Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

it is because of plastic offgassing, and periodic stress of the soles (from wearing them) can limit the particular breakdown.

shoes will last significantly longer if worn once a month vs never wearing them at all if they have a plastic sole. leather sole shoes do not break down in the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
what if you encase them in a solid block of epoxy though?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
what if I pay a shoe bull to wear them on a treadmill and nothing else

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Boxturret posted:

can I add a chain to this block?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/TaschaLabs/status/1551281097530437632

i love this idea any time it pops up

these people just get so angry when things make money that doesn't go to them, even if it's a video they watched

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Ariong posted:

It’s funny that the theead has a lot of ideas that are only stupid for one or two reasons, bu they decided to lead with the Amazon backyard mini-warehouse idea which is stupid for fifty reasons.
the solution to all logistics problems is to make them exponentially more complicated

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
When an actor says thank you to the fans for loving the movie they think, I'll take my thank you in cash.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

look, you just aren't thinking about all the savings you will get when you order something and it turns out to be in your own back yard!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

like 90% of web3 ideas seem to be what if companies had loyalty cards, but for loyalty programs that make no loving sense

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

what if i did everything i do right now, but i got paid for it in tokens that could go up 1000000%!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

what if instead of being like i dunno a coupon for a free sandwich the next time you visit, the loyalty card literally gave your dna to data brokers

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

what if every time you did literally anything that generated like a dozen independent opportunities to lose literally everything in a hack

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
the problem with these web3 proposals is that they lack the insane hyper-local aspect of old blockchain proposals. what if every toaster in the world was powered by the blockchain and each one had their own token, and you could buy the NFT of one person's toaster and every time they made toast you got tokens. also the tokens are worth money for some reason, and you get the money.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

like imagine looking at the current state of the web and thinking to yourself yeah, yeah the problem here is that our day to day lives need to be even more dependent on the security and reliability of a bunch of fuckin' javascript that looks like it was written by a tarsier on thorazine

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Crust First posted:

the problem with these web3 proposals is that they lack the insane hyper-local aspect of old blockchain proposals. what if every toaster in the world was powered by the blockchain and each one had their own token, and you could buy the NFT of one person's toaster and every time they made toast you got tokens. also the tokens are worth money for some reason, and you get the money.

"the" problem, yes. the one and only

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
what if my toaster was powered by a smart contract and when i put the wrong kind of bread in, it just disappears forever, unrecoverable.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Boxturret posted:

what if you put them in a big glass box at the stanford business school

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

if you use glass with the wrong refractive index all the attention tokens will bounce off

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/TaschaLabs/status/1551281082024148992

that costco one has me lollin

costcos entire business model is selling stuff at near-cost (hence, the name) and making their profits on the annual membership fees. im sure theyre just champing at the bit to allow customers to sublet their membership access to other people, pocketing the money and cutting costco out completely. costco doesnt want shoppers in their stores, they want members

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Huh, so that's what ayahuasca does to your brain

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

im just so mad!! i paid for access to this store and they don't allow me to profit off of it!!!

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Boxturret posted:

https://twitter.com/TaschaLabs/status/1551281097530437632

i love this idea any time it pops up

these people just get so angry when things make money that doesn't go to them, even if it's a video they watched

since that person is a macroeconomics phd, maybe she has not really internalized (= does not care about) any of the technical details and limitations of blockchains, so it's all really fitting together the spherical cows of massively complex large scale enterprise (amazon, google) and the sperical cows of crypto tokens

the ideas are there, you just need to go an implement them.

i guess macroeconomics means that you do not under any circumstances think about any details that may absolutely invalidate your great world changing thesis

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

mmm, yes, let's record everyone's credit card transactions on a public ledger. I am a shrewd understander of how things work.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

it's the same problem with the people who want to be able to sell their steam games as nfts

okay so the company has two options, just sell two individual things to two people, making 2*cost of item off the transaction, or allow people to resell or rent the one they bought, so the company gets 1*cost of item+a percentage of the rental or sale(and in these situations the bitcoiner always imagines that they'll be profiting from this somehow, so they get the majority of the proceeds)

what company on earth would choose that?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

what if literally all of life was a garage sale you could never leave and all transactions require understanding how pgp works

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

what if i got paid fractions of a penny for no reason every time i did something i was going to do anyway

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sweevo posted:

what if i paid fractions of a penny for no reason every time i did something i was going to do anyway

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

glaring at my lunch: The peanut butter in this sandwich should be an NFT

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Sweevo posted:

what if i got paid fractions of a penny for no reason every time i did something i was going to do anyway

and also get paid a percentage of all the proceeds from any media or company I interact with in perpetuity?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

aw frig aw dang it posted:

glaring at my lunch: The peanut butter in this sandwich should be an NFT

imaging eating a sandwich and it not giving you a percentage in the companies that produced the bread, peanut butter, jam, and margarine

sounds like a hell world

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SubG posted:

like 90% of web3 ideas seem to be what if companies had loyalty cards, but for loyalty programs that make no loving sense

almost like it's a bunch of morons coming up with these ideas or something

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I can't believe they didn't include Fitbit paying or charging you by the step, calorie, etc. loving amateurs.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

gschmidl posted:

I can't believe they didn't include Fitbit paying or charging you by the step, calorie, etc. loving amateurs.

fitcoin

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Boxturret posted:

imaging eating a sandwich and it not giving you a percentage in the companies that produced the bread, peanut butter, jam, and margarine

sounds like a hell world

Why are you putting margarine in your PB&J?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Nemo2342 posted:

Why are you putting margarine in your PB&J?

pay me a few sandwichcoins and I'll tell you

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Beeftweeter posted:

sounds like that ladys been token too much. you might even say she doesn't know what shes token about

reality show where web3 proselytizers are placed in a mock small town and provided all necessities for stable living, but access to anything with internet connectivity is forbidden

mobile devices tantalizingly close but just out of reach, their approach blocked by chain-linked fence

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

kalensc posted:

reality show where web3 proselytizers are placed in a mock small town and provided all necessities for stable living, but access to anything with internet connectivity is forbidden

mobile devices tantalizingly close but just out of reach, their approach blocked by chain-linked fence

i would pay for an additional streaming service just to watch this

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
every time tantalus reaches for his phone, it gets pulled a little further away

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

a reality show where web 3 proselytizers must live in their dream world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

gschmidl posted:

that was a thing, without bitcoin. there was a service where you like, put $20 in a pot at the beginning of the week and had to work out that week, if you didn't you lost the $20 and if you did you split the pot with everyone else that did

i remember it getting a bunch of press and then i never heard anything about it after that so i assume the glaring problems with the idea did it in