Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
i remember getting a free replacement pentium chip on our gateway2000 due to some floating point flaw someone found. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
my first time installing new hardware, specifically a voodoo 3 2000 so I could play deus ex :allears: cut the poo poo out my hand in our crappy gateway case

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I always thought early gateway stuff was kinda the fancy more expensive option. I also had a system by a company called Quantex (why do I remember this crap) and it was obviously put together the cheapest parts they could find. But they did send me a windows 95 upgrade cd some months after I purchased the system so that was cool.

Though it reminds me that the first time I installed it, for some reason I didn't have the right drivers so it ran in 16bit compatibility mode and was practically unusable. I went back to win 3.11 for a long time before trying again when the right drivers were available.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

no sure if this was actually common or just media panic, but i distinctly remember news articles about people breaking into homes just to steal RAM out of computers so that the thief had enough memory to run W95

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
The original "genie" radio commercials said win95 could run in about 8 MB of RAM. Not sure about late 1995 but at least a few years earlier it was $100 / MB

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hed posted:

The original "genie" radio commercials said win95 could run in about 8 MB of RAM. Not sure about late 1995 but at least a few years earlier it was $100 / MB

i think technically the min spec was 4MB but that was probably really painful. i do know 8MB was enough b/c i remember running win95 on a 486 w/ 8 MB.

(it was really chuggy on a 33mhz 486. bumping up to a 66mhz DX2 was a big difference)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Kitfox88 posted:

my first time installing new hardware, specifically a voodoo 3 2000 so I could play deus ex :allears: cut the poo poo out my hand in our crappy gateway case

Your card wouldn't have worked without the Blood Consecration anyway.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

yeah voodoo is right there in the name

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i think technically the min spec was 4MB but that was probably really painful. i do know 8MB was enough b/c i remember running win95 on a 486 w/ 8 MB.

(it was really chuggy on a 33mhz 486. bumping up to a 66mhz DX2 was a big difference)

i ran it on 4mb for years until my friends dad gave me 16mb and then i had 20 whole mb :pcgaming:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

tried running win98se on a maxed out 486dx66 with 32mb ram and it's still pretty chuggy

also during the install it apparently decided to not install the ide cd drivers that were necessary for it to get other drivers from the cd. called it a day at that point and haven't gotten back to looking at it

might try again with win95 on a different cf card to see if it's any faster

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 23, 2022

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the same machine had previously run win95 with a 486sx25 and 4mb ram and that was complete trash, like it'd take a few minutes to boot. i remember upgrading it to 8mb at least making it semi usable but maybe i had lower standards at the time

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i wonder if it'll run winamp

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i mean yeah that is trash but i guess that’s just what we were used to back then

computers before ssds were slow as poo poo. i’m sure your 486s running off a flash card were still significantly faster than machines with similar specs running off old ide drives in the 90s

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Gentle Autist posted:

i mean yeah that is trash but i guess that’s just what we were used to back then

computers before ssds were slow as poo poo. i’m sure your 486s running off a flash card were still significantly faster than machines with similar specs running off old ide drives in the 90s

i ran win2k off of a pcmcia/cf adapter and it was loving awesome

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Your card wouldn't have worked without the Blood Consecration anyway.

in a well actually posted:

yeah voodoo is right there in the name

:lol:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

i ran win2k off of a pcmcia/cf adapter and it was loving awesome

i've put a bunch of cf cards in arcade machines that had failed ide hard drives. it's nice that cf is mostly electrically just ide.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

in order to get the cf cards to work i needed an isa card with custom ide drivers (xtide) that avoided/overrode the ones included in the bios, otherwise i regularly got weird errors on writes. but yeah once i figured that out its definitely way faster than the original hdd ever was, probably bottlenecked on bus speeds now

luckily the guy making the cards (monotech) is based in palmerston north so it was real easy getting one

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sweevo posted:

no sure if this was actually common or just media panic, but i distinctly remember news articles about people breaking into homes just to steal RAM out of computers so that the thief had enough memory to run W95

It's me, the late 90s thief who knows what windows 95 is, what RAM is, and is willing to break into people's homes just to disassemble their computer and remove a stick of RAM before reassembling it.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

ibm microdrive. lulz.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Progressive JPEG posted:

tried running win98se on a maxed out 486dx66 with 32mb ram and it's still pretty chuggy

also during the install it apparently decided to not install the ide cd drivers that were necessary for it to get other drivers from the cd. called it a day at that point and haven't gotten back to looking at it

might try again with win95 on a different cf card to see if it's any faster

that tracks. i remember in the late 90s/early 2000s there was some 3rd party utility that would replace the win98 explorer with the win95 explorer because it was a lot slimmer

Gentle Autist posted:

did 486-class machines even have DMA or were they limited to PIO? i cannot recall. a fast enough HDD could probably saturate a 486

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
like, i think a non-trivial part of the speedup i got from bumping from a DX to a DX2 back in the day was probably that the computer was able to issue drive commands faster

i could be wrong though

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

that tracks. i remember in the late 90s/early 2000s there was some 3rd party utility that would replace the win98 explorer with the win95 explorer because it was a lot slimmer

did 486-class machines even have DMA or were they limited to PIO? i cannot recall. a fast enough HDD could probably saturate a 486

you could use progman as a shell through win98.

dma was a thing in 386 even.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Volmarias posted:

It's me, the late 90s thief who knows what windows 95 is, what RAM is, and is willing to break into people's homes just to disassemble their computer and remove a stick of RAM before reassembling it.

did you clean the tower out too or not

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

we had win95 on a 50mhz 486 8mb of ram and it ran, but it wasn't good. multitasking was one of those mythical buzzwords that didn't seem plausible. exiting windows into dos mode was still required by many games to free up enough memory for them

going from that to my first homebuilt computer with a pentium 2 266 and a massive 64megs of ram was :eyepop:

Progressive JPEG posted:

i wonder if it'll run winamp

our old 486 could only play an mp3 if it was 22khz and mono and nothing else was running at the same time. on a 25mhz 486, forget it

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Kitfox88 posted:

did you clean the tower out too or not

Buddy, I only took enough RAM to run windows 95 and that's it. I'm a professional, I have standards.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

no i meant like take a dustbuster or some canned air to it.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Kitfox88 posted:

no i meant like take a dustbuster or some canned air to it.

twice now you've accused them of stealing poo poo from the tower. if you don't need dust, you don't take dust. jesus you greedy gently caress.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

:mad:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Why would I clean their computer after ransacking it? You gotta think before you ask this stuff

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Why would I clean their computer after ransacking it? You gotta think before you ask this stuff

get rid of the fingerprints. amateur hour over here.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Midjack posted:

get rid of the fingerprints. amateur hour over here.

Said the dim bulb who, apparently, doesn't even wear gloves when they burgle.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

is this the "ram raiding" i keep hearing about in the news

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

:xd:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Kitfox88 posted:

when we read instructions on how to open our powermac 9500 it said to be careful because it usually made people bleed

we laughed and then all proceeded to cut our hands one-by-one on that cursed box

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i've put a bunch of cf cards in arcade machines that had failed ide hard drives. it's nice that cf is mostly electrically just ide.

yeah since i was just doing it on a pc it was seriously super easy and probably the best upgrade you could do

although i guess if its really old

Progressive JPEG posted:

in order to get the cf cards to work i needed an isa card with custom ide drivers (xtide) that avoided/overrode the ones included in the bios, otherwise i regularly got weird errors on writes. but yeah once i figured that out its definitely way faster than the original hdd ever was, probably bottlenecked on bus speeds now

luckily the guy making the cards (monotech) is based in palmerston north so it was real easy getting one

that might be a problem, but i mean you're already talking isa cards so... lol

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

teletext

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

that motherfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Of course, the French being as they are went both more stylish and horny