Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

yeah excel is great good enough for me to be job having and not field sowing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Apparently I'm a martial artist

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Moo Cowabunga posted:

yeah excel is great good enough for me to be job having and not field sowing
I loving hate excel because I am forced to it/csv as an interchange format and it sucks balls at that

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Apparently I'm a martial artist

the marital arts

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Home Despot for me. No reason, it just feels cursed and I've never been inside of a Lowes.

I was once inside of a Home Depot once though and there was an executive touring the store. I was in an aisle kinda high and staring into the middle distance looking for some plastic sheeting and suddenly one guy in a suit and a hard hat followed by 30 home depot vest-wearers swooped up to me.

The executive asked me if he could help me find what I was looking for and I asked him where the plastic sheeting was. Then everything got very silent while he looked over the shelf I was in front of befuddled. After a beat, 30 different people in vests started desperately looking over the shelves until they found some plastic sheeting (wrong thickness), handed it to the executive, who then handed it to me before they swooped off down to some other part of the store.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

El Mero Mero posted:

Home Despot for me. No reason, it just feels cursed and I've never been inside of a Lowes.

I was once inside of a Home Depot once though and there was an executive touring the store. I was in an aisle kinda high and staring into the middle distance looking for some plastic sheeting and suddenly one guy in a suit and a hard hat followed by 30 home depot vest-wearers swooped up to me.

The executive asked me if he could help me find what I was looking for and I asked him where the plastic sheeting was. Then everything got very silent while he looked over the shelf I was in front of befuddled. After a beat, 30 different people in vests started desperately looking over the shelves until they found some plastic sheeting (wrong thickness), handed it to the executive, who then handed it to me before they swooped off down to some other part of the store.

lol that owns

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I bought something from home depot the other day and opened the box and it was an entirely different item in there, and it was broken

took the return, though, so I can't say I'm really mad at them

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FMguru posted:

new (well, new to me) conspiracy just dropped: medbeds

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1552329496350662658

the illuminati all have magic capsule beds that cure all diseases that they are selfishly hoarding for themselves. the movie elysium was a documentary!

gently caress the illuminati why is no one taking about bambi sleep hypnosis

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

heated game moment posted:

what the gently caress

companies spend millions to write features in programs that are used by billions, but since they decided at some point that "WE WILL NEVER MAKE A MANUAL FOR ANYTHING", literally literally no-one uses any of those features

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

3D Megadoodoo posted:

companies spend millions to write features in programs that are used by billions, but since they decided at some point that "WE WILL NEVER MAKE A MANUAL FOR ANYTHING", literally literally no-one uses any of those features

the absolute worst decision ms ever made about excel was to translate function names, so even if documentation was available, you'd either have to look up the bullshit function name in your local language, or you're going to have to translate the function name used by the $local youtuber into english

it doesn't help that the first pages of results google gives me for any excel questions are 'excel for dutch clowns' sites, just because of where I am located

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EricBauman posted:

the absolute worst decision ms ever made about excel was to translate function names, so even if documentation was available, you'd either have to look up the bullshit function name in your local language, or you're going to have to translate the function name used by the $local youtuber into english

it doesn't help that the first pages of results google gives me for any excel questions are 'excel for dutch clowns' sites, just because of where I am located

no, the worst decision ms ever made about excel was to used different "punctuation" in functions in different languages. there's literally no reason to do so and it was doing my head in until i learned what was going on.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

3D Megadoodoo posted:

they made this decision after discovering that no one actually reads the manual.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
first they discovered that no one reads the manual, they just contacted support

then they discovered they can replace users contacting support with users contacting each other

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I read the manual <:(>

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if the product is a server program or a library then having a manual is kind of important

what you usually get is "here's a bunch of arbitrarily-chosen examples, oh and we have an introductory video"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/isolatrix_/status/1552368447903993859

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/borgposting/status/1545854556562751488

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sapozhnik posted:

if the product is a server program or a library then having a manual is kind of important

what you usually get is "here's a bunch of arbitrarily-chosen examples, oh and we have an introductory video"

its not important if no one reads it, which no does.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i've been pushing lately for people to understand that a caution triangle without some text explaining what it's for is unacceptable, and that "it means they need to go read the manual" is incredibly unacceptable. ah yes they're going to see the triangle and go pull up this 150+ page manual (they will ignore it entirely)

i've tested trying to find the caution info needed in some manuals, and it's a challenge. in a couple cases, it wasn't even in the manual, it was in specs documents, with no indication that that's where it is. even if it were in the manual, it's not even like you could put "manual pg 85" or something either because marketing changes the literature standards every couple years, and the format changes cascading through are sometimes.... less than ideal

it makes me mad!

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

:glomp:
https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1552595758209179648?s=20&t=BxRfHH0-1yufcJRdqA2gVw

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Pickle Rick but with spiders.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Waste not want not.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

echinopsis posted:

gently caress the illuminati why is no one taking about bambi sleep hypnosis

i'm a hypnofetish truther

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

EVEN IN DEATH, I STILL SERVE

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

And to think I've just been throwing away my dead spiders for all this time.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

THE SLEEPER AWAKES

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/DuffelBlog/status/1552467626542002177

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
people also don’t like to write good documentation or diagnostics because half the time it leads to awkward realizations that something shouldn’t be a problem in the first place but you sure as hell aren’t solving that now

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Roosevelt posted:

THE SLEEPER AWAKES

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

maintainign documentation is a massive pain in the rear end, so there's that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gentle Autist posted:

maintainign documentation is a massive pain in the rear end, so there's that

good docs are insanely expensive

halfassed docs are of no use

incorrect docs are worse than none at all

frankly its a wonder people ever produced them.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

good docs are insanely expensive

halfassed docs are of no use

incorrect docs are worse than none at all

frankly its a wonder people ever produced them.
computers were a mistake

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

at an old job the CEO put a really high value on good documentation. In a company with 16 engineers we had 4 doc writers, and each engineer was expected to spend 4 hours at the end of the 2 week sprint writing and reviewing docs. It was an immensely expensive undertaking.

No one read them. Support questions would come in and we’d respond with “on page 234 of the manual ot states…” and theyd say thanks and do the same thing next week.

People dont read docs. Not even good docs.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

rotor posted:

at an old job the CEO put a really high value on good documentation. In a company with 16 engineers we had 4 doc writers, and each engineer was expected to spend 4 hours at the end of the 2 week sprint writing and reviewing docs. It was an immensely expensive undertaking.

No one read them. Support questions would come in and we’d respond with “on page 234 of the manual ot states…” and theyd say thanks and do the same thing next week.

if I google a question and the docs are the first result sometimes I'll click on it instead of scrolling down to the stackoverflow result

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

yep

$250k spent on docs does not result in $250k in increased sales or $350k in reduced support costs. so why bother?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Nobody reads the manual" is a Nazi thing.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

it was that or name his kid bubblegum.crisis :mmmhmm:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

3D Megadoodoo posted:

yeah cause when i look for people who read the docs i do nazi them xD

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/mothmancommie/status/1552794327063023617

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That doesn't sound very German of them