Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Doh004 posted:

Kinda crazy how big of a jump it is from 7.2 to 9.2! In the end, I'm okay with only one input at 4k/120hz as I don't have any other consoles and won't be connecting a PC to it. Leave all of the content capabilities to streaming. But true on using eArc too although the amount of feedback about audio delays scares me. Haven't run into that with my current TV but that eArcs into my Sonos Arc.

I mean, if you want to spend 4 figgies, you could do a hell of a lot worse than one of those beasts so I'm not going to stop you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
I built the smallest possible sealed subwoofer for my new (old) car and it's double the size of the subwoofer in my small living room AV set-up. As much as I love how well they both perform for their size it would be nice to just have a gently caress-off huge listening/movie room (and massive trunk). Curious how these car subwoofers perform these days as I haven't done a car stereo in like...15 years, going to do a few sweeps with REW to see what the response looks like.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

I’ve made a few changes to my setup over the past few months, and am pretty pleased with it. Hopefully this will last me for a few years.

- 55” LG C1 OLED
- LG UBK90 UHD Blu-ray player
- Samsung Q600A soundbar
- PlayStation 5
- Xbox Series X
- Apple HomePod
- Sony PS-LX310BT turntable
- Edifier R1280T bookshelf speakers

Pitwar fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 23, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pitwar posted:

I’ve made a few changes to my setup over the past few months, and am pretty pleased with it. Hopefully this will last me for a few years.

- 55” LG C1 OLED
- LG UBK90 UHD Blu-ray player
- Samsung Q600A soundbar
- PlayStation 5
- Xbox Series X
- Apple HomePod
- Sony PS-LX310BT turntable
- Edifier R1280T bookshelf speakers

why a soundbar plus powered bookshelf speakers?

Plus a HomePod?

This isn’t all going in the same place is it? :psyduck:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Like why not just get a decent receiver and some decent speakers and be done with it

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Also what’s the bias lighting

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Ok Comboomer posted:

why a soundbar plus powered bookshelf speakers?

Plus a HomePod?

This isn’t all going in the same place is it? :psyduck:

The bookshelf speakers are hooked up to the turntable, I’m not going to have that linked to anything via Bluetooth.

The HomePod is for all the home stuff, as well as having Apple Music running through it for voice commands.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pitwar posted:

The bookshelf speakers are hooked up to the turntable, I’m not going to have that linked to anything via Bluetooth.

The HomePod is for all the home stuff, as well as having Apple Music running through it for voice commands.

I still don’t understand why you simply didn’t do speakers, self-powered or externally amplified, for everything that can’t be done with the HomePod.

Also a lot of inexpensive receivers will do Apple Music now, or AirPlay, or Bluetooth (many will do all three).

I get why you have a separate HomePod, but I’m still being thrown for a loop on the self-powered speakers and a soundbar (and, in my opinion, both are undersized for their role)

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Ok Comboomer posted:

I still don’t understand why you simply didn’t do speakers, self-powered or externally amplified, for everything that can’t be done with the HomePod.

Also a lot of inexpensive receivers will do Apple Music now, or AirPlay, or Bluetooth (many will do all three).

I get why you have a separate HomePod, but I’m still being thrown for a loop on the self-powered speakers and a soundbar (and, in my opinion, both are undersized for their role)

This setup works perfectly for me, and I’m really pleased with it. Hence why I thought I’d share it.

Like I said earlier, the speakers are wired to my turntable and are used purely for that.

The Soundbar is for all my tv media, and has Atmos sound for films and games.

As far as being undersized, everything sounds great in my lounge so not sure why would be an issue.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
How dare you enjoy your setup.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

pofcorn posted:

How dare you enjoy your setup.

I’m not saying they can’t enjoy it, dude, chill your tits

It still doesn’t make any sense, but whatever

I learned my lesson on trying to give honest advice in this thread long ago. “Post your __” threads are purely for hugboxing, and I respect that

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m not saying they can’t enjoy it, dude, chill your tits

It still doesn’t make any sense, but whatever

I learned my lesson on trying to give honest advice in this thread long ago. “Post your __” threads are purely for hugboxing, and I respect that

I’m not sure this thread is for advice, unless someone outright asks. I saw this as more show off your setup.

This tech stuff isn’t cheap, so if someone has a setup that they like and want to show it off, it’s a bit muggy to then tell them it doesn’t many sense or you can do it better.

I appreciate how I’ve got things doesn’t work for you, but this is how I wanted it. If I ever want to move my turntable setup to another room I can without it impacting my TV setup.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Pitwar posted:

I’m not sure this thread is for advice, unless someone outright asks. I saw this as more show off your setup.

This tech stuff isn’t cheap, so if someone has a setup that they like and want to show it off, it’s a bit muggy to then tell them it doesn’t many sense or you can do it better.

I appreciate how I’ve got things doesn’t work for you, but this is how I wanted it. If I ever want to move my turntable setup to another room I can without it impacting my TV setup.

What cartridge is on that Sony deck? It’s a nice looking form factor. I’ve only used their low end stuff, which is low end Sony to a T.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

BigFactory posted:

What cartridge is on that Sony deck? It’s a nice looking form factor. I’ve only used their low end stuff, which is low end Sony to a T.

I’m not overly knowledgeable about such things, but it’s an MM cartridge. I’ve had this table about a year and have no complaints.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Pitwar posted:

This setup works perfectly for me, and I’m really pleased with it. Hence why I thought I’d share it.

Like I said earlier, the speakers are wired to my turntable and are used purely for that.

The Soundbar is for all my tv media, and has Atmos sound for films and games.

As far as being undersized, everything sounds great in my lounge so not sure why would be an issue.

Don't worry, comboomer just shits on everyone else because he feels bad about himself. I never see him post anything of his own, I think because hes too afraid he might comment on his own post calling it poo poo.

Your setup looks nice but man that turntable location is inconvenient enough that I would never, ever want to play records.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 23, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Brain Issues posted:

Don't worry, comboomer just shits on everyone else because he feels bad about himself. I never see him post anything of his own, I think because hes too afraid he might comment on his own post calling it poo poo.

Your setup looks nice but man that turntable location is inconvenient enough that I would never, ever want to play records.

yeah you rly got me, ‘Brain Issues’

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah you rly got me, ‘Brain Issues’

Are those white van speakers

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Brain Issues posted:

Are those white van speakers

lol nah

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/hpm-900.shtml

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Your speakers are directly on a hardwood floor, leading to reflections. Objectively wrong.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

KillHour posted:

Your speakers are directly on a hardwood floor, leading to reflections. Objectively wrong.

They’re also bass reflex and directly up against a wall.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The port is on the front on HPMs.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KillHour posted:

those pics are from right before I put cinderblocks under them

and then when I moved from that place I got actual stands for them made by a dude on eBay

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Brain Issues posted:

They’re also bass reflex and directly up against a wall.

please stop, you’re embarrassing yourself my guy

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Ok Comboomer posted:

please stop, you’re embarrassing yourself my guy

Oh that ugly unfinished gaping hole in the front is a port

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Brain Issues posted:

lmao

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pitwar posted:

I’m sorry if my post came off as hostile. It wasn’t my intent to make you feel attacked or judged.

I was legitimately confused as to why it seemed like you had multiple devices in the same spot pulling double-duty, but your explanation makes sense even if it’s not what I personally would’ve done (if the goal is to save money and keep existing gear like the soundbar/etc I might look for an inexpensive A/V breakout box just to keep running everything through there)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Brain Issues posted:

That’s what basically every port looks like

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BigFactory posted:

That’s what basically every port looks like

he’s just butthurt that I think that the Apple Studio Display is a half-baked product offering tremendously poor value, because it objectively is and does

~he cares about my opinion *that much*~

heck, I didn’t even bring visual aesthetics into this conversation

the only person throwing around words like “ugly” here or making those sorts of judgments is Brain Issues

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Ok Comboomer posted:

he’s just butthurt that I think that the Apple Studio Display is a half-baked product offering tremendously poor value, because it objectively is and does

I think you’re mixing me up with someone else. I agree with everything you just said about the apple studio display and I’m constantly complaining about MacOS external display support issues in the mac hardware thread.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 23, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Brain Issues posted:

I think you’re mixing me up with someone else because I think the same things about the apple studio display and I’m constantly complaining about MacOS external display support issues

it’s literally the only place I’ve really poo poo on something in the last year or so and where ppl got really mad about it, so I don’t really know what to tell ya

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I guess I can post my AV set up:

McIntosh MA 5100
B&W DM 2 (mk 1)
Sanyo TP-80SP
Dual 506
Some Toshiba dvd changer that says it reads SACDs

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
And if anyone wants to see a truly ugly port, here we go

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Are you just sitting there listening to music and staring at your 7 ft tall painting of some lady holding a book with wings?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KillHour posted:

Are you just sitting there listening to music and staring at your 7 ft tall painting of some lady holding a book with wings?

Yeah and I have a light show that goes with it. It’s the best.

It’s not a book it’s a little organ.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
That rules

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

taqueso posted:

That rules

:agreed: That is a very cool listening room. I dig it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Yeah and I have a light show that goes with it. It’s the best.

It’s not a book it’s a little organ.

I’d love to know the back story on that painting.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’d love to know the back story on that painting.

She’s St. Cecelia the patron saint of music. I got it from a church that was closing down and being de-sanctified. It was just canvas plastered or glued to the wall so I had it cleaned up and put on a stretcher. That’s easily the most expensive thing in the room because of the restoration work. I didn’t pay more than $150 for any of the audio gear.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BigFactory posted:

She’s St. Cecelia the patron saint of music. I got it from a church that was closing down and being de-sanctified. It was just canvas plastered or glued to the wall so I had it cleaned up and put on a stretcher. That’s easily the most expensive thing in the room because of the restoration work. I didn’t pay more than $150 for any of the audio gear.

That’s so rad. Have you had her appraised?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

That’s so rad. Have you had her appraised?

Not for insurance. I had a couple of local artists check it out and the consensus is that it was definitely made by a trained artist but nobody who would have been known. From what I could research the church was built in the 1890s and the parish got a bump of cash in the 20s or 30s, so thats probably when it was installed.