Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jonny 290 posted:

lol yeah. i've got this stupid rear end opensky card for my first and its like 29 a year AND you have to call them (NOT GO ONLINE, CALL) to get them to stop sending paper statements, which they charge $4/mo for

bank fees led to a big part of radicalizing me. I don’t miss the days when I’d argue with my bank about reordering debits so that a $2 charge at a gas station led to 2 or 3 overdrafts instead of 1 (not to mention not allowing you to just deny any debit attempt that would put you into negative), but I’m glad they finally passed laws to stop that poo poo, even though I never got any relief personally from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

greatest possible threat to hbags future credit score would be them getting a credit card.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i'm the fee you get charged to check your balance so you don't incur a fee for overdrawing

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
sometimes when I think about what I’ve gotten from the all this time on the forums I forget to account for the fact they saved me about ten grand. I was sued over two credit accounts and the stuff I learned here led to me defending myself in small claims court and getting them thrown out or withdrawn. img sickos :discourse:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats right! i got clued into the discover card by a goon as well.

the apple card is funny cause i was just gonna pay debit for the air and they were all YO WANT A PAYMENT PLAN? i was all, well i wasnt planning on it but since yer offerin, sure

immediately paid off the financing and now i got the nifty metal card that i just put my adobe subscription on and dont otherwise use

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

should get clued in on posting better

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
my first credit card had a $500 limit. later, when i wanted to apply for an auto loan the teller instead somehow signed me up for another, better credit card with a limit of $5000, a better interest rate, and some other minor benefits. i assume banks are just stupid as gently caress, or at least were back in 2011.

cls: took my pills, had some food, still feel physically ill from stress about job, life, everything. hoping it chills the gently caress out so i can try and do something about any of it.

hbag, take your meds

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

trust me after the day im having im loving taking them

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Zamujasa posted:

my first credit card had a $500 limit. later, when i wanted to apply for an auto loan the teller instead somehow signed me up for another, better credit card with a limit of $5000, a better interest rate, and some other minor benefits. i assume banks are just stupid as gently caress, or at least were back in 2011.

cls: took my pills, had some food, still feel physically ill from stress about job, life, everything. hoping it chills the gently caress out so i can try and do something about any of it.

hbag, take your meds

the higher your limit, the deeper in you can get. i had a $1200 limit for many years without a bump but then the one time i became financially stressed enough that i needed to use the card to that extent and congratulations! the limit went up. when i approached that limit, up it went again. i think i got up to abouat an $18,000 limit before i paid it all back. my credit was stellar so they were obviously taking a safe bet giving me more money but that creep can get you if you're desperate or an idiot

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

cjs: the weekend in 50 minutes. i may or may not answer any mails or messages between now and when i slap the laptop shut

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is very random what the forums have good advice on. though granted the advice has generally improved over the years.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

omg i love her

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is very random what the forums have good advice on. though granted the advice has generally improved over the years.

i find the more specific the topic, the better the advice tends to be

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Zamujasa posted:

i assume banks are just stupid as gently caress, or at least were back in 2011.

banks are either Illuminati level power and financial brokers or run buy the dumbest morons on earth managing the most underpaid workers possible

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

the banks are definitely not stupid as gently caress

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Roosevelt posted:

eh,,,,,,

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Roosevelt posted:

yeah pnc or national city i forget who actually precalculated those end-of-monthly debits and did the biggest one first if it'd overdraft you

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

banks are either Illuminati level power and financial brokers or run buy the dumbest morons on earth managing the most underpaid workers possible

the thing is it's both, but they are two very different things, we just call them both "banking". there's the world of "retail banking" where customers are idiots so the employees might as well be idiots too. then there's the rarefied air of "investment banking" where the customers are extremely sophisticated and billions of dollars are changing hands

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

speaking of, i can't find my emergency radio, so had to order a new one. there's definitely a nice midland 210 floating around my house somewhere or shoved into garage storage and i absolutely do not know where it is. i also ordered one of those dumbass freeze dried food packs to put in the garage so that i don't have to consciously think about having emergency-food amounts of rice, beans, etc. in the cupboard. and another 7gal container.

for the first time in my life im gonna have a proper not-halfassed earthquake kit, that'll be nice.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

graph posted:

yeah pnc or national city i forget who actually precalculated those end-of-monthly debits and did the biggest one first if it'd overdraft you

PNC bought national city. I think almost all the big banks did that, the reasoning they gave was “well, you wouldn’t want your mortgage payment to not go through, would you?” which, ok, but then give me the option to opt out and do it in chronological order. they would not because the real reason is they want those fees. took a law around 2012 or so? to force chronological ordering iirc, and to allow you to opt out of overdraft coverage as well I believe

edit: may have some of this incorrect, looks like overdraft protection became opt in shortly after the 2008 crisis

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 22, 2022

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Achmed Jones posted:

for the first time in my life im gonna have a proper not-halfassed earthquake kit, that'll be nice.

I'm just gonna jump into the fault during the Big One so I don't have to think about having a kit :smug:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Achmed Jones posted:

speaking of, i can't find my emergency radio, so had to order a new one. there's definitely a nice midland 210 floating around my house somewhere or shoved into garage storage and i absolutely do not know where it is. i also ordered one of those dumbass freeze dried food packs to put in the garage so that i don't have to consciously think about having emergency-food amounts of rice, beans, etc. in the cupboard. and another 7gal container.

Nice nice. I just keep a bucket of Mountain House around and rotate it every year. i now have both a washing machine and a fridge that i can run off my solar setup; if poo poo hits i'll be living like a king

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

cjs: all of my questions are being answered with nothing but hand emojis think im done for the week

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

jonny make the weekend thread

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Roosevelt posted:

jonny make the weekend thread

Nope, I don't do that any more.

--

r/jrits title: "This badass was hiding under the seat"

ellie

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
official two weeks given. yotj commences.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

i should make up one of those. except here it's probably more of a blizzard kit.

is the 7gal container one of those food-safe plastic buckets? i've been storing a bunch of pantry stuff in those with the gamma seal lids, mostly to deter any pests that wander by.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

cjs: all of my questions are being answered with nothing but hand emojis think im done for the week

👍

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

🤌

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

👍

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

🖕

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Lady Radia posted:

official two weeks given. yotj commences.

:yotj:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

sorry to interrupt but where the gently caress is the weekend thread

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Eeyo posted:

i should make up one of those. except here it's probably more of a blizzard kit.

is the 7gal container one of those food-safe plastic buckets? i've been storing a bunch of pantry stuff in those with the gamma seal lids, mostly to deter any pests that wander by.

naw, i meant for water. the brand i have is aqua-tainer

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Lady Radia posted:

sorry to interrupt but where the gently caress is the weekend thread

im stealing weekend valor https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4008014

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

daaaaaamn

cjs: yeah im done

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Has anyone here ever tried doing the Everyman sleep schedule? Sleep 3 hours per night and then nap 20 minutes 3 times a day.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that sounds like some linkedin hustle culture dogshit

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

America Inc. posted:

Has anyone here ever tried doing the Everyman sleep schedule? Sleep 3 hours per night and then nap 20 minutes 3 times a day.

that sounds miserable no thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Roosevelt posted:

the higher your limit, the deeper in you can get. i had a $1200 limit for many years without a bump but then the one time i became financially stressed enough that i needed to use the card to that extent and congratulations! the limit went up. when i approached that limit, up it went again. i think i got up to abouat an $18,000 limit before i paid it all back. my credit was stellar so they were obviously taking a safe bet giving me more money but that creep can get you if you're desperate or an idiot

mine just seems to occasionally go up for no obvious reason but w/e, i just hope i never need it

Roosevelt posted:

i was going to say that the 2007 crisis was calling, but then again the banks all got bailed out (and everyone else got hosed). maybe i give em too little credit