Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Maybe he's the one they run the zombiefied V on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Open Source Idiom posted:

Interviews with the creatives that spoiled that the actor was returning, though with some variation in terms of the performance / who he's meant to be playing under the suit/whatever.

Gotcha, thanks!

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I enjoyed the series up the last episode. I can't believe they went for the beyond clichéd good guys and bad guys punching each other (and throw in a ludicrous macguffin as well) as the finale. The whole fate of the America/the world is decided by who does silly super hero punching better in some bar room brawl? This show is so much better than that, it didn't deserve to end a series on such a failure of writing. Knock off Marvel rubbish with some naughty words sprinkled in, get outta here.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

What does a good version of that confrontation look like to you?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

flashy_mcflash posted:

What does a good version of that confrontation look like to you?

Remember the dance-off at the end of the first Guardians of the Galaxy?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Interviews with the creatives that spoiled that the actor was returning, though with some variation in terms of the performance / who he's meant to be playing under the suit/whatever.

Interesting. After season 2, I was wondering if they would bring back someone in the suit and Starlight/Maeve/the audience would be uncertain whether he had recovered or been replaced.

Maybe they are going to do something like that for 4.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

That makes sense. I figured that they were setting up a "new" Black Noir since all of the official social media accounts aren't mentioning Black Noir's death. The Vought Instagram page for instance made a post about Queen Maeve's death but not Black Noir. They'll probably cover up the original death and just have someone entirely new don the Black Noir persona.

I do wonder how this will play out because Black Noir so far is nothing like the one in the comics.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Witeldram posted:

I do wonder how this will play out because Black Noir so far is nothing like the one in the comics.

Deep: Wow, Noir's buff now. He's even got a similar build to you, Homelander!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm happy for the actor to finally get some lines and face time after several seasons of nothing (assuming that's actually him under the suit all the time and they aren't just swapping several stuntmen). I wonder if new Black Noir is not just going to be another person for Homelander to abuse since he's not going to be a silent yes man Homelander can project upon.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
The Black Noir thing was so weird because it seemed like they had a really cool way to manifest his inner childishness or whatever part of his character that was meant to be, with the talking cartoons.
But they saved it all for just one episode quite late on (the episode where he died, maybe?) and basically didn't introduce the concept at all either. I feel like the way you'd want something quite out-there like that to be introduced would be a bit more gradual and mysterious. So maybe a scene earlier in the season where he goes to the place and then there's a big reveal of the cartoons talking to him, but just something short and punchy. Then it cuts away without explanation. Audience is left wondering what the gently caress was that all about. Later on in the season you could introduce the other backstory stuff and why he's kind of a child inside, which starts to explain things.

Instead they just crammed the whole concept into an episode relatively late in season after they'd already introduced the childishness concept. And they just straight away had the whole cast of cartoon characters having a big conversation with him and everything. So it was like oh ok they are depicting his inner child manifesting and an internal dialogue that's leading him to confront his past, right that all makes sense, kind of kooky I guess but.. vOv
It fell very flat, for me.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, I feel like the writing was kind of hit and miss with this season for me, and honestly as a whole I'd put the show into the "good not great" category. It's a fun show and I enjoy watching it in the moment but it doesn't really stay with me the way some other shows or movies do.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i feel like getting to "there's a new noir under the mask but they're just saying its the same guy" was the goal from the start, its a commentary on branding or use of likeness or whatever, the poo poo hollywood writers take very seriously. to make you care about that at all they had to make you care about noir at all, so they gave him a little bit to do this season but accidentally made him way more interesting than was probably intended.

because of the unanticipated popularity the end result will probably be we get both: they'll go with noir 2.0 but we'll catch up with noir 1.0, grotesque and deformed in a hospital bed talking to his cartoon friends. probably forms a nice mute bond with kimiko by seasons end

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022

El Grillo posted:

The Black Noir thing was so weird because it seemed like they had a really cool way to manifest his inner childishness or whatever part of his character that was meant to be, with the talking cartoons.
But they saved it all for just one episode quite late on (the episode where he died, maybe?) and basically didn't introduce the concept at all either. I feel like the way you'd want something quite out-there like that to be introduced would be a bit more gradual and mysterious. So maybe a scene earlier in the season where he goes to the place and then there's a big reveal of the cartoons talking to him, but just something short and punchy. Then it cuts away without explanation. Audience is left wondering what the gently caress was that all about. Later on in the season you could introduce the other backstory stuff and why he's kind of a child inside, which starts to explain things.

Instead they just crammed the whole concept into an episode relatively late in season after they'd already introduced the childishness concept. And they just straight away had the whole cast of cartoon characters having a big conversation with him and everything. So it was like oh ok they are depicting his inner child manifesting and an internal dialogue that's leading him to confront his past, right that all makes sense, kind of kooky I guess but.. vOv
It fell very flat, for me.

the closest thing was Noir drawing cartoons durring a team meeting a few episodes prior.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I found out Sean Patrick Flannery of Boondock Saints fame played Gunpowder. Completely unrecognizable.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Mu Zeta posted:

I found out Sean Patrick Flannery of Boondock Saints fame played Gunpowder. Completely unrecognizable.

I categorically refuse to believe this despite all evidence.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Powder was Gunpowder?? :aaa:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Ah, good old Payload

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
The guy Butcher killed or his flashback version? I don't remember the flashback scene all that well but if it was the main actor, I did not recognize him at all.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The scene in the bathroom was him. I went back and watched it and yeah, he's like 90% unrecognizable.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Hobo Clown posted:

Powder was Gunpowder?? :aaa:

Connor MacManus was Powder??

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvh2nlqpTYw

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So this is a weird thing I realized, Voight fakes a demand by the fans for the Rise of the 7 to be written, and then it just came out that a lot of the "Release The Synder Cut" stuff was due to bots and astoturfing. There is no way they knew this. Could they? :tinfoil:

I liked that Maeve ended up better than the comics. If i remember Homelander kills her with zero effort?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

twistedmentat posted:

So this is a weird thing I realized, Voight fakes a demand by the fans for the Rise of the 7 to be written, and then it just came out that a lot of the "Release The Synder Cut" stuff was due to bots and astoturfing. There is no way they knew this. Could they? :tinfoil:

I liked that Maeve ended up better than the comics. If i remember Homelander kills her with zero effort?

Yeah it's another thing that sucks, is gross, and contributes nothing to the story other than more nihilism.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah it's another thing that sucks, is gross, and contributes nothing to the story other than more nihilism.

That's basically the comics. Butcher and his friends wear trench coats and sunglasses, pop V like its nothing and go around murdering supes because they're all pedos or just gay. You can hear Ennis jerking off thinking about killing Superman and Captain America on the page.

Its all cruel and pointless and just Garth Ennis getting his hatred for superheros out on the page. Its edgy poo poo for no reason other than to be edgy. The show is way more about capitalism and making everything into a product than superheroes itself.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yep, the show is more shining a bright light on lovely things in our society in a way that feels like a cautionary tale with a little bit of hope still dangling, which is far more entertaining because you're not just waiting around for the next horrible thing to happen (hello Walking Dead).

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's like a less depressing version of the injustice comics. After a while you were like "SERIOUSLY, SHEER ODDS SHOULD LET *ONE* loving THING WORK OUT!"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Uh, I read the whole series, and while a lot of it is Ennis jerking off over killing Superman, the anti-MIC stuff wasn't invented by the TV writers. Ennis has been on that kick for decades, too; it shows up in a lot of his Punisher stuff, especially the MAX War Journal series.

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

The system is compromised, but engaging in violence, illegal activity, allying with ugly subaltern groups, or playing by the other sides rules is unacceptable. When they go low we go high.
Are you one of those professional show reviewers who just reads the synopsis on Wikipedia?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 28, 2022

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Are you one of those professional show reviewers who just reads the synopsis on Wikipedia?

It's absolutely wild.

The show goes out of its way to hammer home the worthlessness of official channels of institutional change. Governmental oversight, peaceful protest, and now elections have been explicitly depicted as completely under Vought's control. The message is clear that the only route to defeat Homelander is violence.

And yet, the most recent season poses the question of what level of violence is worth the cost. Should they use the radioactive super weapon even if it would kill the very same people Butcher is trying to protect? And you have frenzied Posadists itt screaming "YES YOU loving MORON!"

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Ryan is a supe and needs to die like all the rest imo

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Butcher is also a supe (for 24 hrs) and needs to die (for 24 hrs)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Professor Beetus posted:

Yep, the show is more shining a bright light on lovely things in our society in a way that feels like a cautionary tale with a little bit of hope still dangling, which is far more entertaining because you're not just waiting around for the next horrible thing to happen (hello Walking Dead).

Yea, I am glad I was able to drop walking dead because I realized that it was literally just boring conversations and constant "don't you see humans are the real monsters!" drum being beat while you waited for the next shocking thing.

It was after Negan gave the shows 20th speech about why he should be in charge, because he can kill people.

I never read the whole comic, but doesn't it end with "the military and cops are the real heroes!" after Homelander kills the President and takes over?. Also I'm sure that's where this is heading.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

twistedmentat posted:

I never read the whole comic, but doesn't it end with "the military and cops are the real heroes!" after Homelander kills the President and takes over?. Also I'm sure that's where this is heading.
Eh, not really.

The Army finishes off Black Noir after he kills Homelander, and the Air Force is delighted to kill the supers who were going to replace them. It's a running theme that superheroes don't know how to do military stuff just because they have powers. "The supes betrayed us and soldiers are the real heroes" is the narrative, but it's a hollow convenience.

Susan Rayner is in the middle of a "us liberals are the REAL troop humpers" campaign speech that gets ruined by the audio clip of her having degrading sex with Butcher.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I just don't see how there's any good solution while Homelander is alive, and Soldier Boy was their best chance at killing him. And I get saving Ryan, that is not confusing. But now you have Homelander even further over the edge, and now he has his kid and welp, good job on that one, Butcher. I'm genuinely looking forward to season 4 though, because tbh even at the end of last season I was sort of "well where do we go from here and how the hell can they keep escalating this without coming to a head?" and somehow they did manage to do it in a way that was mostly satisfying.

But the "we have to do it the right way" stuff is so grating because like, wtf is the "right way" when it comes to someone as powerful and unhinged as Homelander? Dude has to be stopped at yes, nearly any cost. Because at some point he's just gonna murder Starlight and Hughie and anyone else and who is going to stop him? And how? MM drove me nuts this season every time he wanted to go after Soldier Boy. Like, what are you doing man? It would have been literal suicide, and MM never really struck me as a guy with a death wish given his relationship with his daughter being so central to his character.

I dunno, I think once again I will probably be pleasantly surprised at how they are able to keep things going in season 4 and some of this stuff will get addressed, but the false 'moral conundrum' poo poo that pretty much all comics media gets into is so frustrating. The only way to fight fascism is with fists, bullets, and anything else that will end the threat permanently. There is no negotiating with fascism, because they do not want to compromise, and eventually you will just be another name on a list of undesirables to be purged or silenced. Titans spoilers following for anyone that might care: It is morally correct for Batman to kill the Joker, it's absurd that this is something that the character has been written to agonize over for thirty years or more, and it's tired as hell. Titans, for all its many faults, at least had the balls to just have Batman kill the Joker after he killed Jason Todd. Like yeah, as soon as the Joker was in custody, because why the hell wouldn't he? The Joker is kind of a silly example (and of course Batman didn't just smile and wash his hands, of course he still agonized over it, but critically after the fact). Which of course is natural and something that people even in kill or be killed situations have to deal with.

Just hoping they can figure out a satisfying way to deal with the fallout in season 4, because it was still an immensely enjoyable season for the most part and so much of the satire is on point (and obviously blunt but, uh, you kind of have to be for the average viewer and even then you get people who unironically side with Homelander or the Empire or whatever the hell else because they are reactionary fascists.

Tl, dr: Show still good but moral quandary stuff really needs to land better for me next season if it's still going to be addressed.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I actually think Ryan will slow Homelander down a bit. He just won the kid over, and despite his smile at the end there I don't think he can go full Homelander without scaring him off. At least not yet.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

It was no more bots than you'd normally expect; the Twitter accounts of the people reporting stuff like that have higher bot percentages following. It's more of WB execs trying to cover themselves and releasing stuff like that to justify decisions in retrospect. It's basically the reverse of corporation faking fan interest since they were/are actually trying to bury it, in Snyder Cut case.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
I just binged the season in a few days and rushed into the thread without reading any posts. Has anyone brought up its lame milquetoast politics?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jay-V posted:

I just binged the season in a few days and rushed into the thread without reading any posts. Has anyone brought up its lame milquetoast politics?

Long story short, the showrunner didn't want to be subtle anymore and be super on the nose about some things because right wingers were co-opting characters in the wrong way and he didn't like it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Naming her literally Stormfront was weird and imo a very bad idea. It's one of the only places that (I assume) would be proud of the association and is just not something you want to touch like that. You're just asking for your show to become a dogwhistle no matter what its content is.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 28, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I really doubt that Neo-Nazis are going to turn a female superhero played by a Jewish actress into a meme like they tried to do with Taylor Swift.

How would "the show" become a dogwhistle? Like, tell me what you're envisioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, I feel like I'm missing a step or two here.