Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

namlosh posted:

This… most of what people Are describing sounds like a gsm phone in the vicinity. I don’t doubt there can be issues, but seems like everyone here has had a lot of bad luck with audio

It most definitely isn't GSM interference, audio interference inside a computer is very common.

CoolCab posted:

hrm, could it be a regional thing? maybe the variances in the electrical systems influence how the PSU outputs waste electromagentic energy, or otherwise somehow related to the power grid, i wonder? or maybe tolerances with hearing? or psychosomatic, it could be that too

Or maybe just accept it's a real thing that happens pretty commonly with computer hardware, audio shielding on a motherboard is difficult.

Criss-cross fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Kaewan posted:

I also have a 3070ti and run into the exact same problem in horizon 5. The solution was to lower either msaa, shadows or textures by 1 notch cause I was actually going over 8gb vram which causes those weird funky colors.

Thanks, this fixed it. Previously it warned me when i was out of VRAM so I blithely assumed it would do it again, but maybe not if you just slightly go over the limit.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I, too, have had noticeable whine that changes as you move the mouse/etc and various components boost up/down. It's not like, the end of the world or anything, like video card noise it's one of those things that will just blend into the background once you actually are focusing on something instead of listening to your PC, but it's definitely there.

My Z97 PC Mate system (the cheapest of the cheap) had it real bad, it went away when I switched to Gigabyte X99 boards and after that I went mostly to USB DAC so I've never really encountered it more than occasionally since (eg on secondary audio doing a long 10ft unshielded line-level cable run over to the amp I used for my speakers, which is hard to assign blame to that specifically).

I think there's a couple related issues - poor shielding on a lot of motherboards around the audio section, a lot of motherboards don't have the additional high-SNR op-amp that AC97-style chipsets support (and this leads to people turning up the sound and hearing more ambient RF noise), and in some cases grounding problems all feed into this imo. It's basically a cost/design problem, it probably costs a dollar a board more to do right but being $10 cheaper makes or breaks your sale at retail, so it's a place everybody shaves on lower-end and sometimes midrange boards. It's impossible to test it before purchase, it's rarely reviewed, and 95% of customers will never notice, and of the customers who notice basically everyone will either live with it or use a USB DAC.

Sometimes you'll see the op-amp/shielding advertised as like "Gigabyte Purity Sound!" or whatever but every board lists something similar so again, hard to tell pre-purchase whether something is decent. iirc the ones with op-amps and shielding typically get above 120 dB SNR or thereabouts, bad ones will be like 114-117 dB SNR (it's logarithmic, 3 dB is twice as much signal).

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Part of the issue is that built-in audio interference isn't obvious. But once your headphones gonna bit quiet and you've noticed it, it's impossible to ignore. The fact that it often reacts to what you're doing with your devices makes it seem like it's mocking you.

That means you either have to have something running to drown out the sound - which you may not want if you want to focus, for instance. Or you have to take off your headphones, which you might also not like (you want the insulation).

Its little things but it's annoying enough to just get a USB DAC or speakers that have one in them.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Having written some drivers and weirdo firmware for DACs and embedded OSes in the past, audio is tough to do cost effectively without dedicated hardware at various frequencies and component situations, which is why all these chips that the well known manufacturers use are so important. If whatever works for you works and you don't notice any issues - STICK EXACTLY with what you have because you're lucky. For everyone else that has issues with crap like hearing a weird phase change or static with a mouse movement or hard drive seek (IRQs and context switches being a problem) just stop trying to fight a system not designed for audio needs and get a separate DAC and amplifier. Schiit has a DAC + amplifier for gaming needs as well as Creative and dozens of other manufacturers - just keep power and signaling lines as separate as physically possible and you'll probably be fine. Don't do dumb stuff that "audiophiles" do with balanced cables or crystals or whatever because from an engineering standpoint you need to do the basics first already before you do any of those things.

Even now with my desktop audio setup that's north of $800 USD I still get dumb stuff from specific games, OS sound settings, etc. that are maddening in the moment of a random game or music track like pops and crackles building up and releasing charge. This is different from a previous chain I had where I was mostly an analog chain where I had resonance issues from having equipment nearly as old as myself that wasn't ever intended for PC audio situations. And yeah, it was kind of amusing so many years ago when I'd drop off WoW when my roommate would run the microwave so we wound up putting foil around the microwave so we could both keep using the wifi.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

From my heavily uninformed and limited research a month or so ago when I was trying to upgrade my setup:

The Schiit Fulla is a nice basic ~$120 headphone DAC/Amp that can drive up medium-difficulty headphones like the HD 650/6XX. The Topping DX3 Pro+ seems like a solid $200 DAC/amp that was brought up here a few days ago when this discussion started. It has enough power for anything you'd reasonably want to use on a PC and a good set of features (such as a digital info screen and bluetooth support). I have the FiiO K5Pro ESS which costs the same and uses the same DAC as the DX3 Pro+, but it lacks some its features. I feel a wee bit of buyer's remorse because of this, but oh well, it's still good. All the more expensive options seem to be either for studio setups or audiophile loons chasing diminishing returns.

The nice part is that, unlike graphics, good audio equipment stays good forever. Grab a decent USB DAC, and never worry about crappy onboard audio again. But I agree with what necrobobsledder says: if you have no complaints about your current setup, then keep it! There's nothing wrong with onboard audio if it's working for you.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 11, 2022

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
That's why I'm still rockin the Logitech Z-2300

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Don't think it's available in the US, but if you're in Europe, the Sharkoon Gaming DAC is a great budget option.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1546401631981412354?s=20&t=Dmkp2AP-OH2I5u9jY9bvLQ

quote:

In last week alone, the flagship RTX 3090 Ti model has been sold for 9499 RMB (1415 USD), which is 38% under MSRP (14999 RMB). A bit lower, but still significant reduction applies also to RTX 3090, which can now be found for as little as 8498 RMB (1266 USD), almost 29% under MSRP.

:sickos:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Criss-cross posted:

Don't think it's available in the US, but if you're in Europe, the Sharkoon Gaming DAC is a great budget option.

If you just want the simplest DAC possible, then the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm has a surprisingly high-quality DAC inside it, works on Windows, and costs $9. Probably has worse amplification than your onboard audio since it's only meant to drive buds and poo poo, but most things don't need an amp (especially not if you're using powered speakers).

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 11, 2022

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

With power consumption expected to rise across all tiers of the 40-series cards, is it likely we won't see many compact single-fan GPUs in the next generation? I wanted to try my hand at SFF with the Velka 3 or something, and right now the most powerful card that will fit in there is MSI's Aero ITX 3060 ti

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Thanks assholes I had avoided the audio and headphone threads for years to save money but now you're chatting here and I woke up having bought a pair of hd660s and a topping dx3pro

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Thanks assholes I had avoided the audio and headphone threads for years to save money but now you're chatting here and I woke up having bought a pair of hd660s and a topping dx3pro

Well, look on the bright side: you will never need another pair of wired headphones ever again.

Wanting another pair is an entirely different story...

I have three different headphones and some ear buds, each with a different purpose.

e: also, try going back to your old setup after using the new one for a couple weeks; the difference should be astounding. lol

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kibner posted:

Well, look on the bright side: you will never need another pair of wired headphones ever again.

Wanting another pair is an entirely different story...

I have three different headphones and some ear buds, each with a different purpose.

e: also, try going back to your old setup after using the new one for a couple weeks; the difference should be astounding. lol

I've been using a $150 pair of audiotechnica ATH-AD700 since 2012 so I'm hoping I don't feel the urge to upgrade headphones any time in the next decade.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

You shoulda went with the HD6XX's, they're the same thing but like half the price

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

CBD Corndog posted:

You shoulda went with the HD6XX's, they're the same thing but like half the price

They were on steep discount for prime day the difference was like 60bucks

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I've been using a $150 pair of audiotechnica ATH-AD700 since 2012 so I'm hoping I don't feel the urge to upgrade headphones any time in the next decade.

Mine are all sidegrades with different sound signatures and styles, tbh. Closed back, open back, semi-open back, and in-ear.

The IEM is for when I'm in bed or on the road, the closed back is for work, open back for general use, and the semi-open back pair is when I just want something super comfortable.

But, I'm weird about this and accept it. I know the vast majority of people would be perfectly fine with a single headphone that is like 80-90 USD.

e: anyway, about those GPUs! I'm still on my 1070 and am holding out just a bit longer for a 4000 series card. Probably a 4060ti or a 4070, depending on price, to drive my 1440p monitor.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

find the notion of wired headphones quaint after getting the fancy Sony noise cancelling Bluetooth headphones a while back

being able to switch between my desktop and phone seamlessly is huge

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

shrike82 posted:

find the notion of wired headphones quaint after getting the fancy Sony noise cancelling Bluetooth headphones a while back

being able to switch between my desktop and phone seamlessly is huge

The biggest con about wireless headsets is that you can have either good sound with the headphone part or good sound with the microphone part, but not both. The limitations in the bandwidth capacity of Bluetooth still force that tradeoff, sadly.

Also, latency, but that is almost not a concern with the latest Bluetooth standards.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

CBD Corndog posted:

The HD6XX are (completely) identical to the HD650, but the HD660S are actually a different headphone with various pros and cons over the classics. I'd say it's situationally worth the price difference if you like them.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kibner posted:

e: anyway, about those GPUs! I'm still on my 1070 and am holding out just a bit longer for a 4000 series card. Probably a 4060ti or a 4070, depending on price, to drive my 1440p monitor.

Same but I want them to come out quickly before the price goes back lol

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Kibner posted:

That’s how I justified getting HifiMan Anandas and a Topping L30.

Using the Anandas + EQ + amp for the first time was a mindblowing moment for me since I’d never owned a decent pair of headphones before. It’s been two years and I don’t have any itch to change this setup.

…unless an Arya magically drops onto my lap.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Think you all need an exorcist for your systems

Nah, but a $5 ground loop isolator will probably take care of like 90% of their issues.

Kibner posted:

The biggest con about wireless headsets is that you can have either good sound with the headphone part or good sound with the microphone part, but not both. The limitations in the bandwidth capacity of Bluetooth still force that tradeoff, sadly.

Also, latency, but that is almost not a concern with the latest Bluetooth standards.

You can get headphones that use 2.4Ghz now, like some of the SteelSeries ones. You lose the convenience of BT since now you have a mandatory USB dongle, but you can get much, much further range and eliminate the bandwidth limitations for the most part.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

DrDork posted:

Nah, but a $5 ground loop isolator will probably take care of like 90% of their issues.

A ground loop isolator doesn't take care of interference inside a PC. Ground loops aren't the issue people are talking about here.

Criss-cross fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 11, 2022

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

change my name posted:

With power consumption expected to rise across all tiers of the 40-series cards, is it likely we won't see many compact single-fan GPUs in the next generation? I wanted to try my hand at SFF with the Velka 3 or something, and right now the most powerful card that will fit in there is MSI's Aero ITX 3060 ti

To circle back to this quickly, performance per watt is expected to improve pretty dramatically next gen. That said, there are a lot of factors that go into what products the AIBs invest in producing, and what SKUs Nvidia invests in selling to them. That MSI made a custom PCB for an ITX version of a $400, 200w part is pretty cool, honestly. Thats a shitload of performance for something that could probably run on FlexATX power. With the exception of that unicorn Gigabyte 1080 ITX card, very few cards near the $400+ price point or ~200w power draw have gotten the ITX treatment, historically. Tends to be lower end designs that AIB partners are mostly selling to prebuilt builders.

The ITX GPU form factor has gotten even more niche lately as most of the popular SFF cases have adopted sandwich layouts and big card support, and gaming laptops have exploded in popularity.

There certainly will be something in the 200w range from all three brands next generation. Will an AIB invest in making a custom ITX PCB again? I hope so. Would hate to see it left for dead completely like the slot-powered market basically has been now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

They’re lovely headphones aren’t they? Still using mine since 2011 or so.

Regarding the SFF guy posting here if all else fails you can get a reasonably small (11L) ITX tower case called the Sliger CL530 which can fit a triple slot long boi card while still being pretty small in footprint. This is basically the smallest form factor case I can find that lets me put a giant GPU in there and air cool a slightly undervolted i7 CPU.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm pretty sure I'll go with the NR200 because who knows what card availability will even look like (so I'm not holding out hope for a specific GPU model, and I already promised a friend my 3070)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Cygni posted:

To circle back to this quickly, performance per watt is expected to improve pretty dramatically next gen.

Performance per watt improved dramatically this gen.

It all depends on what cards are released and when.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol DLSS was added to monster hunter rise and it somehow came at the cost of fur rendering being removed

left: DLSS on, right: off

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

shrike82 posted:

lol DLSS was added to monster hunter rise and it somehow came at the cost of fur rendering being removed

oh god horrifying

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

shrike82 posted:

Maybe the model sees the fur as blurriness and tries to sharpen it? Or maybe they just couldn't get it to look right so they disabled it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It looks like the fur is just never being rendered in the first place when DLSS is enabled, so it's an engine integration bug

DF mentioned that fur rendering is tied to the TAA in general, disabling TAA also disables fur, so they goofed somewhere and forgot to enable fur when using DLSS

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The "fur" looks like it's implemented by a shader that takes all the outstanding points on a texture and applies a stretch / wave to them along a gradient. So the dots on the left are the original points extrapolated out via DLSS from the original stripe origins.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is a screenshot of my left-hand monitor set to its native 1920x1080 resolution

And this a screenshot of it, after I've applied Dynamic Super Resolution to 2.25x (2880x1620)

This is a screenshot of my right-hand monitor set to its native 1680x1050 resolution (but flipped to portrait mode)

And this a screenshot of it, after I've applied Dynamic Super Resolution to 2.25x (2520x1575)

The fourth image certainly looks "better" than the third, but how come I'm getting more "screen real-estate" on the left-hand monitor as I increase the resolution, but not on the right-hand monitor?
Or on the converse, how come I'm getting "just" sharper image quality on the right-hand monitor with no change in display size, but not on the left-hand monitor?

I'd like to have one or the other apply consistently across both monitors, but this a little annoying to have them behave differently.

Could the fact that one of them is using DisplayPort and the other HDMI be a factor (even if they're both plugged into the GPU)? I know the portrait mode setting doesn't matter.

EDIT: Never mind - I figured it out - Windows was automatically applying a scaling factor to the left-hand monitor whenever I activated a DSR resolution, but it wasn't doing it with the right-hand monitor.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 12, 2022

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

necrobobsledder posted:

The "fur" looks like it's implemented by a shader that takes all the outstanding points on a texture and applies a stretch / wave to them along a gradient. So the dots on the left are the original points extrapolated out via DLSS from the original stripe origins.

HairWorks abandonware much?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

3080 12GB for $730 after promo code: https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3080-gv-n3080gaming-oc-12gd/p/N82E16814932489

Considering this is a factory OC version of the enhanced 12GB model, I think we can finally say that we've basically hit MSRP on the 3080. We finally did it guys, just 22 months after release. :')

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Congratz America. In Europe they're still 20% over MSRP though.

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012

Kibner posted:

Could be lucky. Could be the power. Could be your headphones or speakers masking the effects. Could also be that your brain/ears are not sensitive to the differences between on-board and dedicated devices.

Hearing is incredibly subjective. If you're happy, don't waste money to chase the dragon.

You're exactly right, most people wouldn't notice it. I have dealt with sound issues before on my machines or other people's but it was due to defective hardware and once that was fixed it worked fine. I've tried alternatives to onboard sound before and while it's better I don't need it to satisfy my needs.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

shrike82 posted:

in a previous video, df said that taa on pc wasn't even working, so i'm surprised dlss came out for rise at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That can't be right, TAA works fine for me and it's clear when it toggles on or off (no shimmering or aliasing for example)