Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

blossommirage posted:

There is no blown save that's more fun to watch than Josh Hader.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Haders vacate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

shirts and skins posted:

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Haders vacate.

Chapman blown saves are fun too. Too bad he's stinking up the 7th innings instead now

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hader was unhittable until the Brewers last series with the Cubs where he blew back-to-back saves, after which he completely unraveled. So you're welcome. :v:

e. Also as usual ASG voting is a complete joke:
https://twitter.com/TheBlogfines/status/1548206799702016000

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1548340997230170115

Is it even possible to get equal value for trading away Soto? Dude is incredible.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

No I don't think so, but if they can't sign him they are going to have to try

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Like, I know he'll likely get more on the open market, but the prospect of turning down $440 million loving dollars makes my head spin.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pungry posted:

Is it even possible to get equal value for trading away Soto? Dude is incredible.

Knowing the nats the deal probably had something like $400M in deferrals.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Fine, we'll trade Jason Heyward

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pungry posted:

it depends on what you mean by equal value

Will they get a player who is ever as good as he is? Almost definitely no. Will they get players who combined will equal his value? Probably not, and that's not even counting the diminishing returns you have to apply for having that value spread out over multiple players instead of it just being one guy.

But if you're just gonna lose a guy to free agency for nothing? Then yeah the return they get might end up as good/better for the team over the long term.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

He’s still got two years after this one, are they really gonna try to trade him now/this winter?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

He’s still got two years after this one, are they really gonna try to trade him now/this winter?

Yeah this is what I was just about to post after checking how much service time he's got left. Why rush to trade him now when teams will still probably trip over themselves to sell the farm for one and a half years of him next season? Hell he'd still probably net a top-20 prospect type just as a rental to a competing team.

Nats have seemed in a really weird rush to figure out the Soto thing as if he were hitting FA this offseason and like, they've got until 2025 to figure this poo poo out.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They’re not really going anywhere and they can get more for him now

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
alright so will soto be a yankee, met, red sock ,or dodger?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

shirts and skins posted:

Like, I know he'll likely get more on the open market, but the prospect of turning down $440 million loving dollars makes my head spin.

Michael Conforto says hello.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sunk Dunk posted:

He will be a Marlin for half a season, sign a $500m deal, win an MVP then be traded to some weird team you wouldn't expect (like, iunno, the Rangers?) for like 2 middling prospects.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

At first glance I figured it’s impossible to sing a trade for a talent like Soto then I realized the Nats have significant bad money deals in Corbin and Strasburg they could package with him if they wanted to

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Basically for Soto to be traded now there needs to be a team that is a) competitive now or at least planning to be competitive before 2025, b) has a top tier farm system with multiple Top-20ish guys to headline, c) is willing to gut that system to get Soto. Glancing at MLB pipeline the only team that really potentially fits this mold is the Red Sox.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

Basically for Soto to be traded now there needs to be a team that is a) competitive now or at least planning to be competitive before 2025, b) has a top tier farm system with multiple Top-20ish guys to headline, c) is willing to gut that system to get Soto. Glancing at MLB pipeline the only team that really potentially fits this mold is the Red Sox.

Heyward and Madrigal for Soto plus eat the contracts of Strasburg and Corbin, who says no

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sunk Dunk posted:

We’re gonna see how badly the Yankees want to win the series this season.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Pungry posted:

God damnit

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Sydin posted:

I think the Yankees would have an outside shot, but it’d be some weird poo poo like Volpe, Dominguez and Peraza and/or Andujar to start, plus probably taking a Corbin salary dump and giving up on resigning Judge unless Hal suddenly decides he likes winning.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Sydin posted:

uhh don't the dodgers easily meet these criteria as well

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

go to https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trades/?team_filter=463 and filter by Team: Nationals for a lot of great content

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
i think the nationals would need 2 young solid players already playing in the majors plus like two top 25 prospects, feels tough

boston, san diego, dodgers, giants, yankees. can't imagine they'd trade with the mets

uggy fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 16, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It really depends on how the Nats value the Strasburg and Corbin contracts

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
can't imagine they'd tank their most valuable asset that way

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tatsuta Age posted:

uhh don't the dodgers easily meet these criteria as well

I guess? The Dodgers gutted the top of their farm for Turner and Scherzer. Fangraphs has them at the 11th best system with no players within the Top 25. MLB Pipeline is a bit more charitable with Cartaya and Miller at #13 and #26 respectively. The Dodgers could make up for their lack of blue chip guys with sheer prospect volume and take on some of the Nats dogshit contracts as well.

I guess another caveat is that a team trading for Soto is also presumably resigning itself to getting bent over the table to extend him, like I legit think Soto's gonna try for $50M AAV. This is why I'm ignoring teams like the Rays, who have the farm but would balk at paying Soto his expected arb rates, let alone what he wants in extension talks.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If there's any salary dumping involved in the Soto trade I might never stop laughing.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
anyone taking on those 3 contracts would not have a team ever again lol

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sunk Dunk posted:

anyone taking on those 3 contracts would not have a team ever again lol
its just money and it ain't mine

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
i think the cards could get there but wouldn't love it

it'd be like carlson, jordan walker, gorman, liberatore, one of if not both mcgreavy and graceffo. probably masyn wynn too

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Man that Strasburg deal is like shades of Ryan Howard

His arm fell off the instant the ink dried

Since he signed that deal coming off the 2019 WS MVP, he's pitched 31.1 major league innings with a 6.89 ERA and 5.69 FIP, good for -0.5 bWAR

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 16, 2022

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
do you think your teammates resent you for taking up that much salary space when you aren't contributing or is everyone just trying to get that bag?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

if they resent you for it then they're fuckin' rear end in a top hat bootlickers

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

anyway without digging too far into it (because hes obviously not coming to the braves) I bet soto ends up on the dodgers or mets, the two teams that have proven they truly do not care about spending bigly

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

been watching this Soto video

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/vz7iol/juan_soto_casually_talking_to_the_mariners/

the dude radiates total confidence at the plate. he's worth a lot.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly if I'm a team thinking of trading my farm for Soto + extending him you better already have a pretty good team assembled and in particular good pitching. Because if not you run the risk of becoming another Angels with a generational HOF hitter on your roster but you're stuck in the mud because the rest of the team is meh, your farm is barren, and everything ownership is willing to spend is tied up in a handful of huge contracts.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?
It's gonna be Baltimore or Seattle. They have every reason to do it in the next two weeks and the prospects and the salary space.

Boston and L.A. have the prospects and huge pockets but both teams have players on the team they need to re-sign. Some pockets seem limitless but there is always a limit.
Yankees could do it so super long shot for them, if they did it would be because they already plan on letting Judge walk.
San Diego and Toronto are firm sleepers. They always have prospects and at least at the moment want to win very badly.
I feel like i'm missing somebody.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bees x1000 posted:

been watching this Soto video

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/vz7iol/juan_soto_casually_talking_to_the_mariners/

the dude radiates total confidence at the plate. he's worth a lot.
of course he does, he's the closest thing to Ted Williams any of us will ever see

chilihead posted:

It's gonna be Baltimore or Seattle. They have every reason to do it in the next two weeks and the prospects and the salary space.

Boston and L.A. have the prospects and huge pockets but both teams have players on the team they need to re-sign. Some pockets seem limitless but there is always a limit.
Yankees could do it so super long shot for them, if they did it would be because they already plan on letting Judge walk.
San Diego and Toronto are firm sleepers. They always have prospects and at least at the moment want to win very badly.
I feel like i'm missing somebody.
:mets:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Sydin posted:

I guess? The Dodgers gutted the top of their farm for Turner and Scherzer. Fangraphs has them at the 11th best system with no players within the Top 25. MLB Pipeline is a bit more charitable with Cartaya and Miller at #13 and #26 respectively. The Dodgers could make up for their lack of blue chip guys with sheer prospect volume and take on some of the Nats dogshit contracts as well.

I guess another caveat is that a team trading for Soto is also presumably resigning itself to getting bent over the table to extend him, like I legit think Soto's gonna try for $50M AAV. This is why I'm ignoring teams like the Rays, who have the farm but would balk at paying Soto his expected arb rates, let alone what he wants in extension talks.

Gutting the top of their farm seems a little hyperbolic, Fangraphs had LAD's farm ranked 14th going into the 2021 season with both Gray and Ruiz and neither of them were top 25 guys. They've got 6 players in Pipeline's top 100 right now, they definitely got the farm to unload for anyone

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 16, 2022