Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Alright Westworld I'm back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Took me forever to figure out where I knew the leader of the people with Bernard was, and it's Sonny from Into the Badlands. I loved that show, for all it's camp it really was fun to watch.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I’m enjoying that not only is The Rehearsal doing Bernard’s plot from this season, but it’s way more dramatic and compelling.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
WestWorld Season IV: Just when I thought I was out, They pull me back in!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

seaborgium posted:

Took me forever to figure out where I knew the leader of the people with Bernard was, and it's Sonny from Into the Badlands. I loved that show, for all it's camp it really was fun to watch.

Goddamnit, now I remembered Into The Badlands again and am upset (again) that it got cancelled. What a fun show that was.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This season is good somehow?

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I'm sorry but I just hate Tessa Thompson in anything I've ever seen. This season is agony.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I don't really get the feeling that she is some version/variant of Delores that aspect just isn't working.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

socialsecurity posted:

I don't really get the feeling that she is some version/variant of Delores that aspect just isn't working.
Yeah. She really feels more like the original Hale turned up to 11.

Codependent Poster posted:

But like, what happened to Caleb? Is he a host? If he's not dead, then why does he look the same?
Why wouldn't he be dead? Or a host? They lay it on pretty thick that he died that day and was remade as a host.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

SyRauk posted:

I'm sorry but I just hate Tessa Thompson in anything I've ever seen. This season is agony.

She’s probably a sweet person in reality, and i’ve got nothing against her really. I just often feel like she’s playing just a ever so slightly different version of bland in everything she does.

Her Charlotte/Dolores character on Westworld having the smug factor turned up to 11 doesn’t really endear her performance to anyone, either.

Though there’s a few episodes left this season, so maybe i’ll be proven wrong.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I am extremely looking forward, on the other hand, to seeing a resurrected Maeve working alongside Bernard & Pals to bring down that evil WiFi tower with her mind and/or large shape charges. That poo poo could be awesome.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Well, gently caress, I was right about boilerplate dialogue being a tell.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Marsupial Ape posted:

I like how Caleb shouldered the Tommy Gun and fired it in controlled bursts like a non-dumbshit.

Point of order: BAR

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I had to check out Tessa Thompson's iMDB to see if there was something I've enjoyed her in and there is! I liked her in Sorry To Bother You and iirc she was fine to good in Veronica Mars.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

this might be a dumb question but why didn't they just kill halores. like immediately. kill her, rip her head off. sure she probably has more copies somewhere or whatever but they just needed to know what her plan was right, they didn't actually need her for anything? seems like a good course of action would've been to kill her, finish off the william host, then just take your time in the lab working stuff out before whatever william and halores backups turn up

because if i'm maeve or caleb gently caress if i'm listening to her obnoxious monologuing for even one more second than i have to. especially after she's already put the flies in my brain. "maeve, she put flies in my head, loving kill her already"

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Season is good but in addition to the above:

WTF with hacking Caleb's "limbics"...?

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Season is good but in addition to the above:

WTF with hacking Caleb's "limbics"...?

nearly everyone has these implants "drips" in the roof of their mouth they use to eat chips that provide some vr environment or other drugs, introduced in first episode of season 3. caleb had his deactivated, and i think it was an even fancier military version

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
What a fun moment when Caleb overcomes the flies and triumphantly shoots old Jimmi Simpson and hes so proud and gives a sweet line to Hale and Maeve is so proud too shes looking back over her shoulder at him like yeah we did it

and then he gets up because oh yeah, everyone in the scene knows you didn't actually solve anything by shooting a robot one time

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Victory Lap posted:

What a fun moment when Caleb overcomes the flies and triumphantly shoots old Jimmi Simpson and hes so proud and gives a sweet line to Hale and Maeve is so proud too shes looking back over her shoulder at him like yeah we did it

and then he gets up because oh yeah, everyone in the scene knows you didn't actually solve anything by shooting a robot one time

It's one of the reasons I love this show. Very rarely is a gunshot going to do jack poo poo other than make everything worse. (The correct way to fight is robot jedi mind tricks while the soundtrack kicks in at full volume and is kicking rad while everyone wears awesome wardrobes in perfect environments.)

Also, holy poo poo does Teddy and D have amazing chemistry. That restaurant scene was fire.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So can somebody explain the s4 timelines to me like I am 10?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

LionArcher posted:

It's one of the reasons I love this show. Very rarely is a gunshot going to do jack poo poo other than make everything worse. (The correct way to fight is robot jedi mind tricks while the soundtrack kicks in at full volume and is kicking rad while everyone wears awesome wardrobes in perfect environments.)

Also, holy poo poo does Teddy and D have amazing chemistry. That restaurant scene was fire.

I like to believe we’re to the point in the campaign that the Game Master would be letting William’s player upgrade his character’s morph with combat hardware. Honestly, it would have been cooler if the BAR had actually ripped William in half, but he still made shot Maeve because he’s crawling around like Bishop at the end of Aliens.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So is Dolores in the real world or a simulated world? I figured it was a simulated world, but the latest episode makes it seem like it could be that she's in the real world full of humans controlled by the parasite. When she writes her story lines for the game, those are then being played out by real people controlled by the parasite. And now that I'm thinking about it, people kept contacting her about "the tower" and now there is a big tower with the big mind control speaker on it. So maybe she's writing game pitches, but then the company is taking them and making real people do it to keep testing the parasite.

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001

stephenthinkpad posted:

timeline 1: 8? years after season 3, Caleb/Maeve stuff, probably done with that

timeline 2: 23? years after timeline one, or maybe 23 years after season 3? Bernard's stuff and probably Delores too

the scenes of Hale/Willy consolidating power with the senator and whatever were before timeline 1 sometime

Victory Lap fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 18, 2022

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Ok what are Bernard and old Hemsworth trying to do this season?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

stephenthinkpad posted:

Ok what are Bernard and old Hemsworth trying to do this season?

I think everybody is caught up. I think Bernard and Lesser Liam are joining the Resistance against Queen Hale and will use Maeve, of course, Caleb re-instanced as a host, most likely to combat his own daughter since she in Resistance leadership and Dolores is definitely writing the lives of parasite infected citizens and doesn’t realize it.

Or, real simple: Hale = SkyNet and Maeve = Sarah Connor

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

stephenthinkpad posted:

26 years ago: Charlorris develops some kind of mind control, infects population using flies + takes over government with synths. Caleb and Maev try to follow that trail and get jumped. Caleb is uploaded into a synth and running through simulation.

In between: some kind of crap is going where mind controlled humans are in their IRL simulation, which gets reset occasionally? Dolores respawns and is involved in it somehow (she works at the same building where Charlorris keeps Caleb).

Now: Bernard comes out of statis, and simulated a whole bunch of possibilities, meets up with C (Calebs daughter) and leads her to where Maev is buried to use her as weapon.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Marsupial Ape posted:

I think everybody is caught up. I think Bernard and Lesser Liam are joining the Resistance against Queen Hale and will use Maeve, of course, Caleb re-instanced as a host, most likely to combat his own daughter since she in Resistance leadership and Dolores is definitely writing the lives of parasite infected citizens and doesn’t realize it.

Or, real simple: Hale = SkyNet and Maeve = Sarah Connor

You meant Maeve is T1000 and Caleb's daughter is John Connor?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think Dolores and Teddy are in the real world because of how her roommate talks about the flies getting her and her parents. Dolores might be the Dolores that was in Hale, and Hale purged her somehow? Or there were backups or something. No explanation for Teddy, but he remembers who he used to be. He's probably a good guy here.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah Dolores is in the real world "fly story" and all the timelines converged this episode

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

stephenthinkpad posted:

You meant Maeve is T1000 and Caleb's daughter is John Connor?

Fair. Does that mean that Bernard is Sarah Connor?

For those of you annoyed by black boxes, I am making a half joking argument that this season is good because it’s basically a Terminator movie and Hale pulled a ‘soft SkyNet’.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I love the implication that Stubbs was just kicking around the hotel for a quarter of a century.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif
So Caleb isn't dead, like William they're frozen in a facility somewhere, streaming a bootlgged version of their minds out to a Host body with built-in limiters?

The host versions clearly don't remember each iteration, but the human versions most likely do.

I imagine there's sweet revenge for Delores in William living is a tortured slave. Calebs situation is less clear, why do it to him?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I wonder if Bernard was super loving thirsty when he woke up. Obviously, host flesh doesn’t degrade or at least decay, when protected from the elements. Though, you would assume that it still requires hydration to keep it’s synthetic muscles working. You’d think he’d dry out after a couple decades.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Missing the war because you're too busy waiting decades for your friend to finish his nap is some real middling Hemsworth energy.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

I wonder if Bernard was super loving thirsty when he woke up. Obviously, host flesh doesn’t degrade or at least decay, when protected from the elements. Though, you would assume that it still requires hydration to keep it’s synthetic muscles working. You’d think he’d dry out after a couple decades.

Writers missed out on Stubbs showing up with a cooler full of Gatorades for Bernard and stands there in awe as Bernard chugs, like, 20 of them. Consecutively. Then he burps for 20 seconds and says “Alright. Let’s go.”

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Suprised Stubbs couldnt come up with better jokes after 23 years. Guess robot comedians were too fantastical for west world

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Missing the war because you're too busy waiting decades for your friend to finish his nap is some real middling Hemsworth energy.

And he doesn't bother to wipe the spider web off Bernard. Not even use a duster.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

BooDooBoo posted:

So Caleb isn't dead, like William they're frozen in a facility somewhere, streaming a bootlgged version of their minds out to a Host body with built-in limiters?

The host versions clearly don't remember each iteration, but the human versions most likely do.

I imagine there's sweet revenge for Delores in William living is a tortured slave. Calebs situation is less clear, why do it to him?

No, Caleb is (probably) actually dead.

A big part of the earlier seasons is how one main purpose of Westworld was to collect training data on people, allowing the creation of host copies.

William isn't aware of what his host copies are doing either, beyond when he's defrosted and taunted about it.

stephenthinkpad posted:

And he doesn't bother to wipe the spider web off Bernard. Not even use a duster.

Hey, Bernard said not to touch anything!

With the tower, it seems to be a clear mirror of hosts in a park. The housemate doesn't know what the tower is, looks like part of the instructions given to humans is that the control towers don't look like anything to them.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 19, 2022

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I wonder if the people at the diner are also infected or maybe this some weird “outside the city walls” type outcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah, it's kind of funny to think about the logistics of Stubbs and Bernard chilling out in some motel room for 23 years, it would probably make more sense if it had been a private home. And you'd think Stubbs would have dusted the place but I suppose you might not want to interrupt Bernard's adventures in the sublime.