there a mode that somehow makes images uglier when you save them? or is it about how to automate photoshop actions so that it generates and saves every possible combinations for your layers?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's awesome how big business blockchain projects are launching just as the whole space is falling apart

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
this is why executives get paid the big bucks! they know how to seize an opportunity when they see it, unlike some random peon

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Austrian Post is also planning to launch some NFT stamp bullshit after the success of the "crypto stamps". I hope it burns and dies as hard as the museum selling Klimt NFTs did.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i'm morbidly curious as to what this entails. is there a mode that somehow makes images uglier when you save them? or is it about how to automate photoshop actions so that it generates and saves every possible combinations for your layers?

i like that it's not even "export for NFT", it's learn how to export for NFT. like they didn't bother to make an actual tool for it, they'll just tell you "yeah uh set this and that setting and make it ugly"

someone else click it and see what it does i don't want that gross tied to my computer

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

It's just a bunch of tools to add MetaMask and OpenSea credentials to your ape JPGs.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

qirex posted:

it's awesome how big business blockchain projects are launching just as the whole space is falling apart

i feel like these are all projects that started 8 months ago and now they're ready for production and whoops, nobody cares about that anymore

see also: gamestop's nft marketplace

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
see along: square-enix selling some absolutely plum studios and IPs and then having to immediately deny it was to fund crypto poo poo

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

HappyHippo posted:

i feel like these are all projects that started 8 months ago and now they're ready for production and whoops, nobody cares about that anymore

see also: gamestop's nft marketplace

gotta sell the virtual funkos to go with the real ones.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oh hey we're back under 20k again

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

haveblue posted:

see along: square-enix selling some absolutely plum studios and IPs and then having to immediately deny it was to fund crypto poo poo

they didn’t deny that, they straight up said they wanted to do blockchain poo poo in the press release announcing the sale

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/jul/08/nft-vibes-managers

quote:

To shore things up, NFT projects have turned to a new kind of role: the vibes manager.

Also known at some companies as a “chief vibes officer” or “director of vibes”, the vibes manager is something of a cross between a marketer, influencer and investor relations officer, tasked with promoting NFT projects to newcomers while reassuring existing funders. The goal? To keep things positive, no matter what.

“Vibes are everything,” explained tropoFarmer, a thirtysomething Minnesota resident who was one of the first buyers of Bored Ape Yacht Club NFTs (one of the most hyped and expensive collections) and is an advocate for vibes management. “There are ways that you can swing trade based on the momentum that is, for the most part, built on vibes.”

paump it

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

haveblue posted:

or ubisoft's worthless hat garbage in that rainbow six game which they ended up shutting down like a month after introducing the nfts

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the best part of the ubisoft thing was seeing ubisoft employees on twitter going "please stop embarrassing us" re: corporate

rated AO for altcoins only

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
yeah but then the execs decided to give every employee an exclusive hat nft to make it right

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

or ubisoft's worthless hat garbage in that rainbow six game which they ended up shutting down like a month after introducing the nfts

lol of all games they picked the one that basically already had nfts via cash shop poo poo

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Beeftweeter posted:

https://www.theverge.com/c/22947663/justin-sun-tron-cryptocurrency-poloniex

quote:

BitTorrent’s C-suite executives, just in from San Francisco, were ferried from Hotel Shangri-La in Beijing to a coworking space and led into a glass-enclosed conference room. Sun took the head of the table and read a typed speech, calling himself “Chairman Mao,” telling the C-suite executives they were “his generals” and that, together, they would massacre their competition. “People were feeling uncomfortable and incredulous at the euphemisms and metaphors,” a person who was present said. When Sun finished, BitTorrent’s CEO made a key observation: “Weren’t all of Mao’s generals killed?” To which Sun supposedly confirmed, “Yes, yes.”
lol

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Plank Walker posted:

gives new meaning to "un banked" as well

un, banktually,

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

king poo poo, both the talk and the convention taking the blockchain idiots money and also approving an event sanctioned dunk on them
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1546517744455229440

quote:

I've heard that the sponsors got really mad," Venturelli says. "They tried to break into the talk while I was talking, but the organization would not let them. That doesn't surprise me, because the organization, not at a single point did they censor me, did they stop me from putting what I wanted on the slides. I gave them access to the slides before the talk. There was never any kind of intention on their side to shut me up or anything like that.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

njsykora posted:

king poo poo, both the talk and the convention taking the blockchain idiots money and also approving an event sanctioned dunk on them
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1546517744455229440

this is a good quote

quote:

There's the uncanny resemblance between these profit-driven grifts and pyramid schemes, but there's also the philosophical concern that things like cryptocurrency represent a libertarian ideal founded in paranoia about institutions, and about other human beings. That, Venturelli says, is in part why they're so inefficient in the first place.

"Computationally, like in real life, if you don't trust the people that you're working with, you have to spend a lot more energy to achieve the same things," he says. "If I'm living with you in the same house and we don't trust each other, I have to, every time before I leave my house, hide my valuables. I have to make inventory of the things that I own, and maybe put cameras or locks inside of things. When I come back home I need to check everything and see if you messed with any of my stuff, and make sure that you don't get into my room when I'm sleeping and all that poo poo.

"It's so much energy that I have to use just to exist in a room with you, because I don't trust you. That, I feel, is a very good metaphor about how computationally blockchain works, and what is the underlying philosophical idea behind it, which is, 'We want a world without any sort of centralized authority because we cannot trust any of them ever.' And that is the opposite of what we want as a society, in my opinion."

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://www.theverge.com/c/22947663/justin-sun-tron-cryptocurrency-poloniex

quote:

“Weren’t all of Mao’s generals killed?” To which Sun supposedly confirmed, “Yes, yes.”

lol

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 12, 2022

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

fisting by many posted:

this is a good quote

:emptyquote:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

quote:

Venturelli did eventually bring his talk back to the future of game design, adding that he'd fooled everyone again—he wasn't there just to rag on Web3. Venturelli's indie studio Rogue Snail is working on a looter-shooter called Relic Hunters Legend that's putting into practice some of his ideals, attempting to build trust and community between players with "more human" F2P monetization and a looking-for-group system built around helping others.

"Right now we are living in a crisis of trust in Western society—trust in each other, in institutions, and even in our future together is in decline," Venturelli says. "We should be building systems that help connect people and build trust, build sustainable solutions, and build infinitely scalable human solutions. We should not be shifting away from culture, entertainment, and storytelling towards economic activity. We should not just be eliminating the final hiding places that we have to run away from the oppression of capitalist society."

i feel like these two paragraphs are somewhat in conflict

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fisting by many posted:

this is a good quote

i've said a number of times that bitcoin and blockchains (in the common usage of the term) are a fundamental misunderstanding of trust