Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i get there's like, ethical reasons to not use the self check outs

but i flat out refuse to use them simply because they keep calling me a thief/liar, and calling over for a human anyway

if someone's going to accuse me of lying or stealing, they can do it to my goddamned face, not with a computer who sounds an alert for help needed because im not bagging things the way its program wants me to or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Lake of Methane posted:

self checkout is a computer they want you to touch

Fuckin' ...

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

the last time i went to the grocery store they had zero checkers and thirty people in line for six self-checkouts, which i waited in a line stretching to the back of the store for 45 minutes

real nice to sit there and watch $200 of groceries melt for an hour

fr i was an employee at my local grocery store when they added self-checkout and nobody wanted to use them when given a choice. the checkout staff could really haul rear end, it made the difference all the more obvious

also my first union job

Wild EEPROM posted:

the only time you should use a self checkout is when you bring a ps5 to it and punch it in as some bananas

4011 🍌

first code you learn as a cashier, anecdotally

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sometimes you just want to keep the shame of your grocery purchases to yourself

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Wild EEPROM posted:

the only time you should use a self checkout is when you bring a ps5 to it and punch it in as some bananas

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
one year on thanksgiving eve i was one of the assholes buying a few things and i tried to tip the checker and bagger 20 each and a manager literally ran over and almost rapped my knuckles with a ruler

i was so pissed off

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUVWxx6lQ2A

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Self checkout sucks rear end for like 4-5 different reasons, just off the top of my head

I guess it was the evolution of how things were going though, stores have like 10-20 checkout lanes and at most 3 are open at any given time

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i don’t mind self checkouts when it’s either 2am and there’s no permacashier or when the store only has one lane open with ten people and i’m in a hurry

otherwise a person is actually just faster almost all the time and i’m “good” at using the self checkouts

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the bunch of empty lanes are for peak hours and holidays/backup machines but yeah lots of stores have scaled back what the baseline open lanes are and it is also sucks

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

self checkouts were only good when I was buying condoms as a 16 year old. that's it :shrug:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
motorola spent so much money on self checkout poo poo and they were an enormous pita to get right, while i was working there

problem is that customers dont know how to scan items at the right cadence so the windows have to be very large. a cashier knows how the scanner runs.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

oh and they're easy to steal from that's good I guess

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PokeJoe posted:

self checkouts were only good when I was buying condoms as a 16 year old. that's it :shrug:

Nice of you to buy for your buddy, a true bro

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

problem is that customers dont know how to scan items at the right cadence so the windows have to be very large. a cashier knows how the scanner runs.

I only occasionally use self checkout and not necessarily for the same items so I have to look and see which side the barcode is on which slows things down a lot

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

motorola spent so much money on self checkout poo poo and they were an enormous pita to get right, while i was working there

it's true and when i have to use self-checkout i breeze through thanks to scanning and bagging for hours at a time. it's a learned interaction that going one by one doesn't quite click, at least from watching people use them

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Agile Vector posted:

it's true and when i have to use self-checkout i breeze through thanks to scanning and bagging as a job. it's a learned interaction that going one by one doesn't quite click, at least from watching people use them

im the guy that throws six 8-packs of lacroix and a bucket of cat litter on the bottom shelf of the cart, but makes sure they're all rotated so that the barcode is facing up and nearest the cashier. like 70% of the time they thank me and i just do "yeah i checked as a kid, no problem"

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

im the guy that throws six 8-packs of lacroix and a bucket of cat litter on the bottom shelf of the cart, but makes sure they're all rotated so that the barcode is facing up and nearest the cashier. like 70% of the time they thank me and i just do "yeah i checked as a kid, no problem"

a legitimate blessed setup when someone is looking at a ten-deep line of carts

for my part i queue my heavy, meats, and light items so there's no need for sorting and shuffling in the bagging area

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
self checkouts with detachable scanners are cool because you can arrange all the bar codes facing out ahead of time and then pewpewpewpew as fast as you can

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

haveblue posted:

self checkouts with detachable scanners are cool because you can arrange all the bar codes facing out ahead of time and then pewpewpewpew as fast as you can

in fact theyre not cool because they take away union jobs

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sexnO2CXMB8

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i usually bike with a bookbag and self checkout is a 30 second experience where i also don't have to expose my dirty bookbag to the cashier

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I've lost confidence in adult swim for cancelling this show, especially now. i needed like 2-3 more seasons

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

700 views. how did you find this? also what is this

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

700 views. how did you find this? also what is this

the movie is ultraviolet, a thoroughly disappointing film starting mila jovovich from 2006. not sure about the music.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

from the waffleimages thread:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Midjack posted:

the movie is ultraviolet, a thoroughly disappointing film starting mila jovovich from 2006. not sure about the music.

it's between Ultraviolet and Van Helsing for the worst movie i've had the displeasure of seeing in a theater.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Sandy P. Loam, CPA

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

i usually bike with a bookbag and self checkout is a 30 second experience where i also don't have to expose my dirty bookbag to the cashier

Great. The cashier would've did it in 10 seconds and no-one cares about your dirty dirty manga cum Harry Potter vehicle.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Great. The cashier would've did it in 10 seconds and no-one cares about your dirty dirty manga cum Harry Potter vehicle.

lol this is in fact incorrect. I've never had yhe cashier and line for cashier be faster.

this seems like a taboo thing to admit but yospos is just obsessing again

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cashiers are certainly faster

if there is no queue

maybe you guys have efficient supermarkets but there is always a queue for the one or two open aisles and there are motherfuckers with trolleys full of groceries

people who buy more than a days worth of groceries at once. who the hell has the skills to think more than a day in advance?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

i don't go to the supermarket becasue i live in the city

e: anyway it's payday

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 22, 2022

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i like and prefer self checkout when i have only a few items

i’m in two minds about it loving over someone’s job. like, the job is kind of robotic and soul destroying maybe? so automating something that no one really wants to do generally seems like a good idea, in the abstract

but otoh no doubt it’s implemented in bad faith and without much regard for the human impact, especially on someone who relies on that job for their livelihood :capitalism:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gentle Autist posted:

i’m in two minds about it loving over someone’s job

ok notorious b.s.d.

(didn't ready anythign after that)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

self-checkout is probably on average faster for me, but then baggers don't exist here so scanning as i bag ends up a pretty smooth action.

otoh also decent union jobs are not quite as rare here as in some places, but not entirely without issue no.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
self service lets me scan my pink lady apples as inferior Fuji apples, saving $1 a kilo

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

rotor posted:

Sandy P. Loam, CPA

Ugh I got Sandy Clay’s mail again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

i've got that loving clay and it sucks my rear end i tell you what