Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

HUB have been doing monitors for ages, it’s one of their big differentiators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIYvPNtWZ34

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

EDIT: I don't mean to downplay the importance of normalization of bad behaviour and its effects, but it has to be a relatively small effect that I feel like must in large part be outweighed in most people by the basic self-reflection techniques we're (hopefully) taught as kids, that among other things involve asking ourselves "Am I the rear end in a top hat here?"

Unfortunately you're wrong on all counts here. Normalization is CRITICAL to making said behavior part of a person's identity. It's the entire reason why movements exist to strike slurs from peoples' vocabulary--and on the flip side why "free speech" is a rallying cry of the alt-right. Using "gay" as a pejorative regularly has a pretty good correlation to bad opinions about LGBT folks. And even if you're not consciously prejudiced, you're primed to accept prejudiced rhetoric because your brain, in associating "gay" with something negative, is already making a gay = bad connection.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1545545317826830345?t=QLHgWL6Vr5bhBDn5cpLmsw&s=19

Hmmm, wonder what's going on.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Steve has information that will lead to the arrest of Linus Techtips.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Can you groom a grown man? I guess we'll find out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Linus has been digitally enlarging his hands in post.

They’re even smaller than we imagined.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I don't know if I'm losing my mind but it seems like every tech channel are adding ads to their videos that are 30 minute ads.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Nolgthorn posted:

I don't know if I'm losing my mind but it seems like every tech channel are adding ads to their videos that are 30 minute ads.

Sir why are you not simpling using sponserblock?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sponsorblock-for-youtube/mnjggcdmjocbbbhaepdhchncahnbgone?hl=en

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

I've heard people talk about this for a while, and decided to try it. It worked perfectly, as you might imagine, though a bit jarring to have the sudden jump.

Now that YouTube has the whole "most replayed" feature visible, it makes me wonder if the viewership of a video during a sponsor read is a metric that can affect a content creator. My guess is no, since they probably aren't being paid via YouTube itself, and I'm still going to ignore and block ads no matter what, but I am curious.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Youtube is trying though. If somebody skips at the beginning they get punished. I don't know the exact details. I already pay for YouTube premium so I'm gonna fast forward through that, thanks.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I thought I was the only person who pays for YouTube. I couldn't take it anymore I watch on my tv and phone often. It's worth 5 a month not to have to take my tv apart to try and make it block ads. The ads almost made by brain collapse like a dying star.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
my biggest objection honestly is how much of a perverse incentive that creates, lol

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

We live in an era of unstoppable mega corporations due to every single person selling out. Google isn't going away they do whatever they want. I don't think they even need to make money.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The amount of YT adverts has hit horrible levels since they started hawking ad fee subs. I find if I'm trying to quickly scan to find a particular part of a video it will force feed me the same unskippable advert seconds apart.

It finally made me add ublock origin on top of my long running pihole.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I've been thinking about looking into those online tips to updating my network to filter ads in some way, but I don't really think I'm quite savvy enough to put up with the headache. Though I was also thinking of setting up a network just for my work devices, so maybe if I'm doing that it's time to try. For now, I just use uBlock Origin on the computers and tolerate it on the phone. On YouTube the viewership experience is still pretty good even if the ads are getting a lot worse, as opposed to Twitch which has an absolutely awful app and is not worth putting up with.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I have a beefy computer and it ramps pretty hard when I try to watch twitch, I don't understand how anyone uses it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

I've been thinking about looking into those online tips to updating my network to filter ads in some way, but I don't really think I'm quite savvy enough to put up with the headache. Though I was also thinking of setting up a network just for my work devices, so maybe if I'm doing that it's time to try.

Network-level blocking doesn't work for YouTube ads anyway

That type of blocking can only block an entire domain, which works for 3rd party ad networks but YT serve their own ads from their own domain so you need a more nuanced method of blocking them (like uBlock)

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
I just got a new phone and it seems like Youtube Vanced is no more?! Any other alternative for Android other than watching videos in firefox with ublock?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if you're on an Android phone, you can install Firefox and then UBlock, and youtube ads will be blocked if you're watching them through Firefox

alternatively, NewPipe is the go-to youtube alternative app

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nowher posted:

I just got a new phone and it seems like Youtube Vanced is no more?! Any other alternative for Android other than watching videos in firefox with ublock?

Yeah Vanced did NFTs using the Youtube logo and got C&D’d into oblivion by Google.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

njsykora posted:

Yeah Vanced did NFTs using the Youtube logo and got C&D’d into oblivion by Google.

Christ.. That is so much dumber than I anticipated

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I only watch twitch on a computer with Firefox and the Alternative Player for Twitch plugin. It blocks ads from the end user without blocking ad revenue from the streamer.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

If you pay for youtube premium, instead of your adcount going to a channel, your watch time is monetized. So if you use sponsorblock and watch a 10 minute video and 3 of those minutes are ads from the creator, the creator gets paid for your 7 minutes.

Whatever amount they lose because you didn't watch those 3 minutes is immediately outweighed by how much they made taking the sponsor spot. Hence why so many are taking sponsors; they pay out not matter what. Don't sweat it, install sponsorblock.

(this is coming from someone who helps run a youtube channel)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

HKR posted:

If you pay for youtube premium, instead of your adcount going to a channel, your watch time is monetized. So if you use sponsorblock and watch a 10 minute video and 3 of those minutes are ads from the creator, the creator gets paid for your 7 minutes.

Whatever amount they lose because you didn't watch those 3 minutes is immediately outweighed by how much they made taking the sponsor spot. Hence why so many are taking sponsors; they pay out not matter what. Don't sweat it, install sponsorblock.

(this is coming from someone who helps run a youtube channel)

Yeah, sponsors can’t see which parts of a video are watched, just viewpoint.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2xMi7inB28

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GN’s big video is out, a full dive into how Artesian collapsed. Immediately it looks super weird how quickly the company warehouse was seemingly abandoned with a bunch of half built systems still left out.
https://youtu.be/L2xMi7inB28

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
lol of course family-owned small business tyrant bullshit, who could have foreseen

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

that video would be a lot more watchable without that stupid local news investigation music playing in the background the whole time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Gaming News Network: We Report, You Decide

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

For anyone wondering both of the above links are the same video

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006
The better half of the Brothers Douche.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

that video would be a lot more watchable without that stupid local news investigation music playing in the background the whole time.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I like the music it's funny

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Seriously. Way too much '90s era 48 Hours/Dateline NBC energy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I didn’t even notice the music since once the intro was done most of it was the usual GN “Steve talks at you from behind a desk” format with no music.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Yeah I just watched it and the music was clearly a short parody. It doesn’t last the whole video

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GN should absolutely build a news set for Hardware News videos though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

njsykora posted:

GN should absolutely build a news set for Hardware News videos though.

idk what else they're doing with that giant rear end cave they've got steve shooting in right now

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I want Steve to do an investigation on Intellivision and Tommy Tallarico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Tommy "Harvest Moon Sucks I Can't Get Out Of The House" Tallarico