Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

even if they need to clickbait in general, getting exclusive content directly from intel then naming the video in a way that baselessly makes intel sound bad is probably not a good way to get access in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its almost like handing over complete and total management to a bunch of linear algebra equations was a bad idea

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Clickbait titles would still exist even without the algorithm, because they work on human psychology and human brains love that poo poo.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

HKR posted:

Clickbait titles would still exist even without the algorithm, because they work on human psychology and human brains love that poo poo.

Sure, but channels that don't want to do that poo poo wouldn't be forced into in order to appease the algorithm.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

HKR posted:

Sure, which is why the “Weekly World News” is a thriving, popular publication

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

repiv posted:

even if they need to clickbait in general, getting exclusive content directly from intel then naming the video in a way that baselessly makes intel sound bad is probably not a good way to get access in the future

yeah the problem isn't that it's clickbait, the problem is that it's bad clickbait

That video has two topics: more detailed frame data for testing nerds, and intel's new smooth sync tech (which is IMO pretty cool, I'm sensitive to tearing). Some good clickbait would focus on the second one to attract the normies.

"Intel crosses the line with new vsync!"
"Arc GPU has blurry pixels (but that's a good thing)"
etc

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

No-one clicks on positive video titles though. Look at a positive review video and a negative one, the negative one will always have more views.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

This is the bigger problem with the title:

Rinkles posted:

The title didn't even make sense

It's not just clickbaity, it's nonsense

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I got recommended a video called "Hot Chocolate High Velocity" so as much as people blame the scary YouTube algo for why they give their videos bullshit names, I'm pretty sure it's overstated at this point.

I have not watched any videos about hot chocolate or anything travelling at high velocity. YouTube just knows what I like.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's a video of the Ferrari strategy AI at work

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

njsykora posted:

No-one clicks on positive video titles though. Look at a positive review video and a negative one, the negative one will always have more views.

"AMD and Nvidia Cards Will Never Recover From This"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

hire me steve

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Warmachine posted:

"AMD and Nvidia Cards Will Never Recover From This"

Exactly, if you want to do a positive video you need to still plant the title in negative territory to bait the company fanboy types. Though my favourite videos are the ones that are the clickbait titles (Is The Analogue Pocket Overpriced?) that get quietly changed after the initial 12 hours view spike (Is The Analogue Pocket Worth The Money?).

Jeffery when can we have images as thread titles dammit.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

njsykora posted:

Exactly, if you want to do a positive video you need to still plant the title in negative territory to bait the company fanboy types. Though my favourite videos are the ones that are the clickbait titles (Is The Analogue Pocket Overpriced?) that get quietly changed after the initial 12 hours view spike (Is The Analogue Pocket Worth The Money?).

tbh I'm kinda regretting not applying for the GN tech writer job, but I already have a reasonably well paying work-from-home writer job so... at best a side grade.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

repiv posted:

hire me steve

lmao

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

HKR posted:

To an extent, but in publishing contexts where the editorial decisions are made by editors and not algorithms (and you pay for access to the entire outlet rather than the outlet getting money per headline click), there's generally a better balance. e.g. any newspaper, or the BBC News website (which is license payer funded).

But even compared to editorial clickbait (blogs etc), the youtube algorithm is on a whole other level. Even Kotaku or whoever else don't set every single one of their stories up like it's the most mind-blowing piece of content ever.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Thanks Ants posted:

That's a video of the Ferrari strategy AI at work

#ForzaKimi

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Look at all those CFD calculations running in real time, rendered into a video

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

njsykora posted:

Maybe take another twenty minutes to figure one out that doesn’t untruthfully poo poo on your vendor

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Man it's a gn video so I'm going to watch it. If they want to literally title it PLAY THIS FREE INTEL GAME AND COME IN 30 FRAMES

I'd just click on the video anyways. As long as it's not effecting the video quality i don't care.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

njsykora posted:

For reviews sure. What is the positive video going to cover? Nothing more than the talking points the marketing dept was already talking about. But look up a negative one and find out what other pitfalls you didn't think about or were unaware of come to light. That is the sad truth of it. Marketing of these companies are already covering the positives. Instead, you look for the "and what is the catch to this amazing thing".

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Did Marques Brownlee (MKBHD) leave Nebula?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

namlosh posted:

Sure, which is why the “Weekly World News” is a thriving, popular publication

not really a bad run tho

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

repiv posted:

hire me steve

njsykora posted:

YouTube tech idiots fandom thread: Intel driver sucked me off?!

please & thank you!

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

denereal visease posted:

Gamers finally willing to sacrifice FPS for something...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

denereal visease posted:

please & thank you!

Sorry, not good SEO since there’s no negativity.

With teeth!?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

denereal visease posted:

Thank you, and please

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

they deleted it :smith:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cross-Section posted:

they deleted it :smith:

Of course they deleted it, since when does LTT put out useful & practical advice like that? :rimshot:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

they were just following their own advice

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

It was ill timed because someone is claiming Linus raped and impregnated a 12 year old girl when he was 16 and he's talking about it on the podcast tonight.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

uhhhhh

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

It seems totally false given that it was email blasted to as many people as possible and there's no victim/child named.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

EngineerJoe posted:

It seems totally false given that it was email blasted to as many people as possible and there's no victim/child named.

uhhhhh

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

What?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
It's Jake isn't it.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Aware posted:

It's Jake isn't it.

Could be his disgruntled painters getting revenge for his whining

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
linus sent a message to all his staff with a description of his relationship history

it includes the words "She tasted of cigarette smoke, but it was otherwise enjoyable"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

EngineerJoe posted:

Could be his disgruntled painters getting revenge for his whining

No, Jake is the progeny from the allegation