Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Welcome to the new combo rules/feedback thread, designed to slightly reduce the number of stickies!

Honestly the rules VG wrote in the previous rules thread still hold up here, so I'll just quote them since these rules are written far better than I ever could.

VideoGames posted:

BELIEVE WOMEN WHO HAVE SAID THEY ARE BEING ABUSED. BELIEVE ALL WOMEN. BELIEVE LOGAN DAY. I BELIEVE HER

Hello Games!
This is your brand new rules thread for the roaring 20s. I do not want to bog you all down in a load of rules because we try to be more flexible here but all you need to know is the following:

Standard rules of forum decency (found on the main page) apply here.

More Games specific stuff:

Also Please report people being bigots of all kinds (racism, transphobia, homophobia, sexism) because we do not want them here.
We can never have too many reports.

Below is a handy list of people who can help here in games should something be going on and you want more immediate action than reports. Please click any of the usernames to send a PM, or use my email if you do not have platinum.

ADMIN:
Videogames
(Looks after all Video and Trad Games and subs - please escalate here.)

MODS:

NikkolasKing
ShallNoiseUpon
HopperUK

IK:
Captain Foo (Path of Exile Thread IK)

Mode 7 IK of whole Retro Forum

Our friendly IKs are able to hand out six hour probes for anything they feel is making games, retro games, or mobile games unfun to read. They cannot do anything higher or read reports.

For other forums, please check their stickied rules pages.

Enjoy having fun in Games!

Updated: 2020/10/06 - Added Cheetah7071 & ShallNoiseUpon to Mods, removed from IK

Updated: 2020/11/21 - Removed Relax or DIE & Cheetah7071 from Mods

Updated: 2020/12/23 - Added Metis of the Hallways & Harrow to IK

Updated: 2021/06/21 - Removed Noise from Mods, added Mega64 and RocketRaygun to list of IKs

Updated: 2022/02/23 - Removed Harrow from Mods, added Mega64 to full time mod.

Updated: 2022/12/01 - Added ShallNoiseUpon back to mod (:owned:), Added HopperUK to mod, added Captain Foo to POE Thread IK

Updated: 2023/02/10 - Removed Metis from IKs. :(

Updated: 2023/02/23 - Added Mode 7 to IKs

Updated: 2023/03/07 - Removed Mega64 from Mods

quote:

:siren: NEW (as of Sept 1, 2022) - To email all admins, please use the following email: forumadmins@somethingawful.com :siren:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Previous Feedback Thread

If you have any feedback on Games as well as the Retro Games and Mobile Gaming subforums, please feel welcome to post it here.

Things you could talk about here include general thoughts on subforum culture, your thoughts on moderating decisions, questions/suggestions about specific threads, dumb and/or funny ideas to improve the forum, or just dumb shitposts. Or, you know, whatever. Think of this as the QCS of Games but without having to actually deal with QCS.

And of course reports and PMs are always welcome.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

thank you for taking pains to reduce the number of stickied threads. it was a lot. I think there's still probably two or three too many, but this is a fine compromise and there's more room for threads on the first page now

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There's only 6 now, I'm pretty sure there are other forums with even more. It's fine imo.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Free Stux

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Imprison stux

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
What about gender references? As a person who identifies as female, I don't like being referred as 'you guys'. Am I off base? Should I just smile and keep moving? I'd like to hear mods thoughts on gender references in Games discussions (not including genders found in games of course).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Just my opinion and not speaking for the other mods/IKs, I would definitely prefer the community to use gender-neutral pronouns when appropriate, but it's also not necessarily something I want to enforce as a rule. Plus some people may use "guys" as a gender-neutral term as well, even if it's traditionally meant for men.

There's too much nuance that makes me not want to make a blanket rule for anything like that. Definitely open to feedback/advice though, I'm sure there's a better way to handle this that I haven't thought of.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Use the gender neutral "gamers" when addressing the community

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Friends, Romans, Countrygamers

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I prefer Gaming Enthusiast

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RBA Starblade posted:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Trying to police peoples language for not looking in a thread and clicking everyones profile and taking a tally of the genders first seems like a bad move, imo.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

"assholes" is gender neutral.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Trying to police peoples language for not looking in a thread and clicking everyones profile and taking a tally of the genders first seems like a bad move, imo.

To be clear that’s not what I’m discussing. Using gender neutral language doesn’t care what genders anyone is.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mayveena posted:

To be clear that’s not what I’m discussing. Using gender neutral language doesn’t care what genders anyone is.

I can only speak for America but "guys" has been neutrally used when speaking generally basically my whole life. And as someone who works with kids, they still do even now so it's not some boomer thing.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I can only speak for America but "guys" has been neutrally used when speaking generally basically my whole life. And as someone who works with kids, they still do even now so it's not some boomer thing.

There are words that we no longer use that were used for centuries. As a Black woman I am well aware of them. Language moves on, it always has, and I would like for people to understand that. I am nearly 65, I used 'you guys' for nearly all of my life. But no longer.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

gamer works for all situations throughout life. a perfect word

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I really don't think SA needs any hard rules about acceptable gender neutral pronouns

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

make it gamerz with a z, to be cool and modern

(speaking seriously imo guys is p gender neutral and i don't mind being called that but also people sounds too formal and peeps sounds too casual, posters might be better?? but gamers makes me lol too)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Imo it's about as gender neutral as calling someone a dick, definitely brings a specific gender to mind but acceptable to use when describing anyone being a jerk

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mayveena posted:

There are words that we no longer use that were used for centuries. As a Black woman I am well aware of them. Language moves on, it always has, and I would like for people to understand that. I am nearly 65, I used 'you guys' for nearly all of my life. But no longer.

Even as a woman, I use "you guys" sometimes, which I think is largely due to a regional dialect type thing. I try not to around internet strangers when I don't know how they'd feel about that, but it slips out sometimes. If I catch myself (and especially if think someone would be bothered) I'll correct myself. If I don't catch it or someone points it out first, I'd apologize and make sure not to do it again. On a personal level, it doesn't bother me to be addressed that way, but there are other colloquial things that do so I get how that varies.

As far as it being used here, like with other gendered things, I don't see an issue with just asking not to be referred to that way. If someone keeps being a dick after that is when it becomes an issue, at least in my experience.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This forum also has posters for whom English is not their first language, and nuances like that might not be so easy to navigate if, say, in popular entertainment "you guys" is used in a non-gender-specific way.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

May I request my name in the changelog be updated from "Mall Santa Metis" to my current username

Please and thank you

Edit: I see I'm also in there as "New Super Metis". Sorry sorry I promise I finished the username changing joke

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

In thinking more about this, what I’d like to happen is if someone sad ‘you guys’ in a thread I’d like to be able to report it and then a mod would come to the thread and say something like ‘hey, here at SA we prefer gamers to use gender neutral pronouns’. I don’t think there’s a need for probes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm glad y'all worked it out.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The actual solution is to get a recognizable avatar/become an infamous enough poster people will remember your gender.

At least that's how I remember more clearly the gender of whoever is posting.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mayveena posted:

In thinking more about this, what I’d like to happen is if someone sad ‘you guys’ in a thread I’d like to be able to report it and then a mod would come to the thread and say something like ‘hey, here at SA we prefer gamers to use gender neutral pronouns’. I don’t think there’s a need for probes.

What happens if it keeps happening in the thread? Not even in a deliberate way where someone's baiting a mod reaction (but that is going to happen if they start doing this), but because different posters do it out of habit and see it as gender-neutral, and in a 300 page megathread someone might have skipped over a mod FYI in the past 10 or 20 pages?

And should the mods be following this policy on "bro" and "dude" as well?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Mayveena posted:

I think the best and most workable solution is that if someone refers to you in thread as something you are not comfortable with, that you request to them that they not use it.

Not everyone reads every single post, remembers every single person, speaks the same dialect or language. Context Moderation is what I prefer to use in these situations.

I think the main rule about forums decency can encompass treating people correctly in posts and how they refer to each other.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Metis of the Hallways posted:

May I request my name in the changelog be updated from "Mall Santa Metis" to my current username

Please and thank you

Edit: I see I'm also in there as "New Super Metis". Sorry sorry I promise I finished the username changing joke

Done!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

VideoGames posted:

I think the best and most workable solution is that if someone refers to you in thread as something you are not comfortable with, that you request to them that they not use it.

Not everyone reads every single post, remembers every single person, speaks the same dialect or language. Context Moderation is what I prefer to use in these situations.

I think the main rule about forums decency can encompass treating people correctly in posts and how they refer to each other.

I tried that and got heavily criticized for it in the Management thread. I said please don’t refer to me as a guy and got jumped on. The mod came in and said for us to respect each other but it wasn’t clear to me that my position was to be respected. Thus this query.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's quite a lot of disagreement across generations and genders over whether the plural "guys" or "you guys" is gendered or not. I don't really think it's the Games mods' job to pick one side or the other there.

I also think there's a big difference between calling an individual poster "a guy," something I think most English speakers treat as gendered, and including the phrase "you guys" in a post aimed at a whole thread. If someone calls you a "guy" individually you should absolutely feel free to correct them if you're not, but I don't think referring to a whole thread as "you guys" is quite the same, again given that there's reasonable disagreement both on and off the forums over whether "you guys" is gender-neutral.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
i'm really struggling to imagine a situation where "you guys" would upset me.

i guess if it was "you guys, and i do mean males who are 100% not women at all". that would probably be a bad post. but also for other reasons.

Ygmir
Jan 27, 2012

Y'all should just use the one true plural pronoun "y'all"

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Hey so there's a gambling addiction resource thread stickied in the poker forum, but not the mobile games forum! It would be great if some of the same resources could be posted there, especially if people have gacha-specific resources to link.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Hey so there's a gambling addiction resource thread stickied in the poker forum, but not the mobile games forum! It would be great if some of the same resources could be posted there, especially if people have gacha-specific resources to link.

That's a good idea. Even in my short time as mod I've seen somebody request being banned from a thread due to gambling addiction.

Of course I have no clue about any of this so if the thread does happen, I'd need some help filling out the OP and whatnot.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

as someone who specifically avoids gacha games and the like due to an actual factual gambling addiction, i think this is a great idea

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, I've also had problems with gacha gambling in the past and this isn't a bad idea in the slightest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Adding my voice to the chorus saying this is a good idea