Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Motronic posted:

And here I am just innocuously remixing a 4k video in real time.......

(you're asking a lot - the ability to do this on a single machine in real time was simply not a thing not all that long ago)

With PGS subtitles specifically? I can transcode 4K in real time no problem as long as no PGS subs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

At this point if you do some extreme Windows commandline magic and manually get the right files to work with, you can make 4K MKVs that contain both HDR10 and Dolby Vision data into a single file, that seems to work cleanly and correctly (plays HDR10/HDR10+ on older setups, and activates Dolby Vision on compatible setups). So the most elegant solution I've found so far involves two libraries, one with 1080p x264 versions of stuff and one with 4K x265 HDR10/DV stuff.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Looten Plunder posted:

It's mind blowing to me that something as seemingly innocuous as loving subtitles can cause so many issues.

I just wish the "forced" subtitles (for only the foreign-language parts of a movie) were available for more stuff. It gets old turning the captions on and off every time there's a scene on the Klingon ship.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

I just wish the "forced" subtitles (for only the foreign-language parts of a movie) were available for more stuff. It gets old turning the captions on and off every time there's a scene on the Klingon ship.

They are generally included as part of competent releases as well as on the official discs. On Blu-rays and UHD Blu-rays, if they're "optional" and not burned in, they are either a separate PGS subtitle track, or the main subtitle track for English has some lines flagged as "forced" and using the right tools you can extract a copy of the PGS that only includes these. Also a lot of sites that archive subtitle tracks will have "foreign only" versions of subtitles for English in a lot of cases.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

univbee posted:

They are generally included as part of competent releases as well as on the official discs. On Blu-rays and UHD Blu-rays, if they're "optional" and not burned in, they are either a separate PGS subtitle track, or the main subtitle track for English has some lines flagged as "forced" and using the right tools you can extract a copy of the PGS that only includes these. Also a lot of sites that archive subtitle tracks will have "foreign only" versions of subtitles for English in a lot of cases.

True, they definitely exist, but in my experience they're much harder to find than the everything-captions, especially so for older or more obscure shows.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Brain Issues posted:

My 4K content is still only available locally because I’ve not yet figured out a solution to the PGS problem. Please let us know if you find out a fix!

There's really not a "fix" to be done. You either need to have all clients support PGS, remove PGS for SRT/VTT subs (subs in a text file) in your library, or allow Plex to transcode the stream to burn the PGS subs into the stream for the player. You could "burn" the subs in yourself offline and host that in your Plex library so it can be direct played. PGS is more or less a transparent PNG that's overlayed onto the video you are watching. DVD subs were the same way except I think those were JPEG.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

gariig posted:

There's really not a "fix" to be done. You either need to have all clients support PGS, remove PGS for SRT/VTT subs (subs in a text file) in your library, or allow Plex to transcode the stream to burn the PGS subs into the stream for the player. You could "burn" the subs in yourself offline and host that in your Plex library so it can be direct played. PGS is more or less a transparent PNG that's overlayed onto the video you are watching. DVD subs were the same way except I think those were JPEG.

I already know this bro. But I want to know if there’s a system strong enough to burn PGS subs in real time as 2 people seem to be claiming they possess. I have asked them to clarify what their server specs are and neither have.

The strongest Plex server I tested this on had a 1080ti and I couldn’t even get it working smoothly on that. But that was years ago now.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Brain Issues posted:

The strongest Plex server I tested this on had a 1080ti and I couldn’t even get it working smoothly on that. But that was years ago now.

Burning of PGS subtitles relies on the CPU. The GPU can't take an image and slap it on top of video frames. The hardware encoder isn't able to do it. No idea what CPU can handle it though.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I've had reasonable success just using plexs subtitle finder for a lot of stuff. I think there's also some rr type software for managing subs that will probably find or convert subs to a better format for you.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Aware posted:

I've had reasonable success just using plexs subtitle finder for a lot of stuff. I think there's also some rr type software for managing subs that will probably find or convert subs to a better format for you.

Yeah, Bazarr will manage getting subtitles for your libraries. It works fine.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
I'm looking at building a dedicated box just for Plex (moving away from a TrueNAS jail). I've got an A2000 GPU which should handle all the transcoding I can throw at it (I believe). Needs to run Linux for HDR -> SDR on the GPU, right? Or am I overthinking it, and an 11th gen NUC just handles it via iGPU?

I am thinking the other major item would be enough RAM to just shove the entire transcode directly onto a tmpfs RAM disk, to avoid thrashing the SSD.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I think you're on the right track. The A2000 is unlocked as opposed to gaming cards which are limited to 3 encodes at a time, though this limit is easily removed. Definitely use Linux.

Not sure about using tmpfs but I'm sure it won't hurt if you have the ram to do ao.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I don't think you'll get any performance out of the RAMdisk idea. If you DO do it, then hit us up with the performance metrics.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

I don't think you'll get any performance out of the RAMdisk idea. If you DO do it, then hit us up with the performance metrics.

In 2022, the bottleneck on transcoding is going to be the computation, not the storage.

I'm agreeing with this post.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I see quite a few Plex people going the RAMDisk route, but not something I've looked into myself. These might be the guys with ridiculous storage and going beyond 'just a few friends and family' on their shares, mind.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I see quite a few Plex people going the RAMDisk route, but not something I've looked into myself. These might be the guys with ridiculous storage and going beyond 'just a few friends and family' on their shares, mind.

I started transocding to RAM back when I had an very small (80gb) cache drive so that if a lot of people were streaming and my server was downloading stuff it would fill up quickly. I was also interested in reducing the wear an tear on that SSD because it was old. Now I probably don't need it but I've never seen a reason to change it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I assume RAM-caching for transcode is entirely to reduce either thrashing spinning disks, or wear and tear on SSDs.

Transcode workloads aren't going to wear out a cheap SSD anytime soon, so I'm sticking with that.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

We mathed this out last time and it turns out you need to be doing 10 contiguous transcodes 24/7 over several years to add any appreciable SSD wear.
I forget the exact numbers, but the point is it's going to be 1-2 orders of magnitude more than any normal usage to be worth bothering about.

madsushi posted:

I'm looking at building a dedicated box just for Plex (moving away from a TrueNAS jail). I've got an A2000 GPU which should handle all the transcoding I can throw at it (I believe). Needs to run Linux for HDR -> SDR on the GPU, right? Or am I overthinking it, and an 11th gen NUC just handles it via iGPU?
The iGPU and the A2000 should give near identical results unless you want to do more than 15 concurrent streams or so.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Khablam posted:

The iGPU and the A2000 should give near identical results unless you want to do more than 15 concurrent streams or so.

Looking at SFF cases and boards, anything major between Intel 10/11/12th gens? Looks like a lot of cheap 10th gen options, or worth springing for the newer chips?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video#Performance_and_quality

quote:

Version 1 (Sandy Bridge)
Quick Sync was initially built into some Sandy Bridge CPUs, but not into Sandy Bridge Pentiums or Celerons.[7]

Version 2 (Ivy Bridge, Bay Trail)
The Ivy Bridge microarchitecture included a "next-generation" implementation of Quick Sync.[8]

Version 3 (Haswell)
The Haswell microarchitecture implementation is focused on quality, with speed about the same as before (for any given clip length vs. encoding length).[citation needed]
This generation of Quick Sync supports the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, VC-1 and H.262/MPEG-2 Part 2 video standards.[1]

Version 4 (Broadwell)
The Broadwell microarchitecture adds VP8 hardware decoding[9] support. Also, it has two independent bit stream decoder (BSD) rings to process video commands on GT3 GPUs; this allows one BSD ring to process decoding and the other BSD ring to process encoding at the same time.[10]

Version 5 (Skylake)
The Skylake microarchitecture adds a full fixed-function H.265/HEVC main/8-bit encoding and decoding acceleration, hybrid and partial HEVC main10/10-bit decoding acceleration, JPEG encoding acceleration for resolutions up to 16,000×16,000 pixels, and partial VP9 encoding and decoding acceleration.[11]

Version 6 (Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake, Whiskey Lake, Comet Lake)
The Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake and Comet Lake microarchitecture adds full fixed-function H.265/HEVC Main10/10-bit encoding and decoding acceleration and full fixed-function VP9 8-bit and 10-bit decoding acceleration and 8-bit encoding acceleration.[12][13]

Version 7 (Ice Lake)
The Ice Lake (microprocessor) adds VP9 4:4:4 decoding, VP9 encoding (up to 10-bit and 4:4:4), HEVC 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 decoding and encoding,[14] HDR10 Tone Mapping[15] and Open Source Media Shaders.[16] HEVC hardware encoding quality has also been improved.[17]

Version 8 (Tiger Lake, Rocket Lake, Alder Lake, Raptor Lake)
The Tiger Lake (microprocessor), Rocket Lake, Alder Lake & Raptor Lake adds VP9 12-bit & 12-bit 4:4:4 hardware decoding and HEVC 12-bit 4:2:0, 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 hardware decoding.[18] Gen12 Xe will also support native AV1 decode, which includes 10-bit 4:2:0 16K stills and 10-bit 4:2:0 8K, 4K and 2K video.[19] Hardware encoding for VP8 was dropped and hardware decoding is only available on Tiger Lake.[20]

Version 9 (Intel Arc Alchemist, Meteor Lake, Arrow Lake)
Intel Arc Alchemist GPUs adds 8K 10-bit AV1 hardware encoding.[21]

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

For anyone running Unraid they're having a 30% off sale on upgrades
https://unraid.net/upgrade-sale

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Tempting to go up to pro at that price but I can't see myself ever needing more than 12 storage devices.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
On Sonarr and multiple seasons: It doesn't support downloading files that have more than 1 season in them at this time.

I've got a Intel v9 chip and only had it struggle on one file type so far: a 10bit 4k HEVC HDR10 movie.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003
I've been getting annoyed with Plex when switching between audio books and tv shows on the same device lately.

Am I missing a setting, or is there a plugin to have audio treated in the same way as video for progress - i.e. you were on track 4/10 of the album or paused a track at this timestamp. Home page records this kind of progress for tv shows/films and I'd like something similar for long audio tracks. Currently my workaround is having 2 different devices and knowing I have to switch to another to watch a show as I am part way through audio book on the other is a pain. Also wanted to switch to other device to carry on listen but realised I couldn't just pick up and carry on the same way I could for video.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
For audiobooks get prologue if on iOS, it's incredible.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Alan G posted:

I've been getting annoyed with Plex when switching between audio books and tv shows on the same device lately.

Am I missing a setting, or is there a plugin to have audio treated in the same way as video for progress - i.e. you were on track 4/10 of the album or paused a track at this timestamp. Home page records this kind of progress for tv shows/films and I'd like something similar for long audio tracks. Currently my workaround is having 2 different devices and knowing I have to switch to another to watch a show as I am part way through audio book on the other is a pain. Also wanted to switch to other device to carry on listen but realised I couldn't just pick up and carry on the same way I could for video.

Oh hey I JUST had to figure this out after a trip this last week where I was annoyed my audiobooks were treated like music. There's a setting in libraries to keep progress -

Make a separate library for Audiobooks unless you want all music to keep progress too.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Medullah posted:

Oh hey I JUST had to figure this out after a trip this last week where I was annoyed my audiobooks were treated like music. There's a setting in libraries to keep progress -

Make a separate library for Audiobooks unless you want all music to keep progress too.

oh thanks. I had that same frustrating issue with audiobooks and didn't realize there was a setting there.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

TraderStav posted:

For audiobooks get prologue if on iOS, it's incredible.

Correct

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

Medullah posted:

Ah weird, I already had that set, might be my install misbehaving then :/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I find playback in a browser (Edge) to be really quiet, I unchecked the normalize audio button under playback but doesn't seem to have much effect.. Any other options I might have missed?

Other audio sources like Youtube are fine, level wise, it's just Plex that is low..

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I find volume dips significantly for transcodes.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Aware posted:

I find volume dips significantly for transcodes.

Hmm interesting.. I do have it set to play original quality, I wonder if it is doing anything extra behind the scenes though. The show theme it plays is a good volume, then the show itself, super quiet. Playing it through windows player it's a little quiet, but not as quiet as through plex.. Wonder if the original file needs a boost or something like that.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
there's a setting for normalisation of multi channel audio if you're using stereo

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Crime on a Dime posted:

there's a setting for normalisation of multi channel audio if you're using stereo

Yeah, tried that one, pretty much the same. I really notice it on most videos when playing on the pc browsers so I usually use ipad, which is fine.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

gariig posted:

The fact that my Roku Ultra cannot composite this is nuts to me. I know this just a function of software support on both sides (Roku needs to add that basic feature, then plex needs to support it) but given Dolby Atmos right now hardlocks my roku and Dolby Vision only works in one of the 8 formats and only in MP4 it makes me assume it's not even close on the roadmap.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
So I installed Jellyfin; one annoying thing with plex is that it does not import all my movies and I can't figure out why?
Jellyfin picks up 5 more movies than Plex does. I know ONE movie for sure that I can look for in the logs, but after downloading the logs I glaze over. There are like 23 files? Which do I look at? PlexMediaScanner.log seems to use uuids?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

deong posted:

So I installed Jellyfin; one annoying thing with plex is that it does not import all my movies and I can't figure out why?
Jellyfin picks up 5 more movies than Plex does. I know ONE movie for sure that I can look for in the logs, but after downloading the logs I glaze over. There are like 23 files? Which do I look at? PlexMediaScanner.log seems to use uuids?

https://github.com/WebTools-NG has an option that will find the items that weren't picked up

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

El Mero Mero posted:

https://github.com/WebTools-NG has an option that will find the items that weren't picked up

cool; does it tell you why and how to get them to import?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

deong posted:

cool; does it tell you why and how to get them to import?

no but it's almost always naming that explains why plex misses it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

Plex does this by default now

It’s under filters and unmatched