Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
that better call saul episode where jimmy carries bags of money through the desert and drinks his own piss but with the printer goon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

axolotl farmer posted:

the horrific sight of underwear :eek:

some people are nasty tho

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
I actually saw a foldable phone in the wild today

I didn’t know anyone actually bought one of those drat things

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i saw one at a phone store today while adding a line and it looked like a sticker on a dummy device, right down to the uneven middle

it now sits squarely in my mind with all the gimmick phones i'd see when i went to renew my contract for my old candy bar nokias

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

it’s literally impossible to fold and unfold a material 180 degrees many many times over without it work hardening or otherwise becoming warped or brittle over time.

foldable screens are trash until we find some material that defies the laws of known material science.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if only there were some sort of technology that had been around for the last 3500 years or so that could solve that problem

alas, gotta make the screen out of one piece

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
my brother in law has a foldable phone and it looks lovely and pointless

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

they should probably try to make the screen less glossy then

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jesus WEP posted:

they should probably try to make the screen less glossy then

advanced form, nice job

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
screens should be rollable like scrolls

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

Was just reminded by the wiki thread of Pick. First co-op was at a company whose whole stack lived on a pick db. Lots of fun writing JavaBeans (remember those?) middleware to process payments for [redacted] memberships.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Pick, named after one of its developers, Dick Pick.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

if you read lwn comments you will be very familiar with one particular Pick enthusiast lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Plank Walker posted:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Plank Walker posted:

nah scrolls are tired. screens should be tearable and reformable like dough. you should be able to just tear off a hunk of screen with your hand, scrunch it up in your pocket, pull it out, unscrunch it, work on that for a bit, tear off a lil bit and give it to someone else, come home and smoosh it back on there. doughscreens are the future.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Download managers, for when mom picks up the phone interrupting the download of that postage stamp sized 1.2 MB Dragonball z clip you were going to watch after lunch.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Manzoon posted:

Download managers, for when mom picks up the phone interrupting the download of that postage stamp sized 1.2 MB Dragonball z clip you were going to watch after lunch.

this is incorrect. it was a dbz clip with linkin park dubbed over it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

for me it was this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghiOi5bN5yk

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Fart Sandwiches posted:

this is incorrect. it was a sailor moon clip named "dragonballz.ultimate-fightcollection.southpark.fullmovie.britney_spears_nude-howard-stern-prank.rm"

...with linkin park dubbed over it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

vaguely related but one of my strongest memories of middle school is everyone in computer class watching the music video for "breaking the habit" by linkin park on yahoo music

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
In my computer class we were all playing a demo of gta2 (i think? It was an old top down gta) that would only let you play for like 15 minutes and i had the global high score because i accidentally ran over s whole string of cultists or something once and got a shitload of points

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
YES

YES!!!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
gta 2 was real good

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Fart Sandwiches posted:

This was so much earlier than AMVs for me. This was the web-ring era.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Corla Plankun posted:

In my computer class we were all playing a demo of gta2 (i think? It was an old top down gta) that would only let you play for like 15 minutes and i had the global high score because i accidentally ran over s whole string of cultists or something once and got a shitload of points

Kitfox88 posted:

gta 2 was real good

Gouranga!, as well as the 15 minute game demo were both GTA1, however,

Kitfox88 posted:

gta 1 was real good

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i'd kill for a new top-down gta style game on a modern engine.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Kitfox88 posted:

gta 1 and 2 were real good

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i'm looking at streets of rogue 2 as a possibility. text description is that it will have cars and if it's anything like the first one, top down.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nudgenudgetilt posted:

Doesn't 3 have a top-down mode still?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Doesn't 3 have a top-down mode still?

it was an insanely janky afterthought. i think it was intended more as an easter egg than something to actually be played -- they even removed it from the definitive edition.

edit: also, gta 3 is old enough to drink.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nudgenudgetilt posted:

it was an insanely janky afterthought. i think it was intended more as an easter egg than something to actually be played -- they even removed it from the definitive edition.

edit: also, gta 3 is old enough to drink.

The definitive edition is the Flash version lmaooooo

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

both the top down gtas were fun yeah, i just enjoyed 2 more and THE LIGHTING EFFECTS AT THE TIME W O W :eyepop:

nudgenudgetilt posted:

chinatown wars isn't bad and it's designed top down, if you haven't tried it. funnest way to escape the cops in the series as well, that being you destroy a shitton of their cars chasing you and they gently caress off

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Kitfox88 posted:

both the top down gtas were fun yeah, i just enjoyed 2 more and THE LIGHTING EFFECTS AT THE TIME W O W :eyepop:

chinatown wars isn't bad and it's designed top down, if you haven't tried it. funnest way to escape the cops in the series as well, that being you destroy a shitton of their cars chasing you and they gently caress off

haven't played it, but i'll have to come up with a decent phone controller and try it out. still not exactly modern though.

edit: i guess this is the wrong thread to be in asking for modern poo poo tho

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

streets of sim city :c00lbert:

game was terrible in an amazing way

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

simcopter was the best streets of sim city

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

You're the czar

If you've got a kick-rear end car

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
SimAnt was pretty good.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

simcopter was the best streets of sim city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

trilljester posted:

SimAnt was pretty good.

i had (have) arachnophobia and noped out of the class very loudly and in tears when a kid was playing it at school once lmao

otoh the teacher let me stay inside at recess and play mdk on our see through imac so it wasn't all trauma