Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Lockback posted:

Do you have a source on that, as Windhorst reported earlier that they didn't offer him anything like a max salary.

Yeah, that one is easy.

This references an Athletic article with a line from James Jones about it - https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nba/news/deandre-ayton-suns-contract-extension-agreement/h43s55hvqcer1rs5p7hr7q0di

Looks like discussions never got very far, so it probably wasn’t officially offered but it sounds like they were open to a four year deal.

Space Camp fuckup fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I remember as a lil kid id send nba players fanmail hoping theyd sign my cards, and one time Danny Fortson replied back with his card signed in white out and two rubber bands with "KG" penned on them he swore were KG's
Even as a kid i didnt believe him. Prolly threw em out.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

If you believe the james jones supergenius storyline then part of not offering ayton the 5 year max is that leaving it until now left the door open to eg KD or some other fit that might be better for the team.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/cavs/status/1546539967098236934?t=AvUOu3KA_FGQrbBY8umlZQ&s=19

please let this happen

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm really sad a garage mouse ate all of my stolen Peja cough drops that he offered to some mom that he'd always hit on while she was coming back from the VIP lounge and spilled on the floor next to me when she set her purse down

What the hell kind of a move is giving someone multiple cough drops?

And Peja absolutely strikes me as a MILF chaser.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I’d be shocked if the league lets that happen after they banned the Mavs from signing Tony Romo for a game.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://twitter.com/NBAPR/status/1546535043010424832

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

:goofy: what in the world

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

OzFactor posted:

I get the being cheap and not extending him last summer thing, I mean the getting benched in the WCF thing. (edit: i mean semis)

I made a minor effort post earlier in the thread but he was not a James Jones pick and the coach doesn’t like him. He has serious issues with effort. When he’s on he’s a top three center in the league (see: entirety of 2021 playoffs up until he had to play every minute in the finals) and when he’s off he is a JAG. His game has gotten better every single season but the staff doesn’t like him

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

this actually owns

Spacebump posted:

I’d be shocked if the league lets that happen after they banned the Mavs from signing Tony Romo for a game.

well thats loving stupid

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/cavs/status/1546555666533257218?s=20&t=lqM2018ThQay8Ufhq0NxSA

LET IT HAPPEN COWARDS

cp91886
Oct 26, 2005
Haliburton/Mathurin/Ayton is a fun young core with potential that actually resembles a coherent lineup, something the Pacers have lacked for at least the last 5 years.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/Ballislife/status/1546134642989928451?s=20&t=MaBT_avWW7U_bnizl22gsg

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Edit: nvm reading is hard

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Space Camp fuckup posted:

This references an Athletic article with a line from James Jones about it - https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nba/news/deandre-ayton-suns-contract-extension-agreement/h43s55hvqcer1rs5p7hr7q0di

Looks like discussions never got very far, so it probably wasn’t officially offered but it sounds like they were open to a four year deal.

offering four instead of five is basically disrespectful but i don’t know how his agent doesn’t jump at that

hitting free agency at 27 instead of 28 means more leverage and flexibility in terms of where you sign next and an extra opportunity to sign a long contract in your prime (hitting free agency a second time at 30-32 instead of at 33)

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Is this a real trade or only a rumouououour

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dejan Bimble posted:

Is this a real trade or only a rumouououour

rumor but from generally reliable source. Any minute now!!!

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

hifi posted:

:goofy: what in the world

not emptyquoting

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Declan MacManus posted:

offering four instead of five is basically disrespectful but i don’t know how his agent doesn’t jump at that

hitting free agency at 27 instead of 28 means more leverage and flexibility in terms of where you sign next and an extra opportunity to sign a long contract in your prime (hitting free agency a second time at 30-32 instead of at 33)

Not to mention the new TV contract in 2025

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Ayton is good enough for a rookie max but probably not good enough that you'd take for granted a 2nd max contract. If this was about just 1 year of guarantee it seems pretty dumb on both sides, I suspect it's more than that or the relationship has just degraded that far by this point,

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also like There is "offering someone a max contract" and "offering someone a max contract".

There are so many different offsets, and injury, and other outs, and options that it's possible for Owners and Agents/Players to ask to be placed within the contract structure of any given "Max Deal"

Mostly only trust what someone says they offered only so far, as they could be omitting some obvious deal breaking clauses they wanted.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Zogo posted:

Imagine Kyrie 500 years ago. He'd be imprisoning people for heliocentrism as some kind of sicko inquisitor.
500 years ago he would’ve been the heliocentric

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Lockback posted:

Suns getting Turner back? That only makes this mostly dumb, not completely dumb.

I think Turner can mostly replace what they need Ayton to do so that keeps them at the top of the conference

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Still seems pretty dumb to give up on a 22 yo who is already flirting with all star status but what do I know?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Declan MacManus posted:

the real Max rear end max is 5 year with a 5th year player option.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Robert Sarver is an absolutely toxic human being is the only reason I can come up with why they wouldn't run this team back

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

They lost to the mavs sure but Paul was injured

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

What the hell kind of a move is giving someone multiple cough drops?

And Peja absolutely strikes me as a MILF chaser.

She mightve been yelling really loud for the team

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
When's the last #1 pick that was good enough to get an extension not get a max

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Tae posted:

Fultz

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Don't think it's happened until now

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Key words "good enough"

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

If it gets you the Sets' you need for Durant then I guess it's a Good Deal but if not then it seems very weird. Like even if you hate him just agree and trade him later for more when there are more suitors.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Tae posted:

I'd guess Andrea Bargnani?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Tae posted:

Does Fultz count?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I think Turner can mostly replace what they need Ayton to do so that keeps them at the top of the conference

I think their be a drop-off that would knock the Suns down to the Warriors (Regular Season)/Grizzlies or below. When you're talking about an almost 60-win team that had the 3rd best defense, I think the impact gets bigger than you'd think.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah but myles' whole thing is defense. They would have some drop off with 3pt shooting

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

So what was this before it was deleted?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Yeah but myles' whole thing is defense. They would have some drop off with 3pt shooting

Myles is a way better three-point shooter than Ayton, what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Then why have the pacers been trying to get rid of him for 4 years