Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

local backup is the only way for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i use icloud it’s extremely convenient and seamless

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Gentle Autist posted:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
YOSPOS desperate to cj their own ghetto datacenter while i luxuriously pay $1.99/mo or something for some other rear end in a top hat to do it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

okay look i have trust issues about storing stuff on computers i don't control. my offsite backup is a usb hard drive in my bank box that i bring home once a quarter.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i don’t trust myself

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://www.technologyreview.com/2022/07/15/1056042/chinese-novel-censored-before-shared/

A chinese equivalent to google docs and office 365 locked a novelist out of her million-word work due to *waves hands* "illegal stuff"

Now, how does this apply to data that is possibly encrypted and incredibly secure in the cloud? Well, not much, but

Midjack posted:

okay look i have trust issues about storing stuff on computers i don't control.

(no, I don't have a bank box, and I'd likely just give a usb stick to my parents to leave in the attic or some poo poo)

I admit, though, that I have all of my contact info on my google account as well as my calendar going back probably a decade so I'd have a hell of a time remembering an alibi if I was asked where I was on july 21, 2015 if I couldn't see my calendar.

EDIT: apparently I was at work and then I went to microcenter

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i just have one of those fire-proof lock boxes that i put paperwork into and a nas for backups :shrug: needs-suiting

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Smythe posted:

YOSPOS desperate to cj their own ghetto datacenter while i luxuriously pay $1.99/mo or something for some other rear end in a top hat to do it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i use gnome backup and it writes a bunch of encrypted files to google drive op

important stuff on my phone gets transferred to my desktop automatically using syncthing

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

sb hermit posted:

EDIT: apparently I was at work and then I went to microcenter

poo poo, you sure that's not my calendar entry?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Agile Vector posted:

poo poo, you sure that's not my calendar entry?

great minds think alike

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

sb hermit posted:

great minds think alike
and also you and agile vector

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Gentle Autist posted:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsD87v8F914&hd=1

Lmao, the pixel 6A has a 60hz screen that drops frames while scrolling around and no wireless charging. $450, please. Anroid!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pretty sure you can get a refurb iphone 12 for less than that now

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

FlapYoJacks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsD87v8F914&hd=1

Lmao, the pixel 6A has a 60hz screen that drops frames while scrolling around and no wireless charging. $450, please. Anroid!

"new budget phone"

$450

:hmmno:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Pretty sure you can get a refurb iphone 12 for less than that now

but eww, icky, gross

not even joking I wouldn't get a refurb phone myself, don't mind fixing my own though

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Private Speech posted:

but eww, icky, gross

not even joking I wouldn't get a refurb phone myself, don't mind fixing my own though

:chloe:

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
the gently caress, awful.app doesn't have search??? awful.apk even searches within thread. swapping the Sim back to my pixel 6 when I get home

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Celexi posted:

the gently caress, awful.app doesn't have search??? awful.apk even searches within thread. swapping the Sim back to my pixel 6 when I get home

feel free to knock yourself out:

https://github.com/Awful/Awful.app/issues/23

https://github.com/Awful/Awful.app/issues/735

yes I just linked a 10 year old feature request, it’s the open source way you’re going back to with a Linux

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Celexi posted:

idk how to "find on page" on any iphone app including safari. i basically have no idea how to operate my telephone. its hosed up.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you have to choose between searching and posting threads. being able to do both is just too much power to contain within a single app.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Smythe posted:

idk how to "find on page" on any iphone app including safari. i basically have no idea how to operate my telephone. its hosed up.

you type poo poo in the location bat and tap ‘find on page’, hth

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Gentle Autist posted:

lol wow. but also really weird? why is it like that. makes no sense

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the concept of a dedicated search box died long ago :rip:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Gentle Autist posted:

lmao christ i have been wondering how to do this for years

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

cowboy beepboop posted:

lmao christ i have been wondering how to do this for years

if you go to the share menu there's also a 'find on page' option

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Smythe posted:

lol wow. but also really weird? why is it like that. makes no sense

apple is all about discoverability

101 posted:

if you go to the share menu there's also a 'find on page' option

ux is my passion

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

infernal machines posted:

apple is all about discoverability

ux is my passion

ok, where should they put it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

carry on then posted:

ok, where should they put it

yeah, it is tricky, no other browser in history having had this strange feature. but either way the important thing is that you've defended apple from this vicious attack.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

where’s the bat

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, it is tricky, no other browser in history having had this strange feature. but either way the important thing is that you've defended apple from this vicious attack.

answer the question lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

you could also tell me where they put it

carry on then fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 24, 2022

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

carry on then posted:

it's loving hilarious how you assume i'm defending some megacorporation when i ask a simple question

i mean, it is still a compliment in that i assume you're being disingenuous rather than too stupid to imagine a menu in a mobile application. commonly three dots or lines, echoing a bit of classic computer ui established in 1984, that sort of thing.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i mean, it is still a compliment in that i assume you're being disingenuous rather than too stupid to imagine a menu in a mobile application. commonly three dots or lines, echoing a bit of classic computer ui established in 1984, that sort of thing.

so, you're recommending they change an icon. that'll make it discoverable?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

carry on then posted:

so, you're recommending they change an icon. that'll make it discoverable?

what icon do they use now?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jabor posted:

what icon do they use now?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's pretty arbitrary really, except that in previous ios versions that icon was just for actions that "sent" the page somewhere and other browser functions were elsewhere, now they're almost all in there including ones that don't involve sending the page anywhere

in ios mail you move, archive, and print from the reply menu

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
yeah i hate that they changed the meaning of that icon

also love when i press that icon and i'm presented with some options with a (...) at the end of the list lol

(eg it does that in messages when you click on it beside an image)