Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Methanar posted:

You make fun of me but I only nuked my network like 3 times in 3 years.

i'm not even making fun of you, that was some of my favourite content in yospos.

rogers, naturally, is on another level of fuckup

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Methanar posted:

The insane thing is how long it lasted.

What exactly did they do they it took like 12 hours to undo. Like, did they somehow nuke their oob management network, and then have no ability to even access their own devices?

Was there a logistical nightmare of even being able to contact anybody else with the whole network down?
Was there some trainwreck of authenticating the staff to physically enter colo locations with a serial cable in hand?
Did they have to do like a coordinated dance with multiple engineers in different physical locations manually removing a config change over console.

what even the gently caress. I want to read the post mortem for this

Well, if it's good enough for Facebook...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MasterBuilder posted:

Well everyone else on freedom wanted to do the same as you so throughput went to poo poo. I got a haircut yesterday and my barber said he was hotspotting for everyone else. I went through 2gb to cover work stuff just by myself.

I would expect poor throughput and high ping, but like, half the time it was completely unable to connect to the tower at all and even when it could it couldn't even send or receive phone calls or SMS.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

quote:

To our valued customers and all Canadians,

I am reaching out to share that our services have been restored, and our networks and systems are close to fully operational. Our technical teams are continuing to monitor for any remaining intermittent issues. I also want to outline an action plan we are putting in place to address what happened.

I also want to share what we know about what happened yesterday. We now believe we’ve narrowed the cause to a network system failure following a maintenance update in our core network, which caused some of our routers to malfunction early Friday morning. We disconnected the specific equipment and redirected traffic, which allowed our network and services to come back online over time as we managed traffic volumes returning to normal levels.

We know how much our customers rely on our networks and I sincerely apologize. We’re particularly troubled that some customers could not reach emergency services and we are addressing the issue as an urgent priority.

We will proactively credit all customers automatically for yesterday’s outage. This credit will be automatically applied to your account and no action is required from you.

As CEO, I take full responsibility for ensuring we at Rogers earn back your full trust, and am focused on the following action plan to further strengthen the resiliency of our network:

Fully restore all services: While this has been nearly done, we are continuing to monitor closely to ensure stability across our network as traffic returns to normal.

Complete root cause analysis and testing: Our leading technical experts and global vendors are continuing to dig deep into the root cause and identify steps to increase redundancy in our networks and systems.

Make any necessary changes: We will take every step necessary, and continue to make significant investments in our networks to strengthen our technology systems, increase network stability for our customers, and enhance our testing.

We let you down yesterday. You have my personal commitment that we can, and will, do better.

Tony Staffieri
President and CEO, Rogers Communications

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Thanks Tone.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Do better Tony

I love the ultra generic "a network system failure following a maintenance update in our core network, which caused some of our routers to malfunction".

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Listen, a doohickey went wonky, ok? What more do you need to know? 911 is mostly fine right now and you’ll get maybe $3. Back off, stop being rude.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Meanwhile

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/rogers-outage-911-call-1.6516958

I really hope the government doesn’t just let them off without some major systemic changes other than “ok you guys promise to allow roaming onto your network when the other guy fucks up!” (Lol they will totally let them off scot free)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
:laffo:

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I feel like the CEO was telling an intern who wrote the letter to take promises out, and the person had to fight to keep in a "1 day off" refund.

mewse
May 2, 2006

During the outage (thankfully I wasn't affected) I saw local police + RCMP both send out facebook messages saying use something other than rogers if you have to call 911. I think best case scenario we can hope out of this is the shaw merger gets scuttled. I don't really see this affecting the status quo - if the liberals act like they're going to take a hard stance on it I doubt we'll see anything substantive, the next conservative govt will cozy up to the telcos like always.

Remember when the united states broke up Bell and the company reformed itself like the T-1000? Good times

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yep the shaw merger dying is the best case. We won’t see any major changes with either a Liberal or CPC government and so it pretty much is just stuck barring some complete electoral shift.

Seems like such an easy political win to rein in the oligopolies but I guess the lure of post politics board seats are too strong.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

mewse posted:

Remember when the united states broke up Bell and the company reformed itself like the T-1000? Good times

That was more a failure of every succeeding administration to enforce anti-trust law.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

lol 5 whole days, get the gently caress outta here

https://twitter.com/CP24/status/1546972591419789315

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

priznat posted:

Yep the shaw merger dying is the best case. We won’t see any major changes with either a Liberal or CPC government and so it pretty much is just stuck barring some complete electoral shift.

What has been the NDP response?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lobok posted:

What has been the NDP response?

How bad is it that when I search, only a Narcity article comes up? https://www.narcity.com/jagmeet-singh-slams-the-rogers-outage-as-the-feds-lay-out-a-plan-to-prevent-it-happening-again

I don't necessarily blame the NDP/Singh for this.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Each party should have its own branded telecom that they can use to curry favour with the populace when they need votes and we need discounts.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

Each party should have its own branded telecom that they can use to curry favour with the populace when they need votes and we need discounts.

We already have some color coding going on with Rogers being red and Bell being blue.

Dunno what NDP would be. I think of Wind being orange, and being small and mostly irrelevant and the option you go to when you're sick of Rogers...

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

What does Telus represent? Western alienation?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

teethgrinder posted:

How bad is it that when I search, only a Narcity article comes up? https://www.narcity.com/jagmeet-singh-slams-the-rogers-outage-as-the-feds-lay-out-a-plan-to-prevent-it-happening-again

I don't necessarily blame the NDP/Singh for this.

Not to blame but also when he says the current lack of competition shouldn't continue hopefully he means more than just other private companies should be allowed in.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 13, 2022

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Evis posted:

Well, the Telus logo is green. The core of their strength is in the west and despite their friendly facade they are very similar in a lot of ways to Bell so I guess maybe that checks out

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I miss Clearnet!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

We already have some color coding going on with Rogers being red and Bell being blue.

Dunno what NDP would be. I think of Wind being orange, and being small and mostly irrelevant and the option you go to when you're sick of Rogers...

Wind is a puppet vassal of Shaw, who is facing imminent assimilation by Rogers

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Evis posted:

Reform/SoCred was green wasn't it?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Sasktel did nothing wrong

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

How is SaskTel doing these days? I haven't heard much from them since CCPA's paper on comparing them with MTS after they were privatized but before the Bell purchase. From everything I've heard MTS continues to get worse.

https://www.policyalternatives.ca/sites/default/files/uploads/publications/Manitoba%20Office/2015/06/Parables%20of%20Privatization.pdf

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 13, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh no, does this mean it's down again??

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I appreciate that my Fido service outage email apology was delayed several days inline with my lower tier status as a sub-brand, discount-seeking customer.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

shadow puppet of a posted:

I appreciate that my Fido service outage email apology was delayed several days inline with my lower tier status as a sub-brand, discount-seeking customer.

Disgusting pleb! *shoves you off the ledge you are gripping onto with a foot on the face*

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I would dearly love to stop receiving apologies from Rogers, I'm not even a Rogers customer.

I am a technical contact for some of my clients though and apparently that entitles me to every single one of their apologies.

Any more of these I'm I'm going to start submitting them to the CRTC as unsolicited mail since there's no unsubscribe link.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I'm a customer of a small ISP that uses the Rogers lines, I don't have any emails and I'm sure I'll receive no compensation.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Ensign Expendable posted:

I'm a customer of a small ISP that uses the Rogers lines, I don't have any emails and I'm sure I'll receive no compensation.
They're the Rogers customer, so they got the email

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Yeah, Teksavvy will get their $20 credit

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Lomarf
https://twitter.com/internetofshit/status/1547746255320653824

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Telus is doing Canadian Telecom things and putting in an application to charge a 1.5% service fee (with taxes like a cherry on top of that) for anyone paying with a credit card. I believe it is currently only for mobile plans, but if this goes through it seems likely that everyone else will apply it, and then it will eventually apply to all services.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2022/08/09/telus-crtc-request-credit-card-processing-fee/
https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/telus/telus-to-charge-fee-for-credit-card-payments-to-recover-processing-costs/
https://thedeepdive.ca/telus-looks-to-be-the-first-telecom-to-charge-credit-card-processing-fees/

If you are displeased with this change, you can voice a complaint by putting in an intervention with the CTRC here: https://applications.crtc.gc.ca/Com...2204816&TN=0573 at some point before September 7th, 2022.

There's a draft circulating as a template for those who don't want to craft all of their own words:

quote:

To whom it may concern; I am writing regarding a proposal by Telus to add additional credit card processing fees of 1.5% on mobility accounts. I understand that this proposal is presently before the CRTC for approval. I am writing to express my strong disapproval of any credit card processing or other fees from mobility providers such as Telus. The CRTC must stand up for consumers and ensure that bills are clear to understand, that additional fees are strictly regulated and set out for a specific purpose, and to avoid fees which are expressed as a percentage. I urge you to refuse Telus' request for this additional fee on the grounds that it is unfriendly to consumers, particularly in an inflationary environment, that the fee is confusing and unjustifiable, and is a blatant attempt to increase profit margins to the detriment of consumers. Please do not allow the state of telecom companies in Canada to become even more unjustifiably expensive than it already is. Thank you.

If enough people bitch about it we can probably look forward to the CRTC very loudly and publicly shutting it down, and then Telus re-applying in 6 months to a year and quietly sneaking it through the back door. But at least we can pretend we did something about it this time.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Looks like Public Mobile is offering 4G speed plans again? $45 for 6GB/mo https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/6GB-4Gspeed

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thanks Tara; though I submitted a much shorter comment I believe it got the point across.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Done, thanks for the tip off.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Looks like Public Mobile is offering 4G speed plans again? $45 for 6GB/mo https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/6GB-4Gspeed

Are their plans monthly now instead of 90 day increments? Meh. If it were ten bucks less it'd be worth it. Alas.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Got a total of $10.02 credit to my Fido bill for netticaust 2022.

I feel like I'm going to get an email any day now clawing back that overcredited two cents.