Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

And to think I've just been throwing away my dead spiders for all this time.

you should be eating them to screw up the average

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"Nobody reads the manual" is a Nazi thing.

, says the finn

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Just surprised you took a side on this one

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i am a sicko who enjoys manual and standards reading, but i know most people are not

for products/non-internal docs, the best manuals/documentation are by far the ones with built-in help functions that go directly to what you need. NX does this surprisingly well! every property panel has a link directly to the doc covering it, and it actually goes into dece detail on what each setting does. it's refreshing.

for internal stuff, if there's a long list of docs for something, for the love of god please include more than just the title, just a sentence or two of what it covers would be nice. and also don't make your clicked/unclicked link color the same ffs. i went through a list of 20-30 docs a few weeks ago, trying to find a specific process, and i ended up with a bunch of (2) and (3) versions of several of the docs because a) titles, no description, and b) SAME LINK COLOR. i never did find the process i was looking for either

in my own documentation experience, i've given up hope that any of my standards/guidelines docs will ever be read by anyone outside my team, and tbh i don't want them to anyhow, because the design guidelines docs are for the designers, not for engineers to use as a recipe book so that they can play at being a designer.
but my team isn't great at ever reading those docs either, sooooo idk!

surely there is a better way, but alas, this is how it ever was, how it ever shall be

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
there's a reason games don't have instruction manuals anymore. the best modern works are extremely minimal on tutorials, to the point that Tunic rewards exploration by "translating" its fictional physical guide

I can enjoy writing Amazing Documentation if its a finished project with features I'm not ashamed of. it's much different grinding out hours on something that's on a poisson process to becoming Worse Than Nothing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Improbable Lobster posted:

i'm a hypnofetish truther

I didn’t think bambi sleep could be real but there are too many conversations between people who say it’s ruined their lives

I guess maybe they could all be roleplaying

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

rotor posted:

good docs are insanely expensive

halfassed docs are of no use

incorrect docs are worse than none at all

frankly its a wonder people ever produced them.

good docs fall into the same pitfall as good support: anyone with the technical aptitude to write them effectively can probably go into software dev for 3x the salary because being able to work in the ecosystem is half the job

FMguru posted:

$250k spent on docs does not result in $250k in increased sales or $350k in reduced support costs. so why bother?

it totally would if users actually read them. 50% of support questions are answered clearly by docs. 50% of support effort is expended on people who don't want to read or can't translate a general "to do this, X,Y, then Z" instruction set to their specific configuration with handholding.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

people do read docs ime, technical people at least. like i’d much rather read good api docs or specifications than ask some jerk

but i am a tragic use the computer to use the computer type. not an actual practical user of software to produce something of value.

maybe it’s more accurate to say ‘people don’t read the docs for interactive gui software’ or something like that

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

sharpen the axe for hours
cut down the tree in one

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
as a Data Visualization Professional I feel attacked

https://twitter.com/qwilman/status/1552053833790115841?s=21&t=IcC1awiGeq5lhCF9KZlcHQ

(I liked it, just wish graphs could be cool too)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Moo Cowabunga posted:

cut down the tree in one

this seems like wisdom

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Moo Cowabunga posted:

cut down the tree in one

at my job I usually get told to make the axe and get it super sharp and once it’s ready everyone already forgot about the tree

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

echinopsis posted:

this seems like wisdom

It's even wiser to measure how sharp the axe is before you spend hours sharpening it.

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

you should also make sure someone actually needs to cut down a tree in the first place

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

supabump posted:

you should also make sure someone actually needs to cut down a tree in the first place

this!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

the tree will have to be cut down eventually, we’re getting out ahead of the problem now. You have to think strategically.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

rotor posted:

the tree will have to be cut down eventually, we’re getting out ahead of the problem now. You have to think strategically.

im being proactive

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

we have chainsaws now anyway.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
https://twitter.com/classicshowbiz/status/1553162953855156224?s=21

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
what’s up doc?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/BunchesOfBees/status/1553109890452709376

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/StrangestMedia/status/1552942965643001856

Hype Williams breaks out in a cold sweat

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/molly_struve/status/1553045811038150656

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

help the work slack "memes" channel thread is leaking

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/kylerodgers/status/1552377216855572480?s=21&t=X1uE2NhhEASF7e10qjYI4A

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Brodyquest Go! Looks exhausting

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/gwire/status/1552956857102340100

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Its not even a particularly accurate term; in chattel slavery masters don’t work and slaves don’t get elected to master.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh i'm currently on a campaign to spread the 'allowlist/blocklist' paradigm over 'whitelist/blacklist' at work, and they don't suuuuuper understand. fastly deprecated the latter about two years ago and it was nice and we adjusted instantly and it wasn't a big deal at all.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jonny 290 posted:

oh i'm currently on a campaign to spread the 'allowlist/blocklist' paradigm over 'whitelist/blacklist' at work, and they don't suuuuuper understand. fastly deprecated the latter about two years ago and it was nice and we adjusted instantly and it wasn't a big deal at all.

harry connick jr had to tell the presenters of an Australian nationwide live tv variety show that a blackface jackson 5 cover was not cool, in 2009

and they were like “oh I guess that’s more sensitive in your culture sorry you were offended”

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

cripes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
we actually have a lint-like tool in our workflow that looks for problematic code. blacklist/whitelist is flagged

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/ohwormongod/status/1553530880014131200?s=21&t=pLLzOb5m5aaKSfOP0oRasA

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

idgi

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

he didn't bomb the '96 Olympics, what's not to get

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

yeah, some Republican bombed the Olympics and he was falsely accused of it, I don't understand how mocking an innocent slandered man is funny

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

what if you make it alf?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

wait, i checked wikipedia and alf actually bombed several years prior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

pseudorandom name posted:

yeah, some Republican bombed the Olympics and he was falsely accused of it, I don't understand how mocking an innocent slandered man is funny

It is unexpected that he would be in your bedroom