Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Absolutely spoiled for choice with switch Shmups, the live wire, M2 and hamster ports of everything are all really good.

Probably enjoy Mushihimesama, esp ra de and G Darius the most

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Just found about Fightcade, and that it supports MAME titles. Battle Garegga is loving nuts lol

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mode 7 posted:

If you're willing to import or set up a Japanese eshop account, Aleste Collection is good and GG Aleste 3 in particular is fantastic.
If you like Defender style shmups, Aqua Kitty UDX is a fun time.

I have had a great time with both of these, they're fantastic.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

beer gas canister posted:

Just found about Fightcade, and that it supports MAME titles. Battle Garegga is loving nuts lol

Still probably the best shmup ever

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Switch Shmups, I found this list a while ago via googling, no idea who's maintaining it but it seems up-to-date and has almost every thing on there (also helpful for knowing sales)...very useful resource
https://www.dekudeals.com/lists/h9wbjf?sort=discount_amount

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Hat Thoughts posted:

Switch Shmups, I found this list a while ago via googling, no idea who's maintaining it but it seems up-to-date and has almost every thing on there (also helpful for knowing sales)...very useful resource

there is no escaping Sine Mora

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I wondered why Battle Bakraid isn't mentioned as much as Battle Garegga. But it was explained to me that Battle Greg is a much better name.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

if you play sine mora with a controller that has autofire it becomes a much better game. had autofire been included as a menu option it would've been a really good game

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

dishwasherlove posted:

I wondered why Battle Bakraid isn't mentioned as much as Battle Garegga. But it was explained to me that Battle Greg is a much better name.

Bakraid is amazing, as is all peak Raizing, I think it just gets forgotten about because it has never gotten a port and Batrider is slightly better rated.

I hope they are on M2's list once they have finished all the other stuff

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I would probably have to call Batrider my favourite Raizing game, but Bakraid isn't too far behind. Haven't played either in years now though. Garegga I've given chance upon chance but I keep reaching the conclusion that outside of the soundtrack I'm just not a fan of it.

Sine Mora might be the dullest shmup I've ever played.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Recommendations

Thanks! Wishlisted several of these.

I had a SHMUP stint like 20 years ago and bought a bunch of JP games from play-asia. Your list has several of the same games, i guess classics will be classics!

Binding of Isaac

I guess SHMUP doesn't have an official definition but this doesn't feel like one to me, though i can't really explain why.

bees x1000 posted:

some big ones

Eschatos
Darius Cozmic Collection Arcade
Crimzon Clover World Explosion
Thunder Force AC
Thunder Force IV

Great, thanks!
I can't find Thunder Force AC in the store. Is region locking still a thing?
Why is not Darius Cozmic Collection Console recommended?

bees x1000 posted:

oh yeah Capcom Arcade Stadium has good ones.

What is this? Like an app that has games inside it?

Hat Thoughts posted:

312 games, welp

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

Just to answer this one specifically, as a big Darius fan, there is nothing on that collection that is at all essential like on the arcade collection; it's just a bunch of ports of Darius I and II, and then the two SNES games (which, shockingly for an M2 port, have input lag issues). So you're basically paying more for the Console collection, for some of the least important games in the series. If you want more Darius, save the money you bought on that, and pick up G-Darius HD, the one great Darius arcade game missing from the Cozmic Collection Arcade pack (or Dariusburst AC EX+, but I'd probably say to pick up Dariusburst Chronicle Saviors on PS4 or PC instead unless you know you want to take that game on the go).

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Ineptitude posted:

I guess SHMUP doesn't have an official definition but this doesn't feel like one to me, though i can't really explain why.
i think it'd be considered a "borderliner" in the vein Smash TV but with way more mechanics. it's not really a shmup but it made me good enough at them to play bullet hells, and it's a barrel of fun

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

dishwasherlove posted:

I wondered why Battle Bakraid isn't mentioned as much as Battle Garegga.

My guess is that far fewer people play it seriously because the scoring system is some of the dumbest poo poo ever seen in any shmup.

Ineptitude posted:

It varies depending on who you ask. Some consider run-n-guns like OutZone, or twin-stick shooters like Isaac, to be shmups. I don't. Auto-scrolling is required, IMO.

Also, "shmup" isn't an acronym. Please stop capitalizing it, that's annoying.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 14, 2022

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
It stands for Special Heavy Machine Ultra Pilot, maybe learn.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'll allow for some twin stick shooters and no auto-scrolling but if it has gravity, it isn't a shmup :colbert:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ineptitude posted:

Thanks! Wishlisted several of these.

I had a SHMUP stint like 20 years ago and bought a bunch of JP games from play-asia. Your list has several of the same games, i guess classics will be classics!

Great, thanks!
I can't find Thunder Force AC in the store. Is region locking still a thing?

312 games, welp

Region locking isn’t a thing!! The switch is super easy you can literally make a JP account and even use foreign credit cards to buy stuff and it just works. The only downside is you start getting all sorts of emails and switch notifications in Japanese as well lol

I probably buy more switch games than PS/XBOX because they actually take my credit card. The switch is an amazing machine for playing old stuff handheld from around the world

Edit: Capcom arcade is a collection of games “wrapped” inside one yeah its a bit odd. You open the game and it has like 50 games inside you individually buy

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ineptitude posted:

I feel like some kind of forced progression is a key part*. I guess I'd consider Binding of Issac (or Enter the Gungeon for that matter) more of a dungeon crawler? There's a lot of [insert genre] games with shmup elements, or stuff with some common elements like run n guns or twin stick shooters. Speaking of the latter there, I like Assault Android Cactus.

*Course I'd say Black Bird is definitely a shmup, and in terms of forced progression it's pretty loose but arguably there in a sense.

quote:

Yeah basically like a compilation app, except you can buy the games individually. Progear is probably the highlight for most shmup players, but there's other ones in there too.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks for the recommendations!

I ended up buying Crimson Clover as it looked the most flashy. Kinda regret that as it isnt just hard but there are several bullet patterns that i don‘t understand how i can dodge.
Its fun to just chain continues and shoot millions of enemies though.

I guess i am too old to 1cc these games now.

Why are there no recommendations for the Gradius and R-Type games? Is this secretly the bullet hell thread?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ineptitude posted:

Why are there no recommendations for the Gradius and R-Type games? Is this secretly the bullet hell thread?

There aren't nearly as many new games made in that style nowadays and they typically scratch a different itch to vertical/bulet hell games, so liking one style doesn't guarantee you'll like the other.

Natsuki Chronicles and Andro Dunos 2 are some good new-ish games in that vein, off the top of my head.

R-Type 2's not bad either, but the ugliness of the game and technical issues on certain platforms might be a turnoff, and the really good levels are in the paid DLC. The developers are still updating the game pretty regularly, too.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Wouldn't recommend Gradius 3 arcade to a bitter enemy

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gradius Gaiden is one of the best shmups ever made. I'll recommend that poo poo all day. You want to see a game dripping with the effort and love that went into it, go play Gaiden.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ineptitude posted:

Dariusburst CS is excellent if you're looking for one of those, but it's also a seven year game that's still priced at $50.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Ineptitude posted:

I ended up buying Crimson Clover as it looked the most flashy. Kinda regret that as it isnt just hard but there are several bullet patterns that i don‘t understand how i can dodge.

Here are some really great tips that will instantly make you better at bullet hells. I'm a scrub and it improved my play immediately. Skip to 6:00 to get directly to movement tech and dodging:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mje1q66Zazo

strongly recommend Danmaku Unlimited 3 for an easier start

also reposting this because it is so good, here's a big list of Switch shmups on Deku Deals, there may be a cheap indie that suits your needs: https://www.dekudeals.com/lists/h9wbjf?sort=discount_amount

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 17, 2022

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Social Animal posted:

Progear on the Capcom Arcade Stadium is only 99 cents on the US store right now. Fun horizontal Cave/Capcom game.

I bought this and it kinda owns

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

Novice Original 1cc is definitely beatable, at least it was for a shmup noob like me.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

Dariusburst CS is excellent if you're looking for one of those, but it's also a seven year game that's still priced at $50.

Specifically Dariusburst CS?

Theres a list of games on the wiki, are they different games or re-releases?

I only have the Switch to play on; there is a game on switch called Dariusburst Another Chronicle EX+, im assuming it is a different game to CS? The wiki speaks of Dariusburst in singular form but also calls Another Chronicle a related arcade game.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

same and it is kicking my rear end. it has an unusual bullet canceling mechanic that goes like this:

Bullets are cancelled by catching them in explosions created by enemies when they are destroyed. Rapid fire (basic) shots that kill enemies will convert nearby bullets to rings, which grant points. Every ring collected increases a counter in the lower left corner of the screen. When enemies are killed with the homing shot (focus fire), they convert bullets into gems. The higher the ring level (represented by an icon), the bigger the gem.

Now, gems (NOT rings) can ALSO convert bullets into gems if they touch a bullet as they spawn. This can lead to cascades of bullet conversions under the right circumstances. It also means that larger gems = easier bullet conversions. The general cycle of scoring via rings/gems goes like this:
Rapid shot (converts bullets to rings via explosions) -> Focus shot (sucks up rings and converts bullets to gems via explosions, potentially causing a cascade) -> Release focus shot (sucks up gems) -> repeat
This means that good scoring is necessary for managing overall bullet density. Apparently a common tactic is to use large enemies to generate rings, then gems to manage large mob bullets.

Also, bombs damage your score more than losing a life, because they gently caress up your ring/gem counter, which acts as a multiplier or something. Also you get a big score bonus when overfull with bombs. You'll see the bomb marker change when it happens. I've been grinding to make the 1.6 mil minimum to get on the scoreboards but the best I've managed in 900k by mid 2nd level :negative:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ineptitude posted:

Super Hydorah!

...I'd say it's still hard but can't say I've put that much time into it either. I think it does have the same restart mechanic as those two games which doesn't help. Satazius is another one that used to be mentioned a good bit but never played it myself, iirc overall reception was good but vaguely recall some complaints about it too.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Side note, try the JP version to get the voices :eng101:. That's the one I played in MAME way back and was confused when I played it in CAS the first time and it seemed oddly quiet. Didn't realize the US version cut them out entirely until I looked it up.

Ineptitude posted:

I only have the Switch to play on; there is a game on switch called Dariusburst Another Chronicle EX+, im assuming it is a different game to CS? The wiki speaks of Dariusburst in singular form but also calls Another Chronicle a related arcade game.
CS isn't on the Switch unfortunately, for some reason. It's more or less a console optimized port (I'll get to that in a sec) plus various stuff/modes/etc. AC EX+ I think is the penultimate arcade version, which normally I'd say is great too (in a general sense)...but Dariusburst in the arcades is made for a double widescreen setup, so playing on a regular 16:9 screen at home gives either major black bars on top and bottom, or a sideways pan and scan type of deal. That's the biggest thing I want CS for myself.

Also, bombs damage your score more than losing a life, because they gently caress up your ring/gem counter, which acts as a multiplier or something. Also you get a big score bonus when overfull with bombs. You'll see the bomb marker change when it happens. I've been grinding to make the 1.6 mil minimum to get on the scoreboards but the best I've managed in 900k by mid 2nd level :negative:
Do bombs do more damage to our score if we're not that great to begin with? :cry: While I do try to score, cause yeah there's a nice synergy of the scoring mechanic also being a key to survival, I figure at my level just surviving longer is usually gonna be worth more than the cost of a bomb.

It was kicking my rear end last night, couldn't even pass stage 2 a bunch of the time, and the one time I did I think I ended up just under 1.6M. Back closer to the game came out I had a ridiculous run (at least by my standards, never being that good at the game) and ended up with something like 7.8M on the last stage. But I'm most proud of getting Rivet to max meters on one of the in between level score screens.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
If you can somehow swing a Japanese eshop account, I’d consider the Shark port collection. I enjoyed Flying Shark a ton, and I hear Fire Shark is just as good if not better, though it’s also fiendishly difficult.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Apparently the Arcade Classics port of Progear has to the default difficulty set too high in the US version. I have to reset it every time I launch the game.

quote:

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1474575#p1474575
If the US version is set to 4, it sounds like it's an oversight with how the defaults are configured on this release. As mentioned earlier in this thread, on CPS-2 arcade games, the Japanese version is generally set at 4 and the US version set at 2. For Giga Wing, the difficulty slider doesn't appear to do much if anything, but in Progear, the difficulty slider has a tremendous impact on bullet speeds.

In both Giga Wing and Progear, it appears the difficulty is configured so that the 2 in the US version is close or fairly equivalent to the 4 in the Japanese version (especially if you're scoring well and the game rank cranks up, I can't tell much of a difference if there is one). I suspect it's so that the US version can be cranked up higher overall (+6 compared to +4 in the JP ver). If this release defaults the US version to difficulty 4, then it's actually +2 harder than the JP ver! No wonder it's harder on the "defaults" on this compilation.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Ineptitude posted:

The way I've come to understand it: DBACEX+ is the definitive home version of the arcade game, having some things in it that no other port has had to date. Chronicle Saviours, which is only on PS4 and Vita, does have Another Chronicle EX mode, and also has the console-only CS Mode, consisting of 186 separate stages. There's also DLC Mode, which you get by, well, buying DLC ships. So currently, there exists no version of Burst that has all content.

EDIT: STOP THE loving PRESSES

INBACHI HAS BEEN DEFEATED

I REPEAT INBACHI HAS BEEN DEFEATED

Ten years after the release of Saidaioujou, the final step of Cave's ever-escalating ridiculous TLBs has actually been beaten at all with the actual amount of lives and bombs you're meant to have—the previous milestone reached was it being beaten with the settings of one more life than you'd have when reaching it normally, and one extra bomb per stock.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 17, 2022

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Apparently the Arcade Classics port of Progear has to the default difficulty set too high in the US version. I have to reset it every time I launch the game.

Just play the JP version it has the voices too. Glad people liking Progear, it's a very fun one and I love how the scoring system helps survival.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

KennyMan666 posted:

The way I've come to understand it: DBACEX+ is the definitive home version of the arcade game, having some things in it that no other port has had to date. Chronicle Saviours, which is only on PS4 and Vita, does have Another Chronicle EX mode, and also has the console-only CS Mode, consisting of 186 separate stages. There's also DLC Mode, which you get by, well, buying DLC ships. So currently, there exists no version of Burst that has all content.

Chronicle Saviours is also on Steam, which means you can run it on two screens if you have them.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

steam and not, to the best of my knowledge, switch, but I've got a soft spot for meglio and vulkaiser

https://store.steampowered.com/app/437020/WITCHBOT_MEGLILO/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/349680/Supercharged_Robot_VULKAISER/

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

KennyMan666 posted:

EDIT: STOP THE loving PRESSES

INBACHI HAS BEEN DEFEATED

I REPEAT INBACHI HAS BEEN DEFEATED

Ten years after the release of Saidaioujou, the final step of Cave's ever-escalating ridiculous TLBs has actually been beaten at all with the actual amount of lives and bombs you're meant to have—the previous milestone reached was it being beaten with the settings of one more life than you'd have when reaching it normally, and one extra bomb per stock.

Jaimers is so good. The little dance near the end was cute, too. I was excited as well.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I saw that yesterday. I'm perplexed why he didn't post the entire run. Guessing it's because he uses savestates to practice and this footage is from a practice session.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Ofecks posted:

I saw that yesterday. I'm perplexed why he didn't post the entire run. Guessing it's because he uses savestates to practice and this footage is from a practice session.

Yep basically. No one has defeated inbachi in an actual run yet but Sairyou and now Jaimers have done it in practice.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I don't understand— I thought the final boss of SDOJ was Sans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
still not passing the minimum scoreboard threshold for Progear but i'm getting drat close. ended up 50k short during this run

https://imgur.com/NgpFVyx.mp4