Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

jeeves posted:

For all of you Warhammer space cathedrals fans, I can’t recommend Angels of Death enough. I love that it just focuses on like one ship out of an entire fleet, and how that single ship isn’t even the largest at first but it’s enough to deal with the poo poo the storyline throws at it by the end.

Probably as a relic of the animation style, the ships have a lot of big stone-like debris when damaged, which I almost kind of like as stone would be a viable building material for giant ships of the far future or something.

Also as shown by the trailer, the initial story is about fighting a fleet of giant living-ships and if you want to read something really horrifying of an excellent in-lore description what being eaten by a giant living ship might be like then enjoy?

Is that streaming on that Warhammer service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

david_a posted:

Is that streaming on that Warhammer service?

Yeah, it’s like one of the only things worth it if you actually want to pay, along with the 2D animated anthology series.

It’s basically a step down from Astartes’ excellent CGI but stylized (especially with the colors) in a way that makes up for it. However this one actually has a comprehensible plot unlike the former.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

jeeves posted:

For all of you Warhammer space cathedrals fans, I can’t recommend Angels of Death enough. I love that it just focuses on like one ship out of an entire fleet, and how that single ship isn’t even the largest at first but it’s enough to deal with the poo poo the storyline throws at it by the end.

Probably as a relic of the animation style, the ships have a lot of big stone-like debris when damaged, which I almost kind of like as stone would be a viable building material for giant ships of the far future or something.

Also as shown by the trailer, the initial story is about fighting a fleet of giant living-ships and if you want to read something really horrifying of an excellent in-lore description what being eaten by a giant living ship might be like then enjoy?

They are. Stone is constantly referred to as being building materials for the larger ships in the HH books at least.

Also this continues the trend of lady Captains of Space Marine ships are literally the baddest motherfuckers in the galaxy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

twistedmentat posted:

They are. Stone is constantly referred to as being building materials for the larger ships in the HH books at least.

Also this continues the trend of lady Captains of Space Marine ships are literally the baddest motherfuckers in the galaxy.

Yeah, a few books mention that the largest imperial ships started as asteroids that they hollowed out and reshaped.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Seconding subbing to warhammer for a month to watch Angels of Death. I think you can get a cheap trial on your first month as well.

Also they've announced a prequel focused around the lady ship captain.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Here are a couple really old-fashioned designs.

Just a lot of lights splayed out on display against the black night sky, leaving the true form of the ship obscured. Fantastical and bizarre, implying that something crazy is out there, while actually not really conveying anything about what is out there.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Sing or say the words "one two three four five" out loud. Now think of the musical tones John Williams used in Close Encounters.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's not Mambo number 5

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021
Favourite starship ever: Enterprise-A, inside and out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SlothfulCobra posted:

Here are a couple really old-fashioned designs.

Just a lot of lights splayed out on display against the black night sky, leaving the true form of the ship obscured. Fantastical and bizarre, implying that something crazy is out there, while actually not really conveying anything about what is out there.

That's awesome, I've never seen the full close encounters ship before.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This year's STO summer event ship is special.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Let me guess: Crystalline Entities are now classified as an endangered species by the Federation, and that is the starship equivalent of the rubber hats used to collect bat or bird semen...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Remember the jellyfish aliens from Encounter at Farpoint, the very first episode of TNG?

The story for this ship in STO is that some of these sentient star-faring creatures have been feeling adventurous and joined up with the galactic powers.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cythereal posted:

Remember the jellyfish aliens from Encounter at Farpoint, the very first episode of TNG?

The story for this ship in STO is that some of these sentient star-faring creatures have been feeling adventurous and joined up with the galactic powers.

That's the Crystalline Entity species, yes. I'd forgotten that one was forced to pretend to be a starbase for a while. I guess there's no reason one couldn't pretend to be a starship.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kesper North posted:

That's the Crystalline Entity species, yes. I'd forgotten that one was forced to pretend to be a starbase for a while. I guess there's no reason one couldn't pretend to be a starship.

They encountered two, one that was pretending to be a starbase and one that was pretending to be a starship. The alt-form in the game is based on the latter.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MikeJF posted:

They encountered two, one that was pretending to be a starbase and one that was pretending to be a starship. The alt-form in the game is based on the latter.

Jesus christ, I clearly remember nothing about Encounter at Farpoint

To be fair, I... am not sure I've watched it in its entirety since its initial air date...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Kesper North posted:

I don’t remember the Crystalline Entity having anything to do with the Giant Space Jellyfish from Encounter at Farpoint but it’s been a long time since I watched it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh, yeah, no, the Giant Space Jellyfish is a different thing to the Crystalline Entity. Crystalline Entities are bad news and it's debatable how intelligent they are, Giant Space Jellyfishes are sentient and also nice. It was two of the space jellyfish in Farpoint.

They also encountered a baby one in Lower Decks, it accidentally nested inside a starship when it was looking for a nice warm place to hatch and ended up busting out from the inside, our heroes helped evacuate everyone in the nick of time.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 20, 2022

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The fluff for these being playable in STO, besides that they're genuinely sentient and decided to join up with the Federation/Klingons/Romulans/Dominion is that they've invited officers from their chosen faction aboard them to be their buddies and guides through the galaxy, kind of like a Farscape leviathan.

The UFO mode one I posted was black and green because I had the New Romulus faction reputation shield equipped.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
... i clearly remember N O T H I N G about Encounter at Farpoint....

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Kesper North posted:

... i clearly remember N O T H I N G about Encounter at Farpoint....

I remember it was the last new trek I watched for decades.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A crystalline entity showed up when Q was turned into a normal human to try and kill him out of revenge, which suggests they're fairly smart and also hold a grudge. One also murdered everyone on the planet where data and lore were built, and lore uhhh, got intimate with it. IIRC.

Encounter at Farpoint set Wesley Crusher's character arc in motion from day 1, which is one of the things wrong with it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

A crystalline entity showed up when Q was turned into a normal human to try and kill him out of revenge, which suggests they're fairly smart and also hold a grudge.

That was a Calamarain. Energy/Gas creature.

Leperflesh posted:

One also murdered everyone on the planet where data and lore were built, and lore uhhh, got intimate with it. IIRC.

That's where we were introduced to them: first time we saw one was when they visited Data's home colony and caught up with the Entity that wiped the colony out. Lore seemed to be able to communicate with it but it was vague what he was actually doing. The other time we saw one was when one showed up at another colony later and they tried to investigate and maybe see if they could communicate with it and find out if it was intelligent but a crazy scientist killed it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 20, 2022

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol I think folks need a reminder of what the actual Crystalline Entity looks like:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Cythereal posted:

:kimchi:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

On Lower Decks they also sighted some Crystalline Entities gettin' frisky, but usually they don't mess with those.

But y'know, if you're talkin' livin' spaceships, my favorite will always be the Acanti.

Your typical space whale/giant space fish, but these things are caught, lobotomized, and fitted with a bunch of technology to steer them and provide living quarters by the Brood (or as they were originally called, Sleazoids).

It gets weirder than that though, because on top of just individual members of the species being enslaved, the Acanti are led by a "prophet-singer" who carries the "collective soul" of the entire species. It's supposed to be constantly reborn (by flinging itself into a star when it dies, kind of a an elephant graveyard sorta thing), but when the Prophet-singer got captured and lobotomized by the Sleazoids, it somehow condemned the whole race. I think the rest of the Acanti are somehow bound to it so long as it holds their collective soul? Which probably leaves them vulnerable to continue to be captured. The lobotomized nearly-dead corpse of the prophet-singer was made into the living palace for the Brood Queen, on their homeworld, Sleazeworld.

I think it's a really interesting concept, and they have a striking design, but nothing really happens with them after their initial storyline. The X-Men and Carol Danvers helped a newborn prophet-singer steal back the collective Acanti racial soul, and used its power to purge Sleazeworld. Every so often, Sleazoids/Brood pop up in other stories, like any good iconic villain, I guess they escaped the destruction of Sleazeworld, and they keep riding Acanti, who I guess were missed when the collective soul was supposed to free them.

There's also these guys, who are either an alternate breed of Acanti, or the Sleazoids lobotomized and kitted out space sharks to be smaller craft. There are things called starsharks in Marvel's cosmos, but to all indications they have no souls, collective or otherwise.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Reminds me a bit of Starship UK on Doctor Who: with time running out to evacuate Earth and all the other nations already having left and having screwed up their engines, England's government got desperate and captured a Star Whale and strapped Starship UK to the back, zapping it to make it go.

Which was super embarrassing because it turned out that the Star Whale had turned up voluntarily to help them.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Farscape did space whales so much better that of course the Dr Who version would be so stupid that it roles back to… stupid again.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah but do the space whales have photon flippers? or something??

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol I think folks need a reminder of what the actual Crystalline Entity looks like:

Thank you, I felt like I was going crazy the last few posts. The crystalline entity is entirely distinct from all the other starship sized energy/crystal/plasma beings, including the frisky jellyfish at Farpoint. It appears in 2 or 3 episodes, then gets murdered. In TNG it was unique, but other series might have brought in others like it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The crystalline entity they killed looked quite a bit different in structure to the first they encountered and it was never confirmed if it was the same one that had grown or if it was just a different one. In Lower Decks they ran across a system with a few Crystalline Entities and the one they got near looked like the first TNG one, so I guess the implication is that the second, murdered one was in fact a different type.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 20, 2022

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

MikeJF posted:

The crystalline entity they killed looked quite a bit different in structure to the first they encountered and it was never confirmed if it was the same one that had grown or if it was just a different one. In Lower Decks they ran across a system with a few Crystalline Entities and the one they got near looked like the first TNG one, so I guess the implication is that the second, murdered one was in fact a different type.
It was extremely early cgi, cut them some slack. It's intended to be the same individual in the story, it's just had some friends for dinner.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
How about some 80s TV goodness:

A city ship from V:

And its shuttlecraft:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They're both awesome but are they both meant to be from the same aliens? Because they don't feel like it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, that shuttle looks very human.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

In my mind I tell myself that the aliens designed the shuttle to feel more human on purpose but it wasn't viable to do this for the mothership.

In my heart I know it's just sloppy art direction.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Congratulations, you've now thought about this more than they did.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Junkball Media continues to be the very distilled essence of this thread in its great videos about Trek ships:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dKohm6l8Lg

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean the show is about reptilian aliens pretending to be human to infiltrate society and conquer the delicious humans, so having a ship that looks human makes some amount of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Still would have been easier to set up hamster farms.