Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
While arthur might not have any romantic feelings for the lady up in annesburg, there’s an intense creeper just south of emerald ranch who apparently wants to go rape her

I make it a point to kill him as hard as I can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemins
Oct 27, 2005
I’ve killed him three times and he keeps coming back.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

one of the things that always make me sad is people that skip the last ones because they (correctly, for High Honor) feel arthur is done with them. you miss out on one of the most heart wrenching parts of the entire game "I'm sorry ma'am"

You can skip the Strauss stuff? I did it all and kicked him out after paying all the debts myself.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I never got a vibe that there was supposed to be a romantic thing between Arthur and Charlotte, I think he's just drawn to an opportunity to do something good and help someone for a change.

I kinda like that about the red dead series in general; it's a GTA clone but you (well I, anyway) never feel compelled to be a psychopath like in the other series, the world of red dead is grim and hard enough as it is and all I wanna do is help the poor shmucks that I come across. The first game had that vibe too, I've never been able to bring myself to do a low honor run.

I do get the talks about "killing innocent folks" but I swear the people I kill are mostly from being suicidally stupid when someone is coming through with a horse. I have never (in my main game before reloading) gone on some killing spree because it doesn't make any sense. I got a talk in Chapter 6 about robbing people when I haven't robbed anybody in forever.

But yeah, Low Honor just doesn't fit Arthur at any point in the game. It doesn't fit when he believes in the gang, it doesn't fit him when he becomes disillusioned with the gang. It's singularly uninteresting and I don't think anybody really likes it.

Also I kinda saw Hamish's end coming, especially when he said we'd split up to go against the boar. I loved that man and I am going to ride and take care of Buell for much of the rest of the game. Maybe not all of it, I don't wanna subject the old boy to gunfights and carnage.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

one of the things that always make me sad is people that skip the last ones because they (correctly, for High Honor) feel arthur is done with them. you miss out on one of the most heart wrenching parts of the entire game "I'm sorry ma'am"

This is what I did and then learned later there was a high honor end to the debt quests and I should have done the last one. Next playthrough I guess. I don't think I could bring myself to do a low honor run, but might be more violent and antagonize people more than my first run. To really get to low honor you have to treat your horse terribly, which I could never do. You're okay boyah.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

The only way I could bring myself to do a low honor run is if I were playing as Micah. It would just feel forced AF to do it as Arthur- he’s an outlaw, not an evil man.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I know "ludonarrative dissonance" is an eye rolling phrase at this point, but it really does apply to a low honor arthur. the game's not called "red dead stay the course, man"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I like how no one even bats an eye when Strauss is thrown out of camp.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

I loved that man and I am going to ride and take care of Buell for much of the rest of the game. Maybe not all of it, I don't wanna subject the old boy to gunfights and carnage.

Feel free to ignore the following spoiler, though I am still going to be vague.

Don’t ride him during story missions.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

rotinaj posted:

Feel free to ignore the following spoiler, though I am still going to be vague.

Don’t ride him during story missions.

imo, don't read this spoiler

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Buell is a good horse to ride and i suggest riding him

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I played low honor on my first run and it didnt really seem that incongruous. I mostly just lowered my honor by robbing trains and stuff though, and the subtle differences in dialogue and stuff are cool imo. A lot of the changed dialogue makes it clear that Arthur knows the world is changing, and is happy to help people who can still fit into the new world, but will go out as an outlaw and killer as some sort of atavistic rebellion to modernism, and in a way renounces Dutch in that he recognizes that he cant accept that his place in the world is gone

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
So when I play online I get the FFFFFFF error. Hooray.

I think it may be related to the G-Hub? I noticed last night I got some weird clicking in my headphones, which told me there was a voltage issue suddenly. I restarted my game and they went away. I played today and got it each time (4 times after any random thing, first time it was triggered by being in the Moonshine shack and opening up my catalogue). I looked up the issue and did the troubleshooting things but it doesn't really help. I opened up G-Hub after reading about someone correlating it to that, and noticed there WAS an update last night. Anyone else know what to do?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Hihohe posted:

:hmmyes:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

dialhforhero posted:

So when I play online I get the FFFFFFF error. Hooray.

I think it may be related to the G-Hub? I noticed last night I got some weird clicking in my headphones, which told me there was a voltage issue suddenly. I restarted my game and they went away. I played today and got it each time (4 times after any random thing, first time it was triggered by being in the Moonshine shack and opening up my catalogue). I looked up the issue and did the troubleshooting things but it doesn't really help. I opened up G-Hub after reading about someone correlating it to that, and noticed there WAS an update last night. Anyone else know what to do?

I get it now if i try to play online, I only noticed today, it's been a few weeks since I played online last. Weirdly I can still play story mode fine :shrug:

e] I have no idea how to fix it, google wasn't very helpful, just standard verify files, restart, update drivers etc. None of that worked for me.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 29, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hihohe posted:

He is a good horse and I will ride him for travel and fishing/hunting but 'take care of my horse" doesn't jive with "ride him into madness and mayhem." M y GF lost her Buell when he got killed in a mission or something and she was so sad.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

My favorite horse death was when, in a side mission, my recently purchased black Arabian decided I called it to ride alongside and then get run over by a moving train, so I got to listen to two lovebirds chatter as my horse went under the wheels

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My first playthrough, I crashed over the side of a hill and my horse went into the dying animation and I realized I no longer had the 99 horse revivers I'd had for most of the game. I spent an incredibly tense like 15-20 minutes racing across the wilderness, including getting into a terrifying accidental fight with a gang to get my hands on a horse reviver and get back in time to save the horsey. I then spent a very long time petting, brushing and explaining that the horse was a good girl and that she was alright..... :sweatdrop:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I just got the only wild Arabian I've seen in my entire playthrough run over by a train and knocked off a cliff. Don't play on rail bridges folks :negative:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

He is a good horse and I will ride him for travel and fishing/hunting but 'take care of my horse" doesn't jive with "ride him into madness and mayhem." M y GF lost her Buell when he got killed in a mission or something and she was so sad.

During one of the later missions, Arthur shows a lot of love to your active horse and if its Buell its just so :unsmith:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hihohe posted:

During one of the later missions, Arthur shows a lot of love to your active horse and if its Buell its just so :unsmith:

I will keep this in mind.

Nevermind I was mixing up things.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 29, 2022

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Now I can’t even get i to Online mode. Constant hangs on loading.

I have done everything short of a Windows reinstall because that suggestion is always dumb.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

dialhforhero posted:

Now I can’t even get i to Online mode. Constant hangs on loading.

I have done everything short of a Windows reinstall because that suggestion is always dumb.

I don't know specifically but I think the FFFFFF error is something on Rockstars end, I used to get it a lot in waves when I played RDO and then it'd just go away; I think there was some major update to GTA5 online within the last week or so, their servers are probably getting hammered.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've been wondering "where's Cain?" and I just got back from rescuing Eagle Flies to wander into a banter between Jack and Micah. I thought Micah was just bullying the kid but when Arthur talks to Micah it became obvious it's so, so much worse than that. What the gently caress.

The real villain of the game isn't Cornwall or Colm or even Milton, it's this bastard.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
He really is just an absolute piece of poo poo in ways that none of the other villains can quite match. Always hate that point where you've put off doing his mission so he's not at camp but you have to go do it to progress the story.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's time for me to express a very controversial and brave opinion.... I think Micah is kind of a jerk.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

He really is just an absolute piece of poo poo in ways that none of the other villains can quite match. Always hate that point where you've put off doing his mission so he's not at camp but you have to go do it to progress the story.

they balance it so well though to explain his presence. when Sean gets killed Micah domes like 5 guys in 3 seconds. He absolutely has his worth in a gunfight, the obvious issue is he starts too many of them

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

It's time for me to express a very controversial and brave opinion.... I think Micah is kind of a jerk.

I feel so sorry for his voice-actor because everybody loves Roger Clark and Benjamin Davis and probably pays them a decent chunk of change to say various lines. But Micah? Nobody likes Micah in any way and they won't pay him to say cute things, no matter how great he was.

The villains in this game - or antagonists if you prefer since some consider the gang villains - are not the "cool" type of antagonists like , I dunno, Darth Vader or something. I remember when the parlay happened and I saw this mug

I was like "yep, that's the face of someone you can trust." But they're all supremely unlikable and uncool. Micah is simply the peak of the fly-encrusted shitpile.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The trolley robbery Micah is Dutch's first pick before Arthur convinces him to bring Lenny, because while it was a setup the idea would have been in and out, not a bloodbath, and that's all Micah is good for.

Also I did forget how easy it was to accidentally bump into someone in Saint Denis, causing all the police in town to swarm and kill you.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcn9kC5dmzk

And so that is the main game done. I was so tired yesterday but I played the game all day because I'll be away from my PC for a week and I didn't want to stop. I still have the epilogue of course but I had to get this done. I rushed through things a bit, looking at videos there is so much more that happens in camp than I realized, but oh well. I'll have a lot to do on my replays whenever that happen but it most assuredly will happen.

Hihohe posted:

They're both with Hamish now. hunting and fishing in peace. :(

So....what to say?

1. On a story level, Micah being the rat is just as confusing as Molly since Milton says it happened after the "Caribbean" which I guess means Guarma? But what does that make of Blackwater or the Saint-Denis bank job? Abigail's miraculous escape and Milton/the Pinkertons being right there and ready for them is just so bizarre. My GF likes to headcanon Hosea helped Abigail escape but I don't know if it's ever explained and even if it was, it doesn't explain why the Pinkertons were already out in force in the city.

2. Poor Bill. Poor simple, stupid Bill. I really did like him as one of my favorites in the gang. But however loyal he and Javier are, it's like Arthur said "we ain't the ones who changed." I did miss a lot of camp banter but I got this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjFMSqZejaA&t=3837s

Earlier on Arthur says to Charles that hiding away in some cave just isn't in Dutch's character. A really neat detail I might have missed if not for my GF But yeah, between this and other things like him screaming at Ms. Grimshaw "we need money or we're DEAD! DEAD!!" - how could Bill and Javier fail to see what is happening? I guess maybe they see less of Dutch the human being and more of Dutch the messiah. Arthur knows Dutch the human being.

3. Speaking of Susan Grimshaw, that is one major problem I have with the ending. What the gently caress was that? One person sides with Arthur, one of the OG gang members, and her death is barely an afterthought. Of course Arthur and the others are more important but just writing off a gang member like taht sucks so hard.

4. And now...thoughts on the ending. I can't see why a High Honor Arthur would go for the money instead of trying to help John. It's just like if you choose to help Sadie, who I assumed would die without my help. The only thing Arthur wants to do with his remaining life is protect people and help give them a new life. Hearing his wheezing getting worse and worse as you rescue Abigail and then flee with John, that combined with the music, just drills it into your soul how much Arthur is clawing and struggling to stay alive to help those he loves. I did not expect Micah out of nowhere but I probably should have. It's the perfect finale, the most fitting ay for Arthur to go, even if he didn't finish the job. I hear Low Honor Arthur actually gets killed by Micah. Low Honor is just poo poo in every way, isn't it?

5. But now I suppose t's time to play Boring Life Simulator. I'm sure John will live out the rest of his days driving wagons or milking cows. Right....? Serious talk though, there's probably some interesting commentary on how people would rather go about fighting and killing than living a normal life. That honestly describes a lot of the gang, including Arthur at points. Although it could be as simple as "I already live a normal life so let me be a cool gunslinger man."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I have never once gone for the money, and though I've only ever played Arthur high honor, I never saw it as a priority to him. He initially wanted to get the money mostly to set up John, Abigail and Jack in comfort but the idea of him going back into the thick of the Pinkertons and the rest of the gang to try and get it just made absolutely no sense to me, and I'm glad you get given the choice for Arthur to just go alongside John for as long as he's able instead.

I think Arthur's ending is just about perfect that way, he gets John and his family out, he fights Micah to a draw despite being on the verge of death, he makes Dutch have a moment of realization that he backed the wrong "son", and he dies at peace knowing that he saved somebody he loved and gave them a chance, lying facing the sun as he breathes his last.

It took me awhile to get into the epilogue after spending so long with Arthur, but there is still a fair amount to do and of course a large chunk of the map you were prohibited from exploring with Arthur (without mods), but I think the overall story of John's attempts to make a new life have some real high highs, in particular (and this is a wonderful thing to experience for the first time, don't read the spoiler NikkolasKing) the house building section, plus you get to see what happened to a lot of people and places after the major events of the story. Make sure you visit the Rhodes General Store.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I never let arthur "go for the money" but i see how it goes and i think the choice of words is a little misleading.

Its more Arthur being angry and going for Dutch and Micah. Maybe to spite them... to kill them... to ask why. He just want to settle things with his Old family.

It also has that bad rear end version of Unshaken.

https://youtu.be/uSi83bmDvA0

NikkolasKing posted:

And i hope you dont think me mean or that i tricked you. Its just that the whole scene is so heartbreaking but specially meaningful with Buell. It makes Arthurs "Oh NOOO" like a gunshot to the heart.

You could share that moment with any horse really but With Buell hes not only thanking the horse for his service, but Hamish for some happy moments in his life. :unsmith:

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 30, 2022

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

And so that is the main game done. I was so tired yesterday but I played the game all day because I'll be away from my PC for a week and I didn't want to stop. I still have the epilogue of course but I had to get this done. I rushed through things a bit, looking at videos there is so much more that happens in camp than I realized, but oh well. I'll have a lot to do on my replays whenever that happen but it most assuredly will happen.

So....what to say?

1. On a story level, Micah being the rat is just as confusing as Molly since Milton says it happened after the "Caribbean" which I guess means Guarma? But what does that make of Blackwater or the Saint-Denis bank job? Abigail's miraculous escape and Milton/the Pinkertons being right there and ready for them is just so bizarre. My GF likes to headcanon Hosea helped Abigail escape but I don't know if it's ever explained and even if it was, it doesn't explain why the Pinkertons were already out in force in the city.

2. Poor Bill. Poor simple, stupid Bill. I really did like him as one of my favorites in the gang. But however loyal he and Javier are, it's like Arthur said "we ain't the ones who changed." I did miss a lot of camp banter but I got this one

Earlier on Arthur says to Charles that hiding away in some cave just isn't in Dutch's character. A really neat detail I might have missed if not for my GF But yeah, between this and other things like him screaming at Ms. Grimshaw "we need money or we're DEAD! DEAD!!" - how could Bill and Javier fail to see what is happening? I guess maybe they see less of Dutch the human being and more of Dutch the messiah. Arthur knows Dutch the human being.

3. Speaking of Susan Grimshaw, that is one major problem I have with the ending. What the gently caress was that? One person sides with Arthur, one of the OG gang members, and her death is barely an afterthought. Of course Arthur and the others are more important but just writing off a gang member like taht sucks so hard.

4. And now...thoughts on the ending. I can't see why a High Honor Arthur would go for the money instead of trying to help John. It's just like if you choose to help Sadie, who I assumed would die without my help. The only thing Arthur wants to do with his remaining life is protect people and help give them a new life. Hearing his wheezing getting worse and worse as you rescue Abigail and then flee with John, that combined with the music, just drills it into your soul how much Arthur is clawing and struggling to stay alive to help those he loves. I did not expect Micah out of nowhere but I probably should have. It's the perfect finale, the most fitting ay for Arthur to go, even if he didn't finish the job. I hear Low Honor Arthur actually gets killed by Micah. Low Honor is just poo poo in every way, isn't it?

5. But now I suppose t's time to play Boring Life Simulator. I'm sure John will live out the rest of his days driving wagons or milking cows. Right....? Serious talk though, there's probably some interesting commentary on how people would rather go about fighting and killing than living a normal life. That honestly describes a lot of the gang, including Arthur at points. Although it could be as simple as "I already live a normal life so let me be a cool gunslinger man."

1. Blackwater was Micah just being Micah. He had recently saved Dutch's life in an undisclosed manner, and Dutch was receptive to him as a result. He convinces Dutch to do a risky job because Arthur and Hosea were absent while setting up a different score in the city. In Saint-Denis the issue was not that Micah was already talking, its that Bronte had already already informed every cop and pinkerton in the area that Dutch was working for him and in dire straits. And then after the trolley job the pinkertons are tailing the gang constantly, with help from the underworld. Dutch and Hosea try and pull a cattle town move in the biggest city in 3 states and are utterly out of their depth. Chapter 3 and 4 are about showing how Dutch and Hosea let hubris strike them down because they twice try and pull con jobs in areas they are unfamiliar. This is not the west where people come and go frequently. They insert themselves in settled palaces and think they can blend in. They are not prepared for the increasingly modern police force and pseudo FBI they are dealing with.

Abigail's escape is not really miraculous. The pinkertons don't care about the handmaidens of the camp, they want Dutch and the other triggermen. Ostensibly most of the pinkerton's are not psychopaths like milton and ross and would object to mistreating a woman simply to get a rise out of a gang. This is before the modern justice system so as she was not a target they just let her go and treated her as a local cop problem or even as a victim of the evil gang. And yeah its also possible Hosea just helped her escape and took the fall himself, he references being sick more than once and him sacrificing himself for Abigail would be entirely in character.

2. Bill and Jaiver owe their lives to Dutch, and why should they side with Arthur and John, the former favored sons now disgraced? What future do Arthur and John offer them? They are not willing to go into hiding in the north like John does, so they stick with a gang that can potentially help provide for them.

3. Yeah she gets done dirty, but I think its just to emphasize how fast everything collapses.

4. High honor Arthur would go back in an attempt to go out and taking Dutch and Micah with him. He knows they will also go for the money, and that is also a valid way of buying John time. Low honor Arthur would see it purely as a chance for revenge. Low honor Arthur is a mean, callous, and bitter man really.

The wheezing and stuff is brutal. One of the true tragedies of the story is TB is/was not a 100% death sentence, even back then people recovered, and many still lived for years and years with the disease. Doc Holliday, one of the main Arthur inspirations, is a perfect example of that as he lived for 4 or 5 years. The death rate was like 70-80% so not good by any stretch but Arthur as a big strong guy had as good a chance as anyone to beat it. What does in Arthur so fast is that he gets tortured and severely injured by the O'Driscolls, and then literally never slows down after the Saint Denis bank job. He gets tortured again and starves in Guarma, and then upon coming back is immediately tossed into the fire of a desperate few weeks/months (time is a bit sketchy) wherein he is constantly traveling, fighting, and exerting himself. He just burns himself out.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

1. Blackwater was Micah just being Micah. He had recently saved Dutch's life in an undisclosed manner, and Dutch was receptive to him as a result. He convinces Dutch to do a risky job because Arthur and Hosea were absent while setting up a different score in the city. In Saint-Denis the issue was not that Micah was already talking, its that Bronte had already already informed every cop and pinkerton in the area that Dutch was working for him and in dire straits. And then after the trolley job the pinkertons are tailing the gang constantly, with help from the underworld. Dutch and Hosea try and pull a cattle town move in the biggest city in 3 states and are utterly out of their depth. Chapter 3 and 4 are about showing how Dutch and Hosea let hubris strike them down because they twice try and pull con jobs in areas they are unfamiliar. This is not the west where people come and go frequently. They insert themselves in settled palaces and think they can blend in. They are not prepared for the increasingly modern police force and pseudo FBI they are dealing with.

Abigail's escape is not really miraculous. The pinkertons don't care about the handmaidens of the camp, they want Dutch and the other triggermen. Ostensibly most of the pinkerton's are not psychopaths like milton and ross and would object to mistreating a woman simply to get a rise out of a gang. This is before the modern justice system so as she was not a target they just let her go and treated her as a local cop problem or even as a victim of the evil gang. And yeah its also possible Hosea just helped her escape and took the fall himself, he references being sick more than once and him sacrificing himself for Abigail would be entirely in character.

2. Bill and Jaiver owe their lives to Dutch, and why should they side with Arthur and John, the former favored sons now disgraced? What future do Arthur and John offer them? They are not willing to go into hiding in the north like John does, so they stick with a gang that can potentially help provide for them.

3. Yeah she gets done dirty, but I think its just to emphasize how fast everything collapses.

4. High honor Arthur would go back in an attempt to go out and taking Dutch and Micah with him. He knows they will also go for the money, and that is also a valid way of buying John time. Low honor Arthur would see it purely as a chance for revenge. Low honor Arthur is a mean, callous, and bitter man really.

The wheezing and stuff is brutal. One of the true tragedies of the story is TB is/was not a 100% death sentence, even back then people recovered, and many still lived for years and years with the disease. Doc Holliday, one of the main Arthur inspirations, is a perfect example of that as he lived for 4 or 5 years. The death rate was like 70-80% so not good by any stretch but Arthur as a big strong guy had as good a chance as anyone to beat it. What does in Arthur so fast is that he gets tortured and severely injured by the O'Driscolls, and then literally never slows down after the Saint Denis bank job. He gets tortured again and starves in Guarma, and then upon coming back is immediately tossed into the fire of a desperate few weeks/months (time is a bit sketchy) wherein he is constantly traveling, fighting, and exerting himself. He just burns himself out.

Something I noticed is that Dutch is actually nervous about the bank job. The pre-mission dialogue between him ad Hosea is Dutch saying repeatedly that he doesn't know about this and Hosea insisting it's the only plan that will work. Just kind of a contrast between the usual perception of Hose as the voice of reason and Dutch as way too gung-ho/cocky. But you make a fair point about Bronte and the lessons not learned from Chapter 3. Maybe that is all there was to it.

As for Bill and Javier, I understand Dutch saved their lives. But John and Arthur both had their lives saved by Dutch, too. That's one reason I think the Van der Linde Gang are morally defensible in some respects. Most everyone in there would be in a worse spot if Dutch hadn't taken them in, to give them a family and protection. Even Hosea talks about how he was a much worse man before meeting Dutch. So if Arthur and John could see past their gratitude, why not Bill or Javier?

Hihohe posted:

I never let arthur "go for the money" but i see how it goes and i think the choice of words is a little misleading.

Its more Arthur being angry and going for Dutch and Micah. Maybe to spite them... to kill them... to ask why. He just want to settle things with his Old family.

It also has that bad rear end version of Unshaken.

https://youtu.be/uSi83bmDvA0

And i hope you dont think me mean or that i tricked you. Its just that the whole scene is so heartbreaking but specially meaningful with Buell. It makes Arthurs "Oh NOOO" like a gunshot to the heart.

You could share that moment with any horse really but With Buell hes not only thanking the horse for his service, but Hamish for some happy moments in his life. :unsmith:

Nah, I didn't think you tricked me or anything. It was sad but it was also the most...fitting. I don't think I would have reacted quite so strongly to my other horses who I just bought.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’m the context of 1 Bill and Javier they did write backwards to make them not as bad a little out of necessity, but Bill has hints of potential brain issues that over 15 years could get bad and he follows his worst impulses, while Javier just becomes hopeless and nihilistic.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Something I noticed is that Dutch is actually nervous about the bank job. The pre-mission dialogue between him ad Hosea is Dutch saying repeatedly that he doesn't know about this and Hosea insisting it's the only plan that will work. Just kind of a contrast between the usual perception of Hose as the voice of reason and Dutch as way too gung-ho/cocky. But you make a fair point about Bronte and the lessons not learned from Chapter 3. Maybe that is all there was to it.

As for Bill and Javier, I understand Dutch saved their lives. But John and Arthur both had their lives saved by Dutch, too. That's one reason I think the Van der Linde Gang are morally defensible in some respects. Most everyone in there would be in a worse spot if Dutch hadn't taken them in, to give them a family and protection. Even Hosea talks about how he was a much worse man before meeting Dutch. So if Arthur and John could see past their gratitude, why not Bill or Javier?

Yeah Dutch correctly has reservations, but Hosea is desperate too and making mistakes. He has been since Clemen's point when he got cocky too and thought they could swindle both families. The difference is Hosea never wanted to be in that situation, he knew they were small fish in a big pond but once they were there, he reverts to what he knows and makes a play.

To me Bill and Javier is more about choosing a reliable gang than anything else. Arthur correctly says its all over. Arthur and John can't offer Bill and Javier much compared to Dutch. Dutch is still and will have Micha's cronies. So they offer an actual escape from the situation. Arthur is near death and they all know it, and John is currently wounded. Bill in the end is a mean spirited, nasty person so him just going with the more powerful option makes sense. Jaiver is the last to show up to the standoff and never even points his gun at Arthur and John. He just goes with the person he has been blindly loyal to in a snap decision.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I thought the (late game spoilers) dog stuff with Micah was a little heavy handed. We already have enough proof he's not a good dude by that point, does he have to be a dog murder too? Does he also punch babies and tear legs off of beetles?

RenegadeStyle1 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 30, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91xwKJLy9jw

Long before I played the game I watched this video. Having now played the game I can obviously identify voices and stuff. I always remembered the line "You lived your life like a man, Arthur, and you turned into a good man." Re-watching the video, I was like "that sounds like Reverend Swanson but I don't remember that dialogue at all when I played the game."

Dutch tells you about Uncle, Mary-Beth, and Pearson leaving but he doesn't mention Karen or Swanson and I wondered what happened to them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHc3tqrovTk

I definitely didn't get this scene.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You only get that Swanson scene if you didn't do the nun side missions, from memory. I had never seen it myself until it popped up on youtube for me like a month ago.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

You only get that Swanson scene if you didn't do the nun side missions, from memory. I had never seen it myself until it popped up on youtube for me like a month ago.

yeah its if you did not do the nun sidequests in saint denis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAdZPnxINQw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Honestly Sister Calderon talking to Arthur is also a "Have to do" for me

Its really the most vulnerable we see Arthur and it makes me tear up just thinking about it.