Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Meathook Massacre will show up as 2 cards in packs because it was nerfed in Alchemy so there are two versions

I know, I mean it showed it up as 2x normal version when I got it and now also during deck construction.

edit: It's the same with Alchemy deck construction, shows up as 2 orange pips, not greyed out in deck list until I try to add a 3rd, but only actually lets me build the deck with 1.

Algid fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

DeeEmTee posted:

https://streamable.com/w5uzzy Does the same thing if I switch format to one with the alchemy version. I crafted them so idk what’s going on.

Those are two completely different Omnaths from two different sets

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

Those are two completely different Omnaths from two different sets

Yeah? We’re talking about Omnath, Locus of Creation specifically, the one that is going in and out of the deck.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

DeeEmTee posted:

Yeah? We’re talking about Omnath, Locus of Creation specifically, the one that is going in and out of the deck.

You own two of of them and they both went in, what's the issue here?

Are you trying to get both the regular version and alchemy version in the same deck? Because that's not going to work.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I believe the issue is that he can't add more than 2 to the deck and it doesn't prompt him to craft more because the game thinks he owns 4.

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

Are you trying to get both the regular version and alchemy version in the same deck? Because that's not going to work.

Dude can you please stop responding to me if you can’t read? It says I need to craft one when I go to queue. Literally a small child could pick up on this.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Oh this looks good. The wincon is Kaya multiplying your many kinds of tokens? I’ll give it a spin.

Edit wow, and for 3 mythic wcs? Sold!

Yeah, if your opponent allows for it to happen, turn 3 kaya, turn 4 hellkite, turn 5 minus on kaya and slap down a burn down the house for 2 5/5 flyers and 6 devils is friggin hilarious

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

fridge corn posted:

I had the exact same plan as Simply Simon to have a janky yet playable deck in every colour combo and it took me over a year of playing to manage that. Actually I still dont have a simic deck but that's okay cuz I've got a deck in every 3 colour combo too. The main hurdle was obviously the lands but once you have them you've probably managed to collect most the other good cards anyway.
It's really funny that there's three of us now that had issues with making a Simic deck

MikeCrotch posted:

One note here is that

You want to be careful about raw card advantage i.e. spells that do nothing but draw cards. These have not been very good in limited for a while as sets these days are chock full of creatures you create value for themselves like Priest of Ancient Lore, so you can usually get card advantage from spells that also affect the board while also drawing you a land/card. Those types of cards *are* very good and usually some of the best in the set.

Ofc context is key with limited but you should start from the premise that a card that says "2U sorcery, draw 2 cards" is not usually going to be a very good limited card.
Very good info, thanks. I suspect that watching the newest Jim Davis stuff right now will make me miss stuff like that which he has talked about tons of times and thinks is blatantly obvious, and of course he is using untapped.gg, so there's lots of cards with low ratings he agrees with and I'm like "but why doesn't he even look at thaaaat I thought it was good?!".

Priest of Ancient Lore actually surprised me with how highly it was valued, I didn't get that at all. I've seen it in use from him now but it seemed like a worse version of the New Capenna card with flying (because, well, it is) but admittedly I didn't even see the value in the latter :D. Much to learn.

fridge corn posted:

For Azorius csnt go wrong with a little Illuminator Virtuoso list such as

[snip]
Wow, I could actually craft this right now! Helps that I got 3 Virtuosos, they're in my Counters deck. I might do something based on that, lots of simple commons, and I'll stick to basic lands including the phat Mystics that there's no way I can cast them without heavy fixing, also they cost precious wildcards obviously. Ledger Shredder is just very very good, even if I pivot to Artorius = "sth with fliers", I can easily include them, so I might just shell out for them.

The Hellkite list is a little more daunting - I could build that, but I'd rather try and improve my Izzet Wizards deck. I'll probably take some inspiration from it regarding what spells are actually good.

DeeEmTee posted:

Has anyone ever had problems with Arena showing that you own more of a card than it will let you play? I’m trying to play Omnath and it will only let me use one copy of either version (alchemy or print) despite showing that I own multiple. Support told me this is impossible but I can drop a video if anyone needs to see what I’m talking about.
I had the same issue recently when I wanted to add a second Sepulcher Ghoul to my black deck! It kept telling me "nuh uh you don't own enough copies" even though I clearly did. Had to take out one, and then it worked. Similar situation with the Alchemy change to it, probably?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

It says the deck contains cards not in collection after saving the deck with the two Locus Omnaths that it displays owning.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Simply Simon posted:

Priest of Ancient Lore actually surprised me with how highly it was valued, I didn't get that at all. I've seen it in use from him now but it seemed like a worse version of the New Capenna card with flying (because, well, it is) but admittedly I didn't even see the value in the latter :D. Much to learn.

One analyst said "there are only 6 cards in the set I would first pick over Inspiring Overseer" so a step down from that is still very good

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

LibrarianCroaker posted:

It says the deck contains cards not in collection after saving the deck with the two Locus Omnaths that it displays owning.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally add a sideboard? I've had one card from a playset go in there and confuse me when I can't add/craft a 4th for the main deck.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Inspiring Overseer is possibly the best limited common ever, only cards I can think of that comes close are Sprout Swarm in Future Sight and Pestilence in Urza's Saga

Fun fact the prevailing wisdom at the time for drafting Urza's Saga was "one of the people at this table will not be able to draft black. The aim is to not be that person."

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

DeeEmTee posted:

https://streamable.com/w5uzzy Does the same thing if I switch format to one with the alchemy version. I crafted them so idk what’s going on.

Algid posted:

I have the same issue with meathook massacre, shows I have 2, then says I don't have enough cards when I try to confirm deck.

I think it's a weird display issue since it also showed up as two cards when I got it as an icr.

while investigating this on my mobile client, I did a search in arena for "explorer-legal mythic rare cards I own exactly two copies of." It gave me a bunch of cards that fulfilled that criteria (it didn't show me Omnath LOC, of which I own 4), but it also listed Demilich, a card which the game shows I own 4 copies of. I do remember owning 2 before it got alchemized, and crafting 2 more after. When I added 2 Demilich to a deck of basic lands, it saved just fine... when I added 3 or 4, I got the error you got, "Deck contains cards not in your collection."

So it seems that there is some discrepancy between how many copies of a card you actually own, and how many the game thinks you own when building a deck. the common thread between these three cases is they're all mythic cards that received alchemy rebalances. My working theory is that if you crafted copies of a real card after it got an alchemy version, the game has conflicting info about how many you own.

I'm submitting a bug report, hopefully it gets resolved because this is a pretty nasty issue

e: also tested with STX will/Rowan, meathook, and alrund. same issue, and they all have rebalanced alchemy versions.

kalel fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 18, 2022

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

It's not just Mythics.

1 Sepulcher Ghoul, deck is fine

add another one...

...and it's not. See the two ghouls peeking out bottom left for reference.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
probably old news to most of you, but i just now notieced that they finally fixed it so that you can use card arts from old sets in Standard now

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.

kalel posted:

while investigating this on my mobile client, I did a search in arena for "explorer-legal mythic rare cards I own exactly two copies of." It gave me a bunch of cards that fulfilled that criteria (it didn't show me Omnath LOC, of which I own 4), but it also listed Demilich, a card which the game shows I own 4 copies of. I do remember owning 2 before it got alchemized, and crafting 2 more after. When I added 2 Demilich to a deck of basic lands, it saved just fine... when I added 3 or 4, I got the error you got, "Deck contains cards not in your collection."

So it seems that there is some discrepancy between how many copies of a card you actually own, and how many the game thinks you own when building a deck. the common thread between these three cases is they're all mythic cards that received alchemy rebalances. My working theory is that if you crafted copies of a real card after it got an alchemy version, the game has conflicting info about how many you own.

I know this is a silly question, but wizards and all, but could you theoretically craft the alchemy version and not get the copy of the regular card? I always was wary of crafting those cards because I believe both the "alchemized" updated version and the regular card come up.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

You only have too few creatures and too much removal and augments.

Parish-Blade Trainee stinks because Training never triggers. Play the other 2 drops, they're not very good either but they're better, and you're short on action.
Yeah I put in the wolf and vampire hunter instead of that and the aura.

Went 7-1, with the only loss being a game where I lost 3 turns by disconnecting twice. Got paired with a mythic last game where I saw anje and olivia on their side.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Standingstoic posted:

I know this is a silly question, but wizards and all, but could you theoretically craft the alchemy version and not get the copy of the regular card? I always was wary of crafting those cards because I believe both the "alchemized" updated version and the regular card come up.

it shouldn't be possible unless the devs hosed up somewhere, and, well,

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I had two Dwarfhold Champion and crafted two more Alchemy versions, got the two normal ones as well. Then I was able to craft a deck using four normal ones.

I will not be performing this experiment on mythics.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

maybe granting icr's of alchemized cards is hosed up somehow?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

kalel posted:

granting icr's of alchemized cards is hosed up

I'll say!

Give me real card ICRs.

kertap
Mar 13, 2010
I just started playing this and I’m having a blast.

I had to create a second account because something got messed up with my white color challenge and I couldn’t finish it and when I contacted support they gave me all the two color decks but I messed that up too by quitting the app before I got them all.

I was all embarrassed so I just created a new account and did all the color challenges and now I’m unlocking the two color decks the normal way and it’s great fun.

The werewolves deck (On the Hunt) was great crack. That was a janky mechanic but I won a bunch which was nice.

Angelic Accountants was fun too with all its token shenanigans.

I’ve used all my jump in tokens. The worst one was the last one where I picked dragons and some kind of graveyard manipulation. Getting a win with that was like pulling teeth.

Why is alchemy considered more expensive than standard?

Are there any articles or posts about building your first deck with the cards you get when starting out or should I look at upgrading my starting decks?

Is it worth doing the quick draft or should I save for the baldurs gate drafts?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

kertap posted:

Why is alchemy considered more expensive than standard?

So basically there's three parts to this. One is that a greater proportion of alchemy cards for the alchemy sets have been rare or mythic which means you'd be spending more rare or mythic wildcards on your deck which are a rarer resource.

Two is that IN THEORY constant rebalances will lead go a constantly shifting meta where you need to switch up your deck a lot and that means spending more wildcards, but in actually they haven't ended up rebalancing that often.

Three is that if you're just... moderately patient as a free to play player you can have 80% of relevant cards already in your collection after around a year of playing, so the wildcards you get are probably enough to complete just about any deck you want at that point, but alchemy means there's about half again as many relevant cards, so your wildcards might not be enough enough keep up anymore. Just starting out this isn't particular worse than for standard but after a while of playing it it probably ends up more and more true.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Any brawl meta where my lovely rocco deck can't assemble a 3 card infinite combo in like 10 games is way too tryhard.

They loving killed a casual format wtf

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
Went 4-0 in the event with RG dragons. Seemed pretty good but every oppo was playing white, so maybe soft competition. The key is 5 mana dragons on 4 mana because you can almost always ramp to it a turn earlier

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Huh, the precon ninja deck is surprisingly good against the blue-white connive deck, you've got so many effects that are attached to creatures that their protection tends to be net card disadvantage and a lot of the time Ninjutsu even lets you repeat them.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

kertap posted:

I had to create a second account because something got messed up with my white color challenge and I couldn’t finish it and when I contacted support they gave me all the two color decks but I messed that up too by quitting the app before I got them all.

I don't think you can mess that up by quitting, the collection stuff isn't just locally stored. check your collection as you probably got all of the cards for the decks you were supposed to.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

kertap posted:

I just started playing this and I’m having a blast.

Hey, welcome. It's kinda buried in the OP but if you haven't already be sure to check out all the active Arena codes that give you free packs, cosmetics, etc. Cashing all them in should give you a small pile of wildcards plus whatever you crack open, most of which probably isn't standard legal but hey, free poo poo.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
It is once again time to play one of arena's good formats:

Are there even any pauper playable cards in the new alchemy sets? I only did a casual look and didn't find any.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Only the latest set has any alchemy cards at common. I'd think Patriar's humiliation could work in some go-wide decks and Ill bet someone out there has added Blur to their momentary blink deck. On the jankier end, a person dedicated to growing a Quandrix pledgemage or Spellgorger weird might look at You line up the shot and see a cheap cantrip that can sometimes double as two spells in one.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I originally thought that I could use drafting BG to shore up my collection with some of the reprinted cards (because I didn't play when most of them were current), so I'd get some cool Alchemy cards but also some value for Standard, but considering the cards themselves...there isn't that much good stuff there, is it? And because they're ripped out of their sets, it's hard to fit them to a theme. Like, say I open Nalia d'Arnise (actually, I did). I could of course draft some random Clerics, Wizards and Warriors (she's a Rouge herself) to assemble the Party. But if I wanted to make a Party-based constructed deck, there's nothing else in the set I could pick up. No Packbeast, no fitting Legends like Burakos, Archpriest of Iona, Deadly Alliance...(I'm just scryfalling "Party" cards, I don't know any of these cards or if they're good). You could maybe build a Dragon deck, but even there a lot of the pieces are obviously missing.

Even though I have nothing against Alchemy, I don't know if it's a great idea to draft this set. If I draft e.g. a Connive deck in New Capenna, I get tons of cards I don't have to Wildcard to build a deck around the mechanic, because a lot of the 1-mana-tricks needed are common.

Am I wrong in thinking this and there's more to the set than I'm seeing? I'm reconsidering my "oh that looks neat" stance because I watched Jim Davis draft a few decks now, and most of the cards he gets to play with are really only good in Limited, which is fun and all, but I'd like to have some extra value for later.

EDIT: Hell, I can't even open useful lands

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

That's why I'm doing VOW quick drafts right now. It's super swingy lol.

Draft 1: My only coherent draft deck with a theme so far, BR blood, went 6-3 by swinging in with decent C and U vampires and 4x wedding invitations.

Draft 2: Some terrible UB pile I think, didn't actually really have good exploit synergy or good rares so I got rolled 0-3.

Draft 3: GWr ramp, terrible low end of the curve, but had good fixing so I splashed for Halana and Alena, got completely destroyed by counterspells, with my RG legend eating two overcharged amalgam two games in a row. My cultivator colossus also got countered and I ended 0-3.

Draft 4: I don't really remember except that I had multiple hookhand mariners, didn't really have any synergy. Went 2-3.

Draft 5: RW aggro(?) had 6 pieces of removal and 2 red bombs, puppeteer and arsonist. Two drops were pretty bad, but fortunately puppeteer doesn't care about that and arsonist is strong enough it can do a lot of work by itself. Went 7-1.

Draft 6: WBG, woops, I dropped my monster fixing, that I use for my magnum bombs, currently 6-2, will finish the last game tomorrow.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I know people told me to cut it... but thank you Tormod's Crypt for enabling me to deal exactly 11 damage and steal this game lol

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Algid posted:

That's why I'm doing VOW quick drafts right now. It's super swingy lol.
Oh drat, that sounds sweet. I think I'll do that. It's even in the next standard still, right?

Actually, there's something I considered. A bit ago, people (or at least one of you) wanted me to discuss my picks to help me get better at drafting, and I really appreciated that. However, it was a lot to type up, and a lot to remember. Well, I have experience recording and commenting gameplay videos. Would there be any interest itt if I recorded my next draft - Quick Draft is ideal, no time pressure - and games thereafter? Not necessarily first and foremost as a learning tool for me, though it might end up helping me a lot, recording mistakes and learning from them, but you could also laugh at my errors both in drafting and playing. Maybe it's just a good time.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Simply Simon posted:

Oh drat, that sounds sweet. I think I'll do that. It's even in the next standard still, right?

Actually, there's something I considered. A bit ago, people (or at least one of you) wanted me to discuss my picks to help me get better at drafting, and I really appreciated that. However, it was a lot to type up, and a lot to remember. Well, I have experience recording and commenting gameplay videos. Would there be any interest itt if I recorded my next draft - Quick Draft is ideal, no time pressure - and games thereafter? Not necessarily first and foremost as a learning tool for me, though it might end up helping me a lot, recording mistakes and learning from them, but you could also laugh at my errors both in drafting and playing. Maybe it's just a good time.

Yeah, MID VOW NEO SNC remain in standard through rotation. https://whatsinstandard.com/ is a good resource, if you're ever unsure.

If you're using 17lands (and you should be, if you you're not playing on mobile) it has a draft and game replay feature. I don't speak for others but it's much easier and faster for me to read thoughts and skim through plays than to watch an entire hour of draft plus game play. Watching your own recordings is still good practice though, then you can say WHAT WAS I THINKING when you make a bonehead play. Here's my first draft where I completely spew off at least one game by playing real bad, this deck definitely deserved better https://www.17lands.com/details/d455233bc36d4539bda2a5266ae84949

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
whoever posted that pauper fairies deck last time this event came around, thanks. it's such an absolute bastard of a deck

Deck
4 Faerie Miscreant (M20) 58
4 Faerie Seer (MH1) 51
2 Lantern Bearer (VOW) 66
4 Moon-Circuit Hacker (NEO) 67
4 Ninja of the Deep Hours (J21) 39
4 Moonblade Shinobi (MH1) 59
2 Moonsnare Specialist (NEO) 70
4 Unsummon (ANB) 36
2 Spell Pierce (NEO) 80
4 Make Disappear (SNC) 49
4 Bind the Monster (KHM) 48
22 Island (NEO) 296

edit: don't even need the lonely sandbars, the games go so fast you will never need to cycle

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 19, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oh lol that I don't have enough common wildcards to put that together... I guess i should just bash something up, probably red

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I slapped together a hot mess with Connive cards and fliers and it went super well. gently caress your stupid mill deck and thanks for bouncing my Connivers, nerd

(died hard against a burn and other aggressive decks)

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

oh lol that I don't have enough common wildcards to put that together... I guess i should just bash something up, probably red

Rat Colony is an Uncommon ;)

Edit: poo poo, no it's not; I was confused by the Dominaria symbol

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

if you can make it, go for it. I just went 17-2 with it, and one of those losses was a semi-mirror match against a similar deck that went izzet for a frankly ridiculous amount of red removal, which they drew a lot of in their first 14 cards(3 frost bites, 3 fire prophecies and 2 shocks)