Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Keltair
Jul 16, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hmm... I didn't buy the preorder bundle for this set but what if I just got the mastery pass... I already have enough xp for the draft token, maybe it's Good Value lol

Lone Goat solved the same problem for me last week:

Lone Goat posted:

1500 gems for the draft token
1200 actual gems
800 gems worth of gold (4000) (assuming you're spending it on drafts, if you're spending it on other stuff the conversion might be different)
20 boosters at uhhhhh I dunno what a booster costs, $10??? 16 boosters of normal sets, 4 alchemy sets
10 mythics from the set which are also alchemy
all the cosmetic crap like pets, avatars, sleeves, card styles

So if you're drafting and keeping up on daily xp, you always get the gems back from the pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I regret to inform the Historic Brawl fans that today's CGB video has Tasha as a commander for that format. So be prepared to run into a lot more of that.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Re. The "not many good 2 drops in the format" comment

I should clarify that there are a bunch of very good 2 drops but the quality falls off quickly, so it feels like in both aggro decks and more midrange decks you are always on the lookout for more good 2 drops since it's rare you'll get more than you want

Admittedly that might just be my experience talking on this one

In terms of limited advice the Limited Level Ups discord is a good place and free (also listen to Limited Level Ups)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
So, this dragon brawl thing...is that 5k buy-in only for the card styles you'll get all of if you play for long enough to win enough, or do you at least get to keep the precon deck? That's a single one you choose of the five, right?

Lone Goat posted:

Caveat that I don't agree with the idea "there aren't a lot of great two drops in this format" because there are, especially in white and black. This set is very aggressive so it's important to have early interaction, whether it's inexpensive removal or cheap creatures that can attack others block.

Viconia is great early because she slams the door shut on some 2s, and trades with the rest. Then, if she lives long enough, or you just draw her late after graveyards are stocked, you can cash in junk from your hand for something relevant. A two mana creature that is good early, and also good late, is a GREAT card for limited. She's arguably the best two drop in the set, below rare.

Vampire Spawn is good for a similar reason. Blocks 2s as well as Viconia, just a turn later. The life drain is good for aggro decks and control decks, whether you're squeezing out the last couple points of damage, or gaining enough life to survive til the end game. Both Spawn and Viconia are good against the 3 drops in the set, too. There's no three mana 3/3s at common or uncommon so they still hold the fort.

Trading isn't always the best way to go about things, you should consider where the game is going and what your cards will do for you you the rest of the game. If I have Viconia and my opponent attacks with a vanilla 3/1, if I have Vampire Spawn in my hand I'll take 3 and try to block it next turn if I don't think I'm being pressured enough that it matters. That 3 life will be worth whatever value I get from Viconia (probably) so taking my time lumps and trading off a worse creature is in my best interests. There are a billion other factors at play that will change my decision, but there's more to it than "these have the right powers and toughnesses so I'll shove them in the way".
I must admit that I forgot for a bit that most of the discussion is about Limited. But it's a good point that in the set, the bodies are exceptional!

Also, I was exaggerating a little, I don't just trade willy nilly. Again, I was mostly thinking about the kinds of constructed decks I've been playing, where each creature was rather expendable so far.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah Vampire Spawn is not constructed playable...

Maybe in the Evelyn deck where the type matters, but there's probably better 3-drops

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

So, this dragon brawl thing...is that 5k buy-in only for the card styles you'll get all of if you play for long enough to win enough, or do you at least get to keep the precon deck? That's a single one you choose of the five, right?

I must admit that I forgot for a bit that most of the discussion is about Limited. But it's a good point that in the set, the bodies are exceptional!

Also, I was exaggerating a little, I don't just trade willy nilly. Again, I was mostly thinking about the kinds of constructed decks I've been playing, where each creature was rather expendable so far.

The dragon brawl is 2 art styles per win play as much as you want. You get nothing except art from it. If you're new don't do it.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
Coasted to 5 wins with Myriim for the event, without any ramp for 3/5 games. Getting two giant dragons is more than enough

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

for some reason, historic brawl got a LOT more... cutthroat? like you actually have to look up decks and know the meta now. It sucks now.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

A Moose posted:

for some reason, historic brawl got a LOT more... cutthroat? like you actually have to look up decks and know the meta now. It sucks now.

iirc they have to manually reshuffle the things that put the top tier decks in their own miniqueue + they haven't done it since before new capenna came out (raffine reanimator :allears:). it might do it a little bit on its own, but give it a bit more time

i can still get some low stakes matches going with my lovely raggadragga brew without trying very hard, though, so it's not impossible

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think anything grixis is automatically tier 1, so your Evelyn and Admiral Beckett Brass is the same as Nicol Bolas, because I'm definitely in the hellqueue with lovely vampire tribal

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Shooting Blanks posted:

I regret to inform the Historic Brawl fans that today's CGB video has Tasha as a commander for that format. So be prepared to run into a lot more of that.

Oh booo, its paradox engine with tome of the infinite as the main win con. Thats just boring and not a great watch either.

Yeah I've been going up against a lot more 5 color bullshit since baldurs gate came out.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 15, 2022

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I made a Tiamat deck that owns and is great and I play big dragons.

It doesn’t get placed against anything I would call s tier except Jetmir so the old balancing is still there. They could definitely stand to update it though.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

welp my mono green devotion list is unplayable now because plant dino is bugged and only counts basic lands for its second ability*. guess I'll break out rakdos midrange, but I think I need to update my list and shift around my sideboard. been seeing a lot more spirits in bo3 and less UW control so I'm going to test out a torch breath in lieu of one of my fry's

E: nvm I just downloaded an update and they fixed it

kalel fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 15, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"Dragon's Rage Channeler" is, uh, a very good card

Edit: this is the Izzet version of the Kitten Deck. As always, any suggestions are appreciated

Saheeli is even more important in this deck, as I am often swinging with those servos for damage, and she has more viable copying targets. Kitten + Chandra is wild, machine-gunning emblems or removal is very real.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 15, 2022

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Shoutout to the opponent who didn't fold to my playing Tasha on turn 4 in the final game of the final match of Traditional Draft. They held on until they could cast Hourglass Coven and managed to win with 39 seconds on the clock.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"Dragon's Rage Channeler" is, uh, a very good card

Edit: this is the Izzet version of the Kitten Deck. As always, any suggestions are appreciated

Saheeli is even more important in this deck, as I am often swinging with those servos for damage, and she has more viable copying targets. Kitten + Chandra is wild, machine-gunning emblems or removal is very real.

Is that a Tormod's Crypt in a deck with playsets of Dragon's Rage Channelers and Unholy Heats? The obvious question would be: is that better than, or even as good as, Izzet Phoenix?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Tormod's Crypt is a one-of to randomly hose reanimator/greasefang, which are the most common combo decks I run into that have a clean answer like that. It seems like a low deckbuilding cost to me since even in other matchups it's still a 0-mana spell that procs Kitten (and in this deck, also DRC and Saheeli) and so there's usually marginal value.

Yeah it's probably not better than phoenix, but I don't want to play phoenix (which I have hated ever since it was in standard), I want to leverage Kitten and play planeswalkers

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Tormod's Crypt is a one-of to randomly hose reanimator/greasefang, which are the most common combo decks I run into that have a clean answer like that. It seems like a low deckbuilding cost to me since even in other matchups it's still a 0-mana spell that procs Kitten (and in this deck, also DRC and Saheeli) and so there's usually marginal value.

stick it in the side board imo

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

IME a lot of the discourse comes from Magic podcasts (Limited Level-Ups and Lords of Limited are probably the ones people would recommend for draft) and people who stream Arena on Twitch. Aside from those podcasters who also stream, I think Jim Davis's Bronze to Mythic series has been super helpful, especially since he starts each set from scratch and kind of builds lessons in each episode as he progresses through the ranks.
I actually check out Jim Davis (on Youtube!) and it's very entertaining, thanks! I'm surely gonna be drafting much better my third time around.

Ithle01 posted:

The dragon brawl is 2 art styles per win play as much as you want. You get nothing except art from it. If you're new don't do it.
Thanks! I'll refrain.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

After playing some Explorer Bo3 Jeskai Creativity, I'm beginning to think that there is no format where Agent of Treachery is both playable, and a card that should exist. It should at least have the words "if you cast it" like the Eldrazi titans do, to make you do a little work to get it into play. Also Indomitable Creativity grabbing 2 of them on turn 4 is just stupid. (turn 3 fable of the mirror breaker, turn 4 Dwarven Mine, my other lands are a triome and 2 shocklands, attack, making a treasure, and target both my creatures.)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I had a shower thought, what if they put urza's saga in Brother's War? Is that too crazy? To print it into not just standard, but pioneer and historic as well?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

There aren't the kind of artifacts to tutor for in standard etc. but yes, that sounds insane

Though my historic Tempered Steel deck would love it!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
whenever i see a suggestion that a card could get printed into standard because the support that's part of why it's so busted in extended formats isn't there, i remember when people thought lotus cobra wasn't going to be very strong when it returned in ZNR because the only fetchlands that were available were evolving wilds and fabled passage

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I feel fairly confident in saying that they will not print Urza's Saga into Standard anytime soon, for a whole host of reasons but yes power level is chief among them.

That said as someone who keeps thinking about artifact decks in Explorer and Historic, it would rule (until the better artifact decks crushed mine)

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
The only reason I would want urzas saga printed into standard is that I have 2 paper copies and that's too few to run but a bit too expensive to complete the playset.

Also the next set should contain all fetch lands and shocklands at uncommon but to balance out limited power all other cards would be vanilla creatures.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

MasterBuilder posted:

The only reason I would want urzas saga printed into standard is that I have 2 paper copies and that's too few to run but a bit too expensive to complete the playset.

Also the next set should contain all fetch lands and shocklands at uncommon but to balance out limited power all other cards would be vanilla creatures.

Bring back 1999 era limited sets where the most efficient creature is a 3/3 for 4

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

A Moose posted:

After playing some Explorer Bo3 Jeskai Creativity, I'm beginning to think that there is no format where Agent of Treachery is both playable, and a card that should exist. It should at least have the words "if you cast it" like the Eldrazi titans do, to make you do a little work to get it into play. Also Indomitable Creativity grabbing 2 of them on turn 4 is just stupid. (turn 3 fable of the mirror breaker, turn 4 Dwarven Mine, my other lands are a triome and 2 shocklands, attack, making a treasure, and target both my creatures.)

It's a very interactable combo though, because you're going to be casting Creativity on 1/1, 2/2 creatures or a treasure token. Those are like the easiest things to deal with. Nevermind tapping out into a counterspell.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

Bring back 1999 era limited sets where the most efficient creature is a 3/3 for 4

Wild that now 3/3 vigilance trample for 3 is "pretty good, great if it makes a treasure"

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Eej posted:

It's a very interactable combo though, because you're going to be casting Creativity on 1/1, 2/2 creatures or a treasure token. Those are like the easiest things to deal with. Nevermind tapping out into a counterspell.

The combo itself is fine I think, its just what you do with it that is broken. Like what are other targets besides Agent?
You could grab the blue gearhulk, which can cast a Magma Opus from the GY, but that requires more setup. also very little synergy with mirror-breaker.
You can grab Locust God and Sage of the Falls, but for that to work, you pretty much have to run 1 copy of each and not draw them because its 2 different creatures. Also you have to cast it for x=2 most of the time.
You can grab Ulamog, but he doesn't do anything on ETB and you have to wait a turn to attack. Also legendary, so you can't grab multiples, or copy it with mirror-breaker. also much harder to hard cast.

Agent is just so much better than every other big creature in the format its insane.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Havin fun with this VOW quick draft

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I might try another one soon, went 6-3 with the last draft, my aggro/midrange BR vampires got stalled out by big butt BR vampires in the last game. We both went through so many blood tokens, I think I lost at around 9 cards left in deck.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
This Alchemy poo poo sucks and needs to go away forever

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Debated whether to spend my gold on a constructed event but I could use the change-up

Draft #5

https://www.17lands.com/draft/ccf3335cb75044988ec0b7db1ee6895d

Speaking of change-ups, throughout I was wondering whether I was just slotting into BW because that's the archetype I'm familiar with or if that was just the clear open lane for me. Almost started with picking the RG rare just for variety but ended up deciding Sarevok was the stronger pick. Opening Lae'zel P3P1 was lucky.

I think I can play 16 lands with this since I have just two cards above 4, and everyone says 16 lands in BO1 is fine because of the hand smoothing? I also wonder whether I have enough small creatures to maximize Patriar's Humiliation and to facilitate Dispute/Wanderer.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Debated whether to spend my gold on a constructed event but I could use the change-up

Draft #5

Speaking of change-ups, throughout I was wondering whether I was just slotting into BW because that's the archetype I'm familiar with or if that was just the clear open lane for me. Almost started with picking the RG rare just for variety but ended up deciding Sarevok was the stronger pick. Opening Lae'zel P3P1 was lucky.

I think I can play 16 lands with this since I have just two cards above 4, and everyone says 16 lands in BO1 is fine because of the hand smoothing? I also wonder whether I have enough small creatures to maximize Patriar's Humiliation and to facilitate Dispute/Wanderer.

Cut Naga and a Wanderer for Monk and a land.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't think you're at the level to be shaving on lands. You're just setting yourself up for frustration.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i wouldn't run 16 lands unless you have a good amount of draw and/or your curve barely gets past 4 and even that's a stretch

remember, the 'hand smoothing' is just that there's two simulated opening hands out of your deck and it presents you with the one that has the "better" lands to spells ratio based on your deck's overall ratio. you're not guaranteed to have enough lands and it doesn't do anything additional after you mulligan or regarding your actual draws in the game, and if you're light on lands it might say 'hey, this 2 lander is better than a 4 lander' and you can just brick on a third land forever

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Also the deck is like half four drops so good luck casting them on time with 16 lands.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Draft #5

no chance you play 16 lands in this deck. You want those 4 drops to hit consistently on t4. Guardian Naga isn't big enough to tussle at the high end.

Lone Goat posted:

Cut Naga and a Wanderer for Monk and a land.

this is definitely the move

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Lone Goat posted:

Also the deck is like half four drops so good luck casting them on time with 16 lands.

A bit more than half the time on the draw, less than half the time on the play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
my opponent: are you ready for some extreme Bant Midrange bullshit? :smug:
me: oh don't worry. i'm playing Golgari value town. i have far more Pests than you have Depopulates :smug: