Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i've got that loving clay and it sucks my rear end i tell you what

my house is on what was sand dunes 80 years ago and its not ideal i tell ya what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

one thing that drives me nuts going with the actual cashier is they'll put like a jar and an orange in one bag and then double bag it. no! load that poo poo up i want the handles stretched to the breaking point by the time i get it to the car

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i live in michigan and any legislation to charge for bags would be met with incredible violence

edot:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
my grocer just went byob/paper only and i like it a lot better tbh

going to need to buy bags for the recyclables after i use up my stash of 400 bags in the cabinet tho

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
plastic bags aren't broadly recyclable and your pickup service doesn't want them. that's why many stores have plastic bag returns, so they can send it to one of the very few companies that won't just throw it in the garbage

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

those companies also throw them in the garbage

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
but not before taking a tax writeoff!!!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Agile Vector posted:

the bunch of empty lanes are for peak hours and holidays/backup machines but yeah lots of stores have scaled back what the baseline open lanes are and it is also sucks

lol not even, i'd be surprised to see even half the cashes being used during peak hours

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

those companies also throw them in the garbage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E4SkTcCB8c

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Improbable Lobster posted:

lol not even, i'd be surprised to see even half the cashes being used during peak hours

my grocery store has 5 lanes and 4 self-checkout machines, i've never seen more than 3 of the lanes being used even during the holiday season and the self checkout is almost always backed up more than the lanes.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

as someone who has been a cashier for several companies: it’s the worst job in the store. it’s almost always the lowest-paid position. you’re stuck in one place for hours at a time, and you’re the most visible to customers so you’ll catch the most bullshit for stuff that’s wildly out of your control. gently caress cashiering.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

pastor of muppets posted:

as someone who has been a cashier for several companies: it’s the worst job in the store. it’s almost always the lowest-paid position. you’re stuck in one place for hours at a time, and you’re the most visible to customers so you’ll catch the most bullshit for stuff that’s wildly out of your control. gently caress cashiering.

is "no sitting" a pretty universal rule?

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Roosevelt posted:

is "no sitting" a pretty universal rule?

yup (at least in the US). I knew someone at one job who got fired because the DM caught her sitting on a stool when it was slow and she had no customers.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

when i worked retail in high school i always wanted to do cashier. it was like a little game, how fast can i type these codes into the machine. way better than getting up on ladders and pulling boxes to fill products in the aisles

and yes there were no stools

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah at the music store i hated running register and loved stocking and organizing the bins

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

I’ll say the worst was probably when I worked for toys ‘r’ us when it was in its death throes. I was a cashier for them one holiday season. had a fist fight break out at my register one Saturday right before Xmas. more people arguing with me about coupons than I can count, people threatening me over company policy that required a receipt for returns

oh halfway to xmas I was ringing someone up and had this exchange:

customer: “so I get a free coke, right?”

me: ???

customer points at a new sign taped to the front of the register, out of my sight line, that reads “need batteries? if we don’t ask you if you need batteries then you get a free 20oz soft drink!”

apparently was something implemented but the managers told no one. from then on, we had to upsell loving batteries at the register no matter what they were buying

buying a bicycle? ask if they need batteries

buying a Barbie? ask if they need batteries

buying a pack of gum? ask if they need batteries

buying a pack of batteries? you better ask if they need more batteries with their batteries

then when the holidays are over my hours got cut back to one shift a week, on Sunday, 10 AM - 7 PM open to close, where I was the only cashier for the whole day and would have maybe three customers the whole shift. wasn’t allowed to sit down or even do busy work like restock shelves. most of the time I wouldn’t see a supervisor the whole day and wouldn’t even get someone to relieve me for a break.

but this isn’t the retail bitching thread so

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 22, 2022

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

i love these old ads where they still list numbers of records as a selling point. "you can access 25,000 words!!!!"

my mom had one of these things and loving god if i didnt hate it

loving minions before there were minions

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

ok notorious b.s.d.

(didn't ready anythign after that)

lmao if you read posts

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

mediaphage posted:

loving minions before there were minions

someone had to to make more minions

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

tag urself

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

graph posted:

going to need to buy bags for the recyclables after i use up my stash of 400 bags in the cabinet tho
its wierd how trying to be 'good' to the environment can cause you to accidentally start hoarding things. i stash mine at the top of the stairs to the basement and end up with 3 bag fulls getting in my way before I realize "oh right, take these to the drop off. get them out of your house!!"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

im topsoil

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

graph posted:

gonna restate for the record: plastic bag bans are cool and good.

charging me 25¢ for a paper bag i used to get for free is bullshit

self-checkout that makes ME do the job that a union employee used to get paid for is also bullshit

wrt cashiers, at supermarkets - at least when i worked at one - no one did fulltime cashiering, you'd do some cashiering, do some stocking, stuff like that.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

KoRMaK posted:

its wierd how trying to be 'good' to the environment can cause you to accidentally start hoarding things. i stash mine at the top of the stairs to the basement and end up with 3 bag fulls getting in my way before I realize "oh right, take these to the drop off. get them out of your house!!"

i've had issues with feeling this way too. "no i can't throw that out, it's still theoretically useful, i don't want to generate more waste!"

the perspective that really helped me on this one was: you already generated the waste. you're just storing it in your house instead of the landfill, which is temporary and helps no one

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

:ussr:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'm moist with low plasticity

e: looking to meet medium plasticity sensitive

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

im topsoil

power bottomsoil

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im clayey SILT

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I'm moist with low plasticity

e: looking to meet medium plasticity sensitive
your post says "moist with low plasticity" but your av says "stiff to very stiff"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

FMguru posted:

your post says "moist with low plasticity" but your av says "stiff to very stiff"

stiff to very stiff in the streets, moist with low plasticity in the sheets :smug:

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

DELETE CASCADE posted:

you already generated the waste. you're just storing it in your house instead of the landfill, which is temporary and helps no one

you could reuse those grocery bags to hold trash for a day or two instead of buying dedicated bags.

unless you live in new york where the plan is to use those dedicated bags to accumulate waste where there's foot traffic

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sexual Lorax posted:

power bottomsoil

:wink:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SEX HORMONES!?

:eyepop: but with floppy discs

Also Quark would never be a Top

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

please don’t post my stool sample analysis

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

SEX HORMONES!?

:eyepop: but with floppy discs

Also Quark would never be a Top

he's only into earplay anyway

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

SEX HORMONES!?

why the hell would i pay money for sex hormones?

i assume these too have a tendency to break down in farmers' fields and get murked by irregulars

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

i know some people who worked at medieval times, it's entirely true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I mean it’s basically full time ren fair and ren fair is just weirdos who party