Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
some excellent forum name change selections in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
ooh la la

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

I think the germans were even worse with that

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

FMguru posted:

some excellent forum name change selections in there

"Yeah it's like a Clamato juice, only... actually better you don't ask"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Armitag3 posted:

yeah, minitel actually had useful info and services on it. german teletext was literally 100% phone sex ads

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that also seems useful

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Of course, the French being as they are went both more stylish and horny

and people thought they were being clever during the sprint-nextel merger

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

that new zachtronics game sure went in a different direction to what i was expecting

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Of course, the French being as they are went both more stylish and horny

most of those sex minitel services were owned by the same company founded by Xavier Niel, who became a billionaire and later started an isp called "free" whose aggressive pricing is why we have relatively cheap internet and phone internet services in france

so even though the minitel is dead it still have a lasting impact on the internet in france and I find it hilarious that its thanks to the sex stuff. french people tend to omit that part when they crow about the minitel

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

In some cases, the teletext is alive to this day and you can browse it from the comfort of your computer with the teletext 2.0 aka the internet https://nos.nl/teletekst

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

just remembered the little clip mechanisms that laptops had on the front to keep them shut

like on a powerbook or an ibm or early lenovo thinkpad

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1987/07/france-the-sexy-computer/665168/

1987 article on the penetration of the minitel and it's cyber hotness into french life.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Sweevo posted:

yeah, minitel actually had useful info and services on it. german teletext was literally 100% phone sex ads

"was"?

Certain private TV stations in Germany not only still send Teletext, they have systems where you can call for 0.50€ (or more?) to vote on Teletext polls.

And thousands of people vote on those polls. Every day.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Progressive JPEG posted:

just remembered the little clip mechanisms that laptops had on the front to keep them shut

like on a powerbook or an ibm or early lenovo thinkpad

lol, i complained about them once and an industrial designer i knew was like "what do you think they should use instead, magnets? :smuggo:"

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

apple's little hooks retracting when not near the release button's magnets was a really clever split-the-difference. i always worried they would get damaged, but it beat the chonky fixed latch on my compaq (lol) before my mbp 2006

also apple's laptops having a pulsing sleep light on the latch button. it was super slick at the time

i guess mild lol at how the thin aluminum above the latch button would slowly indent from use

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
no calculator app on the ipad

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

lol

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

omg

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

doing drugs at startups. (and drugs hurting a lot less)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirehog

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i wrote a gnutella clone in realbasic (itself a clone of visualbasic) lmao

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

port it to gambas

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

its on a 20 year old cdr somewhere so probably :rip:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Carthag Tuek posted:

its on a 20 year old cdr somewhere so probably :rip:

this made me think no computer i've purchased or built since 2010 has had an optical media drive.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

my last optical drive was a bluray drive in 2011. it was $5 and i used it to rip movies until i got lazy and set up a usenet pipeline for media

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i still have an optical drive in the front of my desktop

it's not hooked up because the motherboard i got in 2014 or thereabouts doesn't even have the right connectors for it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeah i think the last one i got was in 09 ish

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

this computer is the first one that doesn't have a floppy drive

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sweevo posted:

this computer is the first one that doesn't have a floppy drive

So are you still running XP or

nudgenudgetilt posted:

my last optical drive was a bluray drive in 2011. it was $5 and i used it to rip movies until i got lazy and set up a usenet pipeline for media

The last optical drive I got was probably around 2016 or so, I used it to install Windows and relevant drivers and have never touched a disc since.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
funny enough, I had a blu ray drive hooked up until last week when I disconnected it so I could easily plug in a hard drive I was archiving. thx for the reminder to plug the Blu-ray drive back in.
I last used it maybe a year ago to rip a Blu-ray that was prone to skipping on the xbone.
Made many points with my partner doing that.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
the original Xbox (oxbox) couldn’t play dvds out of the box. you had to buy the remote which included a cd to install the license file. I recall this was because ms didn’t want to pay the :10bux: per machine for dvd playback.

also the early days of oXbox live were wild. you could change your voice to sound like an incomprehensible robot! or the girl filter!

to piss off my extremely conservative christian roommate who hogged the Xbox all the time, I made my live handle xVaginalJesusx (a band from the man who brought you anal oval office, and which somehow managed to not get immediately flagged) and so he just figured out how to use hamachi to tunnel lan games so I blocked the port at the router. passive aggression is never the answer but I was young!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

namlosh posted:

funny enough, I had a blu ray drive hooked up until last week when I disconnected it so I could easily plug in a hard drive I was archiving. thx for the reminder to plug the Blu-ray drive back in.
I last used it maybe a year ago to rip a Blu-ray that was prone to skipping on the xbone.
Made many points with my partner doing that.

my new case doesn't even have any external drive bays. i should probably get an external enclosure for by bd-r drive so i can plug it in when necessary, but i haven't actually used it in years

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Volmarias posted:

So are you still running XP or

The last optical drive I got was probably around 2016 or so, I used it to install Windows and relevant drivers and have never touched a disc since.

microsoft offers flash drive based installers which is how i installed win10 on my last box since i too have not owned an optical drive in ages

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sadly my linux box faces backwards and my main machine doesn't have any drive bays or i'd get one of those sick rear end icydocks

four 2.5 sata bays and a laptop optical in a single 5.25 bay hell yeah

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

sadly my linux box faces backwards and my main machine doesn't have any drive bays or i'd get one of those sick rear end icydocks

I've had a few of these over the years and they all seem to die after a year or so.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
it seems like the thermals would be kinda bad unless there were some deece fans back there or something yeah

super cool, though. i'm a slut for weird things in that form factor

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

cool

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Boody posted:

I've had a few of these over the years and they all seem to die after a year or so.

seconding, i've found out the hard way that neat poo poo like this tend to use really lovely cheap controllers that literally burn out after roughly a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Armitag3 posted:

:chanpop: